The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Harvest Griefing - Please consider changing this mechanic

BringerOfOmens
BringerOfOmens
✭✭✭
Personally, I try not to sweat the little stuff but the toxic zone chat over this mechanic is what is prompting me to ask for a change. The topic is absolutely toxic in zone chat and it really amps up during events when harvesting is required for the rewards.

What is the issue? Not being able to harvest when in combat AND the delay after combat before you are able to harvest.

There are constant arguments in zone chat about "node stealing", "chest stealing" and a plethora of descriptive arguments which are not beneficial to the community in any fashion over this mechanic.

Possible solutions:
1. Remove the combat lock on harvest (seems easiest)
2. Lock nodes to the first player to be within 2 meters of it for 1 minute (likely much more a pain)

Thanks for the consideration.
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is no "stealing" first come, first serve. If you want to waste time harvesting nodes that an enemy is sitting on in a busy area, that's on you.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just accept that some people suck. That is the best approach.

On the other hand, I recently had someone whisper "***" to me in Mournhold (iirc) and I think it was because I harvested Ruby Ash in the middle of a crowded city and they thought they had some claim to it. They also blocked me when they did it. So childish.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »

On the other hand, I recently had someone whisper "***" to me in Mournhold (iirc) and I think it was because I harvested Ruby Ash in the middle of a crowded city and they thought they had some claim to it. They also blocked me when they did it. So childish.

The yolo swag children love doing that. Talk a bunch of smack and then block.

*shrugs*

Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    3. Build mechanic to allow us to reach through the internet and throatpunch people who harvest a node someone is obviously fighting for. Also useful for social media trolls.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The yolo swag children love doing that. Talk a bunch of smack and then block.

*shrugs*

Sadly, so many people are consumed with their own feelings and are indifferent to the world beyond their personal emotional reactions. Add to that a level of narcissism that expects everyone to notice where they are and what their intentions are (I never actually saw the person) and they just make things suck.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    3. Build mechanic to allow us to reach through the internet and throatpunch people who harvest a node someone is obviously fighting for. Also useful for social media trolls.

The worst is event nodes. If I see someone fighting, I might wait to see if they harvest the node after fighting. Once in CWC, they didn't actually want the node, but I didn't want to steal it from under them when they were clearing mobs. Nodes without mobs though in CWC dailies are a race.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ha, I won a node battle yesterday in cwc...

went to harvest a runestone node, but, there was a couple of fabricants hanging around, starting fighting them (right on top of the node), and, some player came along and tried to swoop in and harvest it...

fortunately though they aggro'd the fabricants also...

we both spent a minute or two fighting the fabricants and jumping up and down on the node trying to harvest it...

some other nearby player stopped to watch the absolutely ridiculous scene we were making...

I was finally able to harvest the node...immediately afterward played the celebration emote...

the whole experience was immensely gratifying...I believe one day I'll write a book about that remarkable encounter...
    Edited by geonsocal on November 20, 2018 8:56PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Abigail
    Abigail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move on.

I spend a lot of time harvesting and in all the time I've played this game I do not recall one time I've ever won a contested node, nor can I recount the number of times someone harvested a node while I was killing a mob. Life's too short to worry about it.

On the same token, I'm probably accused of kill stealing OFTEN, but I don't pay attention to zone chat. I consider this payback for the thousands of nodes I've been beat out of.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »

The worst is event nodes. If I see someone fighting, I might wait to see if they harvest the node after fighting. Once in CWC, they didn't actually want the node, but I didn't want to steal it from under them when they were clearing mobs. Nodes without mobs though in CWC dailies are a race.

Honestly, during events other zones are uninhabited. I’ve found plenty of nodes and no half looted chests and troves.

All the garbage is concentrated in CWC. ;)
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it funny how little design choices a developer makes shows how they care or dont care for a general social structure of their game.

They could of easily had static resource nodes that each player where able to access without others affecting there collection (example, gw2 resource system... Simple, clean and functional)

Or

What zos has allowed to pass, where you can troll/grief anyone by leaving the 'trash' in the node.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think removing the 'in combat' block would be best.

If you want to harvest and take damage, or open a chest and take damage, or fish and take damage while you do so, then that should be player choice. Unless it's a knock down from the enemy, then they shouldn't interrupt you. This would allow players to harvest while in combat, even if someone ran up during a fight to try and snatch something.

Outside of that, maybe they have reasons to keep you from doing stuff like that in combat. I mostly think it's more annoying when you get stuck in combat for a bit after you have killed everything and can't use a door or whatever. But for the most part, you aren't going to lose nodes or chests that often, sometimes it will happen, but really not the end of the world.

Sure, it is irritating to watch someone benefit from doing something sleezy like waiting for a pull and then going in a grabbing something, but that's the world, you will run into sleezy people from time to time.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The vast majority of players are cool. Yesterday in CWC I saw someone getting gnawed on by a mob while trying to harvest a needed quest mat. I just whacked the mob for them so that they could get their harvest. I was able to find another for me a few minutes later. Other people have done the same for me.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only problem I have is when events drive a large number of players to compete for limited nodes. This is epitomized by the current CWC daily WB quest to kill the Imperfect. Players must compete in a very small defined area for plaques that harvest like nodes. The solution is, for quests like this to make the nodes share - just like bags of flour or boxes of tomatoes do.

I hate this quest because my reward for trying to be fair and gracious to other players is spending a frustrating amount of time watching nodes disappear in front of me. The 'Kill da Crow' daily is fine because the waves of foes you have to kill as a secondary objective share just fine.

When not on such a quest I never experience 'node competition' problems. My chars are CP810 and my supplies are robust; I figure any other player I see going for a node likely needs it more than I and happily yield to others. More often than not, I'm rewarded by finding another node very quickly.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do have an issue with the fact that the person that triggers the fight is locked out of interacting with the node, even if the mobs are dead. My first suggestion would be to remove the person from combat almost instantly when the mobs are dead. This will likely help in many other areas of the game as well. When I'm standing alone by a node with mobs I've just killed and I can't interact with it, but someone else strolls by and picks it up, it is frustrating.

I would be very much against the second suggestion in the op. Locking nodes to players that step near them could just lead to more potential griefing issues overall.

Also, somewhat related, please just let me mount in combat. If you can't fix the "in combat" issue, then just let me mount while in combat. Perhaps give my mount zero stamina while mounting and shortly after getting on, so if I do have actual enemies around, they just dismount me. Once I take off, refill my horse stam so I can sprint.
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see it I'm taking it. There's no honor online so tough luck.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just enable PvP during events, that will fix it! >:)
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny, I've noticed people purposefully leaving nodes in CWC pretty much alone during this event. They gather the quest items from them but leave the node for others to get their quest items from as well. This was on PS4 NA btw and clearly not everyone does it but it was nice when I did see it happen.
    Argonian forever
  • Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    They must all be Millennial's. THey want their participation trophy NOW!
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valid and logical suggestions. I just hear a goblin whispering "we makes the cretins fight each other and theys leeeves us alone yes? "
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are constant arguments in zone chat about "node stealing", "chest stealing" and a plethora of descriptive arguments which are not beneficial to the community in any fashion over this mechanic...
    There is NO stealing.
    If someone else gets there first, or sneaks in and grabs it while you are busy fighting... then that's just too bad.
    And yeah, it is very, very annoying, and I avoid doing that whenever I can - If I see soneone closing towards a node or chest, or fight near one, I usually pass them by and move to the next. But I don't go around demanding everyone to do that.

There also is no sense at all in getting worked up about it when it does happen - yeah, it is vexing if you finally find the node you need for to complete your CWC-gathering quest, and just as sou are about to close to take it, someone drops off a cliff, grabs the node from under your nose and dashes off. But acting like you called dibs on the node is foolish, sure the other person was rather selfish and inconsiderate, but some people just are like that, ignore them and move on, there will be another node/chest somewhere for you.

Its just not worth getting worked up over.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love when dude streaks on chest i am heading to, get interrupted by mobs and then i loot that chest while he is dealing with mobs. Then it's cool to have already purple jewelry looted so you can whisper it back to that dude if he is unhappy about situation.
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply just remove this 'in combat' crap entirely, it just causing problems everywhere (pve and pvp both)
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even bother going for a node that has a monster sitting right on top of it. It's not worth the stress of worrying someone will take it before the monster is dead.
    I've been harvesting the nodes during the least-busy times of the day, then going back and killing the bosses during the busiest times, when there will be lots of people to help kill it. It works for me.
  • bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    The other day i ran into the imperfect room to a node spot and someone was there. I said out loud please let me know when your finished that i won't scavenge it from them. Well they took 2 more pulls then left told me they were done. Perfect.

I harvest the node once, then some other *** runs up and grabs it. I said out loud i was almost finished if he'd wait he could have it. He yelled back "NODE OVER HERE" and laughed when everyone swarmed it and i couldn't harvest.

This game is a roller coaster of emotions........
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vgabor wrote: »
    Simply just remove this 'in combat' crap entirely, it just causing problems everywhere (pve and pvp both)

It's an important mechanic. Otherwise the PC meta build would probably be Dressing Room rotations.

I'm not going to comment on giving zone chat garbage a platform or semblance of importance. Except to say, don't.
    signing off
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sort of stuff is why I'm just doing Shadow Cleft every day. I can't fight for nodes for the other stuff - too much lag, and I've also had way too much of this in the other games I played since early 2006. I don't need the aggro!
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fighting for nodes is much better than the alternative: Seeing nobody else in the zone.

I will take server traffic and interaction any day.

Get a cowards/darkstride set for farming and all your harvest worries are no more.
    Edited by ImmortalCX on November 20, 2018 10:58PM
  • nerfworthy
    nerfworthy
    ✭✭✭
    I take this approach:

If someone is obviously fighting a mob on top of a node, I will leave it alone as I think it is RUDE to run in and take it. It's not stealing, no, because it's first come first serve. But is it rude as hell? Yes, yes it is. So I won't do it.
    MagWarden main and a Dunmer enthusiast!
  • Frawr
    Frawr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never understood why they felt the need to lock anything while in combat.

why does ZOS care if I choose to die hitting a node or checking my mail while something hits me?
    Edited by Frawr on November 20, 2018 11:40PM
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it was a bad move to make double node drops and make the nodes necessary for quests. At least I Wrothgar when it’s double nodes, people can spread out to farm. Bad decision on their part....small zone crammed with people literally fighting over nodes for a quest, not just being grabby. Bad mix.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!