The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

MagDK is going to be hit hard

richo262
richo262
✭✭✭✭✭
MagDK, already underperforming is now going to take a further hit with the racials.

The most common race, for obvious reasons was the Dunmer. The Dunmer was required, with the extra Flame damage, in order to make the MagDK hit at a reasonable level.

I actually enjoyed playing as MagDK, there is something very satisfying in whipping your enemy across the face with a flaming whip. May not have hit has hard as others, but it was still enjoyable.

If MagDK gets a buff, then all Dunmer MagDK's will just become Altmer MagDK's.

There needs to be some for of buff to MagDK due to it already underperforming and the Dunmers role in that build.

What was once a pretty balanced debate between Altmer / Dunmer as BIS for mag has gone, the winner is clearly Altmer by a mile, for essentially all MagDPS now. Breton has an honorable mention, but Dunmer is out of the race. Dunmer can now Stam but has no sustain, so it falls short to Redguard.

It's a pity, I have just finished leveling my Dunmer MagDK, I am building one of each race, so I don't want a 2nd Altmer (I have an Altmer Sorc). Dunmer just seems lost now, the perfect synergy between Dunmer and the underperforming MagDK is gone.
  • Chirru
    Chirru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Should change your Headline to 'Dunmer MagDK'.

All the Breton MagDK will be doing fine.

Good luck to us all
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, there's no reason to be a Dunmer mDK anymore. Altmer, Breton, and even [snip]ing Khajiit have the advantage over Dunmer mDKs.

The Red Mountain is mocking us.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • necr0o
    necr0o
    ✭✭✭
    Breton magdk since 2014... no regrets
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Chirru wrote: »
    Should change your Headline to 'Dunmer MagDK'.

All the Breton MagDK will be doing fine.

Good luck to us all

All 3 of them?

rip decibel
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrobel wanted to go out with one last hit to the Magdk,
  • PathwayM
    PathwayM
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer was required? LOL k
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PathwayM wrote: »

Yes. LOL k

Unless of course you wanted to 7% below the other MagDK's, which was already far below all other classes.
  • PathwayM
    PathwayM
    ✭✭✭✭
    richo262 wrote: »

Yes. LOL k

Unless of course you wanted to 7% below the other MagDK's, which was already far below all other classes.

7% of a 9k whip tooltip is 630 damage. I'd trade 7% for the argonian passives any day lol.
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So all you do is spam whip? Interesting.

Some players actually use Burning Embers, Engulf, Wall, Eruption, Elemental Rage, Banner and Flames of Oblivion, all pushing our flame damage. All combined do a great deal more than 9k, and all just got nerfed by 7%.
  • PathwayM
    PathwayM
    ✭✭✭✭
    So all you do is spam whip? Interesting.

Some players actually use Burning Embers, Engulf, Wall, Eruption, Elemental Rage, Banner and Flames of Oblivion, all pushing our flame damage. All combined do a great deal more than 9k, and all just got nerfed by 7%.

You're missing the point. I'm not saying the extra damage was bad, I was pointing out their are other viable options that are often just as good if not better. I'd rather play an argonian and have infinite resources between potion cool downs and my ultimate than a small amount more damage.
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer do a heavy attack in my rotation when my mag is low and render the Argonian passive obsolete for DPS.

Of which, btw, my light and heavy attacks were also +7%.

My whip wasn't 9k either, it was 10k+.
  • PathwayM
    PathwayM
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer do a heavy attack in my rotation when my mag is low and render the Argonian passive obsolete for DPS.

Of which, btw, my light and heavy attacks were also +7%.

My whip wasn't 9k either, it was 10k+.

You should probably edit the thread to contain PvE somewhere in the title as well then because heavy attacking with a staff isn't doing anything for your other two pools in cyrodiil.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *shrug* The changes help my non-staff using magicka dragonknight with the extra weapon damage. Really, I don’t care either way... he’s a fun character to play now and that won’t change with these adjustments.
    Edited by Starlock on January 18, 2019 5:13AM
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    *shrug* The changes help my non-staff using magicka dragonknight with the extra weapon damage. Really, I don’t care either way... he’s a fun character to play now and that won’t change with these adjustments.

Based on your signature, I don't doubt that. For many others, their gameplay focus is to get the most out of their characters function, be it DPS, Healing or Tanking.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    High elf MagDk vs DW dunmer MagDk uh...yeah...right lol.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Won't make much of a difference for me...
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer for any magicka spec. There is not even a question about this. MagDK and MagAnything will be fine as long as they keep Altmer racials broken OP.
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But think of all the dunmer mag DKs (like most of them today) who has to change race to stay somewhat competitive. Think of all the tokens that will be sold. ZOS will swim in your crowns!
    EU PC
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fortunately I'm quite content with all the racial changes except for the Dunmer, and they are giving 1 race change.

My problem is, I only want 1 of each race :(. Dunmer just seems meh now.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My breton is fine
  • Lifemocker
    Lifemocker
    ✭✭✭

Yes. LOL k

High elf has 4% flame damage atm if I remember correctly?
  • Tawniey
    Tawniey
    ✭✭✭
    The most common race, for obvious reasons was the Dunmer. The Dunmer was required, with the extra Flame damage, in order to make the MagDK hit at a reasonable level.
    What was once a pretty balanced debate between Altmer / Dunmer as BIS for mag has gone, the winner is clearly Altmer by a mile, for essentially all MagDPS now.
    Dunmer just seems lost now, the perfect synergy between Dunmer and the underperforming MagDK is gone.

On today's episode of "Why You're Over-Reacting to the Racial Changes":

The new spell damage buff outperforms the old 7% flame damage buff.

Look, I play a Dunmer magdk. I play two of them, actually. Full on Sun and Burning Spellweave and Skoria, all that jazz. Right now, people are fear-mongering because they don't understand the math behind the %->flat changes and what it means for their build. They're scared because they see classes with build diversity potential in their passives and think the new intended racial meta is a nonviable hybrid build. It's just not the case.

Since you like Flame Lash so much, take a look at these two skill tooltips:
    df2082cfc4.png

514995718a.png

I won't ask you to guess which is showing the old and which is showing the new dunmer passives, because you'd likely get it wrong. Instead I'll just repeat myself: The new passive outperforms the old one.
    [ESO-Database Profile] | [Ridiculous TES Musings]
    [ESO Fanfic: Soulbound]
    (site being revamped, pardon for now)
    —✩—
    they/them
    PC-NA | Playing since 2015
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My present tool tip puts my Dunmer MagDK at ~10900.

Anyway, I have said in other posts about Race change that there is only 1 race I'd want to change, but even then I'll wait to see how it performs in practice.

On paper, at this stage, I stand to lose nearly 3k dps on my magDK.

It is also not just DPS, the Dunmer loses on, it loses on sustain too. So even if the DPS is nerfed with Fire %, but buffed with Spell damage to normalise it to how it was, the Dunmer is still left with less Magicka (also effecting DPS) to utilise.
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I played Dunmer mDK since the game came out as main character. Well I took a long brake in between.
    I have seen the mDK at its prime, I have done full mDK Meta Trials. When I came back to the game around 3 months ago, I was shocked what DKs have become as a class.
    When I approached my old guild, they told me, Shelve that DK, its useless now.

This year I hoped with the new chapter and DLCs we might see DK be viable again. But what do they do? Ridicuously nerf the best synergizing race to go along with the mDK.

Why the heck do you want to be DKs such a bad performing class in the game ZOS. I do not understand. Why is our main race getting transformed 180°. I cant get a reason behind this..

You want us all to be Altmer NightBlades now or what..

These racials literally force the meta to play 2 classes only. Altmer and Redguard. It´s a shame..
    Edited by xMovingTarget on January 18, 2019 9:34AM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played Dunmer mDK since the game came out as main character. Well I took a long brake in between.
    I have seen the mDK at its prime, I have done full mDK Meta Trials. When I came back to the game around 3 months ago, I was shocked what DKs have become as a class.
    When I approached my old guild, they told me, Shelve that DK, its useless now.

This year I hoped with the new chapter and DLCs we might see DK be viable again. But what do they do? Ridicuously nerf the best synergizing race to go along with the mDK.

Why the heck do you want to be DKs such a bad performing class in the game ZOS. I do not understand. Why is our main race getting transformed 180°. I cant get a reason behind this..

You want us all to be Altmer NightBlades now or what..

These racials literally force the meta to play 2 classes only. Altmer and Redguard. It´s a shame..

It's ZOS way - if some class is underperforming in it's role, nerf it further move it to pvp to prevent any debates on it's.
  • Lifemocker
    Lifemocker
    ✭✭✭

Well I kinda see it as Dunmer and Redguard atm so
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tawniey wrote: »
    What was once a pretty balanced debate between Altmer / Dunmer as BIS for mag has gone, the winner is clearly Altmer by a mile, for essentially all MagDPS now.
    Dunmer just seems lost now, the perfect synergy between Dunmer and the underperforming MagDK is gone.

On today's episode of "Why You're Over-Reacting to the Racial Changes":

The new spell damage buff outperforms the old 7% flame damage buff.

Look, I play a Dunmer magdk. I play two of them, actually. Full on Sun and Burning Spellweave and Skoria, all that jazz. Right now, people are fear-mongering because they don't understand the math behind the %->flat changes and what it means for their build. They're scared because they see classes with build diversity potential in their passives and think the new intended racial meta is a nonviable hybrid build. It's just not the case.

Since you like Flame Lash so much, take a look at these two skill tooltips:
    df2082cfc4.png

514995718a.png

I won't ask you to guess which is showing the old and which is showing the new dunmer passives, because you'd likely get it wrong. Instead I'll just repeat myself: The new passive outperforms the old one.

I duuno on which dps numbers you based the statement that 258 sd is stronger then 7% firedmg...

Somehwere I ve seem a post yesterday, where the math was done for dunmer magdk...the 7% turned out to be arround 500SD....so way more than 258 SD.

So feel free to provide actual numbers that proves that this is a buff for dunmer magdk.

At best provide a formula with the explanations for it. Then we can have a talk.

I assume that those 258 SD can be a buff IF your average DPS was below a certain Level.

PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lifemocker wrote: »

Well I kinda see it as Dunmer and Redguard atm so

I am not talking about pvp ;)
  • Finviuswe
    Finviuswe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magdk gave me trouble in duels but it suffered in group play it was out outclassed it didn't have the versatility of other classes
    Edited by Finviuswe on January 18, 2019 10:20AM
  • AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    They've been trying to kill mDK's since 1.6. I think they've finally done it.

So much for play how you want.

smh
    Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror