The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Here's a challenge for theorycrafters

Saphayla
Saphayla
✭✭✭
Make a build. Any class you want. Role has to be DD. Any race you want. Any skills and item sets you want. Only two requirements:

Has to be a Damage Dealer
No animation cancelling. You have to let the animations play out in their entirety. Even if the attack's considered instant, if it has a 0,5s firing animation, you've got to wait those 0,5s.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any class that doesn't rely on weaving, seen magsorcs pull decent numbers since they heavy attack.

MagDK's pull decent without ani cancelling.

Stam's light attacks do less dps than mags so they should also be alright.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • mastoeb
    mastoeb
    Whats the point of this thread?
    Another QQ thread about animation canceling?
  • Saphayla
    Saphayla
    ✭✭✭
    mastoeb wrote: »

Not sure what QQ stands for, but in a way yes, I'm bitching about animation cancelling.
    Or rather, instead of saying that it's bad, I want to see what experienced DDs can do without it

Also, hi mastoeb, dunno if you remember me
  • Sun7dance
    Sun7dance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

...no, just another thread about the confusion of animation canceling and weaving.
    Really, it would take you much less time to practice weaving instead of worrying about it all the time!
    PS5|EU
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost every DD build you see posted online can perform under these constraints, it'll just lose dps.

Oh, and you know how you want to block when sudden danger is coming your way? Guess what, your skill isn't done animating, that's not allowed!

Same thing with roll dodging~

Same thing with swapping bars~

Same thing with pressing a skill key before a heavy attack has finished its useless backswing animation...

So yea, if you want to drop your dps and let yourself die more often for RP, go for it? I guess? o_O
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Erraln wrote: »
    So yea, if you want to drop your dps and let yourself die more often for RP, go for it? I guess? o_O

It's not for RP, it's for control over how others play the game or enjoy it. That's the basis for most of the forum posts that either complain about a nerf, ask for a nerf, or even ones about buffs. By "showing" there is a significant difference between those that do and don't, they will probably start the usual rant about balance and how cancelling is against it. Oh, maybe they won't now that I've said this.
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I will not go back to the Stone Age. Bullsh*t thread.
    AC is not like using cheatcodes in gta, it is a skill you learn and do, even if you don't intend to. Want to fire skills and light attacks and swap your bars as fast as possible? whooops, you already cancelled an animation.
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play magplar sweeps and Beam are channeled and cant be animation canceled, Rest of the abilities have pretty short animations, If you dont wanna use sweeps as a spammable roll elemental weapon
    Edited by ATomiX96 on November 20, 2018 10:53AM
  • Saphayla
    Saphayla
    ✭✭✭
    AC is not like using cheatcodes in gta, it is a skill you learn and do
    The efficiency of your animation cancelling depends mostly on speed, right? In what other ways does the game check a player's skill besides seeing how fast they can smash a sequence of buttons?
    Edited by Saphayla on November 20, 2018 10:57AM
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Saphayla wrote: »
    The efficiency of your animation cancelling depends mostly on speed, right? In what other ways does the game check a player's skill besides seeing how fast they can smash a sequence of buttons?

By seeing how fast they can smash a sequence of buttons in a meaningful way, reacting to the fast-paced changes in combat situation and according to their own knowledge and prior experience. If you don't know when and/or not fast enough to bar swap after skill fired, then you probably don't know when and/or not fast enough to dodge or block that incoming bow proc or roll out of Ra Kotu's spinning attack.
    Edited by John_Falstaff on November 20, 2018 11:11AM
  • Praeficere
    Praeficere
    ✭✭✭✭
    Animation cancelling in ESO is pretty light compared to other games. Post a video of you taking up these requirements then maybe you'll get some interest in people wanting to beat you for ego.
    Though the shadow has moved not,
    A thousand miles I’ve passed –
    Ageless as the mountains but forgetting not the past.

Are you Resolute?
    PC EU Progression Guild
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When u activate a light attack with a staff, do u really wait until the projectile hits the target before activating the next attack?
    To not animationcancel is really hard in eso.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Animation cancelling - meaning doing heavy & light attacks in between skills, since those have separate cooldowns - is entirely optional, save maybe for Nightblade, where they're mandatory due to Grim Focus & Siphoning Strikes (different morphs for stamina & magicka). On other classes you can do the rotation without them and still achieve 30K+ DPS as long as you keep your DOTs up and have relatively good gear. Of course, sustain will suffer if you don't "animation cancel" at least one heavy attack per rotation so you'll have to probably gimp yourself a bit by replacing a few damage glyphs on jewelry with recovery or cost reduction ones or wear a sustain set instead of a pure DPS one.

But rather than not animation cancel at all you can simply press your LMB while casting skills and get off heavy attacks on the front bar. This is really easy with 2W on stamina character since the heavy attack animation is short (~0.9s AFAIK) and doesn't really make the rotation feel much slower (skill cooldown is ~1.1s). DK is particularly suited for this due to bonus from Molten Armaments.
    Edited by Asardes on November 20, 2018 12:03PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Aznox
    Aznox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make a build. Any class you want. Role has to be DD. Any race you want. Any skills and item sets you want. Only two requirements:

Has to be a Damage Dealer
    No animation cancelling. You have to let the animations play out in their entirety. Even if the attack's considered instant, if it has a 0,5s firing animation, you've got to wait those 0,5s.

Werewolf, rotation is :
    0- Light Attack
    1- Go to 0

But do not click too fast or your light attack will cancel a part of the animation from the previous light attack.

So the actual rotation would be :
    0- Light Attack
    1- wait one second
    2- Go to 0

Aznox
    PC EU
    Khajiit Orc Bosmer Stamina Sorcerer and Werewolf Stage 3 Vampire
    I live in Battlegrounds
    Theorycrafting enthusiast
    Official Cheese Lord
    CP1500+ club
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭

Wrong, it depends on timing.
    When you waeve too fast, light attacks won't come through, if you barswap too fast, the skills will not be casted.
    Please tell me a better way to "check a player's skill" than aiming for their ability to multi task (playing rotation/combos while reacting to/predicting mechanics/enviroment for both PvE and PvP). And please don't start with puzzle games...
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is pretty hard to not animation cancel in this game. You don't even have to try. I mean if you want to wait a second after every skill go ahead, but if you have ever blocked, dodged rolled, bar swapped or clicked a skill before a light attack was fully completed you have animation cancelled. Trying to not animation cancel would feel pretty slow. I've seen some heavy attack builds from Masel in the past that don't need animation cancelling much, but I don't know if he has updated them.
    PC/EU DC
  • Noldornir
    Noldornir
    ✭✭✭

Wrong, it depends on timing.
    When you waeve too fast, light attacks won't come through, if you barswap too fast, the skills will not be casted.
    Please tell me a better way to "check a player's skill" than aiming for their ability to multi task (playing rotation/combos while reacting to/predicting mechanics/enviroment for both PvE and PvP). And please don't start with puzzle games...

Yeah, this is correct:

too slow= you loose DPS for doing nothing for a little portion of time
    too fast= you skip light attack, you loose more DPS this way than in the former instance.

as fast as you can get WITHOUT skipping anything= your goal

I know many player who "smash a sequence of buttons as fast as they can" and they DPS (810 CP) is usually around 16-25k which is pretty low given right CP/gear

• Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Play werewolf.
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    play templar and be happy with ~20-25k dps . Upside is that you only have to press 2-3 buttons Sweeps, shards, elemental blockade.
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Not sure what QQ stands for, but in a way yes, I'm bitching about animation cancelling.
    Or rather, instead of saying that it's bad, I want to see what experienced DDs can do without it

Also, hi mastoeb, dunno if you remember me
    Half as much DPS, at least with the restrictions you're indicating.

Waiting for each animation to come to full completion, including the return-to-neutral of a light attack is going eat precious global cooldowns.

As much as you may complain about AC, you probably do it to some level without even realizing.

Requesting this test promotes another ill informed view of what AC is and isn't, as well as what it can and, more importantly, cannot do.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gotta ask @Saphayla , why are you forgoing animation canceling?
  • BooPerScOOper
    BooPerScOOper
    ✭✭✭
    seems to be a L2P issue
  • Weps
    Weps
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did I miss the moment that AC became a skill in the game?
    I don't know, it is so difficult to cancel an heavy attack into another skill?
    Is this really up to debate still?

PS4 EU - CP 1000+ - EP Loyal

My EU Preciouses
    Aemon Dk | Imperial Dragonknight Tank
    Guari Gaburiefu | PvP Stamplar - Soon PvE tank
    Nadija Zenobia | 45k+ PvE Dk - PvP Leaper
    Naga del Serpente | High Elf Magicka Sorc PVE DPS - Soon tb 2nd crafter
    Azor Ahai V | Dunmer Magicka DK for PVP and Pve
    Jabba D'Cat | Khajiit Stamplar
    Gennarino Auditore | 7k Weapon damage Bosmer Stamblade / Ganking experimental build
    Rina Inbasu | Dunmer Magblade, my bomblade
    Zelgadis Greywords | High Elf Magplar
    Nachael Jordan | Redguard Stamsorc DPS
    Orghuz Diul | StamWar DPS
    This-Will-Buff-If | Argonian Warden Trial Off tank
    Amelia Tesla Sallilune | Breton Magden PvP DD / PvE healer
    Sap-My-Shield | PvP Nooblade, now dead PvE Tank
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that this is indeed a very good challenge... To not make animation canceling, it is so hard not to do it xD Useful? No. Fun? Neither. Challenging? Definitely.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone in this game at sone level animation cancels, even tanks. Be it bar swap cancel, block cancel or weaving.

This is not a bad thing. The bad thing is some classes have it much easier than others. NB animations are generally the easiest to cancel which is where most of the PvP QQ's come from. Sone classes have animations whih are blocky, and that's the only thing that needs fixing.
    Dark Flare is the Beginning, Radiant is the End. Hail the Light Bringers!
  • Saphayla
    Saphayla
    ✭✭✭
    which is where most of the PvP QQ's come from
    This is the second time this term has appeared in this thread. What does QQ stand for?
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the second time this term has appeared in this thread. What does QQ stand for?

QQing can stand for crying/loudly complaining in a kind of pathetic way.
    Edited by Elwendryll on November 21, 2018 11:08AM
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dictionary for weird language things:
    https://urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=QQ