Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bastion. Is there any reason to put points in it now?

Sennecca
Sennecca
✭✭✭
If I'm reading the notes correctly, damage shields are still capped at a percent max health. Does Bastion do anything for any skill?

Best Answers

• Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's useful for any shields (shield sets, Bon Shield, Radiant Ward, Steadfast Ward etc.) except for Conjured Ward and Annulment if these are hitting the health cap.

It becomes a certain situation only CP like Resistant or Siphoner.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on October 22, 2018 2:47PM
    Answer ✓
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just moved my sorcs points from bastion into Physical/spell resists. I figure since i'm already capped, but they get extra bonus from our mitagation might as well boost the shield the other way.
    Answer ✓
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    completely useless. move them out of bastion and whack them into resistances.
    Answer ✓
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Increases shield size, so basically no unless you run a spell damage build so aren't quite at the 40/50% hp cap.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only if you use shielding proc sets or ults.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    Increases shield size, so basically no unless you run a spell damage build so aren't quite at the 40/50% hp cap.

Are there tests confirming that bastion is applied before cap?
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5553467#Comment_5553467
    Jakx wrote: »
    Is this really their intended use of Bastion now? It nearly makes the passive entirely irrelevant. Something that seems like it must be an oversight with the changes.

It would be great to get some clarification on Bastion and if its intended to still provide the bonus that it gives with the shield changes. @ZOS_GinaBruno

The two best suggestions Ive seen if Bastion is to be made relevant again are to (1)create a direct counter to Shattering Blows (the developers have said that CP options are supposed to cancel each other out so wheres the counter to Shattering Blows? Bastion is ready made) OR (2)Bastion could now increase the shield cap.

Edited by Jakx on October 22, 2018 2:41PM
    Joined September 2013
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can see some PvE stamina players experimenting with Bastion and Bone Shield for AS and CR.
  • Sennecca
    Sennecca
    ✭✭✭
    It's useful for any shields (shield sets, Bon Shield, Radiant Ward, Steadfast Ward etc.) except for Conjured Ward and Annulment if these are hitting the health cap.

So does this means that it would be useful to stamina users and any one who has access to any other shield besides annulment and conjured ward? ???
  • Krymzonbladez
    Krymzonbladez
    ✭✭✭
    So useless for everyone who actually needs it.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Works good on PUG tank. With 40k health and 20% from bastion, i got 36% shields = 14k, allows to soften hits from those behemoth werewolves etc, allows 3dd run etc etc etc
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terral33 wrote: »

So does this means that it would be useful to stamina users and any one who has access to any other shield besides annulment and conjured ward? ???

Pretty much. Also any tank spec that relies on Ward. It's still going to be pretty great for DKs, for example.
  • carlos424
    carlos424
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Works good on PUG tank. With 40k health and 20% from bastion, i got 36% shields = 14k, allows to soften hits from those behemoth werewolves etc, allows 3dd run etc etc etc

Funny, I dont think devs planned to make tanks the only class the could really benefit from shields.
  • MakeMeUhSamich
    MakeMeUhSamich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So tanks in heavy armor = 14k shield yet my MagSorc in light armor = 8k shield.

Yep, makes total sense. /s
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For magicka DPS the passive is totally irrelevant.

However, that does not make it irrelevant in the game. For tanks (and stam DPS) it is still relevant since the shields they use typically already scale off max health but are not anywhere near the cap.

With the changes that pets could not die in group instanced content like trials Zos stated that the Eternal Guardian morph was not irrelevant since cases like PvP the bear could die. So limited usefulness is still sufficient to serve Zos' purposes.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I thought Obsidian Shield was nerfed too.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget that tank shield has 33k resistance :D and actually i'm thinking about sorctank with 40k hp and high spell power
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought Obsidian Shield was nerfed too.

Slightly.. 14.5k bonewall, 11.5k igneous shield (in case of 40k hp)
  • Ermiq
    Ermiq
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No reason to be sarcastic here. You know, it's fine for RPG game to have actual roles. Tank sacrifices the damage to be able to live longer while damage dealer has to sacrifice survivability to deal more damage. Moreover, in RPGs usually the healer is the only one who can resurrect people. Further more, he can do this only once per the fight or even per hour in some games.
    ESO players are so casual actually. They used to be a combo terminators, who can be a tank, a healer and a DD all at once.
    One of the two of us definitely has gone mad. It only remains to define whether this one is the whole world or just me.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Sick&tired of being kicked off from your house when you complete a dungeon? ComingBackHome addon is what you need!
    Me is russian little bad in english :b
  • joaaocaampos
    joaaocaampos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I already said it on PTS. Bastion needs to be fixed:
    • Increases the effectiveness of damage absorbing effects by [0-25]%.
    • Reduces damage taken while using a damage shield ability by [0-25]%.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took out all the points on my Pet Sorc and hardened ward is still at the exact same number, capped at 50%.

So no, for that build there was no reason to keep any points there.
    shades.gif
  • Crafts_Many_Boxes
    Crafts_Many_Boxes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I already said it on PTS. Bastion needs to be fixed:
    • Increases the effectiveness of damage absorbing effects by [0-25]%.
    • Reduces damage taken while using a damage shield ability by [0-25]%.

The reason this will never happen is because this would make shields almost as strong as they used to be. The whole point of the change was to "make sorcs choose between high damage and survivability".

Obviously most of us, myself included, think this is utter BS, but the devs clearly have their own vision of this game now, and it doesn't align with popular sentiment anymore.
  • Transairion
    Transairion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had 100 CP in Bastion (due to only using a single shield as like, my only defence) and tried to test the change to Bastion by removing all that CP and testing tooltips: Pre-Murkmire the shield was around 20k, post-Murkmire no CP the tooltip was around 6k and with 100 CP in Bastion the shield went to about 7-8k.

So does Bastion apply on top of the Shield Cap?

Or is the shield going up because spending CP in the red tree (where Bastion is) adds Health, and health is changing the shield value?

I feel like I'm misunderstanding, so please help me get it :smile:
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    carlos424 wrote: »

Funny, I dont think devs planned to make tanks the only class the could really benefit from shields.

Pretty sure Sorcs and Light Armor characters still benefit from Ward and Annulment. Thing is, I know the devs never planned on those two skills making Sorcs, and other mag builds immortal.

Also funny, Bastion is in a constellation where the primary focus is tanking. Increase the effectiveness of healing received? Increase effectiveness of Heal Pots? Increase the effectiveness of shields, which is still the DK's primary survival mechanism... Sounds like it's in the right place.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously most of us, myself included, think this is utter BS, but the devs clearly have their own vision of this game now, and it doesn't align with popular sentiment anymore.

You're saying that like it's a new thing. The devs have had a vision for the game since before launch. When players have found ways to break that approach, things have gotten nerfed. This has been going on for four years now.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So does Bastion apply on top of the Shield Cap?
    @Transairion

No, which is why it is useless for builds that already hit the cap without any points in Bastion.
    shades.gif

Edited by SirAndy on October 26, 2018 6:37AM
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You still need it in PvP, but in PvE you're better off putting your CP elsewhere.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Neoealth
    Neoealth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS owes me 3k gold for forcing me to take the points out of bastion :pensive:

• TheDarkoil
    TheDarkoil
    ✭✭✭
    I have 54k max magicka. Bastion no longer has any effect on my shield, nor does changing from empowered ward to hardened ward. I have no idea at what amount of magicka pushes my shield to the 40% health cap but there is no way of going past it beyond increasing max health. I understand that they want to limit shield size but there should be some exceptions like the 2 examples I have given.
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel kind of indifferent about this. No real feelings about this one way or another so I'll just provide my own numbers.

On my sorcerer tank with 40k magicka, 25k health and 20% invested in Bastion, it provided me a Hardened Ward shield somewhere around 20-22k. After the update that has fallen to about 12-13k. After removing all points from the Bastion CP node, the shield tooltip is just over 12k. I have split those points between quick recovery and Heavy Armor focus, to even out my resistances since I also use Torug's Pact as one of the gear sets.

On my Stamina Templar tank, With health varying between 35-40k and also investing 20% in the Bastion CP node, Blazing Shield grants me a value around 14k. Purple quality Brands of the Imperium set also has a value of around 14k for me.
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)