The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Make Race Cosmetic

• mxxo
    mxxo
    ✭✭✭✭
    MaxJrFTW wrote: »
    CipherNine wrote: »
    Casuals always trying to ruin games for everyone else. I hope they don't make this mistake. Homogenization ruined World of Warcraft, a game that used to have 12m subs and will probably be dead within two years. Just keep that in mind.

lol it would not ruin the game in the least. What is it with you people and your entire enjoyment of the game revolving around racial passives? You must not enjoy the game that much if they matter so much. The racial passives have never made any sense anyway.

When you lock a race down to the 1 set of passives. You are saying every person of that certain race is the same. Which is just idiotic especially in the Elder Scrolls world. I'm sick of hearing the Lore card thrown around in defense of passives. That makes even less sense.

If you want to throw around the Lore card well then racial passives should be a choice we make to fit whatever role we want to play. The current passives do not fit the lore whatsoever. Seeing as how the greatest mage of the 1st era, Shalidor. Is a NORD! Yet Nords have no magicka passives. Yet there is tons of Nord mages in their mages guild.

If your reasons for having racial passives is for lore reasons. Then nords should have no mages guild or any mages. same with every other race that dont have passives for magicka.

Lore is a stupid defense for keeping Racial passives. It's a baseless argument.

Daggerfall racials - https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Races

Morrowind racials - https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Races

Oblivion racials - https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Races

Skyrim racials - https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Races

ESO racials - https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Races

Oh, what's that? Racials have always been a core part of The Elder Scrolls franchise? Choosing a race has always mattered? Who would have thought?

The moment they remove racials, this stops being an elder scrolls game. The moment this stops being an elder scrolls game, they lose the people that are here because they fell in love with The Elder Scrolls franchise for what it is. And they would do so in favor of those who would rid the franchise of core elements, for the sake of capricious self entitlement. Casuals will never be happy with a game until the company developing it bends over and satisfies their every whim.

Always does not mean for all ages. And a Single Player Game is no MMO. And even every MMO is unique to some extent. And if we would still do things as always, we would throw stones in a river. (Doesnt mean it cant be funny sometimes ;D)

And i love Elder Scrolls because they are not "Always" Games ;D
    Edited by mxxo on January 19, 2019 10:46AM
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The moment they remove racials, this stops being an elder scrolls game. The moment this stops being an elder scrolls game, they lose the people that are here because they fell in love with The Elder Scrolls franchise for what it is.

No.
    It being an Elder Scrolls game relies on the world and setting, and hopefully a general feel of the game.
    Rules are secondary to that at best. The rule system has changed quite heavily over the decades. That doesn't have any influence on the games being Elder Scrolls or not.
    Trying to hang that on this one particular - and very minor - detail of the game rules, is misrepresenting of what "an Elder Scrolls game" is about.

Also, casuals should rule.
  • CipherNine
    CipherNine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CipherNine wrote: »
    Casuals always trying to ruin games for everyone else. I hope they don't make this mistake. Homogenization ruined World of Warcraft, a game that used to have 12m subs and will probably be dead within two years. Just keep that in mind.

lol it would not ruin the game in the least. What is it with you people and your entire enjoyment of the game revolving around racial passives? You must not enjoy the game that much if they matter so much. The racial passives have never made any sense anyway.

When you lock a race down to the 1 set of passives. You are saying every person of that certain race is the same. Which is just idiotic especially in the Elder Scrolls world. I'm sick of hearing the Lore card thrown around in defense of passives. That makes even less sense.

If you want to throw around the Lore card well then racial passives should be a choice we make to fit whatever role we want to play. The current passives do not fit the lore whatsoever. Seeing as how the greatest mage of the 1st era, Shalidor. Is a NORD! Yet Nords have no magicka passives. Yet there is tons of Nord mages in their mages guild.

If your reasons for having racial passives is for lore reasons. Then nords should have no mages guild or any mages. same with every other race that dont have passives for magicka.

Lore is a stupid defense for keeping Racial passives. It's a baseless argument.

Daggerfall racials - https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Races

Morrowind racials - https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Races

Oblivion racials - https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Races

Skyrim racials - https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Races

ESO racials - https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Races

Oh, what's that? Racials have always been a core part of The Elder Scrolls franchise? Choosing a race has always mattered? Who would have thought?

The moment they remove racials, this stops being an elder scrolls game. The moment this stops being an elder scrolls game, they lose the people that are here because they fell in love with The Elder Scrolls franchise for what it is. And they would do so in favor of those who would rid the franchise of its core elements, for the sake of capricious self entitlement. Casuals will never be happy with a game until the company developing it bends over and satisfies their every whim.

lol oh nice try.I have never known anyone ever choosing a race in the single player games based on the racials. They were so negligible they didn't matter at all. Stop acting like the racial in the single player games had the same impact on gameplay as they do in ESO. Your argument has no bases. The racials in all the other games had no impact on the type of character you played.
    It's completely different in ESO. There is races that are drastically more viable then others which NO does not fit into an Elder Scrolls game. end of story. nice try though trying to act like the single player games racials are even remotely similar
    Edited by CipherNine on January 19, 2019 11:05AM
    PC-NA
    Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Argonian Necromancer - Healer
    Breton Warden - Healer
    Nord Necromancer - Tank
    Argonian Templar - Tank
    Nord Warden - Tank
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Varana wrote: »
    The moment they remove racials, this stops being an elder scrolls game. The moment this stops being an elder scrolls game, they lose the people that are here because they fell in love with The Elder Scrolls franchise for what it is.

No.
    It being an Elder Scrolls game relies on the world and setting, and hopefully a general feel of the game.
    Rules are secondary to that at best. The rule system has changed quite heavily over the decades. That doesn't have any influence on the games being Elder Scrolls or not.
    Trying to hang that on this one particular - and very minor - detail of the game rules, is misrepresenting of what "an Elder Scrolls game" is about.

Casuals don't drive a game. 4k people are not tuning in every day to watch Fengrush on twitch because he is a casual.

Either way, have a nice day!
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be cool if you could change your racial passives after completing Cadwells silver/gold.
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • ebls_BR
    ebls_BR
    ✭✭✭
    lol, I imagine if Disney MCU make a spider man movie, where the spider have all the hulk superpowers instead of his own powers... "Ah, but look at the suit, it's spider man".

Racial passives are a fundamental part of TES lore. It's like cultural and religious features of each race. If dunmers, for instance, are not proficient in destruction spells or don't have fire resistance, you won't feel playing with a dunmer like in previous games. It's like going to Morrowind and not see giant mushrooms or lava and ash.
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the idea of making race just a cosmetic. I hate being forced by meta to look certain way. SOme time ago I wanted to make a new magblade. I wanted to make a Bosmer or High Elf, because I like their appearance, but ended up making a Dunmer because I wanted the highest dps.
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, this is an Elder Scrolls game and in Elder Scrolls race is more than an aesthetic choice. In my view ESO power gamers need to own the costs of their playstyle. WoW players have long accepted that wanting always to play at max level has a price--both financial and in terms of character identity. Undermining the lore of the game (and the identities of all characters) so that your character's advantages will remain constant at no cost to you is not in the interests of a healthy and diverse role-playing game.

And, no, play is not inherently about competition.
  • Vecro
    Vecro
    ✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    Vecro wrote: »
    zyk wrote: »
    Vecro wrote: »
    The problem is the toxicity that the min-maxers perpetuate...

What a ridiculous statement. Min maxing just means intelligent character design. There's no correlation between intelligence and toxicity.

I consider myself to be a pretty casual gamer, but I still like to make intelligent choices when I game, so I always select the race with the stats that best suit the role I intend for the character. That's not elitism, that's called playing a game.

You can make intelligent choices without being a mindless sheep. The toxicity comes from min-maxers pushing and pressuring everyone else. The Devs obviously agree thus the direction they are currently taking.

What you describe is impossible. Min-maxers, people who make optimal builds, are incapable of forcing others to use them.

It is not toxic for raids that have requirements. That is their prerogative. If you don't like their rules, then find a group with rules you can agree to or form your own.

The move by the devs shows that they want to make race less relevant, but that will not change that some raids will still have requirements.

It not though. I never used the term forcing. There's a difference from being a min-maxer and keeping that to yourself and then literally going around saying whats best and grand when new builds become new meta...and say it with me.... when new builds are tested and played with.

No one said having requirements is toxic.I can tell from this comment alone that you must be one of those people who also think people not liking or wanting to play Redguard is racist.

The move the Devs are making is indeed making race choice less relevant, because they want what? More diversity among the races as well as builds. As it should be.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    Arzurag wrote: »
    You can´t change human nature, it´s but of our character to strive for the best.

*rolls eyes* Nope. I strive to have fun. That's the only reason for playing a game of any sort from my POV. I'm totally non-competitive - I actually do not have a competitive bone in my body, or a gene in my DNA. I don't care if you're better at something than I am.

FUN is the point, for me. I get you might be competitive - but I don't really believe it's "human nature".

Some folks forget people like you exist. Thanks for speaking up. We need more reminders around here that no, “the community” is not slaved to “the meta” when good chunks of us play games for fun or for reasons other than competition.

Thanks, @Starlock. I appreciate your wisdom as regards the game, and your moderate posting tone.
    Varana wrote: »

No.

I agree with your main points. And while I am likely classed as a casual (no matter how many hours I spend playing in any given week/month/year), I do tend to a jaundiced PoV in re casuals. Sure, i am one. But those who aren't - those whose competitive souls are focused on excellence in any game they play.... surely there should be some parity there?