The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

So I just had an epiphany about tanking(or the lack of it)

• Gulnagel
    Gulnagel
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Gulnagel , long story short; yes, it's how you describe. People did point out, and rightly so, that (I'm not saying it's the only or even best state of things, but it's how it is) in solo overland, there are no roles. Role - tank, healer, dd - exist within a group context, and overland, you're just a character without defined role, and it's up to you how you solve solo overland tasks and kill overland mobs. Yes, killing mobs takes some damage, but you know, it's game about fighting bad things, and outside of group, there's nobody else to fight them but your own self. It's up to you if you bash them to death, heal them until they pop, or smack them with something sharp and heavy. Because outside, nobody is tank, nobody is dd, and nobody is healer, they're one man (or woman) orchestra. Overland is designed in such a way that it doesn't need 50k DPS to be enjoyable.

Mind, no build can afford same set of gear for everything. I'm not complaining that I have to carry 'sustain & survival' gear for arenas or general exploration, while for a dungeon I'll put on gear that makes me much closer to a glass cannon. I'm not complaining that I have to swap gear to bump health higher for vMA because inside arena, I'm not a damage dealer (which implies I also need healer and tank to complement me), I have to be a self-sufficient thing, a bit of everything.

For a game that has 3 roles and gear that are optimised for those 3 roles, it should be obvious that all 3 roles somehow should manage overland content in a fun way.

As it stands now damage dealers have the best experience, least amount of effort to go between group and solo play.

Overland is designed in a way that if you have a 50k DD and jump on your tank an try to quest you are in for a rude awakening. And that really is all there is to it, being a support role in a game that screams for more healer and tanks is so utterly boring and unrewarding, you basicly make everything harder or should I say more complicated for yourself by a mile.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An idea: Just add a npc companion to each zone (that disappears, when you enter a city/dungeon(trial ofc) who helps you during combat and deals more dmg the higher your resistances are (and maybe negative correlation to your weapon/spellpower, idk). Some skills are aready recognized as healing/tank/dd specific skills, they could also take that into account (if you have tank/healer specific skills slotted, the companion deals more dmg)

I like the concept here. Basically I reject the idea of swapping gear around. If I want to play a dps I have a dps. If I want to play my tank I want to tank with him. Ideally, he would be able to tank his way through overland content. A tank support NPC could have potential here (I hold 'em, you kill 'em). Though my healer can manage solo content better than my tank, she would also enjoy a healer support NPC (I heal you faster than foes can hurt you) so she could stay more in the healer/support mode while questing.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Gulnagel , thing is, game doesn't have roles. Dungeons and trials do. In game, at the very most, there are advisor and some skill hints that they'd be useful for some role, but that's about it; there's no word 'tank' or 'healer' on sets. People use them creatively, and I'm not even mentioning how things blend in PvP when heavy armor tanky bleed build wearing proc sets wrecks havoc among glass cannons.

And actually no, in dungeon-and-trial DD gear, I have less than fun overland experience. Relequen is single target and takes build-up time, it hardly contributes a lot when fighting squishy overland mobs. Same with my front bar set, it's just not building its stacks because after rending slashes and claw, things lie dead and I never got to five stacks. So basically, best experience is when I actually nerf my damage and put on VO and Briarheart, and swap to regen food. Nowhere near the damage I can possibly do in my other setup, but the level of overland comfort is beyond compare. So yes, as someone who performs as DD in dungeons/trials, I do carry adventuring set of gear with me anyway, it's less damage and more comfort overland. We're in same position.

Yes, as someone who in dungeons performs the role of tank, you're capable of less damage, potentially, but it's overland. Is it a fundamental difference if mobs die from two or three hits? And for healers it's even easier since their healing relies on same stats as damage - they put on damage sets, and can easily do very more damage than you'll typically see from many dedicated damage dealers you'll get in pug groups.
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    An idea: Just add a npc companion to each zone (that disappears, when you enter a city/dungeon(trial ofc) who helps you during combat and deals more dmg the higher your resistances are (and maybe negative correlation to your weapon/spellpower, idk). Some skills are aready recognized as healing/tank/dd specific skills, they could also take that into account (if you have tank/healer specific skills slotted, the companion deals more dmg)

I like the concept here. Basically I reject the idea of swapping gear around. If I want to play a dps I have a dps. If I want to play my tank I want to tank with him. Ideally, he would be able to tank his way through overland content. A tank support NPC could have potential here (I hold 'em, you kill 'em). Though my healer can manage solo content better than my tank, she would also enjoy a healer support NPC (I heal you faster than foes can hurt you) so she could stay more in the healer/support mode while questing.

So, in conclusion:

- you are a healer --> companion deals dmg and is less tanky
    - you are a tank --> companion deals dmg and is less tanky
    - you are a DD --> companion deals less dmg, (and maybe heals you?)

Also, the companion should be invisible to any other players to increase server performance, can maybe die (?)and be resurrected by you, can be toggled on/off and despawns in dungeons/trials/all pvp content/duels/etc.
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've said it before, over and over, and I'll say it again. There are too few tanks because it's, for the majority, boring. I've spoken to dozens of people that tanked in the past and the overwhelming reason they binned their tank is because it's boring - most common comment is "I got bored just having to go around poking things".

I'll get flamed again for saying it, but have an aoe taunt and you free up tanks to do more thus making it more enjoyable.

The dlc vet dungeons and vet trials are fun as they are for a tank, but that's a small % of the group content.

The sets have a psychological effect too - we're forced to use sets that aren't necessarily the best for us but really good for everyone else. Makes the tank not feel like it's an important role but there to help the others; a side part. E.g. ebon armoury set... It's not got the best stats for a tank per say but you have to have it. Or Alkosh... It's still a medium armour set and gives you the slayer buff which is useless for a tank.

I know people, including myself, that have had a healer since day one and continue to actively and regularly heal. But I don't know anyone that's had a tank since then and continues to regularly tank - I only do the pledges for transmute crystals. There is a good reason for that... It's boring and unrewarding.

This won't get addressed because as soon as tanking is mentioned in a thread, the very few that do enjoy running around poking enemies come in and, understandably, defend it.

Interesting point of view
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tanks in this game can’t have dps (i.e. health scaling damage) otherwise they will become OP especially in PVP where tanky melee already rule the day.

And you are bored as tank? Select dozen of vet dlcs in group finder and press “join”, you’ll never be bored :D
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There is no serious problem swapping between healing and damage dealing. Attribute points go into magicka either way. The same champion point allocation can get you within 10% of perfect DPS and 10% of perfect HPS alike. Many of the same sets are good for both roles. Etc.

Many tank builds, however, do call for piling attribute points into health. That's a bigger hit to damage. Also, a tank makes the same small damage sacrifices in blue champion points that a healer does.

Agreed, but how much damage do we really need for overworld? Sure, my tank main isn't going to farm mobs as efficiently as a dedicated DD, but how much damage does one need to rush through questline combat?

I would be more annoyed though if I was on console and didn't have addons than can change my gear and skills with a single keypress plus a single mouse click.

On the other hand, how many times have you seen people looking to form a 4 DPS group for speed runs? I've seen it quite a bit. There is major value to be had from being DPS. People might disagree and mention long queue times for DDs, but then go to Craglorn and see what PUG trials groups are looking for. Almost always DPS since 8 or 9 of 12 people in their group will be DPS. Even in guild groups, I typically need another tank to switch to a DD character to get in. Ultimately, I just don't let this stuff bother me and if I don't want to swap gear, I end up running past mobs.
  • onemoredragon
    onemoredragon
    ✭✭✭
    Gulnagel wrote: »

What really gets to me is the fact that not only are tanks and healers in demand - especially tanks, but when you choose to go the "support route" you automatically say: I've just taken away the enjoyment of doing overland solo content and questing, I now do damage like a wet noodle and the only meaningfully existence I have is to be of use to spoiled glass-cannons in dungeons and trials and if I'm lucky I might get a damage dealer that do more than just lightattack

When I hear overland content, I assume people mean questing, completing stories, exploring the zones, clearing delves. And questing in particular is about listening to dialogues, story, RP and such. So how does your role choice limits you in doing that?

And then these threads appear, people complaining about the overland adds not dying fast enough because tanks have no damage. Okay... suggestions have already been given on how to solve that, but seriously, is killing overland adds fast something that gives people enjoyment these days? And if you do like to kill things fast, why choosing a support role to play and then saying that it's boring?

I really don't think that it's the boring that makes fewer people play tanks, or healers. They get to play their roles in a group content, and get praised for doing a good job in that much harder content, just like damage dealers.
    malicia wrote: »
    I think what puts many people off tanking is not that it is boring but how exposed it is. Mess up as a DD and you get ressed. Mess up as a tank and you often wipe the group.

There's a certain anomity in the DD stack that a tank can never have.

Both roles are fun and interesting, but a tank is permanently in the spotlight.

^ Completely agree with this post right here, I wish more people realized that and accepted that there's also not much you can do about it. You might have to go through a lot of trial and error, while being exposed and responsible for your group's success, and this is something that the tank role in ESO encompasses.
    PC EU @OneMoreDragon

Rakshasi Raijina, khajiit sorceror, adventurer and crafter
    Keel-Neesha, argonian dragonknight tank
    Asharlys, orc templar tank
    Wanheda Praimfaya, nord necromancer tank
    Alessia Whitegold, redguard templar 2h/bow DD
    Mitsuro Naztharune, khajiit dragonknight dw/bow DD
    Viannereth, bosmer warden bow/bow DD
    Moraelyn of Ra'athim, dunmer necromancer magicka DD

So long as the dragonfires shall burn, to you, and to all generations, I swear that my Hearts blood shall hold fast the Gates of Oblivion.
  • Stroggnonimus
    Stroggnonimus
    ✭✭✭
    The people who complain that tanking is boring sound the same as if saying "racing is boring, only thing drivers do is turn the wheel". Yeah youre not wrong, poking things is something you do a lot, but ultimately thats small part. As some others pointed out its all about battlefield control and simply teamwork. Tank is the foundation that you can build other things on. If your tank is doing bs or dead then bye bye dps as well. In any harder content whole run relies on tanks, insane DPS cannot carry that far, if DD dies they get rezzed, if tank dies you wipe. You have so much things going on at the same time and you have to aware of whole fight as tank, thats why they often lead raids. It is huge responsibility but the payoff of great tank is also immense. You can do with way less dps in group if tank can handle the situation well. And in easy content you can always go "hybrid", you always have Alkosh, PA on hand if you a serious tank. Smack those two on, get a bow back bar, some dots, and voila. You get both worlds.

The problem rather is that the "skill level" where you can enjoy what youre doing and not running poking around like idiot, is quite high. You have to know where to stand, when to stand, how to deal with certain bosses etc. Thats why I think there are very little "mid-level" tanks in ESO. It's either "starters" that just poke and block and think theyre done thus its boring, or tanks who went past that and now can find enjoyment in perfect stack of mobs, or angling the boss in the very heat of the moment to prevent death of DDs.

Of course PUGs who think tanking = poking around dont appreciate the role thus it is bit demotivating. But any regular group (no matter trial or dungeons) will appreciate and value the role as your dps/healing/etc. will go to *** if your tank is a sack of potatoes with a shield.
    Whoever said that argonians aren't sexy, is obviously not a sexy argonian.

OG Argonian tank

BLOOD FOR THE PACT !

• MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So topic author is not bored to rotate same 10 buttons for hours and days, but he is bothered to press 20-30 buttons to change gear and few skills once per day?
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    This won't get addressed because as soon as tanking is mentioned in a thread, the very few that do understand that running around poking enemies is not how you tank in ESO come in and, understandably, defend it.

Fixed that for you.

Okay so according to you, taunting is not tanki...... Ah forget it. You single taunt "battlefield control" tank fan boys!

According to me, taunting every single trash mob is not how you tank in ESO.

Our DDs are not like WoW DDs who will flop over if an add looks in their direction. They have adequate survivability and self-healing tools.

In your average add pack there are 2-3 targets that have to be taunted. Everything else can be left without a hard taunt. Just stack them in a neat pile for a quick burn. They can tickle DDs all they want, ESO's combat is based on overhealing anyway.
  • Gulnagel
    Gulnagel
    ✭✭✭✭
    The sad truth is that the group's that really need tank and healers the more average player that doesent care about min-maxing or at least pull 30k+ dps are the ones that suffers the most.

Experienced players can steamroll vetDLC dungeons 4 dps. Maybe take a tank to make it more comfortable, but you don't need a tank to buff you, just a tank that holds target still and survive while the 150 k combined deeps take down a boss in seconds, skipping mechanics and what not.

The clever tanks don't PUG they log on and roll with their friends who they got to know after years playing.

On the other hand the new tanks or tanks in the making finds it boring playing dungeons with lightattack spamming DD's, like really - here I am playing the role no one wants to do and doing it good and you can't even make an effort to at least pull 15k dps in dungeons? Well let me just take 2 hours in this dungeon and after do sime questing after i take 10 min swapping gear and skills around. He'll no, I'll roll a Damage dealer myself = story of ESO

Tanks in this game aren't naturally born they are forced, you play with your guild and someone needs a tank you feel like a little break and dust of you DK or Warden do pledges and then put it back on the shelf.
    Edited by Gulnagel on November 19, 2018 3:24PM
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I don't feel that tanking is boring. Keeping up buffs, debuffs, controlling the battlefield - if I'm tired and low on focus I rather join the DD stack. I can cause less problems there than as tank.

I think what puts many people off tanking is not that it is boring but how exposed it is. Mess up as a DD and you get ressed. Mess up as a tank and you often wipe the group.

There's a certain anomity in the DD stack that a tank can never have.

Both roles are fun and interesting, but a tank is permanently in the spotlight.

Yeah, I can’t really say I’m a day one tank bc I came into this game at day one with the “Skyrim online” mentality (although I did level with snb on my main...). But within the first few months when I got into end game, I chose to make a tank because I liked the sound of it more than healer but didn’t feel up to competing on the DPS measuring stick. I pretty quickly realized the truth of the post above (especially in the earlier days when everybody was learning to play) that the tank messing up was often very obvious and very bad. I decided to stick with it all the same because I came to enjoy the role, but I understand the concern. Most people I talk to who don’t tank cite the performance exposure as the reason they haven’t created one yet or don’t use it often, not boredom or lack of appreciation or anything.

Part of the supposed issue with overland questing comes from build prejudices, although I don’t have a good solution for this offhand. But it seems like the average player who we’re concerned wouldn’t think to carry around extra sets or swap skills hears “tank” and creates a brick wall that’s excessive for the vast majority of situations. Speaking from experience, you can create a tank build that can tank pretty much everything you’d expect the average player to be able to complete and still breeze through overland mobs with it.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Build-swapping answers the endgame situation, but does nothing for the developing character. You don't instantly have the extra skills to swap, or the equipment, you have to go get them. Most of that going and getting has to be done with a solo build, rather than a group one, so you foster the skills needed for doing that.

I like the complementary companion idea, but I worry that it might go too far the other way, and the resulting character would be too inflexible.
  • Gulnagel
    Gulnagel
    ✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    Build-swapping answers the endgame situation, but does nothing for the developing character. You don't instantly have the extra skills to swap, or the equipment, you have to go get them. Most of that going and getting has to be done with a solo build, rather than a group one, so you foster the skills needed for doing that.

I like the complementary companion idea, but I worry that it might go too far the other way, and the resulting character would be too inflexible.

Exactly, never in my MMO experience have support roles been so badly designed around the content if the game, especially from the get go.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My tank is also my crafter. He's max crafting in every discipline with skill points in every one. There are enough skill points in the game for that and a few skill lines too. He's got heavy and medium armor maxed, sword and board, bow and 2H maxed.

For overland content, I switch his armor and weapons to dps sets. I don't touch CP or attributes. Yea it's slower killing stuff than my pure DPS characters but he has no problem doing any overland content and sometimes his survivablity actually helps in the few instances where soloing something is a bit tougher on a squishy such as the Elinhir daily quest and some of the Craglorn delves.

You can't have it all in any build. You must make choices. Working as intended.
    Edited by Katahdin on November 19, 2018 3:53PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The topic author, for some reason, insists on staying a tank in solo overland content - even when there's nobody to tank for, even despite the fact that the very role of tank implies a group.

And @ghastley , when have you last seen a sub-50 tank who's been leveling up as pure tank? There's usually no defined build at that point, it's usually a motley mix of tanking and damage gear (and it works for people in overland just fine). I see new low level people tanking normal dungeons in almost random sets, some sword and shield on the front, dual wield back, a mix that suits both normal dungeons and overland. They still learn what skills they need, so they do some tanking and some damage, and it works for them. And if you mean experienced high CP people leveling up a tank, then they probably don't level one as actual tank to begin with.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea you never level a tank as a tank
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There's like a million different reasons people don't tank.

Leveling as a Tank is tedious.
    Playstyles are constantly nerfed out of existence.
    The need for extra gear and skills to constantly switch between solo and group content (better with mods but on console its a chore)
    Poor DPS in group finder makes Tanking a chore.

It's just a lot to deal with for something so thankless and unrewarding
    Argonian forever
  • Gulnagel
    Gulnagel
    ✭✭✭✭
    The topic author, for some reason, insists on staying a tank in solo overland content - even when there's nobody to tank for, even despite the fact that the very role of tank implies a group.

And @ghastley , when have you last seen a sub-50 tank who's been leveling up as pure tank? There's usually no defined build at that point, it's usually a motley mix of tanking and damage gear (and it works for people in overland just fine). I see new low level people tanking normal dungeons in almost random sets, some sword and shield on the front, dual wield back, a mix that suits both normal dungeons and overland. They still learn what skills they need, so they do some tanking and some damage, and it works for them. And if you mean experienced high CP people leveling up a tank, then they probably don't level one as actual tank to begin with.

Well the roles are group oriented you are correct but when you choose the tank role for group content you've just made the game less fun soloing, there really is nothing more to it. Since the attribute points, CP points all will be oriented towards support. Your set you can change but tuning with 20k stam and magica gets you by, but it isn't fun. Every tank in this tread have stated;

1. I only log on my tank for groups.
    2. I switch out gear and skills but u have a add-on without it it would be bad.
    3. Tanking is generally boring in ESO.

The que times in groupfinder for a tank vs dps are hillarious, 1 second it can take my tank for a specific dungeon(not random) and up to an hour for my dps for a specific dungeon.

The increase in percentage is huge. If you go from 1 second to 3600 seconds(1 hour) you get an increasment in time with 359900% and I'm the only one seeing a problem here?

Edited: My math was off.
    Edited by Gulnagel on November 19, 2018 4:36PM
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well the roles are group oriented you are correct but when you choose the tank role for group content you've just made the game less fun soloing, there really is nothing more to it. Since the attribute points, CP points all will be oriented towards support. Your set you can change but tuning with 20k stam and magica gets you by, but it isn't fun. Every tank in this tread have stated;

Apologies if my post above wasn’t clear, but I disagree/don’t adhere to any of those three points, so they’re not unanimous opinions.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few quests where your task is to "protect me while I do this", but those actually require you to kill off a number of waves of enemies, instead of taunting them and grouping them for a specific amount of time, the way a tank would. Or applying healing to the quest-giver, as a healer would. The solo quests are all set up so that a DPS character has the easiest time doing them. That doesn't have to be the case.

Now, you wouldn't want that kind of quest on the required line, but side-quests that need a specialised build would go along way to restoring balance.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to mention that all chars get raised as DDs.

Raising a tank as tank from the start is so much harder. Those who try it will regret it, those who go for DD in the first place have little intent to change anything.

This depends.

New players will absolutely start as DDs or else regret it.

However, for an experienced player, leveling as a tank or healer through random normal dungeons after level 10 is one of the easier ways to do it. I can't stand the dolmen grind, but I enjoy tanking or healing for PUGs. And as long as I have relatively up to level weapons, I can pick up the gear from the dungeons and do okay.
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...Every tank in this tread have stated;

That's quite an exaggeration there. There were a fair number of people claiming that tanking is boring, and a fair number who disagreed.

Another stumbling block in Eso to tanking may be the learning curve - the large divide between normal and vet. I wiped my group so many times while learning to tank vZmaja downstairs that I eventually took a healer with me. People are happy to learn mechanics in the DD pack, because they don't feel like they're gimping the group if they miss something. For the tank who delays progression by another week - it is very frustrating to know that your weak link is unfortunately a very vital link.
    PC, EU
    Not elite, not the best. Just enjoying ESO.
    Not the worst either. "Casual" != "totally ignorant"
    @taciti
  • PouletRico
    PouletRico
    ✭✭✭
    Tanking is boring if you're only willing to do the very minimum you need, but it's become challenging when you try to get challenged.

I started doing end-game content a while ago and I enjoy it, I cleared vBF for the first time this week-end, it was fun to tank.
    Edited by PouletRico on November 19, 2018 4:42PM
    @PouletRico - EU PC Megaserver
    PouletRico - TankDK - EP
    Experimental Kamikaze - StamDK - AD

I'm doing my best, but I'm not a native speaker
  • Gulnagel
    Gulnagel
    ✭✭✭✭

That's quite an exaggeration there. There were a fair number of people claiming that tanking is boring, and a fair number who disagreed.

Yes I may have went a bit overboard but the lack of tanks speaks a clear language.

1 hour = 3600 seconds. That's what my dps wait sometimes (to get paired with a fake tank but another story)

1 second = what my tank waits usually "wait".

When it takes 359900% longer time for a dps to que for a dungeon than a tank. Then clearly something isn't fun about the role.
    Edited by Gulnagel on November 19, 2018 4:44PM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The clever tanks don't PUG they log on and roll with their friends who they got to know after years playing.

Tanks in this game aren't naturally born they are forced, you play with your guild and someone needs a tank you feel like a little break and dust of you DK or Warden do pledges and then put it back on the shelf.
    You are completely wrong. From my experience it's most boring and chore experience to be tank in trial with discord etc. I do it only when I need to farm some set and you will never lure me in trial as tank if I don't have particular reason to be there. There you are really just piece of meat and buff-bot, you do absolutely the same every time. My dps chars are not up-to-snuff yet, but when i'll be able to pull 40k dps you will never see me in trial as tank again.

Dungeon grind or achievement run with guildies are ok, but again there are you do something on purpose - it's result, not process you are interested in.

Fun runs with friends - yeah, they are fun, but it's not class dependent.

And PUGs are just the opposite - your random event, where you may receive 1 weak dps, or weak heal, or no heal at all, and that's where challenge is, that's where your knowledge of mechanics and resource management might save the day. And if you happen to get good group with 2 normal dps and real heal, then good surprise gives more pleasure then simply good itself. And also PUGs carry the most valuable thing in being tank - immediate queue. So why to be a tank and don't run PUGs?

• Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The que times in groupfinder for a tank vs dps are hillarious, 2 second it takes my tank for a specific dungeon(not random) and up to an hour for my dps for a specific dungeon.

It take about 89000% yes you read that right 89000% longer que time for a dps than a tank, and I'm the only one seeing a problem here?

There's probably a better way to quantify time than %, but, if you're suggesting something along the lines of a dual spec setting, then I agree. It would in some ways make life easier.

I sort of agree with @John_Falstaff, new players wouldnt necessarily be concerned with the meta and will likely have whatever mix they could find. Seasoned players dont need to concern themselves with it, they have options. People like myself, who has the skill points in the appropriate lines to tank and do not want to level another character would benefit from a solution like that, but I'm not sure that we exist in sufficient numbers to justify it.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jypcy wrote: »

Apologies if my post above wasn’t clear, but I disagree/don’t adhere to any of those three points, so they’re not unanimous opinions.

Shhh, you are breaking his bubble. It is much easier to pretend that everyone who disagrees with you doesn't exist with "every tank"-phrases than make an actual argument.
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes I may have went a bit overboard but the lack of tanks speaks a clear language.

1 hour = 3600 seconds. That's what my dps wait sometimes (to get paired with a fake tank but another story)

1 second = what my tank waits usually "wait".

When it takes 359900% longer time for a dps to que for a dungeon than a tank. Then clearly something isn't fun about the role.

How to solve that problem:

a.) Queue as tank/healer on your DD
    b.) Get some friends/guild members to run with
    c.) Cry about your problem
    Edited by Protossyder on November 19, 2018 4:47PM
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU