Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you all think spear/polearm (or any new weapons really) is impossible now?

Lyserus
Lyserus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I mean, look at the amount of motif we have now

even though new class has 3 skill lines to animate, weapon only has one, but standard weapons like spears will mean 80~ new models need to be made for each craftable motifs

And I just don't see that happening

Which is sad, really.
I did the main quest line again and when they said there are masters of polearms among redguard ansei, they appear to just use staff and somehow became mage when they are raised from the dead
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouchy never thought about it....
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easy...old styles just don't get any for it.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not think anything is impossible.

If a new weapon line is added it is very likely to be magicka based. I expect the reason is pretty obvious but just in case, we have 3 stam damage weapon lines and only one magicka one.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

If a new weapon line is added it is very likely to be magicka based. I expect the reason is pretty obvious but just in case, we have 3 stam damage weapon lines and only one magicka one.

On the other hands, there are magicka skills than stamina skills.
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they find a good excuse why they need to put it in a crowncrate, it'll be done in no time ;)
  • Crimsonorion
    Crimsonorion
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, they wouldn't have to do much work. Look at the Mage Staff animations and the NPC animations for spears, they are the same.

The Crushing Shock ability from Sorc is a thrust with the staff, the Clench attack is a sweep with the staff, you already have the blocking animation. So really it wouldn't require that much.

Though I feel Murkmire was a kick in the gonads to the community that wants spears/polearms. Since in multiple area's can you see Argonian NPC's training with spears
  • Chronocidal
    Chronocidal
    ✭✭✭
    +1 for unarmed weapon line

0 weapons models and just the skill animations to create

let me get my monk on lol
    Edited by Chronocidal on January 27, 2019 7:55PM
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Spears would be easy just take the dagger for each motif and stick it on a staff shaft bam got a spear do this 80 times and we covered
  • Malfious1986
    Malfious1986
    ✭✭✭
    I've often thought that adding polearms should be implemented to add a little more variety and reach weapons would be a small but decent shake up to the game. Just just be a basic skill line you get by using the weapon, mostly stamina based but a few magika morphs. Woodworking should be the profession to craft them and most of the animations are already in the game. The motifs could pose a small problem but even if they were being lazy with it, could stick blades on the end of most staffs.
    Part of the PS4 EU Guild ESO - Expendable Heroes. Check out our Facebook Page! PSN Lord_Malfious
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well you could argue the new weapons are locked behind a new chapter with just one style available, and then the upcoming styles after that include new variations. woulnd't be too terrible imo.
  • Conduit0
    Conduit0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly think its inevitable, you need to add something new with each chapter and you can't just keep adding new classes and crafting skills every time.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly i could see conjured weapons as some form of hybrid weaponline which would also solve the issues with creating motives - with the character just equipping some focus stones with enchants in them.
    Edited by Derra on January 27, 2019 9:40PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give me a Scythe as a Magica melee weapon !!!!

• BrokenGameMechanics
    BrokenGameMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you step back a bit you can see that ZOS emphasizes character variation through Armor Sets which can be somewhat one dimensional. You can either go with the 5-5-2, so any of two sets, or go a la carte and toss the 5th set bonus and mix and match sets to maximize some base values.

One it is the easiest. A new armor set at most involves some modest change to the code base. But it is not uncommon for it to either be just a flat base value change of some kind or mirrors some existing functionality already offered by some existing skill. Basically, new DLC, new Sets is defining the Sets in some database somewhere and potentially modest code changes. In relative comparison a whole new skill requires much more effort from animations to implementing the logic in the code in comparision.

It would be nice and a great enticement for the game if ZOS came out and announced some sort of medium/long term vision map of releasing a new Class every year for the next X years. And maybe what the next 3 classes queued up will be. Same for the skill lines. At a rate of a new Skill Line AND a new Class every 12 - 18 months would be amazing.

Engineer or Thief skill line with all kinds of single target and aoe "trap" and CC skills. Brawler/Hand-to-Hand that specializes in grabs, tosses, knockdowns, dizzies, disorients, Ninja, Samurai, Melee Mage, Mortar & Musketeer (in a Hundred Year War sense, google is your friend), a Light or Heavy Calvary Class which launches skills from horseback in PVP would be interesting. I'd pay real money to cavalry charge certain ball groups out there in Cyrodiil If ZOS could find a way to heavily invest in this direction (many TBD announced skills and classes_ the game would gain users in leaps and bounds to cover the necessary investments.

It is probably impossible in an MMO of this scale but having Shield Walls and Pikemen to block keep entrances or make lines ...

I imagine that even the thought of going in and fixing the Flurry Skill's bugs would have the Dev's running for the hills. It is like they don't want to touch the code for existing skills with a 10 ft pool.

• Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think new weapons might be the main selling point for Chapters in the future because class-wise ESO is done now.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They should still do it.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I woudln't say it's impossible, but I would say that it's not going to be worth the effort for many reasons, including those listed here already. They would need to go add close to 100 different looking versions (one for each motif) as well as add many new animations.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you step back a bit you can see that ZOS emphasizes character variation through Armor Sets which can be somewhat one dimensional. You can either go with the 5-5-2, so any of two sets, or go a la carte and toss the 5th set bonus and mix and match sets to maximize some base values.

One it is the easiest. A new armor set at most involves some modest change to the code base. But it is not uncommon for it to either be just a flat base value change of some kind or mirrors some existing functionality already offered by some existing skill. Basically, new DLC, new Sets is defining the Sets in some database somewhere and potentially modest code changes. In relative comparison a whole new skill requires much more effort from animations to implementing the logic in the code in comparision.

It would be nice and a great enticement for the game if ZOS came out and announced some sort of medium/long term vision map of releasing a new Class every year for the next X years. And maybe what the next 3 classes queued up will be. Same for the skill lines. At a rate of a new Skill Line AND a new Class every 12 - 18 months would be amazing.

Engineer or Thief skill line with all kinds of single target and aoe "trap" and CC skills. Brawler/Hand-to-Hand that specializes in grabs, tosses, knockdowns, dizzies, disorients, Ninja, Samurai, Melee Mage, Mortar & Musketeer (in a Hundred Year War sense, google is your friend), a Light or Heavy Calvary Class which launches skills from horseback in PVP would be interesting. I'd pay real money to cavalry charge certain ball groups out there in Cyrodiil If ZOS could find a way to heavily invest in this direction (many TBD announced skills and classes_ the game would gain users in leaps and bounds to cover the necessary investments.

It is probably impossible in an MMO of this scale but having Shield Walls and Pikemen to block keep entrances or make lines ...

I imagine that even the thought of going in and fixing the Flurry Skill's bugs would have the Dev's running for the hills. It is like they don't want to touch the code for existing skills with a 10 ft pool.

I love where you are going with those thoughts. This game just isn't meant for shield walls and pikemen.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • SwedishMini
    SwedishMini
    ✭✭✭
    Spears would be easy just take the dagger for each motif and stick it on a staff shaft bam got a spear do this 80 times and we covered

That's actually a good idea...
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe, but we really need new weapons ASAP.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    idk wrote: »

On the other hands, there are magicka skills than stamina skills.

Not really for what someone would use for damage.

There is little difference between stamina builds because they have access to more good DoTs they are certainly at an advantage other than they do not really have the means for a good range guild.

So I do not see anything in your reply that suggest otherwise considering what makes the builds tick.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They would also have to make a new items for all pre-existing sets.

Its probably easier on them to make "X" guild as its at most 15-22 new abitlies <including passives/ult> than entire skill line + morphs + passives + backwards compatible

Not saying impossible, just a lot to cover.
  • Monte_Cristo
    Monte_Cristo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The jabs skill could be used as a model for some spear skills. I would also like the dagger light attacks to be more thrusting than swinging. Who waves a dagger like a club?
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    I think new weapons might be the main selling point for Chapters in the future because class-wise ESO is done now.

Nah, I'd still like to see a stamina based class with some magika morphs. Barbarian class, maybe?
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We dont need a polearm or spear at all, not necessarily.

All we need is a bo-stick/spear skill line with morphs to either one style, and then we could just use these skills when any staff is equipped. Would give a nice extra use of any staff.

In future motifs that com, they could add the spear or polearm visual and also to the racial motifs. I think that would be enough.
    >>PC-EU Mostly PVE. Played since BETA<<
  • Lyserus
    Lyserus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tapio75 wrote: »
    We dont need a polearm or spear at all, not necessarily.

All we need is a bo-stick/spear skill line with morphs to either one style, and then we could just use these skills when any staff is equipped. Would give a nice extra use of any staff.

In future motifs that com, they could add the spear or polearm visual and also to the racial motifs. I think that would be enough.

staves as spear/polearm would look ridiculous
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They already have Spear attack animations, built into the Templar's jabs. Taking parts of that animation as a quick light attack, or a slowed down, drawn-out heavy attack would be easy to do, surely. The only thing they'd need to animate from scratch are the weapon skills which is just like 5-6 animations tops (and even then they could reuse assets, like have the 'spear AoE' skill reuse the Templar's sweep).

As for the number of motifs, this wouldn't have to be an issue if they introduce Spears as a skill line during a chapter, like they did with Psijic skills. Some order of Spearmasters teach us the way of the spear, unlocking the weapon skill line, and a spear style as a reward for joining the order (same as the psijic armor and tattoos). And then there'd be 5-7 additional spear skins to unlock, as part of the new 5-7 motif styles that usualy get added with chapters.

And going forward in the following DLCs and chapters they can add spears to those motifs, without having to retroactively design spears for current styles (would make sense lore-wise too, with crafters starting to design and craft spears only after they were inroduced to Tamriel after the return of this random spear-wielding order or whatever).

I like the idea of spears, but in any case we really do need more variety in weapons, because they do get super boring since they've been around forever, still make up a large part of all builds (LA/HA, Blockade at the very least, even more for Stamina toons obviously), and are repetive across all classes...
  • dovakiin5574
    dovakiin5574
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They had spears in Murkmire, go see the Naga city. The animations exist. Unarmed also has animations. They very well COULD add new weapons, but I think the reason why they WON'T at least at this point is there is still a lot of already existing mechanics and skills they are trying to balance. Once they figure that all out, who knows?

Elsweyr would have been perfect to introduce unarmed as many Khajiit priests both Lunar and otherwise practice unarmed combat (See one of the temples on Khenarthi's Roost, the animations are amazing).
    PAPSMEAR - Positively Against Paws SMEAR campaign - Say YES to crown crates
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They really need to add spears to the game. Using aedric spear abilities looks silly when you're not actually holding a spear. And spears have always been an elder scrolls favorite weapon from morrowind.

I dont think they even need their own skill line, just add them into the drop tables, and add another passive to the two handed skill line... spears could have +7% crit chance, crit damage, or a small range increase on melee attacks.
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    Easy...old styles just don't get any for it.

Or just use the staves for their appearance. I mean, that's all a spear is... a staff with a pointy bit.
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    GoanJabsplar [Grand Master Crafter, Master Angler, Tamriel Hero, Explorer]
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    FigsStamblade Sneakthief [Master Thief]
    Sir PriceStamblade Bow Ganker [Daedric Lord Slayer]
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    WinniePetSorc Thunder Mage
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
    No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
    https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
    https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
    https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
    Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wands would be nice. Imagine a magic user tossing spells from duel wands.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso