Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

The Phalanx- Magplar PvP Build [Murkmire]

• grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried this out and I like it alot. I switched to Spinners Staff and jewels so front bar only so I could run another two piece back bar.
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Datolite wrote: »
    Cool. Looking forward to trying this out in BGs with some adjustments.

This build can work in BGs, but it’s specifically designed for solo and small scale in Cyrodiil. The one critical suggestion I’d make for BGs is to slot Radiant as that is another channel and just essential to Magplar BG gameplay.
    grannas211 wrote: »
    I tried this out and I like it alot. I switched to Spinners Staff and jewels so front bar only so I could run another two piece back bar.

Awesome! Glad you like it. And yeah, that is the ideal way to run this particular setup, with either willpower or a resistance sword and board. The only reason I published this initial template was because I wanted to plug and play various sets with Cyrodiil’s Light as the core. Turns out, Spinner’s is hard to top. However, next patch the Auroran set looks very promising, as it provides a respectable amount of pen along with a pretty brutal proc which syncs up perfectly with the Magplar’s damage profile.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, radiant for sure is going on my bar. And I actually decided to wait for the next patch because of that Auroran set. It's like it was created with charge or jesus beam in mind (procs off single target not aoe). You can basically control when it (and inevitably skoria) procs. Someone up there is really raining love on us magplars.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, radiant for sure is going on my bar. And I actually decided to wait for the next patch because of that Auroran set. It's like it was created with charge or jesus beam in mind (procs off single target not aoe). You can basically control when it (and inevitably skoria) procs. Someone up there is really raining love on us magplars.

After all of that beaming in the name of Jesus, the Lord hath heard our prayers.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we confirm that this sets magic condition applies to puncturing sweeps if you get hard CCed while sweeping?

Or any other channel that you get hard CCed as opposed to "interupted" with a bash or interrupt ability.

Arya I'm impressed by your build here. It's one of the most well thought out synergized builds I've seen in awhile.

I have been using deep thoughts for a long while on my dark flare glass canon build (mainly for BGs). It's insane in BGs being able to have absolutely ridiculous stamina and magica sustain through deep thoughts. But it's a range build, so I always assumed it was best at range. Being able to channel deep thoughts without too much fear of interrupt. After watching your build video and gameplay I saw how it worked for you. So I rebuilt my sweeping magplar with deep thoughts in mind. I am able to sustain 1100 mag regen on it. I've built it different though. I run pariah and overwhelming surge. I always just kinda shrugged off the idea of cyros light due to the condition you have to be channeling. While pariah is always on so to speak.

But I went and got all the cyros light gear, I think the magic return is going to be better. I am also a nord, so I sacrifice a ton of max magic, and am comfortable with witchmothers and tri stat as opposed to max mag. Ultimately I think it's going to be a bit more damage with similar or slightly less passive mitigation while fighting, so a fair tradeoff.

Last thing here, consider running overwhelming surge instead of spinner. (Next patch aurorans thunder!) Also check out grothdar. The 6 tics of damage give much more damage than skoria over 5 seconds. Ridiculous pressure if ur target can't escape the AoE or thinks they can tank it. More uptime on burning, more uptime on minor vulnerability (from OWS). Only issue NOW is that OWS is single target, while Aurarans will be AoE. So...give and take.

Awesome build though, going to be trying it out and feeling for the difference between pariah and CL.

Afterthought: you can drop tri stat pots for spell power pots to give yourself an open offensive ability. I use crit and spell power for max uptime on crit on back bar. I also use dark flare as my other skill. The burst while melee with flare into crescent is phenomenal.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grothdarr might be good with lightning staff aoe buff. As long as that applies to proc sets. At that point you would def need Jesus Beam though, since without it the skoria procs are the closest thing you have to an execute.
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Baconlad wrote: »
    Can we confirm that this sets magic condition applies to puncturing sweeps if you get hard CCed while sweeping?

Or any other channel that you get hard CCed as opposed to "interupted" with a bash or interrupt ability.

Arya I'm impressed by your build here. It's one of the most well thought out synergized builds I've seen in awhile.

I have been using deep thoughts for a long while on my dark flare glass canon build (mainly for BGs). It's insane in BGs being able to have absolutely ridiculous stamina and magica sustain through deep thoughts. But it's a range build, so I always assumed it was best at range. Being able to channel deep thoughts without too much fear of interrupt. After watching your build video and gameplay I saw how it worked for you. So I rebuilt my sweeping magplar with deep thoughts in mind. I am able to sustain 1100 mag regen on it. I've built it different though. I run pariah and overwhelming surge. I always just kinda shrugged off the idea of cyros light due to the condition you have to be channeling. While pariah is always on so to speak.

But I went and got all the cyros light gear, I think the magic return is going to be better. I am also a nord, so I sacrifice a ton of max magic, and am comfortable with witchmothers and tri stat as opposed to max mag. Ultimately I think it's going to be a bit more damage with similar or slightly less passive mitigation while fighting, so a fair tradeoff.

Last thing here, consider running overwhelming surge instead of spinner. (Next patch aurorans thunder!) Also check out grothdar. The 6 tics of damage give much more damage than skoria over 5 seconds. Ridiculous pressure if ur target can't escape the AoE or thinks they can tank it. More uptime on burning, more uptime on minor vulnerability (from OWS). Only issue NOW is that OWS is single target, while Aurarans will be AoE. So...give and take.

Awesome build though, going to be trying it out and feeling for the difference between pariah and CL.

Afterthought: you can drop tri stat pots for spell power pots to give yourself an open offensive ability. I use crit and spell power for max uptime on crit on back bar. I also use dark flare as my other skill. The burst while melee with flare into crescent is phenomenal.

Thanks man. The playstyle is my favorite on Magplar. Very engaging and powerful, hope it serves you well.
    Grothdarr might be good with lightning staff aoe buff. As long as that applies to proc sets. At that point you would def need Jesus Beam though, since without it the skoria procs are the closest thing you have to an execute.

I really don’t feel like radiant is necessary outside BGs if you can maintain pressure and control, there’s 2-3 skills I’d slot before it. But definitely a powerful ability and it comes down to preference.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Shepsie89
    Shepsie89
    Soul Shriven
    I love magplar but don't have the Psijiic Order or the valkyn skoria set. Is there anything I could replace these with?Really like the look of this build.
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Shepsie89 wrote: »
    I love magplar but don't have the Psijiic Order or the valkyn skoria set. Is there anything I could replace these with?Really like the look of this build.

Thanks! Meditate is essential to this spec and there’s really no way around that. There is more flexibility when it comes to undaunted sets however. I really enjoy Skoria for the pressure and burst it brings, as well as the flashy animation. But a few other sets are competitive in that slot, namely Bloodspawn and Pirate Skeleton. Other sets that can be viable are Shadowrend, Malubeth, Engine Guardian and Balorgh.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grothdar should remain a top contender. especially for outnumbered gameplay when ur enemies like to stack in stupid.

grothdar and the new auroran set should be AMAZING synergy. possibly with the new buffed solar barrage added into the mix. realy strong AOE potential there.
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can swap spinner's out for shacklebreaker for some pretty good results you lose some penetration but don't need meditate for sustain. I just stack spell damage glyphs on jewls and run the rest of the build mostly the same minus meditate.
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can swap spinner to blight throat to get better heals. If you get agry to dodgerollers switch something to get radiant opression and purifying light. Unstable core morph too. Bye bye stupid mechanism perma dodgeroller when in low health.
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    grothdar should remain a top contender. especially for outnumbered gameplay when ur enemies like to stack in stupid.

grothdar and the new auroran set should be AMAZING synergy. possibly with the new buffed solar barrage added into the mix. realy strong AOE potential there.

Good call, that should also be up there as a potential substitute to Skoria.

You can swap spinner's out for shacklebreaker for some pretty good results you lose some penetration but don't need meditate for sustain. I just stack spell damage glyphs on jewls and run the rest of the build mostly the same minus meditate.

Nice thinking man!
    Stibbons wrote: »
    You can swap spinner to blight throat to get better heals. If you get agry to dodgerollers switch something to get radiant opression and purifying light. Unstable core morph too. Bye bye stupid mechanism perma dodgeroller when in low health.
    Tell us how you really feel about dodge rollers :p

But yeah these are good tactics against the mechanic. Radiant in particular is very powerful vs people trying to roll to recover. Personally, I feel like Jabs gets the job done well enough. It all comes down to preference though and your suggestions can work quite well.
    Edited by CyrusArya on February 15, 2019 2:00PM
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running this on my imperial atm. Anything specific you would change if running imperial, and what's your thoughts about the race for next update?
    Edited by Qbiken on February 15, 2019 2:15PM
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Running this on my imperial atm. Anything specific you would change if running imperial, and what's your thoughts about the race for next update?

As an Imperial, you are going to be losing a good bit of Max Magicka, but in turn getting a hefty Stamina/Health pool. This is key because those stats are very relevant to Magicka builds in PvP. This will be much more pronounced next patch than on live. Currently, as an Imperial I would dial back on some of the tri stats and more comfortably remove Valkyn and still hit acceptable Stamina/Health pools.

Next patch, Imperial will be a powerhouse due the the shift to flat value stats and Red Diamond. Flat +2k Stamina/Health means you can forego any and all outside sources of these resources and go full Magicka on everything. Red Diamond is the big one though. It is gonna be a tremendously powerful racial. While it is less pure Magicka sustain than Breton @ 7% cost reduction, the 3% cost reduction of Imperial will apply to anything and everything. This includes blocking, break free, and ultis- all of which is very relevant to Magplar. Furthermore, you get a steady return of resources while attacking. As such, an Imperial will make for a very sturdy and resilient Magplar that can stack heavily into Max Magicka and Spell Damage.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CyrusArya wrote: »

As an Imperial, you are going to be losing a good bit of Max Magicka, but in turn getting a hefty Stamina/Health pool. This is key because those stats are very relevant to Magicka builds in PvP. This will be much more pronounced next patch than on live. Currently, as an Imperial I would dial back on some of the tri stats and more comfortably remove Valkyn and still hit acceptable Stamina/Health pools.

Next patch, Imperial will be a powerhouse due the the shift to flat value stats and Red Diamond. Flat +2k Stamina/Health means you can forego any and all outside sources of these resources and go full Magicka on everything. Red Diamond is the big one though. It is gonna be a tremendously powerful racial. While it is less pure Magicka sustain than Breton @ 7% cost reduction, the 3% cost reduction of Imperial will apply to anything and everything. This includes blocking, break free, and ultis- all of which is very relevant to Magplar. Furthermore, you get a steady return of resources while attacking. As such, an Imperial will make for a very sturdy and resilient Magplar that can stack heavily into Max Magicka and Spell Damage.

agreed. #HumansOverElves
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been waiting 5 years to be this relevant...

But in all seriousness, would you recommend going all magicka gear enchants and grothdarr over skoria for an imperial magplar?

Edit: I did some math and testing and Grothrarr still doesn't really measure up. The mag 1pc is nice but you lose so much burst and people just get out of your red ring when they see it.
    Edited by Datolite on February 16, 2019 1:43AM
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

agreed. #HumansOverElves

High Elf should be good for magplar too next patch. But imperial sounds like a fun combo. I think it will be super fun on stamplar too
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But in all seriousness, would you recommend going all magicka gear enchants and grothdarr over skoria for an imperial magplar?

Edit: I did some math and testing and Grothrarr still doesn't really measure up. The mag 1pc is nice but you lose so much burst and people just get out of your red ring when they see it.

Use valkyn then. If you have enough health, run ghoul eye food; you should hit 25k health but get more DMG and pending your Regen, hit like 1700-2k.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

agreed. #HumansOverElves
    #teammankind

In regards to total magicka investment on an Imperial, yes. That’s how you can leverage the strength of its racials to accommodate a Magicka build, in the way a sustain race would leverage its abundant resource sustain to run more damage. Imperial is basically shaping up to be a stat dense sustain race, so play to that strength.

When it comes to undaunted gear, while a variety of sets would work as we’ve discussed, the holy trinity for Magplar remains Skoria, Bloodspawn, and Pirate Skeleton as far as I’m concerned. I will always personally recommend and run one of these three sets.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Datolite grothdar serves a different purpose. The reasons I personally like grothdar at least as a contender to skoria is that
    A) a nord magplar and will not be race changing giving me more magic!
    B) grothdar scales off of my lightning staff

C) it has its first hit when it activates and does a final hit when it goes down, ultimately dealing on Tooltip MORE damage single target in a 6 second window (skoria deals more over 10 second or more due to grothdar cooldown)
    D) most of my fights are outnumbered, grothdar has a huge radius and deals similar damage to all targets, dont have to worry about proccing on the wrong target
    E) if a target escapes me? *** him, didn't need to kill him anyway. Leaves me to kill his buddies without him there to help them

Skoria 1v1 all day though. Many people like skoria because it's all around a little bit better for open world and different scenarios, but I like grothdar
    Edited by Baconlad on February 19, 2019 12:12PM
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Datolite grothdar serves a different purpose. The reasons I personally like grothdar at least as a contender to skoria is that

C) it has its first hit when it activates and does a final hit when it goes down, ultimately dealing on Tooltip MORE damage single target in a 6 second window (skoria deals more over 10 second or more due to grothdar cooldown)
    D) most of my fights are outnumbered, grothdar has a huge radius and deals similar damage to all targets, dont have to worry about proccing on the wrong target
    E) if a target escapes me? *** him, didn't need to kill him anyway. Leaves me to kill his buddies without him there to help them

Skoria 1v1 all day though. Many people like skoria because it's all around a little bit better for open world and different scenarios, but I like grothdar

I definitely see the benefit. I think it lacks a that bit of burst though, especially if I'm going to pair it with Auroran. That cone dot is basically a foolproof way to trigger skoria, and assuming you use your charge, it will proc while they are stunned.

Also the aoe portion of skoria is buffed by lightning staff I think. It's less overall aoe damage than groth though so I think these two will be interchangeable based on situation/build.

Just curious, what do you use for execute?
    Edited by Datolite on February 19, 2019 2:27PM
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! Meditate is essential to this spec and there’s really no way around that. There is more flexibility when it comes to undaunted sets however. I really enjoy Skoria for the pressure and burst it brings, as well as the flashy animation. But a few other sets are competitive in that slot, namely Bloodspawn and Pirate Skeleton. Other sets that can be viable are Shadowrend, Malubeth, Engine Guardian and Balorgh.

Can you go back to this build I'm getting tired of running from your sorc

I definitely see the benefit. I think it lacks a that bit of burst though, especially if I'm going to pair it with Auroran. That cone dot is basically a foolproof way to trigger skoria, and assuming you use your charge, it will proc while they are stunned.

Also the aoe portion of skoria is buffed by lightning staff I think. It's less overall aoe damage than groth though so I think these two will be interchangeable based on situation/build.

There making it so proc sets can't proc other proc sets so I don't think Auroran/overwhelming will proc skoria any more after one of these updates
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There making it so proc sets can't proc other proc sets so I don't think Auroran/overwhelming will proc skoria any more after one of these updates

I guess that's fair. RIP overwleming/skoria sleepy build
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Look, I love my Magplar and have decided it’s my second favorite class after Stamplar. But Sorc is currently so damn dominant for the style of play I prefer, I can’t see myself putting it down right now. Just an order of magnitude stronger. And it’s about to get a whole lot more powerful.

That being said, after I get my kicks in with Amplitude in Wrathstone, I plan to return to Magplar- most likely on an Altmer. There’s a couple of new ideas I wanna play around with, namely Solar Barrage and the Auroran set.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Snatchez
    Snatchez
    ✭✭
    I'm considering something along the lines of what you have here.

But more tank than not.

Something like Cyrodiil's light + Symbiosis + Guard + Blazing Shield (if it's worth anything now)

Minor + Major protection while channeling symbiosis + guard means the redirected damage is really low probably gonna heal yourself for more than you're taking.

I'm like the idea of if it's interrupted you get a free spell. I like the idea of it with Rune

I've been musing a healer tank and your ideaa maybe perfect for what I'm looking for

Clever thinking! I love Cyrodiil’s Light for how much synergy the set offers on Magplar. The damage reduction while channeling Jabs is beautiful. The damage reduction on meditate is also nice, but not as much of a game changer since major protection from Psijic alone is plenty of mitigation. That interrupt mechanic however *is* a game changer, since meditate gives you the perfect means to “proc” Cyrodiil’s Light with. Make sure to slot a couple of expensive spells to get the most out of this.

Baiting an interrupt with Meditate, and then casting a free Honor the Dead that not only is free but in fact returns magicka is one of the coolest mechanics I’ve experienced in ESO.

It’s interesting that mist counts as a channel, does bats also trigger the 15% on cyrodiil’s light?......before I was running spinners/bright throat with pirate skele and while good I felt it could be better
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snatchez wrote: »
    I'm considering something along the lines of what you have here.

But more tank than not.

Something like Cyrodiil's light + Symbiosis + Guard + Blazing Shield (if it's worth anything now)

Minor + Major protection while channeling symbiosis + guard means the redirected damage is really low probably gonna heal yourself for more than you're taking.

I'm like the idea of if it's interrupted you get a free spell. I like the idea of it with Rune

I've been musing a healer tank and your ideaa maybe perfect for what I'm looking for

Clever thinking! I love Cyrodiil’s Light for how much synergy the set offers on Magplar. The damage reduction while channeling Jabs is beautiful. The damage reduction on meditate is also nice, but not as much of a game changer since major protection from Psijic alone is plenty of mitigation. That interrupt mechanic however *is* a game changer, since meditate gives you the perfect means to “proc” Cyrodiil’s Light with. Make sure to slot a couple of expensive spells to get the most out of this.

Baiting an interrupt with Meditate, and then casting a free Honor the Dead that not only is free but in fact returns magicka is one of the coolest mechanics I’ve experienced in ESO.

It’s interesting that mist counts as a channel, does bats also trigger the 15% on cyrodiil’s light?......before I was running spinners/bright throat with pirate skele and while good I felt it could be better

Bats is just an instant cast AOE dot.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Snatchez wrote: »

Bats does not count as a channel unfortunately. Mist form in Cyrodiil's Light is basically impermeable though, and it becomes a free cast if meditate is interrupted, which is nice since Rune will still return magicka while you are misting around at no cost. I tried Spinners/Bright throat but Cyrodiil's Light ended up being more damage overall, with purple food as opposed to a drink.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I've found my ideal version of this build for noCP:
    BTB/Cyrodiil's Light/Bloodspawn
    Nirnhoned/defending and full impen
    Full prismatic, full spell damage
    2 swift and 1 protective
    Imperial race, apprentice mundus
    Witchmother, tristat pots

Sweeps, Charge, PL, Vamp Bane, Degeneration, Crescent
    Ritual, Rune, Mist, Deep Thoughts, HtD, Practiced Incantation

Just squeezing every last drop out of that gear. It's a BEAST. I've never felt this mobile, tanky, AND deadly in BGs. I kind of miss my non-vamp build with Accelerate sometimes but mist form is just too OP not to use, especially with this set. I dropped jesus beam favor of using a timed PL/Crescent for execute. Takes getting used to without the ranged element but the toughness makes up for it. Still really wish they could extend Crescent's AoE by like 1 meter...

The only thing I can't decide on is whether to use Vamp Bane or Elemental Drain. All other skills are non-negotiable. I know everyone always says Drain is best, but this build really excels at AoE, not single target, and I don't need the extra mag sustain. Bane is my only source of Major Prophecy, and that affects all targets, not just one. Still, I could be convinced if there's something I'm not considering.
    Edited by Datolite on February 22, 2019 3:24PM
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @CyrusArya I noticed you don't use PL at all.
    Do you miss the burst from it?