The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Will you be using the Free Race Change?

• tactx
    tactx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No i wont be changing races
    Absolutely not. People are already used to carrying me so... no real change.
    “No one's happiness but my own is in my power to achieve or to destroy.” - John Galt, Atlas Shrugged
  • Ananoriel
    Ananoriel
    ✭✭✭
    No, I made my characters with a race/playstyle combination that fits their personality in mind. Changing a race would change the character I like.

I am not happy with all racial changes (dunmer especially), but I am way too attached to my characters. I prefer that than making everything precisely according to the meta.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll have to look over it more/See if ZoS make any other changes
    Maybe, though it's less to do with ZOS making other changes and more to do with just "do I want to?"
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I might. Never been overly happy with the look of my Imperial Stamblade. He is my very first character.

May use it to tweak a bit here and there to make him a bit more "refined".
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might. Never been overly happy with the look of my Imperial Stamblade. He is my very first character.

May use it to tweak a bit here and there to make him a bit more "refined".

Oh. Hmmm. I never thought about that. I have a khajiit whose looks I've never been happy with. In that case, maybe - and too bad I can't change my vote....

• OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I probably won't use any token(s) they give us but I'd want to test the changes on the PTS in it's close-to-final form before judging the changes completely.
  • Rygonix
    Rygonix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dunmer is staying the same. However one of my alt pvp characters might see a change, although doubtful.
    Ceres Des Mortem-Dark Elf Templar, EP
    PC-NA
  • XDark_One13
    XDark_One13
    ✭✭✭
    I will using it to change the appearance of a character but not her race.
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My game characters are like real characters to me, like a character I'd write for a story... that's how I view characters I make for playing games... so, in that perspective, it really makes no sense "changing race", or changing anything...

It would be like in a book the protagonist suddenly becomes a different person from one page to another.

EDIT: At least, for the characters I play... I have some mules that I could use the token on, if I ever decide to play them... if only I could be able to change alliance, though :/
    Edited by leeux on January 19, 2019 2:23AM
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • mreisse
    mreisse
    ✭✭✭
    I still have 4 character slots open. I will bank that race change for who knows what contingency... it's hardly urgent in my situation for Update 21 whenever it lands.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    leeux wrote: »
    My game characters are like real characters to me, like a character I'd write for a story... that's how I view characters I make for playing games... so, in that perspective, it really makes no sense "changing race", or changing anything...

It would be like in a book the protagonist suddenly becomes a different person from one page to another.

EDIT: At least, for the characters I play... I have some mules that I could use the token on, if I ever decide to play them... if only I could be able to change alliance, though :/

Well.... as a writer myself.... I have had "one of those" - where the protagonist became not only a different person.... but a different race.... and gender.

Still, ain't hap'nin in this game.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I will be changing race
    Yes, I had planned to change my stamblade to an orc so I'll do that for free now
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta get my stam sorc that Bosmeri speedy buff.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I admit I started playing Bretons for their physical and magical resistances at the beginning (in Oblivion), but now my Breton characters feel like a second skin, so my reasons for playing them now are completely unrelated to gameplay and passives.
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will change one of my dunmer.
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    leeux wrote: »

Well.... as a writer myself.... I have had "one of those" - where the protagonist became not only a different person.... but a different race.... and gender.

Still, ain't hap'nin in this game.

Gotcha! but if you do that you have to do some work and do some proper setup and context for it to happen... is not something that can happen randomly, and the story/plot has to be worked out in order for something like that to make sense, right?

Still, it's something intriguing now that you mentioned :smile:
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • hakan
    hakan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we use it as an appearence change?
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hakan wrote: »
    Can we use it as an appearence change?

Never done it, but it would make sense you would be prompted to change your appearance after your race, rather than end up a scaley kitteh.

If so, you can probably just select the same race.
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wasn't going to either, but I've got a fugly Dunmer who needs to either be a smexy Nord or get a massive facial overhaul.
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I might use it as an appearance change, but I will not be changing races on any of my toons. While I have carefully built my characters' race around class and role choice, I am not an uber meta chaser. I have no argonian tanks or redguard stam dps (the only metas I might have are khajiit NB and Breton Templar Healer). I love my Nord sorc tank, my Bosmer bow warden, and Dunmer magplar. They are characters in a story, and they are people in a world, and changing who they are is like deleting a character from a book to me. No I'm not a role player (except maybe in my head) but my characters are more to me than just game stats and scores. Yes I'll have to rebuild their builds to reflect some of these changes, and on some of them it's going to hurt, but I'm not doing any kind of race surgery.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well now that Khajiit are more magical and are the only ones with a stealth passive, I might just turn my Argonian Magblade crafter into one :p
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    ZonasArch wrote: »
    The only reason why I'll change a race is because I got tired if my wood elf boy NB and want him as a khajiit girl now and instead of rerolling and losing full horse training, I'll be able to keep it, at the expense of weird name for this new girl.

Quite sure you cant change your sex though

You can...it works like appearance change token too.
    Tasear wrote: »
    ZonasArch wrote: »
    The only reason why I'll change a race is because I got tired if my wood elf boy NB and want him as a khajiit girl now and instead of rerolling and losing full horse training, I'll be able to keep it, at the expense of weird name for this new girl.

Quite sure you cant change your sex though

You can...it works like appearance change token too.

Orphan raised by Argonian parents?
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Hixtory
    Hixtory
    ✭✭✭✭
    AndrejLeo wrote: »
    Looking at the Passive Changes, will you be changing one of your mains, If you are please say why and maybe From which race to which race.

Well I race changed my DK to dunmer bc I wanted that extra flame damage, now that is being shafted. Im writing a ticket to demand a refund but Im not sure they will be giving me this. So for this reason I do plan to use that race change BACK to altmer. Sigh...
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After much agonising thought and discussion with my es playing friend, I can honestly say that I'm not sure what I will do.
    Edited by wishlist14 on March 2, 2019 7:11AM
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Replying to see what I voted....

Update: don't know yet
    Edited by Dojohoda on March 2, 2019 6:43AM
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • twilightwarrick
    twilightwarrick
    ✭✭✭
    well I would like to change my nerfed wood elf night blade to a dark elf being a new vampire, and with the extra damage and stamina buffs think it would be better, than the roll dodge and stamina boost from wood elf.
    However I found I'm unable to do this without investing $30 nz in the all race dlc ,

and there's no way I'm paying that much just for a race change so it looks like I'm a bit screwed
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My characters are characters first, classes second.

My Khajiit chose to be a sorc because the old Skool passives favoured this. He’s NOT a Khajiit because I wanted a(nother) sorc. If I was going to change anything it would be his class NOT his race. Changing race makes him a totally different character, changing class is just like giving him a different job.

It’s crap that ZOS think that changing race is the answer here. It makes me think they don’t really understand anything about the character development process from a player’s perspective.