The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you have any issue (performance) problems with ESO - FPS/Lags?

Zymcio
Zymcio
✭✭✭
I wanted to created this topic cuz i have hope ppl in ZOS team will see this. I think the most important part of the game is just gameplay... Yep rly. My friends and other ppl rly have bad performance and they are quiting...

Btw if u look at MacOS support subforum

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/441796/fps-problem/p20 - yep 20 pages of problems...

I triend many tweaks and guides how to improve my gameplay but nahh i just need to buy top CPU and have hope everything will be ok or play in potato mode...

1. I found some topic about dx12 (i read about dx12 too)

Example

- https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5439857#Comment_5439857
- https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5479066#Comment_5479066
- https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5533871#Comment_5533871
- https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5615289#Comment_5615289

Example Video test how DX12 vs DX11 can help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV864UUnF2w

2. Second thing look at World of Warcraft game they added dx12 with multicore support

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/world-of-warcraft-directx-12-performance-update/ - and rly it help a lot of ppl say they have boost from 10% - 50% in terms of FPS.

3. If i am correct ESO is using Heroengine

http://www.heroengine.com/heroengine/he-roadmap - This is roadmap and ofc i dont see any info about dx12 but maybe i am mistaken...

My personal experience - they need to add DX12/Vulkan cuz i want to play on my current notebook with i7-7700HQ/GTX 1050ti on 60 FPS. It will help also on MacOS or even Console.

Then please vote and leave comment if ok or not (ofc u can post your spec CPU/GPU and how much fps u got)

Do you have any issue (performance) problems with ESO - FPS/Lags? 132 votes

Yes - they need to improve that cpu bottleneck
80%
MontieGodspeedMojmirBigBraggRemag_Divwenchmore420b14_ESOTinolynAtreidusTurelusalainjbrennanb16_ESONebthet78xenowarrior92eb17_ESOfalcasternub18_ESOgplumblingnrb18_ESORiverBrianIdinuseKheigennine9sixSkoomahNutshotz 106 votes
No - everything is ok
19%
theyanceyJarndyceIruil_ESOzariaMagicaHalloweenWeedEdaphonkwinterCaffeinatedMayhemTandorradiostarEphemeraCrawfordJurand80LakeRaddlemanNumber7russelmmendozaeso_nyaihazzitBooPerScOOpermoses1763 26 votes
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but normally only in high stress situations which for my machine/client is trials and Cyrodiil PvP.

Everywhere else I have very few issues.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • Zymcio
    Zymcio
    ✭✭✭
    @Turelus

Hello i think PvP or PvE endgame is where ppl want to play, not just watch spike show... I am sure you and others will have more fun with stable 60 fps and ping. I know it would be just beautiful.
    Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    During the event right now is a good example of FPS drops.
    Of course if everyone would put their pets away and stop dropping AoE on busy spots it would be better. smh
    Edited by TequilaFire on December 13, 2018 4:26PM
    Options
  • nordic_two
    You really cant compare WoW with ESO. WoW graphics are ancient and nowhere near as difficult to render as ESO. ESO characters are also much more complex (a lot more data per character) which is part of the CPU limitation causing lower FPS.

That being said.. the PC client isnt as efficient as it should be. Something causes FPS to drop significantly even when other players arent around. (seems a bit random) They also need to make better use of multicore. Currently the game only performs well on CPU's with high single core performance. Those of us with high end multicore CPU's dont et the performance we should.
    Options
  • HalloweenWeed
    HalloweenWeed
    ✭✭✭
    No - everything is ok
    I have an Intel "Enthusiast" version CPU: Sandy Bridge-E. No CPU bottleneck here.
    However, do have flickering textures in Craglorn.
    Options
  • Tinolyn
    Tinolyn
    ✭✭✭
    My biggest issue is loading screens.

Sitting for minutes at character load (sometimes having to close out of the game and log back in).

Loading screens from zoning.

Yes, all the ports are open. Game is repaired. Etc. Etc. My ISP is fine. This is totally not my computer's issue, I don't know how many times I've reported this, sent game consultants, etc. etc.

It's getting old.
    Options
  • Zymcio
    Zymcio
    ✭✭✭
    nordic_two wrote: »
    You really cant compare WoW with ESO. WoW graphics are ancient and nowhere near as difficult to render as ESO. ESO characters are also much more complex (a lot more data per character) which is part of the CPU limitation causing lower FPS.

That being said.. the PC client isnt as efficient as it should be. Something causes FPS to drop significantly even when other players arent around. (seems a bit random) They also need to make better use of multicore. Currently the game only performs well on CPU's with high single core performance. Those of us with high end multicore CPU's dont et the performance we should.

I said about that cuz it is nice to hear other MMO game moved from dx11 to dx12. I dont know how hard it is but i think it is doable for ESO. I mean ESO probably need to wait for new updated of heroengine. For me it gives hope.

That second part i didnt know but i agree they need to tweak that multicore cuz 2018+ is they way of more core in CPU.

I have an Intel "Enthusiast" version CPU: Sandy Bridge-E. No CPU bottleneck here.
    However, do have flickering textures in Craglorn.

@HalloweenWeed hello and rly u dont have any fps drops in any zones like PVP(Cyrodiil) ? or Some Trials ?

Edited by Zymcio on December 13, 2018 5:11PM
    Options
  • tamrielwinner
    tamrielwinner
    ✭✭✭
    the worst is cyrodiil pvp, by a million miles. second to that are trials, in a far, far away second place.

premier hardware like a 2080Ti and a 7700k@5GHz+ still suck in cyrodiil at 1080p. some people might think it's fine to clog along at 18-25fps in a game, but in my opinion they're nuts, especially in a pvp environment. this setup in cyrodiil will require disabling and scaling down of graphical fidelity. if you're in cyrodiil and only encounter few people max at a time, you won't have as much of an issue.

if you engage in sieges, you will never have playable frames unless you turn a lot of stuff the hell down. even with stuff turned down, expect ~35fps in keep and group engagements with excellent hardware and less if the numbers are high.
    Options
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No - everything is ok
    About the same results i used to get playing WoW. Newer zones make my fps oscillate from 30-60 fps, and Cyrodiil gets pretty messy as well when there's a lot of people around, but that was also the case in WoW with Ashran. Overall WoW runs better than ESO, but ESO looks much better than WoW at max graphics.
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
    Options
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall video performance issues. On the average FPS has dropped on all my PCs and my Mac. All of the devices I play on experience intermittent flickering in the background and landscape.

As far as network performance, when in Cyrodiil I infrequently will have the entire game stop moving for about 30 seconds, and the I get dropped from the server. Skills will stop firing off when in large scale fights.

All of the above ruins the whole game experience for me.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No - everything is ok
    The game runs very smoothly for me in the UK whether playing on the PC EU or PC NA server. That's open world PvE including crowded dolmens and delves during special events etc, with no addons. I have no interest in PvP so can't say how it would be in Cyrodiil, similarly with trials although I have occasionally done group content without any issues. I'm running Windows 7 with old but tried and tested drivers and I sometimes wonder if those are also factors. Modern drivers tend to be optimised for Windows 10 which isn't an OS that offers me anything I need or want so all the time my games run smoothly on my present setup I'm happy to stick with it.
    Options
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No - everything is ok
    For the most part, no. I've occasionally noticed a slight FPS drop in new, crowded areas (I would regularly see it around Sunhold wayshrine in Summerset, but it was by no means unplayable, just noticeable and only briefly.)
    Options
  • HallowedUndead
    Not a lot of options to choose from. I don't experience lag for so long that i just quit playing, but it isn't a nice 60 FPS all day either.
    Options
  • Zymcio
    Zymcio
    ✭✭✭
    @HallowedUndead
    Not a lot of options to choose from. I don't experience lag for so long that i just quit playing, but it isn't a nice 60 FPS all day either.

Then it means u would like to see stable 60 FPS in this game without any drops.

I mean u agree they need to improve "Performance in ESO"?

@MaxJrFTW Ofc ESO looks better for me. U said it is ok and you rly dont see any problems ? I mean no drops stable perfect game to play ?
    Edited by Zymcio on December 13, 2018 6:11PM
    Options
  • alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this has nothing to do with dx11 or dx12 the issues are related in other places, for other mmo's dont have this issue
    Main character dk - Vanikifar whitestrike
    Options
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No - everything is ok
    I only have issues with lags and performance when im on a buisiness trip, sitting in a cheap hotel where i get informed "oh, u r on 5th floor, wifi is bad up there" or my provider screwed over again and my volume for mobile internet is somewhat depleted.
    Options
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have one issue: that over time ESO gets slower an slower.

I had 60 FPS (vsync enabled) at Twins in vMOL (very heavy on computers) at Dragon Bones.
    On the same computer, I had 55 FPS (vsync enabled) at Twins in vMOL at Summerset.
    On the same computer, I have 45-50 FPS (vsync enabled) at Twins in vMOL at Murkmire.

Didn't change programs, didn't change hard disk (SSD anyway). Game just gets slower as we go forward.
    Options
  • Kheigen
    Kheigen
    ✭✭
    this has nothing to do with dx11 or dx12 the issues are related in other places, for other mmo's dont have this issue

Yes, it does have something to do with API. Not so much as the entire issue, but as part of the formula of solving FPS/Lag issues. Simply saying other MMO's don't have these experiences says nothing about why. You have have to look at a variety of factors and variables before making such a statement. Such as what MMO's don't have these issues and why? What engine did the developers use, what API, what servers and how many support said MMO, how is the code written?

Two people commented above about comparing WoW to ESO, both had some points to consider.

If API is not part of the issue, we could play this with DX9, however we know that is not plausible. Zenimax coded in the most modern API at the time. That does not mean DX11 has no issues and gameplay couldn't be improved if DX12 or Vulkan were used. It very well should be. Everything that can be used by Zenimax to optimize gameplay should be used, including moving the game to an improved API. Rumor has it, there are plans to move the game to Vulkan across all platforms. I would welcome that.

But to your point, there is more than just an issue with the API.
    Options
  • Zymcio
    Zymcio
    ✭✭✭
    Kheigen wrote: »

Yes, it does have something to do with API. Not so much as the entire issue, but as part of the formula of solving FPS/Lag issues. Simply saying other MMO's don't have these experiences says nothing about why. You have have to look at a variety of factors and variables before making such a statement. Such as what MMO's don't have these issues and why? What engine did the developers use, what API, what servers and how many support said MMO, how is the code written?

Two people commented above about comparing WoW to ESO, both had some points to consider.

If API is not part of the issue, we could play this with DX9, however we know that is not plausible. Zenimax coded in the most modern API at the time. That does not mean DX11 has no issues and gameplay couldn't be improved if DX12 or Vulkan were used. It very well should be. Everything that can be used by Zenimax to optimize gameplay should be used, including moving the game to an improved API. Rumor has it, there are plans to move the game to Vulkan across all platforms. I would welcome that.

But to your point, there is more than just an issue with the API.

Yep i agree with u ;)
    Options
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, as stated in another discussion. This game is getting progressively worse, performance wise.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No - everything is ok
    Nope. I get ~60 fps pretty much everywhere overland. The crafting area in Vivec can drop some, but there are a million bodies around there - and FPS only takes a hit once in a while. I don't and won't pvp, so no clue about there.

Lag - well, my only connection is satellite, so of course I have major lag.... but it doesn't affect the FPS.
    Options
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can I be in between on this? I don't do the content that seems to suffer most from these issues. For the most part in overland content, my FPS usually ranges from 50-60. There are a few areas where performance takes a huge nosedive for unknown reasons. I get dips to 25 FPS. I don't really get ping spikes-- I average 114-150 ms in Northern California.

The FPS drops have gotten a little better since I dropped my only guild.

Worst areas: Murkmire by the Bright Throat village Hist, below Blackrose Prison, the coastline near Lilmoth
    Rivenspire near Northpoint
    Summerset near Alinor

Running at 1920x1080 on a single monitor, near max settings with a couple of ini file tweaks

Specs: Core i5 7600
    Nvidia 1060GTX 6 gb
    16 GB RAM
    SSD

Editing: wrote this initially on a tablet-- sorry for the typos :blush:
    Edited by jainiadral on December 14, 2018 5:34PM
    Options
  • Jameliel
    Jameliel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I've learned from ESO is that a lot of people love pixel pets. :D
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zymcio wrote: »
    Turelus

Hello i think PvP or PvE endgame is where ppl want to play, not just watch spike show... I am sure you and others will have more fun with stable 60 fps and ping. I know it would be just beautiful.
    No disagreements from me. I would love to be able to do trials without turning my client into potato mode to keep my FPS above 30.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck.. same crapshoot for years now. If they can fix it, they would already have. Probably don't blame them. The game has gotten so massive. Not sure what checklist they are using when conducting weekly or periodic maintenance, but lagging, crashing and others f-ed crapshoots been occurring and reoccurring since launch. Goodness..
    Options
  • ihazzit
    ihazzit
    ✭✭✭
    No - everything is ok
    I play both PC servers without any problems in any of the zones, PvE and PvP.
    If you are angry about anything in this game you are only punishing yourself.
    Options
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some things you can do you help mitigate the problems. Don't run unnecessary addons, turn off crafting addons when not crafting. Apply the Guild Roster Block.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/448084/psa-a-simple-trick-to-help-reduce-lag/p1

Yes the block does work. Does not solve all but helps.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
    Options
  • Zymcio
    Zymcio
    ✭✭✭
    @Grimm13 hello,

didnt heard about that and for you it is working ?

@jainiadral
    jainiadral wrote: »
    There are a few area where performance takes a huge nosedive for unknown reasons. I get dips to 25 FPS. I don't really get ping spikes-- I average 114-150 ms in Northern California.

Worst areas: Murkmire by the Bright Throat village Hist, below Blackrose Prison, the coastline near Lilmoth
    Summerset near Alinor

Running at 1920x1080 on a single monitor, near max settings with a couple of ini file tweaks

Nvidia 1060GTX 6 gb
    16 GB RAM
    SSD

Well it is kinda sad u need to leave guild for better performance....
    Options
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zymcio wrote: »
    @Grimm13 hello,

didnt heard about that and for you it is working ?

@jainiadral
    jainiadral wrote: »
    There are a few area where performance takes a huge nosedive for unknown reasons. I get dips to 25 FPS. I don't really get ping spikes-- I average 114-150 ms in Northern California.

Summerset near Alinor

Nvidia 1060GTX 6 gb
    16 GB RAM
    SSD

Well it is kinda sad u need to leave guild for better performance....

I was planning on leaving anyway. This was just a nice added benefit :D FWIW, that guild tweak on the forums a couple of days ago does work.
    Options
  • gplumblingnrb18_ESO
    Specs:
    Ryzen 5 2600
    GTX 970 G1
    16 GB RAM

PvE zones are perfectly fine (No fps problems). (60 fps v-sync)

PvP zones - Cyrodiil drops my fps to 40 - 60, but when there are more than 40+ players it becomes impossible to play (10 - 20 fps). I try to stay away from Cyrodiil for this exact reason and instead play BG.

Disabling my addons and dropping my graphics settings does not help at all in Cyrodiil.

It would be great if they could fix this :>
    Edited by gplumblingnrb18_ESO on December 31, 2018 7:12AM
    Options