The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Harvest Griefing - Please consider changing this mechanic

• wolf486
    wolf486
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, just as in life most people will be decent and see you are probably in battle but were after a chest/node or whatever and move on. Others? Well they see an opportunity. In 800 hours in ESO I can honestly say I've never had this happen to me at least.
    PC/NA
    Moved onto BDO and GW2 Skyrim, ATS/ETS2, ACNH and the overall goodness of single player games

RIP to the following:
    (DC) Tharbûrz gro-Glumgrog - Orsimer -Stamden (lvl 50)
    (AD) Vukz - Bosmer - Stamblade (lvl 50)
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wolf486 wrote: »
    No, just as in life most people will be decent and see you are probably in battle but were after a chest/node or whatever and move on. Others? Well they see an opportunity. In 800 hours in ESO I can honestly say I've never had this happen to me at least.

Oh, I have.... even just since starting in June. Several times I've been fighting a mob near a Psijic Portal, only to watch as someone comes along and grabs it while my girl is trying to kill the mob while staying alive. One of those lovely people whispered me a razzberry.... *sigh*
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there is a node guarded by mobs that you loot while someone else is fighting the mobs, you're a jerk, period. You probably know you're a jerk and get a good feeling from being one.

I think being attacked should interrupt harvesting so harvesters aren't leashing mobs across the map constantly, but that one should be able to harvest while still in combat.
    Edited by zyk on November 21, 2018 12:01AM
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    This sort of stuff is why I'm just doing Shadow Cleft every day. I can't fight for nodes for the other stuff - too much lag, and I've also had way too much of this in the other games I played since early 2006. I don't need the aggro!

ugh, the shadow cleft is one of my least favorite spots in the whole game - it seems impossible to move more than 2 meters without aggroing some npc...

and to top that off, some of the npcs have that totally annoying move where they pull you back to them when you're trying to get away...

that place drives me nuts :#
    Edited by geonsocal on November 21, 2018 12:29AM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    josiahva wrote: »
    there is no "stealing" first come, first serve. If you want to waste time harvesting nodes that an enemy is sitting on in a busy area, that's on you.

This is it. Plain and simple.

I recall going after a node, another player tried to get their first by running through a group of mobs. I harvested it and they send me a nasty tell. LOL. If they had gone around the mobs I would have still gotten the node first. I was the bigger person and did not reply to their tell. That probably got them more worked up.

• xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    omg this is literally the top priority on zos to do list!...100% manpower to it in order to please the snowflakes!!!
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    omg this is literally the top priority on zos to do list!...100% manpower to it in order to please the snowflakes!!!

you're a snowflake xena..
    d09f78b70dc6078da41c8cb7ef412740.gif
    Edited by geonsocal on November 21, 2018 12:41AM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    This sort of stuff is why I'm just doing Shadow Cleft every day. I can't fight for nodes for the other stuff - too much lag, and I've also had way too much of this in the other games I played since early 2006. I don't need the aggro!

ugh, the shadow cleft is one of my least favorite spots in the whole game - it seems impossible to move more than 2 meters without aggroing some npc...

and to top that off, some of the npcs have that totally annoying move where they pull you back to them when you're trying to get away...

that place drives me nuts :#

Um. I only have to kill maybe one mob if that. In fact, it's now one of my fav delves because it's pretty straightforward, the mobs don't aggro, and the boss is a pushover.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the wafts.
    Don't steal my wafts bro.
    signing off
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    Minyassa wrote: »
    3. Build mechanic to allow us to reach through the internet and throatpunch people who harvest a node someone is obviously fighting for. Also useful for social media trolls.

The worst is event nodes. If I see someone fighting, I might wait to see if they harvest the node after fighting. Once in CWC, they didn't actually want the node, but I didn't want to steal it from under them when they were clearing mobs. Nodes without mobs though in CWC dailies are a race.

It appears you have a little diginity and honour. Most node farmers have neither.

Edited by Mr_Walker on November 21, 2018 1:14AM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »
    And the wafts.
    Don't steal my wafts bro.

What are they good for?
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are they good for?

One or two ectoplasm per waft, so free gold just floating around.
    signing off
  • Dawnblade
    Dawnblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update the harvest node mechanic, other games have moved to personalized spawns or have shared spawns.

No reason to keep mechanics in place that just cause players to *** off one another.

While at it, solve the issue with no loot off mobs in busy areas - either scale mobs to crowd size (e.g. dynamic HP) or set the loot to 'if you tag it, you get loot'.

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »
    What are they good for?

One or two ectoplasm per waft, so free gold just floating around.

Oh. Duh. Thanks!
  • Odnoc
    Odnoc
    ✭✭✭✭
    there is no "stealing" first come, first serve. If you want to waste time harvesting nodes that an enemy is sitting on in a busy area, that's on you.

You're right, first come first serve, if I am at a node fighting a mob and you come up behind me, you're not first come. Call it stealing or don't, the bottom line is if someone is clearing a mob that is right on top of the node, they are likely doing it to harvest the node. To think they are clearing the mob for you to harvest the node is pretty pathetic and you should l2p, that's not "first come first serve".
    Edited by Odnoc on November 21, 2018 2:20AM
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it was a bad move to make double node drops and make the nodes necessary for quests. At least I Wrothgar when it’s double nodes, people can spread out to farm. Bad decision on their part....small zone crammed with people literally fighting over nodes for a quest, not just being grabby. Bad mix.

Exactly why I don't farm during the events for small DLCs.

In fact in my experience the best thing to do durnig these events is to go somewhere normal like Stros M'kai because everybody else is in CC, so you have fresh pickings. In the end even without double drops you end up leaving with more than had you gone to the event zone.

The only time it's good to farm during a small zone event is Dark Brotherhood, and you absolutely must be on a specific quest and stage that lets you go to an isolated zone called "Jerall Mountains" already one of the best farms in the game, but when double resources is on... oof. I have one character I won't progress quests with because of it. As soon as you complete the quest the area is locked out. Keep this in mind the next DB anniversary ;)
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odnoc wrote: »

You're right, first come first serve, if I am at a node fighting a mob and you come up behind me, you're not first come. Call it stealing or don't, the bottom line is if someone is clearing a mob that is right on top of the node, they are likely doing it to harvest the node. To think they are clearing the mob for you to harvest the node is pretty pathetic and you should l2p, that's not "first come first serve".

But what if they are fighting a mob that is 20 meters from a node? Or what if there is a node and a chest? Do they get everything? I try not to be a ***, but sometimes there are ambiguous situations.

Frankly if someone is trying to harvest in an area I'm farming, I don't really want them there. Being curteous about a single node spawn when I pick up one every seven seconds really doesn't register anymore. I find that having a run speed set on a stam toon, and most people realize they are going to be out competed, and they go somewhere else.

What I more often see is players waiting for me to engage so they can take the chest while I'm fighting. What I do is kill em fast and take the chest anyway. If a fight takes more than 2-3 seconds you are doing it wrong.
    Edited by ImmortalCX on November 21, 2018 3:13AM
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GW2 handles harvesting better since the nodes aren't shared with other players, but I rarely experience the issue of having to fight with another person over a single node among many. I have once witnessed two people fighting over a node only to have a third person swipe it though.
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I challenge every mat thief to a duel. Then I kill them if they ain’t cowards and decline.
    Edited by JumpmanLane on November 21, 2018 6:33AM
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish my life was so simple that this is what I had to worry about.
  • Lifemocker
    Lifemocker
    ✭✭✭
    Rule 1. It's not yours until it's in your inventory.
    Rule 2. See rule 1 ^
  • Xerikten
    Xerikten
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lifemocker wrote: »
    Rule 1. It's not yours until it's in your inventory.
    Rule 2. See rule 1 ^

poster child of classless.
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty poor planning on the devs for not foreseeing this cluster f coming. Similar to the 1st midyear event where they waited to open more instances for cyro.

I have a team of toons already stacked with completed dailies so I should be good to events end, I just decided to knock out as many as I could to contain my frustration to one play session. I'm using my extra feather for this event, I'll be damn if I go through this bs again next year.

What should have been a fun event has turned out to be a battle of frustration. If I wanted to compete against other players I have bg's for that. I like the idea of enabling pvp during events like this, at least one could take out their frustration on the node thieves.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of one's opinion on node stealing, there is no justification as to why you're prevented form harvesting nodes when in combat. It is a great annoyance, even in solo play with no other players around. You kill some mobs, then have to waste x seconds just staring at the screen until the combat ends, and you can finally get the node and move on.

Let ME decide whether to take the risk to loot a node, chest or other resource, while being hit by mobs. It's a QoL change for solo play that would be easy to implement, and at least someone could fight someone else over node spawns on equal grounds, instead of immediately being locked out of looting the moment they get in combat.
  • menathradiel
    menathradiel
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's funny, I've noticed people purposefully leaving nodes in CWC pretty much alone during this event. They gather the quest items from them but leave the node for others to get their quest items from as well. This was on PS4 NA btw and clearly not everyone does it but it was nice when I did see it happen.

I leave all the nodes in CWC alone except when I'm harvesting for the quests. Seems like the decent thing to do when I know that everyone is going to be looking for them for their own quests.
    Tank Girl
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    During this event, I have not encountered any problems with people stealing nodes. Harvesting in Rivenspire is a different story. One particular player is running a speed build, wearing kollopi essence disguise. This person does not hesitate to run into a node at high speed and burgle it from under the nose of the player already at the node. Been a victim of this player more than once and witnessed it happen with other players too.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Camael
    Camael
    ✭✭
    theyancey wrote: »
    The vast majority of players are cool. Yesterday in CWC I saw someone getting gnawed on by a mob while trying to harvest a needed quest mat. I just whacked the mob for them so that they could get their harvest. I was able to find another for me a few minutes later. Other people have done the same for me.

Kudos to You! I acting similar but what I encounter recently in CwC is beyond everything. During "Imperfect' daily quest when gathering plaques I run into person spamming AOE with synergy on top of the spawn point where mobs were spawning nearby. He/She trolled and tried to make people pull mobs on themself (similar way what people does in IC districts with bosses). Was very funny for me to see that person being victim of it's own joke when I start to tell people to not synergy his AOE by accident🤣 best 15mins of my time wasted in ESO. I get many thanks from unaware noobies😌
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    Regardless of one's opinion on node stealing, there is no justification as to why you're prevented form harvesting nodes when in combat. It is a great annoyance, even in solo play with no other players around. You kill some mobs, then have to waste x seconds just staring at the screen until the combat ends, and you can finally get the node and move on.

Let ME decide whether to take the risk to loot a node, chest or other resource, while being hit by mobs. It's a QoL change for solo play that would be easy to implement, and at least someone could fight someone else over node spawns on equal grounds, instead of immediately being locked out of looting the moment they get in combat.

That would be a nice change. Node stealing was one of the things that constantly stuck in my craw when I was playing SWTOR-- but you could play more aggressively and snag the node when mobs aggroed on you or while your companion took care of the enemy and you took damage.

Here, it's almost worse. Combat lockout is a major PITA and makes choosing to be less conservative impossible.

Just reading this thread makes me really glad I destroyed my indrik feather. I had absolutely no temptation to venture into Clockwork City and completely ruin the respect I have for the playerbase here.
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ImmortalCX wrote: »
    Odnoc wrote: »

But what if they are fighting a mob that is 20 meters from a node? Or what if there is a node and a chest? Do they get everything? I try not to be a ***, but sometimes there are ambiguous situations.

Frankly if someone is trying to harvest in an area I'm farming, I don't really want them there. Being curteous about a single node spawn when I pick up one every seven seconds really doesn't register anymore. I find that having a run speed set on a stam toon, and most people realize they are going to be out competed, and they go somewhere else.

What I more often see is players waiting for me to engage so they can take the chest while I'm fighting. What I do is kill em fast and take the chest anyway. If a fight takes more than 2-3 seconds you are doing it wrong.

If it's ambiguous, wait a few seconds. The universe won't end if you take a short break.
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patience vrs. high blood pressure.

1) find spawn spot
    2) spam 'E' til you have all you need

Is it fun? Not really. But, a helluva lot more fun than running around in circles fighting with others.