Maintenance for the week of June 3:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 3, 2:00AM EDT (6:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

DirectX 12?

Xzaeldric
Xzaeldric
Soul Shriven
I've heard rumors that ZOS is working on DX12 support to ESO, is that true? Any ETA?
Like if they pull that of that's going to be huge!

• rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Direct X 11 doesn't even work yet
    Options
  • TheInfernalRage
    TheInfernalRage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They better fix and spend more time on gameplay problems than focusing on cosmetic ones. This PTS right now is horrible.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the failure of Windows 10 to achieve a respectable level of market success, let alone that originally intended by Microsoft, and on which operating system DX12 is solely dependent, I'm not sure it would make commercial sense to devote much in the way of resources to applying DX12 to ESO :wink: ! While I don't have any problems with what's on the PTS currently, I don't doubt that ZOS have other priorities than DX12.
    Options
  • FlyingSwan
    FlyingSwan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DX11 is outside of mainstream support now. While it is in extended support, there are implications for testing, so most vendors are getting off it now. Vulkan makes more sense than Dx12 however, as it's cross-platform.

Win 10 is doing about as well as Win 7 was 3 years into its lifecycle. The big push to get onto the new OS only happens once the incumbent drops out of extended support and the large enterprises execute their migrations. XP, 7, 10, all took just over 3 years to beat the incumbent in terms of sales.
    Edited by FlyingSwan on September 22, 2018 10:33PM
    Options
  • antoniotf5
    antoniotf5
    ✭✭✭
    i think the game is too old to be converted for DX12, and ESO doesn't have graphical features that would benefit from a newer API. However, the game could use better multicore and gpu support for the bigger cyrodill battles.
    But at this point they're better off doing Vulkan so people on Linux can play it too, but changing API takes way too much time
    Options
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    FlyingSwan wrote: »
    DX11 is outside of mainstream support now. While it is in extended support, there are implications for testing, so most vendors are getting off it now. Vulkan makes more sense than Dx12 however, as it's cross-platform.

Win 10 is doing about as well as Win 7 was 3 years into its lifecycle. The big push to get onto the new OS only happens once the incumbent drops out of extended support and the large enterprises execute their migrations. XP, 7, 10, all took just over 3 years to beat the incumbent in terms of sales.

Yeah.
    They've already added a Vulkan renderer on the PTS for the Mac OS client.
    It only makes ense to use Vulkan on MacOS if they are planning to use Vulkan on other platforms too (Windows, PS4), otherwise they'd have gone with Metal.
    antoniotf5 wrote: »
    i think the game is too old to be converted for DX12, and ESO doesn't have graphical features that would benefit from a newer API. However, the game could use better multicore and gpu support for the bigger cyrodill battles.
    But at this point they're better off doing Vulkan so people on Linux can play it too, but changing API takes way too much time

The API change is already done for the Mac client.
    It shouldn't be too hard to enable it on Windows too; moreso when Windows has better Vulkan support than Mac OS...
    Edited by ssorgatem on September 22, 2018 11:11PM
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DX 12 will probably never happen.

Desktops just aren't the dominant form of gaming they once were. Cross platform is a must so developers can take advantage of all platforms and not lock themselves into just one.

Hence Vulkan will most likely be the API of the future. Although for ESO it may never happen... unless they plan on expanding into the mobile market!
    Options
  • Sleep
    Sleep
    ✭✭✭✭
    i want vulkan
    Options
  • FlyingSwan
    FlyingSwan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ssorgatem wrote: »
    FlyingSwan wrote: »

Yeah.
    They've already added a Vulkan renderer on the PTS for the Mac OS client.
    It only makes ense to use Vulkan on MacOS if they are planning to use Vulkan on other platforms too (Windows, PS4), otherwise they'd have gone with Metal.
    antoniotf5 wrote: »

The API change is already done for the Mac client.
    It shouldn't be too hard to enable it on Windows too; moreso when Windows has better Vulkan support than Mac OS...

Agreed, if they have already done a Vulkan proof of concept/alpha or whatever then that's their strategic direction. They won't go DX12 as it's proprietary and does not offer anything over and above Vulkan, but, as you say, Vulkan is cross platform. It's good news for sure, the performance in this game has always sucked and this will help on the client-side.
    Options