The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Tanking help, Vfrostvault

Emmagoldman
Emmagoldman
✭✭✭✭✭
Greetings all!

This patch i'm giving tank a shot and want to clear vfrostvault. I'm curious as to suggestions for clearing it and possible farm. I only got to the second boss with the group I was in.

Currently i'm running a stam dk, Imperial, with lover mundus

Health 38k:

Monster: Warden: Infused in heavy
Armor: Ebon All body
Rings: Powerful Assualt.
Weapons: Front Bar: Maelstrom S/B
Back Bar: Powerful Assualt S/B (lets me proc echoing vigor)

I'm thinking of Reinforced on Chest and Shield Pieces
Sturdy on small pieces
Defending on swords.

Does that seem like a decent set up? What sets have people been most succesful with? Any bosses in particular that you are switching sets for?

Thanks all!
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why do you use lover Mundus on tank? And you shouldnt need any defending/reinforced on your gear to nearly reach cap resistances with lord warden.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Third boss does very little damage. Wear whatever you want to buff the group and/or debuff the boss.

Fourth boss, you will want to tank the frost atronach and ignore the goblin. We have the tank pull the atronach away from the goblin, have the healer taunt the goblin (so that it stands still and doesn't run around), and just kill the goblin. The frost atronach hits extremely hard and I would advise dodging some of its heavy attacks. You might as well go selfish for this boss, since you are not in a position to debuff the target that actually needs to be killed.

Fifth boss isn't particularly bad on non-HM, and you should be able to survive without too much difficulty. On HM, the damage is much more and you will have to deal with a 60% healing debuff that has a 44% uptime. Our tank goes super-selfish for the final boss on HM.
    Edited by code65536 on February 27, 2019 3:12PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »
    Why do you use lover Mundus on tank? And you shouldnt need any defending/reinforced on your gear to nearly reach cap resistances with lord warden.

^This.^

Tanks generally prefer infused on swords with one crusher enchant. Mundus is usually the Atronach.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭

^This.^

Tanks generally prefer infused on swords with one crusher enchant. Mundus is usually the Atronach.

The enchant advice is outdated. Infused crusher should be on back bar ice/lightning staff or bow (for beginner definitely ice staff). Front bar can be whatever, because the effect is cut in half and is hardly worth it. May as well run defending at that point if you're not capped. And if you don't run those weapons, back bar enchant is pretty much irrelevant too.
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because I'm a noob tank :) but really enjoy learning the class. Usually I play pvp but I'm trying something new and I'm completely open to criticism and learning :)

Do you prefer infused on big pieces and sturdy on small?

Without warden proccing, I was around 28k resists (so probably 30k spell). So probably 32k with warden. As a rule, is 30k a good mark for vet dlc dungeons?

@code65536 Great adivice! So maybe on the last boss I can go with Ebon/Plague Doctor/Leeching/Imperium ect

For Mundus I meant lord for the health. OOPS! Morning coffee hadn't kicked in.

@ZeroXFF That's why I was thinking of going defending instead of infused. It seems like it has shifted.
  • BooPerScOOper
    BooPerScOOper
    ✭✭✭
    Still works - Liofa's build @Liofa
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UQI245JR9XI
    Edited by BooPerScOOper on February 27, 2019 8:15PM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because I'm a noob tank :) but really enjoy learning the class. Usually I play pvp but I'm trying something new and I'm completely open to criticism and learning :)

Without warden proccing, I was around 28k resists (so probably 30k spell). So probably 32k with warden. As a rule, is 30k a good mark for vet dlc dungeons?

@code65536 Great adivice! So maybe on the last boss I can go with Ebon/Plague Doctor/Leeching/Imperium ect

@ZeroXFF That's why I was thinking of going defending instead of infused. It seems like it has shifted.

The cap on resistances is 33k.

Also try this site to test things out https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?filter=mine
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I actually like steed for health regen and movement speed.
    Playing since beta...
  • Fellwitch
    Fellwitch
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the wall of text!!!

I pugged veteran frostvault last night as the following:

Warden / Nord / Vampire
    28k (32k buffed) health, 21k magicka / 19k stam / Ritual mindus stone

Resistances 32k for both

All gear is purple with purple glyphs :)
    5 piece Bahraha's, 5 piece leeching, thurvokun monster helm. Sturdy / reinforced / decrease damage weapon enchants

For 99% of the content there was no issue other than odd mechanics (lasers). I used horn on cooldown. On most fights I was assisting with healing as we worked our way through things. Pulling mobs into the pool of thurvokun helped a ton so we could aoe things down.

On the last boss the group had me face the Stonekeeper while they and the healer were on the back. They targeted the arm that does the spinning blade and not the fire arm first. I was able to keep up with healing myself but only just barely.

I did not get any heals from the healer and I do not know why that is because they were on the other side and maybe some mobs spawned..

The main attack of the boss would do about 20% health damage even through block. I have about 1400 mag regen and use the green stam regen pet. Surviving the flame from the arm was impossible without dodge rolling at least once to the side.

By this time I would pop a triple stat option and continue. Now the first arm would be dead and I would try to survive the flame arm. Group told me to taunt the centurion that spawned so I did that as well. Blocking a hit from him drops me to 50% health so I usually dodge rolled. Then I would heavy attack to get stam back, heal up, and get ready to dodge the flame arm again. Meanwhile I would pop my 30% DR ult.

Finally then the second arm would be gone and I would be dodging the centurion one last time before it died. Then the boss spun and killed everyone in the back as he shot flames out of both arm sockets.

We wiped about 4 times before we got to this point; I was not aware there is a 60% heal debuff. Then the group basically told me I suck horribly and my character fails lol... another guy said he needs to log but then no one left the group and I was kicked shortly thereafter. Maybe they found another tank and finished it.

In general I would say that for 99% of the dungeon everything had mechanics that you could deal with, with skill. Both arms and the heal reduction though seemed to be sadistic and not skill related but build related

I guess I can rebuild my character, drop vampire (no extra fire damage), and get some sets with higher health. The thing is though is that even if I had higher health it would not have helped because I was still having to heal myself and need regen.

I am always open to discussing changing strategies, but it was very disappointing to make it so far and then get kicked. I have many other sets I could have tried as well. Oh well.

I would be interested to know how other tanks heal and mitigate the end boss's damage.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fellwitch wrote: »
    I was not aware there is a 60% heal debuff.

The defile is present only in HM; you will not encounter it in vanilla vet.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

code65536 Great adivice! So maybe on the last boss I can go with Ebon/Plague Doctor/Leeching/Imperium ect

ZeroXFF That's why I was thinking of going defending instead of infused. It seems like it has shifted.

That explains it :D I was wondering why the lover is there.

Also the gear traits will probably come down to your preference. For example I want to get a lots of sustain so i dont need healers baby sitting me as much so I always go full heavy in sturdy. Same goal I would apply to weapons. For example even halved infused weakening enchant is for sure gonna offer more damage mitigation than defending trait. But you may want absorb stam/mag there to get more sustain. Mundus the same thing, you could want to try atronach to get more magicka for buffing and selfhealing but maybe you just like more health so you go with lord.

In my opinion dungeons are much more unique and individual experience than trials, so focusing on what you are missing most is good goal (sustain if you miss it, healing/tankiness if you miss that, dps buffing if you can afford it etc)
    Edited by SodanTok on February 28, 2019 12:29PM
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fellwitch wrote: »
    Sorry for the wall of text!!!

I pugged veteran frostvault last night as the following:

Warden / Nord / Vampire
    28k (32k buffed) health, 21k magicka / 19k stam / Ritual mindus stone

Resistances 32k for both

All gear is purple with purple glyphs :)
    5 piece Bahraha's, 5 piece leeching, thurvokun monster helm. Sturdy / reinforced / decrease damage weapon enchants

For 99% of the content there was no issue other than odd mechanics (lasers). I used horn on cooldown. On most fights I was assisting with healing as we worked our way through things. Pulling mobs into the pool of thurvokun helped a ton so we could aoe things down.

On the last boss the group had me face the Stonekeeper while they and the healer were on the back. They targeted the arm that does the spinning blade and not the fire arm first. I was able to keep up with healing myself but only just barely.

I did not get any heals from the healer and I do not know why that is because they were on the other side and maybe some mobs spawned..

The main attack of the boss would do about 20% health damage even through block. I have about 1400 mag regen and use the green stam regen pet. Surviving the flame from the arm was impossible without dodge rolling at least once to the side.

By this time I would pop a triple stat option and continue. Now the first arm would be dead and I would try to survive the flame arm. Group told me to taunt the centurion that spawned so I did that as well. Blocking a hit from him drops me to 50% health so I usually dodge rolled. Then I would heavy attack to get stam back, heal up, and get ready to dodge the flame arm again. Meanwhile I would pop my 30% DR ult.

Finally then the second arm would be gone and I would be dodging the centurion one last time before it died. Then the boss spun and killed everyone in the back as he shot flames out of both arm sockets.

We wiped about 4 times before we got to this point; I was not aware there is a 60% heal debuff. Then the group basically told me I suck horribly and my character fails lol... another guy said he needs to log but then no one left the group and I was kicked shortly thereafter. Maybe they found another tank and finished it.

In general I would say that for 99% of the dungeon everything had mechanics that you could deal with, with skill. Both arms and the heal reduction though seemed to be sadistic and not skill related but build related

I guess I can rebuild my character, drop vampire (no extra fire damage), and get some sets with higher health. The thing is though is that even if I had higher health it would not have helped because I was still having to heal myself and need regen.

I am always open to discussing changing strategies, but it was very disappointing to make it so far and then get kicked. I have many other sets I could have tried as well. Oh well.

I would be interested to know how other tanks heal and mitigate the end boss's damage.

Yeah so the damage you take and the healing debuff you receive are beyond brutal on HM. Running on a sorc tank with a clannfear that has an instant tooltip burst heal of 15k and can crit... with that healing debuff and some stacked boss damage, I still get absolutely melted.

I'll do you even better, with max resists, blocking, and popping a resto ult on myself, and spamming the clannfear heal, I would still get absolutely nuked by upwards of 32k+ damage over a period of only 2 seconds... and that level of damage can occur for upwards of 6 seconds at a time with a 60% unpurgeable healing debuff on your character.

Keep in mind that my tank build pretty casually handles every other vet DLC dungeon (all HMs) without the support of a healer at all, but that frostcaller boss is just unfair.

Any group that forces you to deal with the centurions WHILE you are taking that much damage from the boss WHILE the "healer" refuses to heal you... they are welcome to try tanking it themselves.
    Edited by Drummerx04 on February 28, 2019 1:12PM
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter