The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Unplayble ELder Scrolls Online for Pacfic Players Partiuclarly AU/NZ/Japan 300 MS +

• Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ravena wrote: »
    At what point does ping become unplayable?

100? 200?

No way. You’re fine pretty much so long as the latency numbers are white, so under 300 is totally doable even in PvP. When it hits red I believe that indicates you’re experiencing packet loss and that’s when you start to have real delays, abilties not going off, weaving issues etc. Even if you can steadily stay at 290 you should be good to go. But if you’re bouncing between 290-310 say, as I do, you’re going to experience issues. I used to regularly be at 260-280 using Mudfish from Thailand but as others say it’s crept up and now 280-310 is a normal good day. I haven’t played other MMO so idk what that connection is like. 300ms doesn’t seem unreasonable to me being half way around the world, but it is annoying when it’s been creeping steadily higher. That I don’t understand.
    Edited by Vapirko on March 6, 2019 3:59AM
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ArcaneBlue wrote: »
    my JP friends get less than 200ms the most of the time. I bitterly envy them

JP here. Sadly <200ms only applies to NA.

I started out on EU, then moved to Japan 4.5 years ago. Now I get 350-400ms consistently.

Thank Azura that I am moving back this summer. My country may be going to heck in a handbasket, but at least I will have reasonable latency for ESO.
    Edited by Iluvrien on March 6, 2019 4:20AM
  • Hiruda
    Hiruda
    ✭✭✭

If it is BS then maybe showing screen proof, will illustrate that myself and others in the pacfici are not speaking BS and this is an legitmate issue that continues to occur on a daily basis 400+ people besides myself have signed it and it will continue to grow. https://imgur.com/gallery/N893q23

YEah ok, proof
    Dont tell me there is only 1 server under 2 name, because this is my ping on EU and NA, and a lot of EU guildies have good ping on EU and trash ping on NA ( Im live in France, near germany border, maybe that change something )
    EU
    5BpnMiD.png

NA
    CmFFJEn.png
  • CJduthierwb17_ESO
    Hiruda wrote: »

If it is BS then maybe showing screen proof, will illustrate that myself and others in the pacfici are not speaking BS and this is an legitmate issue that continues to occur on a daily basis 400+ people besides myself have signed it and it will continue to grow. https://imgur.com/gallery/N893q23

YEah ok, proof
    Dont tell me there is only 1 server under 2 name, because this is my ping on EU and NA, and a lot of EU guildies have good ping on EU and trash ping on NA ( Im live in France, near germany border, maybe that change something )
    EU
    5BpnMiD.png

NA
    CmFFJEn.png

And I get that, I do I never implied there was only 1 server not to merely that for Pacific players the overall latency (as evidenced) by the photo I submitted shown an average of 310 ms. (For purposes of response to this post) i tried both EU and NA both for me as an Pacific player resulted in no change regarding latency
  • NoMoreChillies
    NoMoreChillies
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot understand any company ignoring a whole region of customers.
    Insulting people on the internet is cowardly.
  • CJduthierwb17_ESO

Totally agree i actually also found that services like mudfish impacted negatively on latency by approximately -15MS so instead of 300MS the average goes up to 315-320. SO using vpns in 2019 is not an way to postively change issues sorrounding latency within the pacific.
  • Undefwun
    Undefwun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like I said in the other thread....

VPN to Austin from Sydney to avoid the stupid Akaimai routing and I can get 277 standing around.. but BGs are like 340-350 min....

The problem with having an Oceanic server for me is this not an FPS. In Call of Duty or whatever it doesn't bother me, pew pew and it's done..... but with an MMO I really like playing with various people from over seas.

I still mash ppl at 350-400 in BGs... I'd settle for 200... no real reason we can't have that...
    Drank Sinatra Sr - PvP Magblade - DC
    Juggathot - PvP Mag Sorc - DC
    Jedi Mind Crits - PvP A-Hole Bowblade - DC
    Dollar Store Thor - PvP Stamplar - DC
    The Bone Sumpremacy - baby Stamcro - DC
    Wârden Freeman - PvP Stamden - DC (on hold)
    Lauryn Heal - PvE Magplar DPS - DC

Lil Orc Chop - PvP Stam Sorc - EP
    Hamuel L Jackson - PvE DPS & PvP Stam DK - EP
    Chandler Bling - PvP Magden - EP

Mahalia Lightborn - exiled crafting toon - cos you know, she's AD
  • CJduthierwb17_ESO
    Undefwun wrote: »
    Like I said in the other thread....

VPN to Austin from Sydney to avoid the stupid Akaimai routing and I can get 277 standing around.. but BGs are like 340-350 min....

The problem with having an Oceanic server for me is this not an FPS. In Call of Duty or whatever it doesn't bother me, pew pew and it's done..... but with an MMO I really like playing with various people from over seas.

I still mash ppl at 350-400 in BGs... I'd settle for 200... no real reason we can't have that...

Under for others in the thread where your issues the same bewteen the EU and NA servers (irespective of vpn) or is it close to the same like my situation with your average?
  • Undefwun
    Undefwun
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Under for others in the thread where your issues the same bewteen the EU and NA servers (irespective of vpn) or is it close to the same like my situation with your average?

Never tried EU.. never had the desire to...
    Drank Sinatra Sr - PvP Magblade - DC
    Juggathot - PvP Mag Sorc - DC
    Jedi Mind Crits - PvP A-Hole Bowblade - DC
    Dollar Store Thor - PvP Stamplar - DC
    The Bone Sumpremacy - baby Stamcro - DC
    Wârden Freeman - PvP Stamden - DC (on hold)
    Lauryn Heal - PvE Magplar DPS - DC

Lil Orc Chop - PvP Stam Sorc - EP
    Hamuel L Jackson - PvE DPS & PvP Stam DK - EP
    Chandler Bling - PvP Magden - EP

Mahalia Lightborn - exiled crafting toon - cos you know, she's AD
  • r34lian
    r34lian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lul imagine if zos decides to give us server and it turned out to be like eu ..
    2000 CP • 18 Maxed Characters • 6 Altmers • 7 Redguards • Necromancer Orc • Warden Dunmer • DK Nord • DK Imperial • Templar Breton
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know it's unfortunate, but I can guarantee that it was a business decision to do it this way. In order to put servers in different countries (especially the North/South Pole that was recommended in a comment) would require hoops to jump through that ZOS most likely deemed not worth the investment. There have been some Japanese games that I wanted to play, but faced the same problem you are now. It sucks, but I just came to the realization I would invest my money into a game that met my requirements (and a decent ping is one of them). I commend you for making a petition on Change.org but I think it's a futile effort, unfortunately.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on the number of customers, not the totality of the region, and then you can divide the number of customers by three to get to the number per platform before deciding whether it's viable to lease and service 3 servers on the other side of the world.
    Edited by Tandor on March 6, 2019 8:50PM
  • CJduthierwb17_ESO
    Tandor wrote: »

It depends on the number of customers, not the totality of the region, and then you can divide the number of customers by three to get to the number per platform before deciding whether it's viable to lease and service 3 servers on the other side of the world.

Players are still players so i wouldnt complain, then that is excluding those of us Oceania players who have been paying the 15$ per month in the hopes that zos would invest in oceanic infrastructure if the stance contiunes to be ignore chances i will soon take my money and move elsewhere and it does add up AU/NZ alone may not have a big population but by combining the Players of Japan,Au, NZ, Tonga, Samoa etc it would Add up very quickly thats what they arent considering here.
  • Shady_Knights
    Shady_Knights
    ✭✭✭

100? 200?

300+

Why? Indicator goes red in ESO. In my view, this then creates a situation where the connection is treated differently by the game server, likely to protect other players. Connection with 300+ ping create rubber banding, additional load etc.

When it lag spikes and goes to 999+ ping, it gets a new set of treatments which involve kicking the player if it doesn't stabilize.

When in a red connection, the chance to go from 300+ to 999+ ping is increased due to the way the connection is managed by the server.

This is based on observing how the game treats my connection. I don't actually know, but clearly if you are getting a bad connection then kick process kicks in.
  • CJduthierwb17_ESO

100? 200?

300+

Why? Indicator goes red in ESO. In my view, this then creates a situation where the connection is treated differently by the game server, likely to protect other players. Connection with 300+ ping create rubber banding, additional load etc.

When it lag spikes and goes to 999+ ping, it gets a new set of treatments which involve kicking the player if it doesn't stabilize.

When in a red connection, the chance to go from 300+ to 999+ ping is increased due to the way the connection is managed by the server.

This is based on observing how the game treats my connection. I don't actually know, but clearly if you are getting a bad connection then kick process kicks in.

100? 200?

300+

This pretty much sums it up, the higher the latency becomes the more (delay) between the game packets are sent (and when a response is sent back) a to high latency can result in issues like rubber banding anything in the range of 290-300+ this becomes really apperent and can lead to frustations, disconections, and death (a lot of it) at that. Resulting in less players enjoying - using the game = less profit
  • Shady_Knights
    Shady_Knights
    ✭✭✭
    btw...300+ ping is highlighting that there's an issue with the routing to the game servers.

I can ping NA locations between 200+250ms depending on where they are. I can ping a data centre in Texas right now for 220ms, this is where ESO is hosted.

My in game ping right now is 356ms, while doing nothing.

Latency is added to my connection due to the way Zenimax has chosen to route connections through APAC. This is out of my control. It is adding a huge overhead to my ping and creating a range of issues in game.

I'm pretty confident, that I can reach the absolute longest distance on the planet from my location with a better ping result than my connection to ESO.
    Edited by Shady_Knights on March 10, 2019 9:08PM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    btw...300+ ping is highlighting that there's an issue with the routing to the game servers.

I can ping NA locations between 200+250ms depending on where they are. I can ping a data centre in Texas right now for 220ms, this is where ESO is hosted.

Latency is added to my connection due to the way Zenimax has chosen to route connections through APAC. This is out of my control. It is adding a huge overhead to my ping and creating a range of issues in game.

I'm pretty confident, that I can reach the absolute longest distance on the planet from my location with a better ping result than my connection to ESO.

I don’t understand this. My routing service RTT graph typically display around 230-250 ms but in game it’s anywhere from 280-310+

I assume this is just adding in the time it takes for the server to make calculations as well as apposed to just a basic ping?
  • CJduthierwb17_ESO
    Vapirko wrote: »

I don’t understand this. My routing service RTT graph typically display around 230-250 ms but in game it’s anywhere from 280-310+

I assume this is just adding in the time it takes for the server to make calculations as well as apposed to just a basic ping?

Its not your kit its primarily the ovehead created by various complex systems that Zenimax has in place, including tthe distance between oceanic gamers and that to zenimax while ping is useful to identiy issues with routing in this instance its only one aspect that is cuasing the overall problem.
  • mrfrontman
    mrfrontman
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with OP. I've made a few threads over the years begging for Oceanic servers because playing with 300 ping is ridiculous.

Problems with 300+ ping in-game:

1: Bar Swapping fails 50% of the time in a large group

2: Ping spike anywhere close to a 1 shot mechanic and you will see your HP drop before you see the attack

3: Skills won't always cast in a large group and you have to try cast them multiple times before anything even happens

4: Light attacks randomly decide to turn themselves into heavy attacks

5: Dodge rolling out of red circles and still getting nuked by them (used to be able to get used to it but there are much faster circles in the new content now which makes it just about impossible to dodge out of)

6: Travel-to-player cancels out half the time

I love playing DPS but the fact it's IMPOSSIBLE to hit my top DPS PURELY because of ping which my character is capable of is the biggest let down and really makes me want to quit. I pay attention to trial/dungeon/vma mechanics, I study them thoroughly and know them well but when you're trying for no death runs the ping can become the most irritating thing ever. It's the kind of irritation that almost makes you want to throw your computer across the room. Not healthy for anybody at all, a game shouldn't cause that kind of irritation, it should be enjoyable and if you die to natural in-game causes then that's fine. Having it happen just because of your ping, over.. and over... annnnd oooover again is just ridiculous.
    I shouldn't have to quit a game I love and have put so much time into because of a ping issue. It's time ZoS step up their game and give us the servers we've been asking them for for years. They're swimming in money, literally pools of it and that cash flow isn't slowing down any time soon. Leaving us hanging for this long is a spit in the face. The servers could be set up easily and instantly if ZoS wanted to and it would barely cost them their pocket change. Show us you actually give a damn about your customers and players, otherwise, you're going to lose us.
  • NoMoreChillies
    NoMoreChillies
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Servers are not needed. in 2016 OCE players had 250 ping and the game was playable. ZOS hired Akaimi for DDOS protection and OCE players get +100 ping added. This is the fix we need. Fix Akaimi or watch OCE players walk.
    Insulting people on the internet is cowardly.
  • CJduthierwb17_ESO

Servers are not needed. in 2016 OCE players had 250 ping and the game was playable. ZOS hired Akaimi for DDOS protection and OCE players get +100 ping added. This is the fix we need. Fix Akaimi or watch OCE players walk.

They won't make this change, garuntered from a logistics perspective contracting either azure or Amazon web services is a quicker solution and outcome (I hope they are reading this) and making the changes as we speak
  • nud3_voxel
    nud3_voxel
    ✭✭✭
    Servers would literally be empty...
  • Raevyness
    Raevyness
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, I play with between 330-350MS of ping in Australia currently. It never was this bad, got worst the last few patches, use to be around 250-280ms. It's the worst and I'm over it. I've already decided to stop my subscription after the 3 months expires, I'm not the only one, A number of other Aussies are doing the same given the radio silence given by ZoS and the failure to address the issues with their player base.
  • Shady_Knights
    Shady_Knights
    ✭✭✭

If they simply addressed the issue with the delay added by Akaimi it would go a long way to the stability on a connection and the majority of OCE players would be supportable on this. It beggars belief that this hasn't been addressed.

I suspect why there's no answer/comment from an official for the Akaimi issue is if they admit that it has been impacting the connectivity for customers in Asia Pacific for months, then those customers rightly would expect some kind of compensation as the service they have paid for was not effectively delivered or supported.

The thing is, the longer this goes on, the worse it gets for them. They lose revenue as customers basically opt out and go somewhere else.

The case for a server stack in this region becomes weaker as the customer base isn't there. I wonder why they market over here though, yet must know that the connectivity in it's current state is not fit for purpose at over 300+ms.

I'm trying to play right now actually. Had a lot of issues with getting anywhere close to the festival Wayshrines due to many players being present and my connection dying. After multiple kicks, I'm now on error 307 which basically is a server side block to my connection due to latency issues. This is all about management from ESO servers, protecting themselves when under extreme load.

I don't have these issues (to this extent) outside of peak times, like on my evening.

I very much regret buying the four copies of Elsweyr to play with my kids as it's broken.

• Shady_Knights
    Shady_Knights
    ✭✭✭
    LOL - I just go an advertisement on Youtube by "Bethesda Softworks ANZ" advertising the Wrathstone official trailer.

All very impressive. Do they do any play testing from this region though? Doing something like Wrathstone DLC is simply not possible on the type of connectivity I have.

Maybe we should partition this marketing arm of the organisation.
  • Jameliel
    Jameliel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join the rest of us. Cancel your sub and stop playing so much. Senseless to keep supporting a company ran by incompetent hustlers who clearly only care about cash.
  • mrfrontman
    mrfrontman
    ✭✭✭✭
    confirmed I am using up my subscription time then I'm done paying a single dollar to ZoS

Call yourself Zenimax Online Services, yet there is no real online service
    Edited by mrfrontman on March 11, 2019 4:43AM
  • Erymry
    Erymry
    Soul Shriven
    I usually get between 300-400 on US and 350-500 in EU. I actually find it pretty manageable in PvE, but I usually pay solo. It can be painful in Cyrodiil though. I also occasionally get those days where the server just decides I'm not going to be able to play my video game, where I get 900+ and logged out every ten minutes. Pretty rough.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Haven't really had any problems, playing on satellite internet with anywhere from 800 - 999+ ms can do most normal content without problems. That said I main a tank.

Cyrodiil lags like hell but I don't play PVP much so not a big deal for me. Can play BG just fine.

Vet content varies can do most of the base game dungeons without too much difficulty, input lag is more noticeable on the DLC dungeons though, so I don't bother with them.

Trials, I do some on normal but never bother with them on VET.

Will say this I have a better connection to the ESO servers than I ever have to SWTOR servers.
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More and more of these threads.. Yet nothing done, its like they dont care about us as consumers.... How about as consumers stop paying eso+ and buying crowns and dont buy the lastest lag fest chapter. Use your wallet and 'reward' their lack of hard work
    Edited by Bhaal5 on June 9, 2019 10:07PM