The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ZOS, make is so that Steam users can log in without using Steam, pretty please.

Uryel
Uryel
✭✭✭✭✭
So, today wasn't just the day the servers died on us again. Today was also the day yet another Steam issue arose. Not much ZOS can do about that, allright, but say, how many times have you been barred from playing because of Steam during, say, the past year ? Lots of people couldn't log in for days, several times, and ZOS even acknowledged it by giving them free crates to compensate.

Today, people had trouble with Steam again, in the form of needing to redownload THE WHOLE GAME. And of course, once they will be done with it, they'll have to re-patch the whole game again through the launcher, because the download is wrong. It's not only happening to ESO, to be fair. But it is happening to ESO too, and there would be a simple solution :

Let people who bought the game on Steam log in without Steam.

They did buy the game like everyone else. They have a game account. With a username and password and everything. So, they should be able to use the account page to download the game and log in from the launcher, just like non-Steam users do. That alone would solve a zillion issues.

I play ESO without Steam. My wife wanted to play too, so I gifter her the game over a year ago on Steam, when there was a sale of sort. I'm not that cheap as to buy the game only on sale, I just know she'd have been pissed if I had gifted her the game at full price ^^' Well, I kinda feel bad now, it would have been better to pay full price and endure her wrath for a few days than having to cope with that sh*t periodically over more than a year.

For professional reasons, we do not share the same place all the time. So, we spend our evenings playing together to make up for it. And tonight is one more evening that won't let us play, because she has to redownload the game TWICE tonight. And she's on a basic DSL connection in the middle of nowhere, so it's gonna take her the whole night. While I do realise this is a very personal reason, I'm quite sure that alot of Steam players would like to cope with ESO issues only instead of topping them with Steam issues.

If something can be done, it should be done as soon as possible. You never know when Steam is going to keep you away from login in again. Well, not counting today, obviously.
  • Verbal_Earthworm
    Verbal_Earthworm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in the same boat as your wife (metaphorically speaking ofc).

My village doesn't have anything but DSL internet.

The last thing I want/need is to download the entire game twice more for no good reason.

It's a 16 hour download and I am currently at 48%.

• OolongSnakeTea
    OolongSnakeTea
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had the same damn problem here, and its to the point where I just want to throw my hands up. I have to much invested in my account to just 'get a new one', and its so frustrating to have to deal with this!
    "I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose."– Stephen King

• Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is more of a Steam issue than ZOS issue. The game is bought from them so its linked there and they make sure you start it with Steam, so you also see the Steam adverts.

Besides is it that big of an issue? At least i always keep Steam on backround and i dont even notice it if i dont play Steam game.. Only issue with Steam i have, is that when i play a Steam game and Steam crashes, the game also closes.

I only have issues with Steam couple times a year though, and they never last long so maybe you people have more problems.. I
    Edited by Tapio75 on January 30, 2019 5:21PM
    >>PC-EU Mostly PVE. Played since BETA<<
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it is indeed a Steam issue. And not so big an issue if you have a fast connection, at least when the issue is "redownload the whole game" instead of "you shall not pass". Then, connexion speed doesn't matter anyway.

But it is an issue that could be avoided entirely if people could simply use their login and password to play on a "normal" installation of the game. Steam takes a share when they sell something, but does that mean they get to lock people as they please ? I have no idea what the business relation is between Steam and third party game developpers and editors. But in all effects, Steam having issues effectively makes Steam users second-rate players for ESO, and this issue could be resolved by simply giving them the same access as everyone else. If that isn't violating some business agreement between ZOS and Valve, that is.
  • TankinatorFR
    TankinatorFR
    ✭✭✭
    Tapio75 wrote: »
    Besides is it that big of an issue?

Back in time, it wasn't, but since a change happened, a few years ago, steam player became unable to lauch the game without steam.
    When the login via steam stop working, ancient players like me just lauch it via the .exe, login manually, and done.
    More recent players can only login via steam, and it is often bugged, letting them unable to play, sometimes for days.
    There is some others troubles also, sometimes.
    Edited by TankinatorFR on January 30, 2019 5:31PM
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see. Must be frustrating :(

I am surprised to hear that the game does not work from the .exe file though. Do you still need to enter ESO password too after launching the game from Steam?

I mean i have Star Trek Online on Steam, and it works with its own password and username... Though i bought that game when it was still with mothly sub so i have the old style account.. But it shows its possible at least. Lotrpo requires its own account too. Both games are not originally from Steam but i installed them from there so i can keep an eye on how long i play or if a friend is playing.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am surprised to hear that the game does not work from the .exe file though. Do you still need to enter ESO password too after launching the game from Steam?

Nope, and that's why it doesn't work, I'd wager. When you log in from Steam, you simply click "play" on the launcher, and the game logs in automatically to the character screen. So there is some sort of auto-login that takes place and seems to be incompatible with manual login on a different computer.

I'm no coding expert though, so it might be something else, and there might be workarounds, or official ways to make do without Steam. The moment Steam is no longer needed, I'm installing the normal game on my wife's computer and let's be done with it. And I'm saying that as someone who has 200+ games on Steam... Just not ESO :)
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. So you dont have a separate ESO account. You use Steam account as a login?

Was just wonderinng, what would happen if you could download the game or install from flash media, would it work with that username and password.. Someone must have tried it allready i think.

In some games, one could use Steam CD key to activate/install non Steam version, but is MMO it wont work i assume, as it would mean a new account and then all you have purchased would be lost.
    Edited by Tapio75 on January 30, 2019 6:08PM
  • TankinatorFR
    TankinatorFR
    ✭✭✭

In fact, back in time, buying the game on steam was just buying the game and also being able to use steam to bought crowns. We still needed to create a regular ZOS account.

But at some point, they "merged steam users' accounts with steam" (don't remember their exact words). Since that time, people who bought the game on steam download the game just like me (from steam), but they don't have the same eso account than us. Their account is a specific one, only identified through steam. If steam cannot connect, they cannot connect because they use their steam ID, and not a "real ESO ID".
    So they cannot download it elsewhere because their ESO account is different, so their problem is with the connection, not the launcher itself. Well, maybe they use a modified launcher to support this modified connection but, you see what I mean ?

Also, if you have steam version of the game, you can only download it from the website. Even ancient players with regular account linked to steam cannot obtain it through the website. The website send us to Steam.
    But, as I was saying, downloading is not the source of the problem, it's the way they suddenly decided to manage new steam users accounts.
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is highly likely that even if ZOS wanted to fulfill your wish, they wouldn't be able to due to their legal contract with Valve Corporation.
    You're barking up the wrong tree :)
    Edited by Universe on January 30, 2019 7:44PM
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince
  • tomtomhotep
    tomtomhotep
    ✭✭
    I don't know about anyone else, but when I launched Steam today at 2:36pm EST, it not only started re-downloading ESO, it queued up another 5 out of my 7 Other games to be re-download as well.....
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks mate, but i knew about that already. And from the very post you linked :
    it also doesn't work if you bought eso after dec 2016

So... Won't work for everyone. Won't work for my wife, anyway.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uryel wrote: »
    If something can be done, it should be done as soon as possible.

Zos is likely not in control of the situation as it would be an obvious solution to let those who's games are tied to steam to bypass steam to log into the game. There is a contract between Zos and Steam that probably controls this issue. While contract terms can always be renegotiated, it may not be something Steam wants to let go of.

So, in the end, Steam is probably the company controlling this issue, not Zos.

But this is a lesson learned. Do not buy a game via Steam that can be obtained in another manner as it gives control to Steam instead of you.
  • schattenkind
    schattenkind
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    If something can be done, it should be done as soon as possible.

Zos is likely not in control of the situation as it would be an obvious solution to let those who's games are tied to steam to bypass steam to log into the game. (...)

The worst is, that they dont even care to bring up any solution. I've seen no official answer so far on the steam-unliniking-request. Even it there is some kind of contract, there must be a workaround. Leting the customers down, each and every time problems occure is - especially with the fact that NOT all players are affected - is a hit in the face.
    Thats not only since yesterday, in 2018 there were sh!tloads of steam-eso problems and it hits a lot of players.
    As stated above: steam-eso-users are second class and the next problems will come for sure - same sh°t, different day.
    Or to put it in zos words: deal with it, but give me your money.
    PC - EU
    Primary: PvP: magSorc, magNB, PvE: DK Tank, Templar Heal
    Secondary: PvP: magDK, Templar, PvE: Warden something
  • rcfrHunter
    rcfrHunter
    Soul Shriven
    I quit the game a few months ago, around August 2018.
    Tried to get back into it through my Steam purchase but I can't get through the infinite "Loading..." launcher glitch for the life of me... so rip!
    Luckily my purchase is quite old so i don't really mind getting another Standard edition key. Not sure if i'll get to keep my progress but eh, whatever.

Absolutely gonna follow idk's advice in the future. Steam is just another gateway to go through in this kind of situation.
    Edited by rcfrHunter on February 1, 2019 12:00AM
  • wolf486
    wolf486
    ✭✭✭✭
    Solution currently amounts to waiting for ESO base game to go on sale for $10 and re-buying :/ Got so tired of how bad ESO on Steam became I broke down and did that, so the only current fix since zos never fixes issues is giving them more money
    PC/NA
    Moved onto BDO and GW2 Skyrim, ATS/ETS2, ACNH and the overall goodness of single player games

RIP to the following:
    (DC) Tharbûrz gro-Glumgrog - Orsimer -Stamden (lvl 50)
    (AD) Vukz - Bosmer - Stamblade (lvl 50)
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just detached my ESO account from Steam a couple of days ago (bought it WAY after 2016) and it worked like a charm. You just have to buy the basic version of the game through the ESO-Store and link your account and Good Bye, Steam!
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    thorwyn wrote: »
    I just detached my ESO account from Steam a couple of days ago (bought it WAY after 2016) and it worked like a charm. You just have to buy the basic version of the game through the ESO-Store and link your account and Good Bye, Steam!

But is it the same account? Or one completely different?
  • wolf486
    wolf486
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »

Make sure you are logged into your current ESO account and just buy the base game on the website. You can then switch between the Steam and ESO client, same account.
    PC/NA
    Moved onto BDO and GW2 Skyrim, ATS/ETS2, ACNH and the overall goodness of single player games

RIP to the following:
    (DC) Tharbûrz gro-Glumgrog - Orsimer -Stamden (lvl 50)
    (AD) Vukz - Bosmer - Stamblade (lvl 50)
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do we need to do when the games asks us to download it all again ?
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Same account, all my toons are there, all my stuff is there.
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    wolf486 wrote: »
    Jhalin wrote: »

Make sure you are logged into your current ESO account and just buy the base game on the website. You can then switch between the Steam and ESO client, same account.

This works. As stated, just buy the standard version while logged into your account. Yeah, its not right to have to re-purchase the game, but being able to avoid Steam is completely worth it.
  • CasgarTheSomnolent
    CasgarTheSomnolent
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't had any issues with Steam in the past few days, thank goodness, and that's probably because I don't actually ever boot up Steam, even though that's how I purchased ESO.

1) I have Steam disabled from starting when Windows starts. Got to Run... --> Type "msconfig" and hit enter --> Go to Startup tab --> uncheck Steam Client Bootstrapper.

Not sure if that makes any difference here. I just uncheck a lot of things from startup to make the computer load faster. It's just one of the things I noticed about Steam not bothering me about anything, period.

2) I have a proper Windows shortcut to Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe pinned in my Start menu.

In my case it points to D :\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\Launcher\Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe

You can just right-click drag the the launcher executable wherever you want it and tell it to create a shortcut where you drop it.

This seems to completely bypass the Steam client entirely since I'm linking directly to the actual launcher and not using one of the quasi-shortcut URL links that look like "steam://rungameid/524220" that Steam puts on your computer when you install a game.

---

So, I haven't had any problems with Steam during this time. That's not to gloat; my setup just sort of happened like this over time, and I'm lucky at this point that it did. If you haven't already had to deal with Steam messing with things (maybe you haven't booted up ESO since this started), then taking these steps should keep you safe from Steam's interference.

For those already dealing with Steam's crap, Godspeed to all of you . I hope things get resolved ASAP. I just wanted to post that it's completely possible to bypass pass Steam to load up the ESO Launcher.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shantu wrote: »
    This works. As stated, just buy the standard version while logged into your account. Yeah, its not right to have to re-purchase the game, but being able to avoid Steam is completely worth it.

I can confirm this works, as I've done exactly that for my wife's account this week end.

It's a shame that we had to pay the game TWICE to solve an issue that shouldn't even exist in the first place... But at least now we only have to deal with ZOS's issues, not Valve's.
  • Bogdangc
    Bogdangc
    Soul Shriven
    You can bypass steam. Just buy a dlc from eso website or other source and activate it on eso website. Then you can start eso without Steam.
    Edited by Bogdangc on February 21, 2020 10:11PM
  • Pajor
    Pajor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I made my account with steam originally, but bought all the chapters and DLC from their website instead. Hate steam
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went with steam originally (June of 2018) because a friend said it was the best way. Um. Nope. I could not EVER get logged into the game on steam, and my ESO+ sub was trickling away day by day. So I threw a shoe at the wall (I get frustrated....) and then threw $10 at ZOS for a new game key from their store. So now I login by.... you know, actually getting to log in....
  • Neoealth
    Neoealth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Never have any issues logging in by steam now. Used to have very minor problems ages ago now and again. But even then only for an hour or two.

Never understood why people get so upset over steam. It's over all been a positive experience playing it on steam.
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, today wasn't just the day the servers died on us again. Today was also the day yet another Steam issue arose. Not much ZOS can do about that, allright, but say, how many times have you been barred from playing because of Steam during, say, the past year ? Lots of people couldn't log in for days, several times, and ZOS even acknowledged it by giving them free crates to compensate.

Today, people had trouble with Steam again, in the form of needing to redownload THE WHOLE GAME. And of course, once they will be done with it, they'll have to re-patch the whole game again through the launcher, because the download is wrong. It's not only happening to ESO, to be fair. But it is happening to ESO too, and there would be a simple solution :

Let people who bought the game on Steam log in without Steam.

They did buy the game like everyone else. They have a game account. With a username and password and everything. So, they should be able to use the account page to download the game and log in from the launcher, just like non-Steam users do. That alone would solve a zillion issues.

I play ESO without Steam. My wife wanted to play too, so I gifter her the game over a year ago on Steam, when there was a sale of sort. I'm not that cheap as to buy the game only on sale, I just know she'd have been pissed if I had gifted her the game at full price ^^' Well, I kinda feel bad now, it would have been better to pay full price and endure her wrath for a few days than having to cope with that sh*t periodically over more than a year.

For professional reasons, we do not share the same place all the time. So, we spend our evenings playing together to make up for it. And tonight is one more evening that won't let us play, because she has to redownload the game TWICE tonight. And she's on a basic DSL connection in the middle of nowhere, so it's gonna take her the whole night. While I do realise this is a very personal reason, I'm quite sure that alot of Steam players would like to cope with ESO issues only instead of topping them with Steam issues.

If something can be done, it should be done as soon as possible. You never know when Steam is going to keep you away from login in again. Well, not counting today, obviously.

I hear ya.. This is not possible in windows.. But ESO in Steam via proton is possible. Something to consider.

Also, get more than one game or type of game to enjoy with your wife when these sort of things happen.