The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What are Zenis plans for lag?

martinhpb16_ESO
martinhpb16_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
Still with the lag WTF!!!!
At least the spelling is difficult for you.
Hew's Bane*
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lag and bugs will probably never be fixed. It seems like a feature at this point. I want a set that gives me 30 seconds of lag immunity after I break free, so I can better fight outnumbered.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Their plan is to not worry about it too much and let it sort itself out as more and more pvpers quit.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Plans? You’re funny
  • PhantomOcelot
    PhantomOcelot
    ✭✭✭
    Ignore it and hope it will go away
    @PhantomOcelot
    PC EU
    CP 1000+

• gp1680
    gp1680
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    “Working as intended.”
  • crazy_catman21
    crazy_catman21
    ✭✭✭
    New players don’t complain, that’s why they cater to them :smile:
  • OFFL1MIT
    OFFL1MIT
    ✭✭✭
    Zenis Has no plans for lag, we're playing with lag in cyro like 3-4 years and it's still havent been fixed. They tried, but with no luck. Probably impossible to fix it without changing the engine it self. And as you noticed, the more they add stuff to the game the more it lags. To rebuild engine and game itself you need a lot of money, but money for zeni is not a problem, the problem is time. On another hand, if you noticed this game is still popular and have big playerbase, so new engine will wait for a while.
    You can reduce lag when it gets pingy hot. Avoid channel abilities, AOE, try to use direct damage abilities and you will experience less lags. Well atleast it helped me, moving from templar to sorc, it used to even kick me out when I was playing templar because of lag, but not anymore on sorc
  • Aelakhaii_De_Mythos
    Aelakhaii_De_Mythos
    ✭✭✭✭
    In all likelihood there is no problem with lag other than zeni not willing to put money into it.

Pathetic but whatever.
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    z9NjKLV.png
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's easy to understand why lag will never be fixed once you understand the reason why it happens in the first place.

In 2014 Cyro was very smooth. The game was developed in such a way that most calculations were done client-side. This allowed for large scale PvP. After the whole CE fiasco ZOS had to move most calculations server-side. Under that system large scale PvP became impossible.

There's little ZOS can do to fix it.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk what is zos' plan for lag but my plan is playing in shor in prime time, and in vivec in off prime time if i happen to be logged in. So far it works great.
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    It's easy to understand why lag will never be fixed once you understand the reason why it happens in the first place.

In 2014 Cyro was very smooth. The game was developed in such a way that most calculations were done client-side. This allowed for large scale PvP. After the whole CE fiasco ZOS had to move most calculations server-side. Under that system large scale PvP became impossible.

There's little ZOS can do to fix it.
    Cyro was not different in 2014 too. The lag was exactly same in prime times. The only big difference is we had better fps in laggy big fights. (Almost as smooth as empty zones)
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its been worse since Mirk or is that my imagination?
    Hew's Bane*
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS can’t fix it. It’s a problem with the foundational code of their game, and it just isn’t cost-effective to change that. Their plan is only to acknowledge the existence of very specific bugs that they can replicate and fix, and not acknowledge that the lag we experience happens.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta laugh. PvP was the big selling point for ESO and Zen has completely turned a blind eye to its problems.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
  • valeriiya
    valeriiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe we'll get a "lag free PvP" token in the Crown Store soon. Unless it will make them more money than it will cost to fix, they won't touch it.
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we all go in our underwear and fist fight maybe we can get a lag free Xmas.

Otherwise Zeni - what are your plans?
    Edited by martinhpb16_ESO on November 27, 2018 7:12PM
    Hew's Bane*
  • AllegraLionheart
    After the whole CE fiasco ZOS had to move most calculations server-side.
    Story time? I googled it, no dice finding it. What caused the client to server-side move?
    PC/NA
    Breton Magden pretending to be a Nord
    GM - Chal Basement Battalion, PvP Guild (Gray Host)
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Story time? I googled it, no dice finding it. What caused the client to server-side move?

I guess it was possible to change your stats and it actually recognized by the server. Nowadays you can still change your stats for the lols and screenshots but any damage or healing (or even interracting with game world) resets them back to original.

Btw, shor is quite lag-free even in prime times, but sometimes it can be unbalanced. If some people from all sides come and join us, it will be a great campaign again. Last month was a blast, this month feels a bit empty and unbalanced.
    edit: EU server i mean
    Edited by Soris on November 27, 2018 9:33PM
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one of the more (in)famous examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkFChvpYHSI
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you guys tried this, I know it took my FPS way up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pYJeanHHQ4&t=5s
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a myth.

1. There was crippling server-side lag years before the CE (memory hacking) debacle in 2016 when a group of players took memory hacking out of the shadows by using it in obvious ways to prove it was possible in ESO. ZOS did not respond to the controversy in a meaningful way, they just swept it under the rug. Here is what one of the participants had to say about it.

2. ESO is still vulnerable to memory hacking as the client is still trusted and does not utilize modern cheat mitigation techniques. The only thing that is known to have changed is that ZOS does a better job of obfuscating data in client memory, making it more difficult to memory hack.

ZOS has explained the Cyrodiil was lag-free during the first couple of months because players were low level and didn't know how to play. They have flat-out denied that it had anything to do with client security. This is obvious when you watch early videos. Cyrodiil developed crippling server-side lag during the summer of 2014.
    Edited by zyk on November 27, 2018 11:34PM
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @zyk

My belief is that the anti-bot measures implemented with the infamous lighting patch (1.2) are to blame to a large extent, but of course nobody outside can say for sure.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    zyk

My belief is that the anti-bot measures implemented with the infamous lighting patch (1.2) are to blame to a large extent, but of course nobody outside can say for sure.

@ZOS_BrianWheeler has said that's not what happened. He explained that from their POV, server lag increased as more of the playerbase reached max level.
    Edited by zyk on November 28, 2018 11:09AM
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    zyk

@ZOS_BrianWheeler has said that's not what happened. He explained that from their POV, server lag increased as more of the playerbase reached max level.

I don't buy that. Yes, maxed out passives, available skills and set induced calculations may rise with more players having max level toons. Yet we have experienced that the noCP stress test didn't show lag was any better, and in fact, the times of EU Sotha Sil being relatively lag free are over too. I remember though how horrible it was when 1.2 and 1.3 hit the servers. It was night and day.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    zyk

That's like saying "24men ballgroups are the reason of server lag". They are a main cause but not the only responsible. When Brian Wheeler argued agains the famous "lightning patch accusations". he never spoke once about the anti-bot system that was introduced in the meantime. He simply talked about the "lightning" aspect of it.

Anything they add to the server side, like anti-bot, anti-cheat, etc. will drastically increase server lag if not optimized properly. On top of this, players learning the game, unlocking more passives, utilizing more aoes in a synchronized fashion add up to it.

God I hit edit on this post, added up info, miss clicked my mouse and lost 30mins of writing. >.<

Anyway, at this point I believe that this game will remain in a stalemate until people quit entirely. I'm going to speculate my own assumptions here as I am not aware of anything at all. I believe that ZOS is out of financial resources and they don't have any plans ahead to fix performances issues. This being said, even if Bethesda is on top of ZOS, I believe they sold their game entirely to them and their decisions don't matter much anymore in the future of the game.

Bethesda already invested into another MMO (Fallout 76) and they announced publicly recently that they were looking to build a new team for a third MMO coming up. This could mean two different things :

1) Bethesda realized how poorly optimized the game engine and the net code is and would rather start fresh after learning from their mistakes with a brand new game.

2) Bethesda does not want to invest to fix a broken game, they also have no intention to make the new ones any better. Their marketing department simply believe that releasing new titles and milk the system once more will bring more money.
    Edited by frozywozy on November 28, 2018 12:37PM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frozywozy wrote: »
    When Brian Wheeler argued agains the famous "lightning patch accusations". he never spoke once about the anti-bot system that was introduced in the meantime. He simply talked about the "lightning" aspect of it.
    He has said it wasn't bot code. The lighting aspect was obviously purely client side. Although, another popular theory then was that the game processed light particles server-side which was just completely absurd.

ESO had been live less than three months old when 1.2.3 was released. The *severe* FPS drop bugs introduced with that patch took weeks to resolve. So it's not hard to believe that the playerbase had leveled significantly during that period. The FPS drops were far less problematic in open world PVE.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just thinking about this the other day. I really like the game in general but between the lag and constant releasing of sets every quarter with the chance of a new carry mechanic, the game crushes itself. You can at least just jump on the meta for that half, but there is nothing you can do about not being able to control your character with any sort of responsiveness.
  • Iskras
    Iskras
    ✭✭✭
    "What are Zenis plans for lag?"

Im curious too.