The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

I'll be honest, I think TES VI will be a let down after 6+ years of ESO

• Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    Nah when TES 6 comes out, ESO will be almost a decade old game, outdated and old. TES6 will be fresh and minty.

Not if they use the same engine over and over again like they say they would
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »
    As some of you have gathered by my posts, I play mostly Solo in this game. But contrary to popular belief I do like the ability to play with my friends when time permits

Sure a single player game can have Better graphics and physics (especially if Bethesda would update their engine), but what about the environment. I've grown so accustom to being able to play with friends when I want that, depending on what modes of play are in the new TES game, may or may not be a let down. That however is not going to be the biggest fear I have of TES VI's launch.

1st, It is the living world that ESO creates, Real people vs NPCs everywhere. I'm afraid that the new TES game will feel dead after playing this game for 6+ years. My second fear is that Bethesda will realize this and try to correct for it and try to go a route similar to Fallout 76.

I'm not sure how I feel about any version of events that could take place when it comes to this franchise. Do I want a Single player only game, maybe a 4 player Co-Op game or just hope that this game (ESO) continues to have enough support that I can stay right here. I know I don't want every potential humanoid NPC to be replaced by a real person.

I'd like to see what some of the other long time TES players feel about my reservations and/or about the continuation of this franchise. Also, whether or not others feel the same or maybe has the same apprehensions as I do.

honestly i think the design choice was extremely poor to try to retro fit this game to a single player churn base population when paul sage left. i would have rather ZOS made a true MMO and Bethseda made a stellar single player ES game in the spirit of the others that proceeded it. for one i am a MMO genre veteran as well as enjoying single player RPG's as thats what i cut my teeth on. but ESO in its current state appeals to none of my gaming tastes.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think TES 6 will absolutely be a let down, but it has nothing to do with ESO.

If its as much an "RPG" as FO4 and Skyrim were, ill be passing on it.
    Edited by exeeter702 on January 21, 2019 7:47PM
  • Jolipinator
    Jolipinator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1st, It is the living world that ESO creates, Real people vs NPCs everywhere.

I don't understand this at all. What is it that real people are doing that is better than the NPCs of a single player game? Are you constantly duelling other players? Or trading with them? Do you only encounter roleplayers?

I can't imagine how hearing/reading other players discussing topics unrelated to the game (real world issues) is more enjoyable than immersing yourself in a world of NPCs who react to your actions, react to enemies, fight eachother, fight the player, and can be killed, unlike the "talking furniture" NPCs of an MMO.
    PS5 EU.
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Preparing yourself WAY in advance to be disappointed is no way to live your life.

I think it will be a refreshing change of pace when you don't want the MMO experience. The fantastic thing about solo games is you can walk away for extended periods of time and pick right back up where you left off.

I'm personally looking forward to it. If it disappoints me when it comes out, I will be disappointed THEN, but I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment NOW.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1st, It is the living world that ESO creates, Real people vs NPCs everywhere.

I don't understand this at all. What is it that real people are doing that is better than the NPCs of a single player game? Are you constantly duelling other players? Or trading with them? Do you only encounter roleplayers?

I can't imagine how hearing/reading other players discussing topics unrelated to the game (real world issues) is more enjoyable than immersing yourself in a world of NPCs who react to your actions, react to enemies, fight eachother, fight the player, and can be killed, unlike the "talking furniture" NPCs of an MMO.

I don't watch zone chat, I have filtered to guild only, and I still don't pay attention to that when I'm questing. I'm talking about NPCs running paths day in and day out to a point of being predictable vs. The real people that bring a type of noise that makes it more real to me because it is unpredictable, like real life. I guess I'm odd that way. Have you ever been somewhere and a fight broke out between strangers for no reason at all and had nothing to do with what you are doing or been to a game and a group of folks are standing with their shirts off in the bitter cold to root on their team? I don't interact with those people but never the less they are there.
    Edited by Casdha on January 21, 2019 7:43PM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Magilacuddy
    Magilacuddy
    ✭✭
    no, the ES VI is being developed by Bethesda not Zos
  • PapaWeeb
    PapaWeeb
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rake wrote: »
    yes

indeed
    PC EU
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Megatto wrote: »
    I will miss the ability to role play through questlines with friends.

However, Skyrim had much deeper questlines, interesting locations, complicated NPCs, and an overall richer character experience.

In comparison, ESO has breadth but not depth.

Skyrim barely had depth at all

Eye of the beholder.

Compared to TES III Morrowind where the how plot is uncovering the ancient events and figuring out what you'll do about it? Sure, Skyrim barely had depth.

But if you want, Skyrim is the story of a nation rent by past conflicts, centuries of border wars, imperial mismanagement, and turmoil caused by the rise of the Dominion and the Great War, which directly impacts the characters we meet in ways that the game doesnt explicitly reveal but nontheless drive the plot.

There's roleplaying depth to be found in ESO too, but I tend look at ESO's Skyrim vs actual Skyrim or ESO's Vvardenfell, and I'm going to repeat myself. ESO has breadth, not depth. It does very well at having sweeping landscapes and broad regional quests. It does less well at exploring new cultures or creating complex characters.
    -Barely any freedom
    -Very shallow rpg mechanics
    -Too many "essential" NPCs
    -"Civil war" with 6 stormcloaks and 7 imperials at the gate of the central "city" of Whiterun.
    -Guilds are literally "you're the master after 4 quests"
    -Bad magic
    -Zero in-depth character customization
    The only interesting mechanic was archery.
    Skyrim is only good for goofing around with mods.
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don’t have high hopes for TES6, but that has absolutely nothing to do with ESO. I think the majority of hardcore TES fans would happily put ESO away for a bit in favor of a new solo game.

My low expectations lie solely in Bethesda’s recent total incompetence. Honestly, I think it started a long time ago too. Skyrim was not nearly as good as its reputation; the lack of polish and good design/writing was smoothed over by its charm.

rip decibel
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give me a world as detailed and nuanced as RDR2's graphics, a good story and Jeremy Soule's amazing music and I'll probably be happy.
    PS4NA
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    dotme wrote: »
    Give me a world as detailed and nuanced as RDR2's graphics, a good story and Jeremy Soule's amazing music and I'll probably be happy.

Seriously - what more could you ask for? What a great combo that would be!
  • Commancho
    Commancho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Megatto wrote: »

However, Skyrim had much deeper questlines, interesting locations, complicated NPCs, and an overall richer character experience.

Skyrim barely had depth at all

Eye of the beholder.

Compared to TES III Morrowind where the how plot is uncovering the ancient events and figuring out what you'll do about it? Sure, Skyrim barely had depth.

But if you want, Skyrim is the story of a nation rent by past conflicts, centuries of border wars, imperial mismanagement, and turmoil caused by the rise of the Dominion and the Great War, which directly impacts the characters we meet in ways that the game doesnt explicitly reveal but nontheless drive the plot.

There's roleplaying depth to be found in ESO too, but I tend look at ESO's Skyrim vs actual Skyrim or ESO's Vvardenfell, and I'm going to repeat myself. ESO has breadth, not depth. It does very well at having sweeping landscapes and broad regional quests. It does less well at exploring new cultures or creating complex characters.

Skyrim had a beutifull living world... NPCs having their own schedules, peasants harvesting crops, people having conversation on the streets... Maybe story was not that deep, but you couldn't deny that they have created a very immersive world. Now, ESO is completly diffrent experience with all these stale npcs, monsters chasing you 10m and turning back... and last but not least - other players totally ruining immersion... No, you just can't compare these two games.
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This triggers me! :open_mouth:

Compare a line from Sotha Sil in ESO and whatever best line there's in Skyrim.

I can't really think of any moment in Skyrim when I had to stop doing things to wonder at what an NPC was telling me. This happened to me not only at the end of CWC but in many quests. I genuinely laughed and almost cried in ESO, nothing of that happened to me ever in Skyrim.

Quotes like:
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Quests like The Memory Stone (Morrowind), Manor of Masques (Summerset).

I guess at the end it's very subjective, but I had to protest. For me ESO writing is better than MANY actual single player games. Maybe all except Obsidian's.

EDIT: Ok, I remember chuckling in some Skyrim quests, but not as I laughed with Morrowind's Gnisis quest :P
    Edited by Loves_guars on January 21, 2019 8:30PM
  • SkillzMFG
    SkillzMFG
    ✭✭✭✭
    I definitely won't miss fat orcs wearing makeup and wedding dresses while wielding a 2 handed axe, tea baggers, lag and those sorts of things.

On the other hand I will miss my friends and guildmates that added a whole new level to the game, as well as my characters whom I have created a certain 'connection' with after playing for years.
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    olsborg wrote: »
    Nah when TES 6 comes out, ESO will be almost a decade old game, outdated and old. TES6 will be fresh and minty.

Not if they use the same engine over and over again like they say they would

If you understood what a game engine is then this would not be seen as a problem. In simplest terms a game engine is collection of different tools for developers to make a game. Engines are like corporations basically a bunch of things group up as a single enity. When they said they are using the same engine they refering to whole group of tools not just a single piece of tech. This means they are using the same idea (engine) but that does not mean they using the exact same tools. Example people think unreal engine 3 and unreal engine 4 are two separate game engines but unreal engine 4 is just unreal engine 3 with better tech tools and upgrades. A video game name Injustice 2 uses unreal engine 3 but the next game made by the same devs, Mortal Kombat 11, is stated to be made with Unreal engine 4. Fans of these game see the same graphics between these games. Shows all they did was upgrade their tools to the point where it now called unreal engine 4.

This means there will be a difference in engine for their new games. Fallout 76 has different tech in it that Fallout 4 did not have because they used different tools. Not everthing was shared like people would like to believe. So Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield will be a huge improvement over Fallout 4.
  • AerionMagnus
    AerionMagnus
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong. TES VI will be a breath of fresh air compared to ESO, even if it is the same as Skyrim.
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsweyr is already a let down for me because part of the main story being locked behind a dungeon DLC
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On a personal basis, looking forward to Elder Scrolls 6. Just hope the game is superior to Skyrim.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A single player game has way more room for improvements than an MMO, so no. TES6 will be fine.
    𝗡𝗼𝘁 𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗿𝘆, 𝗺𝗼𝗱𝘀. 𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗕𝗶𝗿𝗱 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TES6 will be a fail if they continue the trend of "dumbing down" the game that we saw in Skyrim. Instead of the rich complexity of spell crafting we had in Oblivion, Skyrim made it so all you had to do was craft a few hundred daggers or potions or whatever to make your toon OP against anything. I'll be really disappointed if TES6 is just long series cutscenes punctuated by furious bouts of crafting with the action button taped down!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After f76.
    Anything they do.
    Is a.
    Letdown.
  • Vand3ers
    Vand3ers
    ✭✭
    Big fat no. As nice as ESO is, it has and will never be as good as the mainline single-player TES games.
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Deeper than Eso yes but the quests were still shallow in comparison to earlier titles.
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • Ermiq
    Ermiq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bethesda Studios has to make decent combat system along with overall gameplay, controls and character physics. If they are going to continue with poorly done gameplay, I ain't gonna play TES6 just like I dropped Skyrim several times because of awful gameplay experience.

Also, they have to hire some adequate artists, designers and level designers at last. Or maybe ZOS guys could do this job for them.
    One of the two of us definitely has gone mad. It only remains to define whether this one is the whole world or just me.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Sick&tired of being kicked off from your house when you complete a dungeon? ComingBackHome addon is what you need!
    Me is russian little bad in english :b
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be nice to have a fresh new story in Tamriel without the “all stick and no carrot” MMO stuff. Do the task and get your reward instead of having to do the task 100 times and you might get the reward.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tholian1 wrote: »
    It will be nice to have a fresh new story in Tamriel without the “all stick and no carrot” MMO stuff. Do the task and get your reward instead of having to do the task 100 times and you might get the reward.

This exactly.
    forever stuck in combat
  • tuxon
    tuxon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bethesda won't update engine. PIR TES VI
    Resdayniil kan tarcel
  • Ermiq
    Ermiq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krayl wrote: »
    I feel the opposite. I think ESO has given them a real chance to experiment with things and add to lore and flesh out some figures in the TES timeline. I realize there are always questions about 'canon' and timelines and "BUT DOES IT FIT THE LORE???" but we have to be realistic - TES was basically created as a game first and a fantasy world second. The story was created to fit being a game, not vice versa.

The one thing that has always been weakest to me in the solo games have been the individual characters. I realize there are some beloved characters in all the games, but they have never really had the recurrence or personality that ESO has given them. They've always been very robotic, but as ESO has evolved they have really given characters new life and personality. I think that part of the storytelling will be a huge benefit to future elder scrolls games, not to mention all the ideas and systems that ESO has spawned.

I think those elements of lore and more character personality will add to the 'huge open world' concept and be pretty great. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I have high hopes.

Though I disagree with your first statement about the lore (I think both the lore and the game are important and none of them should be a determining factor, but both of them should be), I completely agree with second statement about personalities ZOS had give to characters. ZOS have done a really great job here, and they have did a lot of great stuff for the TES world (probably even more than Todd have done, imo).
    I mean, BGS made a great lore, and in 2003 and 2007 they have made very good games. But since then they haven't did much. Skyrim is a bestseller, for sure, but it's a quantity, not quality, imo.
    Tholian1 wrote: »
    I don't get it.

I see two options here:
    1. You like stories, and that's why you so disappointed in ESO because... because you don't get the reward you need?
    2. You like rewards, and that's why you are waiting for TES6.

Obviously, second is true. And I don't get it. What's the point of playing single player games mainly for rewards?
    Edited by Ermiq on January 22, 2019 10:22AM
    One of the two of us definitely has gone mad. It only remains to define whether this one is the whole world or just me.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Sick&tired of being kicked off from your house when you complete a dungeon? ComingBackHome addon is what you need!
    Me is russian little bad in english :b
  • Alex_Lex
    Alex_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read now the forum postings at the very start of ESO.
    ESO had great progress theese years and still goes on.

I am 100% sure ESO would be multiple times better than any ES6 game
    Except for overhaul mods - that's the only way ESO would definetly lose.

We have lots of chain quests, stories, references, common detailed and voiced NPCs
    Even concequences (they can be more often)

So no, ES6 has no way to be more popular and better than ESO
    EU: Beatrice gra-Brog, Rebellie, Yshterie, Jearra , Lirielline
    Christess, Fleuretta, Jubilee Cake, Braviliana, Onyxette
    M'adjirra, Dances-around-Nirn, Nerieth, Estrice, Ann der Wood
    Éternelle, Burns-all-the-babies, Jyggurag
    NA: Dice Twice, Nikka from the barrel