The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

WHY is any decent mount LOCKED behind a GAMBLING wall??? I HATE GAMBLING what the hell???

• Delsanab14_ESO
    Delsanab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    We need a house that can Have ALL OUR PETS AND MOUNTS
    Account: @Delsana
    FREE CRAFTING (NA PC) SIDENOTE: Hel'phaer is a Grand Master Crafter with almost every motif (excluding Buoyant, Meridian, Coldsnap, Grim Harlequin, Tsaesci, Pellitine, and Elder Argonian because can't afford it) and will craft attractive quality and visually appealing training gear or combat sets for those interested. FREE gear for players below CP 160 (equivalent level of 210), and paid gear in some form from those CP 160 or higher.
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    nerfworthy wrote: »
    There are decent mounts you can get for just straight crowns and no gambling. If you want the specific one from the crate.. save up gems for it or deal without it if you don't want to buy crates.

Everything is a choice.

This. I do not buy crates and have a number of decent mounts. One was free (striped sench).

@idk The Striped Senche was not free, you paid 9 months straight to qualify. And when they had almost no real content in the game for a game out at its time.

I suppose someone can slice it however they want to. I paid to play the game and considering that there was no idea we would get a mount after 9 months get a mount, or anything other than the opportunity to play the game.

As for real content. Your statement is clearly a skewed and tainted narrative. Besides what the game was launched with we gained a large zone (technically one and a half the way it was released), two trials, the first arena, and two new dungeons with the last one being the best vet dungeon launched at the time. That is a pretty good track record for a first 9 months of any MMORPG.

I do not know what you call real content but it is clearly it is not grounded in anything reasonable. Itg was the period that came after that Zos ceased to release content for an extended period of team.

@idk

- ESO: April 4, 2014
    - Craglorn: (Group After Content, 1st Trial) 05.22.2014
    - Imperial City (PVP) 08.31.2015
    - Orsinium (1st Chapter Continuation) 11.02.2015
    - - Thieves Guild DLC: Maw of Lorkhaaj - PC/Mac 03.07.2016

When you get this part right we can talk. As long as it is so very wrong you are only proving my point well, that your statement is not grounded, certainly not in reality.

This is literally from the wikia...

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:DLC#Thieves_Guild
    https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/975

Please stop trolling.

LOL. Trolling, LOL I will help you out with the real information.

5/22/14 - Craglorn, later known as Lower Craglorn, included 2 trials. Atherian Archive and Hel Ra.
    6/24/14 - Vet Crypt of Hearts dungeon. Now known as CoH II. First dungeon added post launch.
    8/8/14 - HM for both trials added to the game.
    9/15/14 - Upper Craglorn included Sanctum Ophidia Trial and DragonStar Arena.

That is basically what I stated before and shows how much you left out of the first 5 months of the game.

Glad I could help clarify your omissions so well. It does make that attempt to call me a troll look so funny. I suggest you practice up on your google efforts.

Edit: I forgot one.

8/14/2014 Vet City of Ash (now known as CoAII). Still the most challenging non DLC dungeon in the game though nerfed from it's earlier challenge.

Edit: Clarity for anyone that sees this after the fact. The person quoted previously stated only one trial was released with Craglorn 5/22/14 and nothing else until IC 8/31/2015 which clearly has some glaring omissions.

You seem to have continued the trolling. Perhaps you should go back to what I said, it remains true and you've poorly avoided addressing it, also we're not talking about dungeons. You're just trying to have an argument based on semantics and avoiding the facts of the dry content for trials, story, and content.

LOL. I proved your facts so wrong and you still keep it up about the first 9 months of this game. You provide inaccurate information to support what you were saying. Provide inaccurate links to try to support the inaccurate information then call me a troll. That is funny. I guess it make sense a troll would call someone else a troll. I rest my case.
    They called me and someone else a troll because apparently we were “lying and disorienting facts”. I think whenever someone proves them wrong they instinctively yell troll because they have the mentality of “I’m right, I’m always right! everything you say and your facts are wrong!”
    Edited by Reistr_the_Unbroken on December 19, 2018 11:41PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are decent mounts you can get for just straight crowns and no gambling. If you want the specific one from the crate.. save up gems for it or deal without it if you don't want to buy crates.

Everything is a choice.

This. I do not buy crates and have a number of decent mounts. One was free (striped sench).

@idk The Striped Senche was not free, you paid 9 months straight to qualify. And when they had almost no real content in the game for a game out at its time.

I suppose someone can slice it however they want to. I paid to play the game and considering that there was no idea we would get a mount after 9 months get a mount, or anything other than the opportunity to play the game.

As for real content. Your statement is clearly a skewed and tainted narrative. Besides what the game was launched with we gained a large zone (technically one and a half the way it was released), two trials, the first arena, and two new dungeons with the last one being the best vet dungeon launched at the time. That is a pretty good track record for a first 9 months of any MMORPG.

I do not know what you call real content but it is clearly it is not grounded in anything reasonable. Itg was the period that came after that Zos ceased to release content for an extended period of team.

@idk

When you get this part right we can talk. As long as it is so very wrong you are only proving my point well, that your statement is not grounded, certainly not in reality.

Please stop trolling.

5/22/14 - Craglorn, later known as Lower Craglorn, included 2 trials. Atherian Archive and Hel Ra.
    6/24/14 - Vet Crypt of Hearts dungeon. Now known as CoH II. First dungeon added post launch.

That is basically what I stated before and shows how much you left out of the first 5 months of the game.

Glad I could help clarify your omissions so well. It does make that attempt to call me a troll look so funny. I suggest you practice up on your google efforts.

8/14/2014 Vet City of Ash (now known as CoAII). Still the most challenging non DLC dungeon in the game though nerfed from it's earlier challenge.

Edit: Clarity for anyone that sees this after the fact. The person quoted previously stated only one trial was released with Craglorn 5/22/14 and nothing else until IC 8/31/2015 which clearly has some glaring omissions.

You seem to have continued the trolling. Perhaps you should go back to what I said, it remains true and you've poorly avoided addressing it, also we're not talking about dungeons. You're just trying to have an argument based on semantics and avoiding the facts of the dry content for trials, story, and content.

LOL. I proved your facts so wrong and you still keep it up about the first 9 months of this game. You provide inaccurate information to support what you were saying. Provide inaccurate links to try to support the inaccurate information then call me a troll. That is funny. I guess it make sense a troll would call someone else a troll. I rest my case.
    They called me and someone else a troll because apparently we were “lying and disorienting facts”. I think whenever someone proves them wrong they instinctively yell troll because they have the mentality of “I’m right, I’m always right! everything you say and your facts are wrong!”

Thx. That much was clear with that persons response to my comments. Especially after showing how wrong they were.
  • Delsanab14_ESO
    Delsanab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Everything is a choice.

@idk

Please stop trolling.

You've never proved me wrong, sorry. You were just trying to troll and distorted everything I said while ignoring facts and admitting to not reading. It is unbecoming for someone who does that to then act like they were not. Associating with those in some karma feedback that also distort just shows how you flock to trying to troll.

In the future like with him I will not respond to you.
    Edited by Delsanab14_ESO on December 20, 2018 1:35AM
    FREE CRAFTING (NA PC) SIDENOTE: Hel'phaer is a Grand Master Crafter with almost every motif (excluding Buoyant, Meridian, Coldsnap, Grim Harlequin, Tsaesci, Pellitine, and Elder Argonian because can't afford it) and will craft attractive quality and visually appealing training gear or combat sets for those interested. FREE gear for players below CP 160 (equivalent level of 210), and paid gear in some form from those CP 160 or higher.
  • ploddab16_ESO
    ploddab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I think that certain folks here have the wrong mantra when it comes to the crown store and CC issue.

It shouldn't be 'The best Crown Crate is a free Crown Crate'.

It should be 'The best MMOs are the ones where Crown Crates and the Crown Store don't exist'.

The sooner people stop buying into the notion that something HAS to be exclusive to the in game store, the sooner we get a better game with more long term rewards for people to work towards and to keep them engaged.

Also, to the Libertarian who posted before, qbit, I believe it was: as a fellow Libertarian, I would simply cease to financially support those who engage in marketing practices that are aimed at exploiting minor or major personality disorders for maximum profit. While people can and should have the liberty to practice as they will in a free market, their conduct should not be allowed to negatively impact a person's life by driving them into bankruptcy through predatory practices.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything is a choice.

@idk

Please stop trolling.

You've never proved me wrong, sorry. You were just trying to troll and distorted everything I said while ignoring facts and admitting to not reading. It is unbecoming for someone who does that to then act like they were not. Associating with those in some karma feedback that also distort just shows how you flock to trying to troll.

In the future like with him I will not respond to you.

I did. Straight up proved you totally wrong with the time frame you started with and the only time frame relevant to the striped senche mount you replied to me about.
  • Coolits
    Coolits
    ✭✭✭
    You know what? this game has been a really nice way for me to unwind after a long work day and goof off on my off days and ignore more important things for the sake of pure diversion enjoyment. One thing that really, really, really pisses me off tho is the fact that to get a decent mount you are locked behind literally spending money to gamble it away. GAMBLING AWAY YOUR MONEY IS NOT FUN!

WHAT PART OF THAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ZOS???

I just wanted a mount and said ok, theres no way to get one unless i spend a few bucks in the store so ok, i spend a few bucks in the store. All of a sudden, I get ZERO bonus cards EVER, and every single card I get is a DUD, (its almost like the game is rigged to give me NOTHING - go figure!) and i didnt even want to have to gamble in the first place! I Hate gambling because gambling is a stupid thing to do with your money!!! But you would think that since I would put some money into your game I would get SOMETHING BACK OTHER THAN PISSED OFF!!!

Crown Crates are the main reason I don't support ESO anymore but as I've been an Elder scrolls fan since the original Morrowind I do keep tabs on things as I'm genuinely interested in an Elder Scrolls MMO, just not one that I feel knowingly exploits and takes advantage of its fans/playerbase.

I look at games like FFXIV and the way SE handles and respects their community and wish ZoS would be more like this with ESO and find a way to fund the game which is less exploitative.

Here's and idea ZoS, why not make 99% of things earnable in game if you pay the sub fee like in the other two large MMO's? This would certainly make me resub and support the game going forward.
    Edited by Coolits on December 21, 2018 2:05PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Gambling is a Hoop to jump through, in that you have appease some process to get that which you want.

Dont get me wrong, crown crates are a travesty. They are a scourge on the game. But they are not the only way to get a cool looking mount. Because that is the only difference in mounts in the game, appearance. You can buy some decent looking mounts from the crown store. Just have to stay on top of it, as most crown mounts are limited in time.

And, to be honest, most of the Crown Crates mounts are annoying in their spawn animation. Cool the first 50 or so times, tiresome after that.
    Edited by Nestor on December 21, 2018 3:35PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• MehrunesRazor
    MehrunesRazor
    ✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »

My base game mounts go plenty fast.

Honestly though, the cosmetics are there to rip people off. The current system is horrible, but people also went nuts when a mount was first sold for 4k crowns.
    Lol, my mount on my main is fast af too :) Was personally ok with paying my 3k for that sweet mount i just bought the other day. It was a lot but at least I was able to decide whether or not it was worth it instead of praying for luck and then getting bent over for way more than 3k.

qbit wrote: »
    I think the bigger issue is the obsession over cosmetics.
    Oh wow. Apologies for my last comment. I didn’t realize how deep the obsession runs for some people.
    Reading the comments. Jesus Christ some people need to walk away. Like nothing necessary for progression in the game is behind a paywall. Some of you at obsessing over a mesh and texture for a horse...........
    Your obsessive compulsion to spam my topic doesn't drive me to REPEATEDLY try to shame you for it.

Most of the good collectibles in the game are either locked behind gambling mechanisms or the crown store. There are very few that can be acquired via gameplay and most of them are either low quality models or lower quality than their purchasable versions. A good example is the quality of the fabricant polymorph acquired from the vAS HM and compared to its crown store version.
    Also the tactic of making most collectibles accessible only from the store, deprives the game of some excellent content. Just imagine if the "Dragon Skeleton, Mid-Flight", a furnishing which was only purchasable via the crown store for ~4,500 crowns was part of an in game Fang Lair achievement where you could collect the skeleton bone by bone from the dungeon. How cool would that be?

This. So much this.

From one side I agree that some people are too obsessed about those shiny mounts.

But do you know how awesome it feels, for example, to suddenly get Scarlet Regret senche from free crates (like I did) and use it instead of boring brown horse? It is much more pleasant to ride something that has better design and you start getting more satisfaction from the rest of the game too.
    Well said.

So, for the rest of the class who thinks the players are the problem, that pleasant experience and satisfaction is NOT an unreasonable request from ANY subbscriber, and more importantly, obtaining that satisfaction should NOT be behind a gambling wall, PERIOD.

“When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
    I only wish Alcast would have said it instead, maybe then ZOS would bother to listen.
    Pheefs wrote: »
    ...you would think that since I would put some money into your game I would get SOMETHING BACK OTHER THAN PISSED OFF!!!
    Bought into one season in a big frustrating way, got one mount with gems... do the math :/
    Best Crown Crate is a free Crown Crate!
    & YES there should be more ways to get them in-game.
    Thank you. Look, ZOS, I know u guys are trying. I see so much new stuff in the crown store so often, you keep making new dlc's and content, everytime i can't log in for a day or two to play i feel like i prob missed out on something and prob have because theres plenty of rewards for simply playing the game. I didn't come here to bash you, I came to ask you! Please stop forcing us to GAMBLE for such a huge amount of items! Gambling is a VICE! Why don't you people ever listen???
    We need a house that can Have ALL OUR PETS AND MOUNTS
    Gave this comment my first "Awesome" :) What a great idea.
    I think that certain folks here have the wrong mantra when it comes to the crown store and CC issue.

It should be 'The best MMOs are the ones where Crown Crates and the Crown Store don't exist'.

The sooner people stop buying into the notion that something HAS to be exclusive to the in game store, the sooner we get a better game with more long term rewards for people to work towards and to keep them engaged.

Also, to the Libertarian who posted before, qbit, I believe it was: as a fellow Libertarian, I would simply cease to financially support those who engage in marketing practices that are aimed at exploiting minor or major personality disorders for maximum profit. While people can and should have the liberty to practice as they will in a free market, their conduct should not be allowed to negatively impact a person's life by driving them into bankruptcy through predatory practices.

This.
    Coolits wrote: »

Crown Crates are the main reason I don't support ESO anymore but as I've been an Elder scrolls fan since the original Morrowind I do keep tabs on things as I'm genuinely interested in an Elder Scrolls MMO, just not one that I feel knowingly exploits and takes advantage of its fans/playerbase.

I look at games like FFXIV and the way SE handles and respects their community and wish ZoS would be more like this with ESO and find a way to fund the game which is less exploitative.

Here's and idea ZoS, why not make 99% of things earnable in game if you pay the sub fee like in the other two large MMO's? This would certainly make me resub and support the game going forward.
    I only wish I could have said it so concisely myself.

Don't listen to me, ZOS - PLEASE just listen to this.
    Nestor wrote: »
    Yes, Gambling is a Hoop to jump through, in that you have appease some process to get that which you want.

Dont get me wrong, crown crates are a travesty. They are a scourge on the game. But they are not the only way to get a cool looking mount. Because that is the only difference in mounts in the game, appearance. You can buy some decent looking mounts from the crown store. Just have to stay on top of it, as most crown mounts are limited in time.

And, to be honest, most of the Crown Crates mounts are annoying in their spawn animation. Cool the first 50 or so times, tiresome after that.
    No, Gambling is gambling. I can jump through a hoop for free. I can *** off a bridge for free. Gambling costs money bro. Pls stop trying to redefine what's happening here.
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZoS please let this thread die
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the endnof the day, probably 98% of all mounts are either a horse, a gaur, a bear, a sench, a camel, or a wolf that has been reskinned.... i dont let the mount thing get to me that much.
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know what? this game has been a really nice way for me to unwind after a long work day and goof off on my off days and ignore more important things for the sake of pure diversion enjoyment. One thing that really, really, really pisses me off tho is the fact that to get a decent mount you are locked behind literally spending money to gamble it away. GAMBLING AWAY YOUR MONEY IS NOT FUN!

WHAT PART OF THAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ZOS???

I just wanted a mount and said ok, theres no way to get one unless i spend a few bucks in the store so ok, i spend a few bucks in the store. All of a sudden, I get ZERO bonus cards EVER, and every single card I get is a DUD, (its almost like the game is rigged to give me NOTHING - go figure!) and i didnt even want to have to gamble in the first place! I Hate gambling because gambling is a stupid thing to do with your money!!! But you would think that since I would put some money into your game I would get SOMETHING BACK OTHER THAN PISSED OFF!!!

Ahhhhh
  • NorthernNightmare
    NorthernNightmare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    'just cosmetics'

okay but isnt part of the fun of an mmo dressing up to look different from the masses?
  • tactx
    tactx
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything is a choice.

ZOS knows I bought the cool mounts they had for sale that matched my characters that I had the time to level. I shouldn't have to "deal without" in a game I paid for outright, then bought the expansions, then buy extras from, all while subscribing to eso plus on a monthly basis.
    Donny_Vito wrote: »
    Because they want your money, of course.

I honestly have no problem with paying for a well delivered mmorpg. It's when they decide to try taking advantage of me and try to treat me like a stupid gambler that I take offense.
    yodased wrote: »
    Gambling for sure can be said to be a poor choice for money management, but its not inherently bad or good.

You don't have to spend a dime of IRL currency to get the mount you want though, farm ingame gold, buy crown crates from crown seller. Repeat until you get 400 gems or pull one with RNG.

15 crates will cost between 800-1.125m depending on the seller you find.

If you are worried about being scammed, use tamriel crown exchange, they guarantee the items.

I have a job and a life, just like everyone else. What you are suggesting (grinding everything ingame then gambling all that time and effort away) would require the absence of one or the other to be a feasible solution to the problem.
    It´s ZO$ we are talking here. Nothing new.

As one of the first beta testers, I'm gonna need more time to come up with a counterargument to that.
    ZOS' goal is not actually consumer satisfaction.

ZOS' goal is to maximize profits for the hours spent creating new assets.

Crown Crates and gambling make more profits overall than putting each new offering in the Crown Store for a fair price for consumers to buy.

As a small business owner, It isn't difficult for me to understand why ZOS seems to be accurately described by the facts laid out in your statement. The bottom line only supersedes everything else if everything else is truly what is most important to the company.

For example, player experience, customer satisfaction and steady, loyal subs vs raw gambling profits. Being able to understand it doesn't make it any less wrong or aggravating tho.

Crown Crates and gambling make more profits overall than putting each new offering in the Crown Store for a fair price for consumers to buy.
    You would THINK that someone would have figured out by now that listening to customers and catering to them reduces resentment and makes them WANT to give you more money.

This is not complicated, people...

This.

But what do I know, Im just some guy who grew up playing games just like and including this one who is now having to start REALLY thinking about going back to games everyone else plays since ZOS seems hellbent on turning this one into an online casino. And by this one I don't mean me lol.
    Kalik_Gold wrote: »
    My favorite mounts weren't thankfully. I'm a horse guy though... Senche guys have to gamble....

edited - regular Crowns are still a paywall for my horses.

I wont pretend that rngesus wasn't cool enuff to give me two cool mounts for free, sench lion and wild hunt bear. But those crates were FREE so there was no gambling!

When I have to spend money to buy chances at stuff this is ONLINE GAMBLING, NOT what you've been trying so hard to make out of the Elder Scrolls saga - sry to bother you with that, ZOS.
    Merlight wrote: »
    yodased wrote: »
    Gambling for sure can be said to be a poor choice for money management, but its not inherently bad or good.

You don't have to spend a dime of IRL currency to get the mount you want though, farm ingame gold, buy crown crates from crown seller. Repeat until you get 400 gems or pull one with RNG.

15 crates will cost between 800-1.125m depending on the seller you find.

If you are worried about being scammed, use tamriel crown exchange, they guarantee the items.

The short version of my answer to this is that doing all that will still not guarantee you the exact mount you want. For that, you gonna have to really pull that lever. I mean you really gotta spin that wheel a hundred times. You gotta hit and stand and fold a million hands to get that one mount you really want.

I should be able to just freaking buy it or earn it for one straightforward price or series of acheivements, period.
    Katahdin wrote: »
    I agree it sucks but the why is they want you to spend stupid amounts of money for it.
    And people are stupid enough to oblige them so they keep doing it.

The decision makers on this understand and only care about the money, thats it

This is the part that makes me feel the worst. Why take advantage of your own players? I mean, we pay the monthly bills, don't we???.
    GaM3rGA1 wrote: »
    Yup so tired of it. Saying oh there are other mounts u can get is beyond the point we are trying to make here! Im so sick of what they have done to this game. Right now there are still vet dungeons and trials that have issues resetting and all they do is fix glitches where people get skins. Wtf fix this crap already and start thinking of the people who have been a suporter from the very beginning. Or are u incapable of doing that.

This.
    AlienSlof wrote: »
    They can take their gamble crates and shove 'em right up there where the sun never shines. I won't spend real money on gambling. Ever. No matter how appealing the items.

That ice cat is overpriced anyway, even for gems from free crates.

I would take overpriced for a straight fee of of crowns over gambling till you bleed ANY DAY. At least that way I can decide if Its worth that set amount and just buy it or not.
    Klasen wrote: »
    At least with crown gems you can go in and buy what you wanted unless its a radiant apex. You can't do that at a casino and pick how much money you want at the end of it.

Crown gems are just as rng based as everything else. If u want crown gems you could blow thru tons of crowns getting nothing but DUDS and NO EXTRA BONUS CARDS just like ME and then you're just as PISSED OFF as ME.
    Hey ZoS can you release the Storm Atro Crates soon? I’m sitting on 57 gems waiting to buy the Soul-Shriven costumes
    Danikat wrote: »
    In case you're not already aware all mounts in ESO are functionally identical - the only thing which sets them apart is the characters riding skills - and all characters can train those to the same level. Other than that it's just skins.

Here's some ways you can get a mount without gambling:
    {snip}

Finally if you hate gambling and refuse to participate my advice is do exactly that - vote with your wallet by not buying crates. These systems are only in games because they work - they make a hell of a lot of money, so if you don't want to encourage it then the best way is by not participating yourself.

While i honestly do appreciate the spirit and content of this reply, it pretty much does miss the whole point.
    I'm afraid that if you're looking for mount rewards other than what's available in the cash shop and the loot boxes, you'll want to move on to another game.

Zenimax does not care about giving players meaningful rewards in it's content, instead it only sees what it can tear out of the planned reward structure of a DLC to stuff into a loot box to maximize it's profits from these gambling boxes.

Players can try and rationalize it all they like, the end result is that you get a shallower, less rewarding experience from ESO because the marketing department have firmly sunk their talons into the product and are seeing exactly how many pre-launch promises they can renege on in order to maximize their profits with loot crates before things finally reach a breaking point, either with the loot boxes being either made illegal or being heavily regulated as the gambling systems they are, forcing them to turn to other monetization methods, or the community itself rising in uproar and abandoning the title after taking financial hit after financial hit to maximize the enjoyment of a DLC that is already the price of a mid-range off the shelf title.

The game should never have put mounts exclusively on the crown store. The cash shop should never have been a place for players to exclusively purchase items that could and should have been content for them to also earn as rewards for in-game activities, but at this point the behavior is firmly entrenched now because we as a player base rewarded it, encouraged it and have even gone on to defend it from criticism, despite the fact the defenders stand to lose just as much from this continued behavior as those who are rightly calling ZOS's marketing practices what they are: predatory, and targeted at those who are often most at risk of exploitation by them, namely those with addiction issues.

If you're after a game that will let you have variety in your choice of mount, appearance and armor/weapon styles without having to pay through the nose for it atop a box cost and sub fee, then I'd advise another title than ESO.

This.

ZOS, DO YOU PEOPLE NOT CARE OR DO YOU JUST NOT LISTEN???

I MEAN, SERIOUSLY, WHICH IS IT???

Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    It's all digital fluff. Something I have to remind myself of. None of these items are necessary to play and even enjoy the game. All mounts function the same - you don't need that gems-only sabre cat to go faster than everyone else. Sure, it looks cool, but it's not necessary.

Not trying to "rationalize" that most mounts are CS only or crates only, just that none of it is even remotely necessary. Why do they do it? Because players make a bigger deal out of this or that skin or mount than is rational.

There's already so much visual noise in this game, largely due to crates, and frankly, I would rather they had never been introduced for that reason alone, aside from the gambling aspect. But, a lot of players look forward to the next shiny - myself included - that they will keep producing new CS and crate content.

That said, there are a lot of collectibles we can get in game - costumes, skins, pets, even mounts. Aside from the basic 4 horses, there is also the Psijic horse from Summerfall (in addition to a pet and house) and the free guar pet we're getting this month. Not to mention the system they've set up to let us earn various Indrik mounts.

Plus, how many players have one or two free crate mounts in their collection due to all the free crates they used to give us?

Me plus everyone else who has one or two free crate mounts, that's how many. It's not gambling when its an awesome ingame reward like my sencha lion and my sweet wild hunt bear that's perfect for my not so high level but trying warden baby alt. You and I are talking about two different things but i do appreciate the spirit and content of your reply.
    If all you need is a mount, you can get one with Gold.

If you choose to get a specific mount, then you have some hoops to jump through. Whether those hoops are worth it to you can only be determined by you.

You sound like my dad bro. Lol im just kidding sorta. Gambling is not a hoop. Gambling is gambling. The New Life event is hoop jumping. Big difference.
    If all you need is a mount, you can get one with Gold.

If you choose to get a specific mount, then you have some hoops to jump through. Whether those hoops are worth it to you can only be determined by you.

This doesn't even address the actual OP at all.

How is this a representative of the community?

This.
    Danikat wrote: »
    {snip}

Sry but this reply was just a whole lot of not getting the point at all.

Please just buy the rest of my crowns off me if u really want to help.

I applaud the effort and unmitigated endurance in this post.

Edited by tactx on December 25, 2018 4:43AM
    “No one's happiness but my own is in my power to achieve or to destroy.” - John Galt, Atlas Shrugged
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You would THINK that someone would have figured out by now that listening to customers and catering to them reduces resentment and makes them WANT to give you more money.

Must be new to gaming and corporations. ZoS is not unique. Want to see expensive cosmetics? Try PoE. Pieces of cosmetic armor are as much as a full costume.
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ride on a big yellow cat mount I got with gems from free crates. To me, it’s way better than any silly glowing flaming electric mount. I don’t get the assertion that “all the good mounts” are in crown boxes.

Edit: I love cats and disable some of the upgrade tells to show off my big cat I ride.
    Edited by qbit on December 26, 2018 5:57PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

True libertarians believe that the rights and liberty of the human being are worth far more than the rights and liberty of corporations to exploit them.

Americans (especiallly) have had their libertarian tendencies turned against them, via corporatism.

Edited by Tigerseye on December 26, 2018 6:58PM
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

True libertarians believe that the rights and liberty of the human being are worth far more than the rights and liberty of corporations to exploit them.

Americans (especiallly) have had their libertarian tendencies turned against them, via corporatism.

Zos can do what they want in my opinion. I’d much rather the players have the option for crown crates than the sale of crown crates be regulated. It’s up to the consumer to regulate themselves with regards to their throwing money away on these things or getting gems etc. There aren’t any shady business practices here. They can and probably do alter the odds of the crate drops. What is known is known via addon and a spreadsheet. The consumer is empowered by choice and free will. The corporation is empowered by offering choices. No blame falls on zos here.
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've reread some of this thread. I remember now. Your (the general reader's) lack of self control is no one's fault but your own. We aren't going to stop selling alcohol or drugs either. We aren't going to shutdown casinos. And we aren't going to stop selling guns. We also aren't going to stop selling high fructose corn syrup by the gallon nor are we going to stop selling blocks of lard in the form of cheese.

Get over it. Buy or don't buy the crown crates. The odds and their purpose are well-known. Stop blaming the seller and start blaming the buyer. Jesus.

It's like if I buy some meth from some idiot and snort it and get strung out and lose my job, some of you expect me to blame the guy I bought it from. It's like if I take a gun and shoot someone with it and murder them that it's the gun manufacuter's fault.

It's as if some on this forum think it's Zenimax's fault they spent $150+ on "crates" and didn't get a stupid horse model and that is somehow predatory.

I guess it comes down to the stupid versus the not-so-stupid. No offense.
  • keevil111
    keevil111
    ✭✭✭✭
    I mean, seriously! They have an actual dollar sign IN THEIR NAME!!!!

ZO$ <---- SEE?
    PS4 NA
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    keevil111 wrote: »
    I mean, seriously! They have an actual dollar sign IN THEIR NAME!!!!

ZO$ <---- SEE?

giphy.gif
  • MehrunesRazor
    MehrunesRazor
    ✭✭✭

@ZOS If this is the correct way to address you, then I am thankful for the previous post, because even though I have already said what I meant, I suppose there is an off chance, though my better judgement defo tells me theres not much of a chance, that you would not see this issue otherwise.

Here's one thing I'd like to point out: If even one of your representatives has to admit that this practice is a SCOURGE upon this digital masterpiece known as the Elder Scrolls series, simply because he evidently has a gamer's integrity, you should at the very least be willing to CONSIDER an alternative method of increasing your profits because cannibalizing your consumer base is ALWAYS the beginning of the end, I've seen it time and time again and it NEVER ends well, period.
    At the endnof the day, probably 98% of all mounts are either a horse, a gaur, a bear, a sench, a camel, or a wolf that has been reskinned.... i dont let the mount thing get to me that much.

Honestly, I usually don't either. My schedule and level of fatigue sort of made me miss out on achieving the Indrik mount, and seeing everyone else with their nice mounts made me want a new one for one of my toons, and so since most of the purchasable mounts are booty and all the awesome ones are locked behind a gambling wall, I went ahead and threw a few bucks into the game only to find myself suddenly, out of the blue, being SEVERELY taken advantage of.
    'just cosmetics'

okay but isnt part of the fun of an mmo dressing up to look different from the masses?

YES lol.
    tactx wrote: »

Thx, i appreciate the sentiment :)

Actually, I used to forum way too much so now if i have to post on a forum I try to be efficient about it and just answer every good reply at one time, it's actually much more efficient to me than reacting to every post which half the time is just your basic thirsty lurker with nothing positive to add and nothing better to do.

Must be new to gaming and corporations. ZoS is not unique. Want to see expensive cosmetics? Try PoE. Pieces of cosmetic armor are as much as a full costume.

This is actually a pretty good point. Gotta admit, this particular monetization model exists in other games too. Just not in the really good ones. The really good ones sustain on a much more straightforward game purchase, upgrade purchases, extras purchases, cosmetics purchases model without the requirement of gambling. A straightforward high price is better than an exploitable "chance" at an item.

I'm not really familiar enough with the libertarian platform to give a sufficiently educated reply to this, but I can say that your viewpoint is pretty thought provoking. I'll have to think about it and maybe look into that to understand it better.

• Delsanab14_ESO
    Delsanab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

@ZOS If this is the correct way to address you, then I am thankful for the previous post, because even though I have already said what I meant, I suppose there is an off chance, though my better judgement defo tells me theres not much of a chance, that you would not see this issue otherwise.

Here's one thing I'd like to point out: If even one of your representatives has to admit that this practice is a SCOURGE upon this digital masterpiece known as the Elder Scrolls series, simply because he evidently has a gamer's integrity, you should at the very least be willing to CONSIDER an alternative method of increasing your profits because cannibalizing your consumer base is ALWAYS the beginning of the end, I've seen it time and time again and it NEVER ends well, period.

Honestly, I usually don't either. My schedule and level of fatigue sort of made me miss out on achieving the Indrik mount, and seeing everyone else with their nice mounts made me want a new one for one of my toons, and so since most of the purchasable mounts are booty and all the awesome ones are locked behind a gambling wall, I went ahead and threw a few bucks into the game only to find myself suddenly, out of the blue, being SEVERELY taken advantage of.
    'just cosmetics'

YES lol.
    tactx wrote: »

Thx, i appreciate the sentiment :)

Actually, I used to forum way too much so now if i have to post on a forum I try to be efficient about it and just answer every good reply at one time, it's actually much more efficient to me than reacting to every post which half the time is just your basic thirsty lurker with nothing positive to add and nothing better to do.

This is actually a pretty good point. Gotta admit, this particular monetization model exists in other games too. Just not in the really good ones. The really good ones sustain on a much more straightforward game purchase, upgrade purchases, extras purchases, cosmetics purchases model without the requirement of gambling. A straightforward high price is better than an exploitable "chance" at an item.

I'm not really familiar enough with the libertarian platform to give a sufficiently educated reply to this, but I can say that your viewpoint is pretty thought provoking. I'll have to think about it and maybe look into that to understand it better.

@MehrunesRazor The libertarian platform doesn't actually represent that in history or in practice. It's primarily let it be and anti taxation and other such things. An analysis on its history facts and influences would be better suggested. Given there was a significant amount of distortion of comments from myself and others by those two individuals it doesn't surprise me they're misrepresenting it or trying to drag politics into the situation.
  • Nogawd
    Nogawd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say it again. I love being a geek, but the entitled whining geeks are the worst from any other group of people. Worse than any diva could be.
  • Delsanab14_ESO
    Delsanab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nogawd wrote: »
    I'll say it again. I love being a geek, but the entitled whining geeks are the worst from any other group of people. Worse than any diva could be.

@Nogawd This demonstrates a lack of the understanding of the word entitlement. You're entitled to play a game without expecting to be addicted to it due to the games designers consulting psychologists and implementing game theory mechanics that literally make you addicted to certain features due to reward systems.

The issue is those that defend manipulation and exploitation.
    Edited by Delsanab14_ESO on December 27, 2018 1:18AM
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You play the game to unwind and you're ticked off because of the mounts? Just buy a nice mount you like in the crown store to purchase instead of gambling in the crates.
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • MehrunesRazor
    MehrunesRazor
    ✭✭✭
    Nogawd wrote: »

@Nogawd This demonstrates a lack of the understanding of the word entitlement. You're entitled to play a game without expecting to be addicted to it due to the games designers consulting psychologists and implementing game theory mechanics that literally make you addicted to certain features due to reward systems.

The issue is those that defend manipulation and exploitation.

And with this, I can finally digress.

Thank you, @ZOS, for your consideration.

• wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    O_LYKOS wrote: »
    You play the game to unwind and you're ticked off because of the mounts? Just buy a nice mount you like in the crown store to purchase instead of gambling in the crates.

Agree...^^^
    I'm still riding the Midnight Stead my GM helped me buy at launch.. 4+ years in and it still my favorite... :)
    (And yes, I have LOTS of other cool mounts including the Striped Sench).
    Huzzah!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

• wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    monetization model exists in other games
    hmmmmmmm.........

Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS

• MehrunesRazor
    MehrunesRazor
    ✭✭✭
    ugh... as I indicated before, I've already said everything I meant to say to ZOS.

Softquoting me without regard for the breadth of what all was said in what context, for the purpose of muddying the waters on an otherwise clearly finished topic is quite frankly more tiresome than helpful or informative. Either make a new and interesting or insightful point or just let it go.. I certainly have. thx.