The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

REAL vs FAKE DPS

• joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    Well, some of the highest DPS numbers I've seen (something like 130k) on combat metrics were done through one-shotting an overland mob with a perfect Shalks > Bird > Reverse Slice that lands at the exact same time. You do get a 130k DPS if the fight lasted 1 second and you did 130k damage :trollface:

I highly doubt you can do 130k damage with one hit from each of those skills. It probably happened in les than a second in order to get the 130k dps measure.
  • jerrodbuffington
    jerrodbuffington
    ✭✭✭
    Thats tough. In content that I consider easy, another may not have any idea how to do it. You never want to be in a group where one person's ability to do damage hinders the group. You dont want to take just anyone with you when you wanna do VBRP. At the same time you dont wanna be "that" guy that causes the problems. We have to find a way to not be the ignorant person. We practice, research, and test.. and others believe that its just a game, why do I have to practice, or research? Or even try hard? It creates a rift between those who can and those who cant..

The biggest problem is being the person who can see that your dps has to be good, and your survivability and awareness have to be good... but just cant seen to get it together..
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I can one shot NPCs from stealth using Uppercut. It is so cool.

I had to. You know there is someone who actually thinks that and would post it if they would find the forums.

Personally, idk why such a thread is needed. Those who would state they got a single hit on something for Xk are fairly rare. In a decent raiding guild no one would mention such a thing and if they are a pug, who really cares since you may never see that player again.

If it's ironic, as opposed to the "fake tank", "fake healer" thread, the OP failed miserably, didn't make me laugh, so I'm assuming it's a serious thread.

Personally, I don't understand it, if the rest's dps is low, I just carry their asses and get praised in the end for my massive e-peen.

Makes me feel super good about myself after a stressful day at work.

Edited by Aisle9 on December 6, 2018 6:35PM
    Artemis Absinthe - DC magicka nightblade (PC - EU)
    Gruzosh Barrelsmasher - DC stamina sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Kew'bacca - AD stamina nightblade (PC - EU)
    Jebediah Orbrynn - DC magicka templar (PC - EU)
    Hold-Many-Bags - Mule DK, Promoted to main tank, occasionally stamDD
    Olaf Proudstache - Mule - No longer with us Now a Stamwarden healer
    Aglieglie Brazorf - AD magicka sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)
    Lemmy Raise Master - EP stamina necromancer (PC - EU)

Scions of Dawn recruitment ad - PC EU multifaction PvE endgame raiding guild

LUI user - I can see you when you fap loot.

#SpellswordArmy
    #MakeSpellswordsGreatAgain

In the Game of PuGs you win or you ragequit

"Dip dip potato chip, dip dip potato chip"
  • molecule
    molecule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you announce yours at the start OP, so everyone can check yours or are you above this ?

Why stop at DPS though ?

You should as the Tank what they are wearing, their Health and Resistances

You should ask the Healer the same sort of questions

Only then will you have perfected, being an arse
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    joseayalac wrote: »
    Well, some of the highest DPS numbers I've seen (something like 130k) on combat metrics were done through one-shotting an overland mob with a perfect Shalks > Bird > Reverse Slice that lands at the exact same time. You do get a 130k DPS if the fight lasted 1 second and you did 130k damage :trollface:

I highly doubt you can do 130k damage with one hit from each of those skills. It probably happened in les than a second in order to get the 130k dps measure.

Quite literally what he said, tho.

Edited by Aisle9 on December 6, 2018 6:39PM
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)

#SpellswordArmy

• Latios
    Latios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blah, another thread that will always end in elitism.

I can easily pull 50k+ ST DPS in most dungeons, and that's precisely why I don't give a damn about the numbers the other DPS pulls. If he is a beginner, good, I'll carry the run. If he is a good player, good too, cause it will go faster.

High numbers aren't needed at all for almost every content in the game, and where they are, a single top range DPS will usually compensate the other low/mid range one.

It's very simple: You want tremendously high numbers? Do them yourself and don't PUG. Don't be this 'what's your DPS' guy.

Bonus: These days some dude was pugging vHRC, I join group, he says I need to go to discord(didn't mention in the PUG call). I say I can't and he say's he'll 'kick those who don't have the time to join discord and die all the time', so we run(me out of discord), he dies 10 times, I die none, end of story. I should've shoved the numbers on his face and asked if he was going to kick himself, but I have better things to do.
    Edited by Latios on December 6, 2018 6:51PM
    The Eon Pokémon.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been stuck at the 20 - 22K range for a while.
    I got tired of crappy damage so i started tanking. I would greatly appreciate and tips for increasing my damage.
    p.s. I believe my problem is my rotation, as i use what i see, and what everyone says, is good sets.

ex. My StamWarden uses relequen, Advancing yokeda, and selene. He hits the highest of my dps characters.

Maybe i'm meant to play support :neutral:

That makes you smarter than most. It's ALWAYS your rotation. People just dont like admitting it because, well you know, personally responsibility is a B!#$h. That said, you are ahead of the game because you can't fix a problem if you don't acknowledge the existence of said problem. :smile:
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I can one shot NPCs from stealth using Uppercut. It is so cool.

I had to. You know there is someone who actually thinks that and would post it if they would find the forums.

No one with any sense would care or pay attention to that, which is my point.
  • HobosEverywear
    Hobos come on, the reason you do more damage in a dungeon compared to a dummy is very basic...

In a dungeon you get more penetration because the taunt from a tank applies major fracture/major breach to the boss... this doesn't happen if you're solo on a dummy.

You have more buffs from group members (look for Combat Prayer, Spell Power Cure, Mountain's Blessing) while in a group.

You make a post ranting about DPS but you don't understand basic game mechanics dude.

The general idea behind a DPS test is to know whether you are prepared for harder content don't act like you don't know this. If I wanted to talk about being Group Buffed this thread would be titled Group DPS.
    Edited by HobosEverywear on December 6, 2018 6:55PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hobos come on, the reason you do more damage in a dungeon compared to a dummy is very basic...

In a dungeon you get more penetration because the taunt from a tank applies major fracture/major breach to the boss... this doesn't happen if you're solo on a dummy.

You have more buffs from group members (look for Combat Prayer, Spell Power Cure, Mountain's Blessing) while in a group.

You make a post ranting about DPS but you don't understand basic game mechanics dude.

The general idea behind a DPS test is to know whether you are prepared for harder content don't act like you don't know this. If I wanted to talk about being Group Buffed this thread would be titled Group DPS.

Group DPS is something entirely different. Group DPS is the damage of your total group. This is a very relevant stat for a lot of raids. For example, if you want to skip lunar phase in VMOL, you need a minimum level of Group DPS as that mechanic acts as a hard DPS check for your GROUP.

End of the day, there are a lot of ways to measure and discuss DPS. DPS can vary wildly between fights. Like it or not, the standard for DPS in this game is a dummy parse. Sure they can be manipulated like just about anything else in life, but as long as the testing variables are known, its as good of a standard as anything.

Kinda curious what OP pulls on a 6 million health dummy, self buffed. That is what most raid groups will say is their standard metric.

People that do a lot of testing across multiple classes (liko comes to mind) will usually attempt to standardize their buffs across the classes to better show how they will perform in a fully buffed raid, and to more accurately compare the classes to each other. That certainly results in higher parses, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with using those numbers as long as the buffs being provided are known. Transparency is king.

Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on December 6, 2018 7:08PM
  • temjiu
    temjiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    First off, the title itself is simply silly.

there is no such thing as fake DPS. there is only DPS, and it is either enough, or not enough. if someone is only doing 15k, is that 15k fake? of course not. It may not be enough for that content, but its not fake. And what if it is enough for that content? does the Fake suddenly become not fake? not a very good way of putting things, to be sure.

And who sets the bar for "real" DPS (or what should be classified as enough DPS). is it the player that spends hours on a dummy until he hits some crazy number once and then shouts it out in the forums to increase his perceived epeen? or is it the player who does his "share" of the DPS, while actually staying alive and helping the group accomplish said dungeon? and what is that threshold that earmarks "enough"?

Latios hit it on the head. DPS numbers are only relevant when everyone isn't doing their job, and if someone is over-performing then it matters even less. This thread only serves as a jumping board for the emotionally immature who need some kind of validation in a digital world.

Don't get me wrong, I feel your frustration when you are in a dungeon where the people who queue for DPS slots just suck. I'm not a very good player, so when I pull higher numbers on my healer then the DPS do, and they're standing back spamming heavy attacks with a resto staff, I want to pull my hair out.

But this thread won't solve that. It will only set some stupid and unrealistic bar for damage that simply isn't necessary. So the real question is: if both DD were simply doing their job (doing damage and not dying), what would the REAL threshold need to be for the dungeon to go smoothly? I can tell you from experience that it's not 50k, or even 40k. so anything above that is simply measuring fish tales.

It's not about damage. it's about people not being stupid. and you can't measure that with a damage meter.
    Edited by temjiu on December 6, 2018 7:13PM
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of those rare times where it's okay to mock someone for having "Soul Shriven" under their name.

"A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Unit117
    Unit117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I do about 1mil a second. I know what you are thinking. That’s pretty low for a ice tank. Yeah I agree. I hope to boost it alittle once I farm the ice heart set
  • mikemacon
    mikemacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latios wrote: »
    Blah, another thread that will always end in elitism.

I can easily pull 50k+ ST DPS in most dungeons, and that's precisely why I don't give a damn about the numbers the other DPS pulls. If he is a beginner, good, I'll carry the run. If he is a good player, good too, cause it will go faster.

High numbers aren't needed at all for almost every content in the game, and where they are, a single top range DPS will usually compensate the other low/mid range one.

It's very simple: You want tremendously high numbers? Do them yourself and don't PUG. Don't be this 'what's your DPS' guy.

Bonus: These days some dude was pugging vHRC, I join group, he says I need to go to discord(didn't mention in the PUG call). I say I can't and he say's he'll 'kick those who don't have the time to join discord and die all the time', so we run(me out of discord), he dies 10 times, I die none, end of story. I should've shoved the numbers on his face and asked if he was going to kick himself, but I have better things to do.

BINGO.
  • HobosEverywear
    temjiu wrote: »

there is no such thing as fake DPS. there is only DPS, and it is either enough, or not enough. if someone is only doing 15k, is that 15k fake? of course not. It may not be enough for that content, but its not fake. And what if it is enough for that content? does the Fake suddenly become not fake? not a very good way of putting things, to be sure.

And who sets the bar for "real" DPS (or what should be classified as enough DPS). is it the player that spends hours on a dummy until he hits some crazy number once and then shouts it out in the forums to increase his perceived epeen? or is it the player who does his "share" of the DPS, while actually staying alive and helping the group accomplish said dungeon? and what is that threshold that earmarks "enough"?

Latios hit it on the head. DPS numbers are only relevant when everyone isn't doing their job, and if someone is over-performing then it matters even less. This thread only serves as a jumping board for the emotionally immature who need some kind of validation in a digital world.

Don't get me wrong, I feel your frustration when you are in a dungeon where the people who queue for DPS slots just suck. I'm not a very good player, so when I pull higher numbers on my healer then the DPS do, and they're standing back spamming heavy attacks with a resto staff, I want to pull my hair out.

But this thread won't solve that. It will only set some stupid and unrealistic bar for damage that simply isn't necessary. So the real question is: if both DD were simply doing their job (doing damage and not dying), what would the REAL threshold need to be for the dungeon to go smoothly? I can tell you from experience that it's not 50k, or even 40k. so anything above that is simply measuring fish tales.

It's not about damage. it's about people not being stupid. and you can't measure that with a damage meter.

"Lastly and why this thread was created, for those of you that do not know what your REAL DPS is do everyone else a favor and be honest. Either you have tested or you haven't. Skilled players will know once you begin the content whether your DPS is really where you claim it is or if you have just created a fake number to prevent your self from being removed from the group initially."

One can infer that the "fake number" is higher than their actual DPS test: "Real DPS" as to not be kicked from a group.
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Group DPS is something entirely different. Group DPS is the damage of your total group. This is a very relevant stat for a lot of raids. For example, if you want to skip lunar phase in VMOL, you need a minimum level of Group DPS as that mechanic acts as a hard DPS check for your GROUP.

End of the day, there are a lot of ways to measure and discuss DPS. DPS can vary wildly between fights. Like it or not, the standard for DPS in this game is a dummy parse. Sure they can be manipulated like just about anything else in life, but as long as the testing variables are known, its as good of a standard as anything.

Kinda curious what OP pulls on a 6 million health dummy, self buffed. That is what most raid groups will say is their standard metric.

People that do a lot of testing across multiple classes (liko comes to mind) will usually attempt to standardize their buffs across the classes to better show how they will perform in a fully buffed raid, and to more accurately compare the classes to each other. That certainly results in higher parses, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with using those numbers as long as the buffs being provided are known. Transparency is king.

I used to be able to pull 30k dps on a dummy, back in the day

7KGIupL.png

I know... context matters...

Edited by Aisle9 on December 6, 2018 7:33PM

#SpellswordArmy

• Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    Dear ZOS, may we please have a solo mode for dungeons?

^no one forces you to enter dungeons with 3 others... most of them can be soloed (i.e. don't have mechanics that require 2 ppl standing on plates or bosses that one-hit or perma-stun/grab/disable you).

Have fun.

on topic:
    The thing I notice is that some players really know what they are doing and play "intelligent"... and i fell thats more important then some number generated with a non fighting, non moving target dummy. (edit: or issued by combat metrics and alike, for that matter)
    This defintion holds true for all roles ... i notice a good healer just like a good tank or dps, and most of the time its not The Number that links to my impression.

However I am not taking part in progress endgame ... so maybe the ppl I usually play with are just ... more creative. :D
    Edited by Elsterchen on December 6, 2018 7:35PM
  • HobosEverywear
    Elsterchen wrote: »

^no one forces you to enter dungeons with 3 others... most of them can be soloed (i.e. don't have mechanics that require 2 ppl standing on plates or bosses that one-hit or perma-stun/grab/disable you).

Have fun.

on topic:
    The thing I notice is that some players really know what they are doing and play "intelligent"... and i fell thats more important then some number generated with a non fighting, non moving target dummy.
    This defintion holds true for all roles ... i notice a good healer just like a good tank or dps, and most of the time its not The Number that links to my impression.

However I am not taking part in progress endgame ... so maybe the ppl I usually play with are just ... more creative. :D

I agree a dead DPS is no DPS, mechanics are a big part, but there is a bar you should meet before entering certain content. Which is the purpose of this post. If you are not there, do not claim that your are.
  • Dottzgaming
    Dottzgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will see more numbers not higher DPS.
    You will see more numbers not higher DPS.

It's very simple math,

If you have 1 AOE skill that does 200 DPS and it affects 1 enemy then you are doing 200 DPS.

If you have the same 1AOE skill and it affects 2 enemies then your DPS is 400 DPS.

giphy.gif
    Edited by Dottzgaming on December 6, 2018 7:40PM
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have fun.

on topic:
    The thing I notice is that some players really know what they are doing and play "intelligent"... and i fell thats more important then some number generated with a non fighting, non moving target dummy.

I agree a dead DPS is no DPS, mechanics are a big part, but there is a bar you should meet before entering certain content. Which is the purpose of this post. If you are not there, do not claim that your are.

I am far from claiming anything but playing for fun and beeing very disrespective to any mechanics ... (well untill we get wiped the 3rd time or so) and proudly refraining from anything more challenging then normal runs in pugs (... unless a guildie calls for help ofc). Don't worry. :)
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have fun.

on topic:

You're missing the point everyone is making.

With the exception of very few pieces of content (e.g. vMoL HM to skip lunar phase), if your personal DPS is "good" you don't need other people, dps, so if your group's DPS is low, just carry them.

I can understand the argument for "They didn't bash the minotaur", but that has nothing to do with DPS. Most 4men content you can solo anyways, so extra DPS, any amount of extra DPS, can only be good. If you can't solo, then you should first consider fixing your shortcomings, then look at other's.

If your problem is that the the whole raid had low dps, then you should find yourself another raid, cause if you're running with 8 potatoes it's your fault, not the 8 potatoes'.

Edited by Aisle9 on December 6, 2018 7:43PM

#SpellswordArmy

• Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Fake Tanks irritate me the most, but a bad DPS group is nearly as maddening too. Watch out for those "my hands are tired" DD's too ;):D !
  • HobosEverywear
    Aisle9 wrote: »

Have fun.

on topic:

With the exception of very few pieces of content (e.g. vMoL HM to skip lunar phase), if your personal DPS is "good" you don't need other people, dps, so if your group's DPS is low, just carry them.

I can understand the argument for "They didn't bash the minotaur", but that has nothing to do with DPS. Most 4men content you can solo anyways, so extra DPS, any amount of extra DPS, can only be good. If you can't solo, then you should first consider fixing your shortcomings, then look at other's.

If your problem is that the the whole raid had low dps, then you should find yourself another raid, cause if you're running with 8 potatoes it's your fault, not the 8 potatoes'.

You're missing the point of the entire post.

Lastly and why this thread was created, for those of you that do not know what your REAL DPS is do everyone else a favor and be honest. Either you have tested or you haven't. Skilled players will know once you begin the content whether your DPS is really where you claim it is or if you have just created a fake number to prevent your self from being removed from the group initially.

It doesn't matter what your DPS is, what matter is if your honest about what it is or if you generate a fake number.
  • Daimmyo
    Daimmyo
    ✭✭✭
    Redguard Stamina DK

I can say that I am skilled up now with regards to the skills - having about 370 CP.

Working my way through crafting so I can complete my first armor sets - starting with Hunding/Night Mother - still have few pieces to wrap up - so it's still far from complete.

Playing with 2HSword and Bow, I tend to use meta, but adjusting slightly to my own needs. Never did dungeons so far - tried few times and saw it wasn't going alright.

At those days I was having something like 5k single target DPS.

Nowadays, I am averaging around 10-12k, when I dish out good rotation I can reach 15-16k.

I'm always watching single target DPS as my measure, AoE tends to be about 25-30k on average.

This is just raw progress with the environment, never playing with dummy - looking fwd to fully craft and upgrade my stuff.

I'm not sure if what I do is alright, not sure how would I do in dungeons - my idea is to do it all by myself and go as far as I can on my own.

I really don't have time to explain myself to anyone, I love ESO because of it's casual/semi-casual questing approach and going forward to some more harder content. I do wish there would be a bit more challenging stuff in the regular questing world and delves.

Soloing bosses is still a good challenge.

Edited by Daimmyo on December 6, 2018 7:52PM
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have fun.

on topic:

Lastly and why this thread was created, for those of you that do not know what your REAL DPS is do everyone else a favor and be honest. Either you have tested or you haven't. Skilled players will know once you begin the content whether your DPS is really where you claim it is or if you have just created a fake number to prevent your self from being removed from the group initially.

It doesn't matter what your DPS is, what matter is if your honest about what it is or if you generate a fake number.

Skilled players don't care because they can solo most 4men content anyways, and premades for what they can't.

You have an issue => You're not a skilled player.

Face reality, don't find solace in a delusion, that's how you grow.

Unless your problem is with people lying about their skills to be accepted by their peers, in which case I suggest a mirror.

Hope this helps.
    Have a nice day.

Edited by Aisle9 on December 6, 2018 7:55PM

#SpellswordArmy

• kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m really not a bad player. But I like to experiment with things. Who better to take it out on than group finder pugs. Gawd knows they’ve done it to me enough times. You have to try pretty hard with all this CP and golded out gear to be Bad. But it’s still possible. Viability is objective.
  • HobosEverywear

Have fun.

on topic:

Skilled players don't care because they can solo most 4men content anyways.

Unless your problem is with people lying about their skills to be accepted by their peers, in which case I suggest a mirror.

Hope this helps.
    Have a nice day.

Or........... your group is trying do something casually and or smoothly and don't have time to carry people.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    temjiu wrote: »

(snip)
    I remember a heated thread on the same topic a bit earlier in regards to the event. My point from that thread still stays. If a DD is pulling less DPS than a fully specced tank/healer - he is a "fake DD". He can be replaced with another tank with no drawbacks and only advantages.
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @HobosEverywear what platform do you play? how long have you been playing? Whens the last time this has happened to you? Are you ok broski?
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have fun.

on topic:

Skilled players don't care because they can solo most 4men content anyways.

Hope this helps.
    Have a nice day.

Or........... your group is trying do something casually and or smoothly and don't have time to carry people.

That I genuinely don't understand.

40k group dps is more than enough to do most 4men content casually/smoothly, and it's also what a medium/average "skilled" dps can pull with a basic rotation on their own. If you have 2 skilled players (you mentioned group, so I'm assuming at least 1 more person), that's 80k. 2 more people, pulling, I don't know, 5k each (what a tank pulls), that's 90k group dps.

Most "skilled" dps, at the moment, average on 50k, with stamina builds more on the 54-56k and magicka on the 49-50k, without resorting to cheese on dummy parses, self buffed.

I'm sorry, I don't get your point...

Edited by Aisle9 on December 6, 2018 8:06PM

#SpellswordArmy