The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

REAL vs FAKE DPS

HobosEverywear
So for those of you that do not know DPS means damage per second. That does not mean, "what is the highest damage output number you have seen on your screen?" I don't want to know that you can hit a semi high execute during execute phase. I want to know how much damage .... per .... second .... you can do.

In addition, when joining a group if you are asked "what is your DPS?" The group is not intending for this question to be rude or taken as an insult -most of the time- so knowing what your DPS is, is actually important. It will help the group better strategize whatever content you intend to do as well as fill the group with other members that will fortify your chances of succession.

Lastly and why this thread was created, for those of you that do not know what your REAL DPS is do everyone else a favor and be honest. Either you have tested or you haven't. Skilled players will know once you begin the content whether your DPS is really where you claim it is or if you have just created a fake number to prevent your self from being removed from the group initially. Its called integrity, your not only hurting the group and wasting the time of others when you group up for content you are not ready for, you are hurting yourself. You will be outcasted as a liar and chances are mocked in open world and it does spread like a wildfire.

- I absolutely hate attempting to do content with those who fake there DPS and for anyone who thinks being ranked 810cp means your "Good" you're the problem. There are so many players high in champion points still hitting 10k to 15k. Don't get mad at me because your REAL DPS sucks. ✌
Edited by HobosEverywear on December 6, 2018 5:08PM
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    44k-45k when I use my brain and can go down to around 38k-40k when I'm lazy
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plenty

:wink:

Edit: well you change your title and not my witty response is lost...
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on December 6, 2018 6:02PM
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    58-60k self buffed ;)
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varies lol on a dummy I can do 20k ish but have done in the 30's soloing some normal dungeon bosses on a pet sorcs. So I do more healing than dps.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear ZOS, may we please have a solo mode for dungeons?
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »

There is, it's called Vet :trollface:
    Edited by Sparr0w on December 6, 2018 5:09PM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • HobosEverywear
    Varies lol on a dummy I can do 20k ish but have done in the 30's soloing some normal dungeon bosses on a pet sorcs. So I do more healing than dps.

How do you do 20k ish on a dummy but 30's soloing in a dungeon? Whats inside the dungeon that tells you your DPS is in the 30's? Generally your DPS is lower in a combat situation than on a target dummy.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you do 20k ish on a dummy but 30's soloing in a dungeon? Whats inside the dungeon that tells you your DPS is in the 30's? Generally your DPS is lower in a combat situation than on a target dummy.

AoE DPS vs ST DPS is probably the answer.
  • HobosEverywear
    Royaji wrote: »

You drop the same AOEs on a target dummy however the target dummy stays inside them at all times. I'm still confused as to how you can say that your DPS is in the 30k zone higher than when they tested on a stationary target. 🤯 when soloing the dungeon. Smh.
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

AOE DPS aint the same as Targetdummy ST

In a Dungeon you normally have More penetration than Solo, you have more Flat stats, and more % amplyfiers, like offblanace ect. which actually increase ALL dmg, even ST

And lets be honest here, how many bosses you HAVE TO play mechanics?? (vet included) and therefore loose DPS...its like 5-10% off ALL dungeonbosses (not only endboss, but also bosses during the dungeon)
    The mechanics are the real joke in this game, since you can just ignore and burn too easy without even thinking about them.
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You drop the same AOEs on a target dummy however the target dummy stays inside them at all times. I'm still confused as to how you can say that your DPS is in the 30k zone higher than when they tested on a stationary target. 🤯 when soloing the dungeon. Smh.

If you have five enemies stacked in a dungeon and hit them with AoE you will see more DPS than on a stictly single target dummy parse. Are you sure you yourself know how DPS comparisons are done?
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting thread. Because dps depends on many factors and is usually the result of damage that is stacked or modified by multiple variables. Is fracture/breach applied during testing, and also available in real world - - what about brutality, sorcery, slayer, prophecy etc are those also available in both scenarios, self applied or otherwise, what about off balance, or other cc effects, are there mechanics at play that cause interruption to standard rotation, or that cause delays in stacking damage in the way possible against a static dummy; systemic issues ( e.g. Lag in player home vs lag in trial or dungeon).

Dps does indeed mean damage per second, but not damage per skill per second, it is an aggregate value of damage from a variety of sources,calculated from the total time taken to reduce a fixed value to null.

A dummy parse, is a benchmark of what is achievable in the ideal, perfect, clean room environment, but not a measure of actual skill or reflection of what is manifest in a dungeon. Good indicator, not an absolute. REAL dps will sit either side of that... The player skill and handling of their non clean room environment determines the margin and whether it is acceptible.

That said, the first trash pull definitely tells you if someone has plucked theirs out of thin air.
    Edited by mairwen85 on December 6, 2018 5:24PM
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    BretonMage wrote: »

There is, it's called Vet :trollface:

But I've never been able to finish fang lair. I get pinned there at the second boss and someone else is supposed to bash. Solo mode would be wonderful.

The op is why I'm using the first boss in nAA to try and farm vo by myself. This board really can be awful.

• phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use combat Metrics so I can see what I'm pulling. The 30 k is from last boss in Volenfell. And I'm weird lol.
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This game needs a public DPS meter. We expect everyone doing his/her job don't we? Everyone expects the tank and the healer to do their job properly, why do we have such a broad tolerance about DDs and their jobs? When it takes 5 minutes to burn down a 1m hp miniboss then a DD does not do his/her job properly.
    Edited by Facefister on December 6, 2018 5:38PM
  • HobosEverywear

In a Dungeon you normally have More penetration than Solo, you have more Flat stats, and more % amplyfiers, like offblanace ect. which actually increase ALL dmg, even ST

And lets be honest here, how many bosses you HAVE TO play mechanics?? (vet included) and therefore loose DPS...its like 5-10% off ALL dungeonbosses (not only endboss, but also bosses during the dungeon)
    The mechanics are the real joke in this game, since you can just ignore and burn too easy without even thinking about them.

If you have five enemies stacked in a dungeon and hit them with AoE you will see more DPS than on a stictly single target dummy parse. Are you sure you yourself know how DPS comparisons are done?

You will see more numbers not higher DPS.
    Edited by HobosEverywear on December 6, 2018 7:02PM
  • joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hobos come on, the reason you do more damage in a dungeon compared to a dummy is very basic...

In a dungeon you get more penetration because the taunt from a tank applies major fracture/major breach to the boss... this doesn't happen if you're solo on a dummy.

You have more buffs from group members (look for Combat Prayer, Spell Power Cure, Mountain's Blessing) while in a group.

You make a post ranting about DPS but you don't understand basic game mechanics dude.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You have the same

Technically you are getting more DPS. It is not single target (or boss) DPS though. Most addons do not show that by default and you need to do a bit of legwork to get to the actual numbers. That's where some players might assume that they are doing much better in a dungeon.

If we were to talk about the most common representative dummy parse used - solo, no orbs/shards, standard set-up, no Zaan, no 18k pen (it is ususally clarified separately if Ele Drain/Pierce were provided) you would see an increase in your DPS in an actual run (with exception being some funky stuff like AS and CR). It arises from all the support and better penetration you get from your group. It usually outweighs any kind of mechanics (and to be honest, if mechanics are interrupting your rotation you need to spend more time on a dummy).
  • VagabondLife
    VagabondLife
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have the same

No you don't. My magsorc wears BSW and Illambris. They both proc much more frequently when I'm fighting multiple enemies. So if a boss fight has ANY adds at all, my ST damage (on JUST the boss) will still be much higher than when I'm just beating up a single target dummy.

• joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's very simple math,

If you have 1 AOE skill that does 200 DPS and it affects 1 enemy then you are doing 200 DPS.

If you have the same 1AOE skill and it affects 2 enemies then your DPS is 400 DPS.

Boss fights sometimes have enemy NPCs... that's more enemies in your equation so it translates to higher DPS.

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you aren't on PC, the only option you have for figuring out your DPS is to use a training dummy.

ESO badly needs a DPS meter available as part of the base game for everyone. Otherwise, players will be ignorant about how much damage they actually do and easy ways they can improve.
    Edited by VaranisArano on December 6, 2018 6:02PM
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh boy...

You have the same

Oh boy...

Ok...

1) DPS is damage per second meaning how much damage you do in a second, not how much damage you do in a second on that target, that's ST DPS (single target DPS), Combat Metrics gives you 3 values for DPS, a)total dps (including eventual adds), b) single target dps on the boss, c) Individual DPS for every target in the detailed report.

N.B.: In some fights, cleave damage is actually fairly important to be able to burn adds without having to focus them, so total DPS is not useless info.

Someone looking at the real time counter only sees the total DPS (adds + boss).

2) In a dungeon, in a group, you have:

a) higher penetration:
    -- Crusher enchant from tank
    -- Alkosh from tank
    -- Major Fracture/Breach - if you don't apply it yourself on the dummy
    -- Minor Fracture/Breach (potl)

b) group buffs:
    -- combat prayer (if you dont' have access to minor berserk)
    -- warhorn
    -- Olorime/SPC/PA
    -- minor vulnerability from shock glyphs/blockade of storms/liquid lightning/IA/other sources

3) Class passives from other classes in your group (eg Sorcs give spell crit, Temps weapon damage, etc).

4) Builds that don't have access to reliable off-balace (e.g. stamina builds) can have blockade of storm and have off balance for 10% damage increase while active.

5) Every class with no access to minor berserk (Sorcs, DK, Temps) will do 10% more damage when minor berserk is provided (e.g. combat prayer).

All the aforementioned reasons make you do more dps in dungeons than in a dummy parse.

Hope this clarifies.
    Have a nice day.

Edited by Aisle9 on December 6, 2018 7:09PM
    Artemis Absinthe - DC magicka nightblade (PC - EU)
    Gruzosh Barrelsmasher - DC stamina sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Kew'bacca - AD stamina nightblade (PC - EU)
    Jebediah Orbrynn - DC magicka templar (PC - EU)
    Hold-Many-Bags - Mule DK, Promoted to main tank, occasionally stamDD
    Olaf Proudstache - Mule - No longer with us Now a Stamwarden healer
    Aglieglie Brazorf - AD magicka sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)
    Lemmy Raise Master - EP stamina necromancer (PC - EU)

Scions of Dawn recruitment ad - PC EU multifaction PvE endgame raiding guild

LUI user - I can see you when you fap loot.

#SpellswordArmy
    #MakeSpellswordsGreatAgain

In the Game of PuGs you win or you ragequit

"Dip dip potato chip, dip dip potato chip"
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You have the same

After those responses, I am not sure OP understand what DPS is...

You absolutely pull more DPS when you have multiple enemies than when you have a single enemy. That is why any competent player knows how to distinguish ST DPS from Total DPS in a fight. It's also why addons like combat metrics post both if you set it up properly.

As a General Rule. Total Fight DPS>ST Boss DPS>Target Dummy DPS assuming mechanics can generally be ignored on said fight, which is most of them. Total Fight DPS=ST Boss DPS when there are no adds.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on December 6, 2018 6:14PM
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I dunno about pc but on Xbox EU dps scores have turned into a bit of an elitist scumbag contest. Personally I hit 53k self buffed but don't rub it in other people's faces. I try to help my guild mates reach higher numbers too. A lot of people think if you don't hit 40k you're trash & can't do content. Yet these people sometimes spend a lot of the time on the ground waiting to be ressed..... How much deeps you doing back there now buddy?
    Edited by pod88kk on December 6, 2018 6:15PM
  • HallowedUndead
    I've been stuck at the 20 - 22K range for a while.
    I got tired of crappy damage so i started tanking. I would greatly appreciate and tips for increasing my damage.
    p.s. I believe my problem is my rotation, as i use what i see, and what everyone says, is good sets.

ex. My StamWarden uses relequen, Advancing yokeda, and selene. He hits the highest of my dps characters.

Maybe i'm meant to play support :neutral:
  • Zatox
    Zatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    StamDK ~35k solo parse (briarheart, VO, maelstrom backbar, 810CP). Trashpots and shrouded dagger as a spammable.
    This is more than enough for HM DLC even in a random group (maybe except dragon bones and wolfhunter HM, never try it).
  • joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP is getting roasted and post is about him complaining about people not understanding game mechanics... lmfao
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can one shot NPCs from stealth using Uppercut. It is so cool.

I had to. You know there is someone who actually thinks that and would post it if they would find the forums.

Personally, idk why such a thread is needed. Those who would state they got a single hit on something for Xk are fairly rare. In a decent raiding guild no one would mention such a thing and if they are a pug, who really cares since you may never see that player again.
    Edited by idk on December 6, 2018 6:21PM
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I can one shot NPCs from stealth using Uppercut. It is so cool.

I had to. You know there is someone who actually thinks that and would post it if they would find the forums.

Well, some of the highest DPS numbers I've seen (something like 130k) on combat metrics were done through one-shotting an overland mob with a perfect Shalks > Bird > Reverse Slice that lands at the exact same time. You do get a 130k DPS if the fight lasted 1 second and you did 130k damage :trollface:
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive only tested DPS on a target dummy with on of my characters. The build i used for it was my first character, it was for me only and so there was no “art or science” behind it, i just implemented attacks and abilities and weapons systems i liked. This character is a dual wielding imperial templar running julianos, skoria, and spinner, and ive made it up to 20k with class and mage guild abilities only. Ive made other more “recomended builds but ive never made a point to dps test them on a dummy. I know they can do more damage because how much faster i cut down the bad guys in dungeons and trials.
    But how people are rolling through 60k or more dps is beyond my understanding of the mechanics and weaving of the game. Somebody please enlighten me!
    My next build i decided to work on is a Magika DK dark elf. Im planning on running BSW and Spell strat, havnt picked a monster set yet... would anyone care to give me some advice on this?