The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Murkmire & Argonian Lore Q&A

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EDIT: Also, does Black Marsh have a 'Tower' associated with it?
    (Background information: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Towers)

For example:
    Cyrodiil has the White Gold Tower
    Skyrim has the Throat-of-the-World (Snow-Throat)
    Morrowind/Vvardenfell has the Red Tower (The Red Mountain), as well as Walk-Brass (The Numidium)
    Illiac Bay area has the Adamantine Tower (Ada-Mantia)
    Yokuda had the Orichalc Tower
    Valenwood has the Graht Oak Elden Grove (Green-Sap)
    Summerset Isle has the Crystal Tower (Crystal-like-Law)

Black Marsh and Elsweyr seem to be the only regional provinces with no Tower mentioned anywhere in the lore, that I know of.
    Is the Black Marsh 'Tower' a giant Hist tree located near Helstrom -- completely hidden, blocked off, and inaccessible to outsiders?
    @Darkmage1337 Black Marsh never had any native Elven inhabitants, and therefore, nobody to create a Tower in the region. (Unless the Barsaebic Ayleids attempted and failed to create one when they were there, like the similarly-failed Ayleid Tower at Erokii - maybe each Elven race can only create one functional Tower?)
    Edited by Enodoc on October 6, 2018 12:10PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please please please say something about the Lilmothiit!!

Please!
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Thal_J
    Thal_J
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jee-Lar, I hope this message finds you well. My name is Seeks-Out-Books. I am a librarian for the United Explorers of Scholarly Pursuits, and I have spent a lifetime trying to unravel the secrets of the Hist. Life is simply catching up to me, and unfortunately I cannot easily continue this pursuit of knowledge on my own, which is why I write to you.

Several weeks ago, Mondas, I was walking back to my house in Gideon when a strange looking merchant passed through town. A small book titled “Lost Tales of the Famed Explorer” slipped from his pocket.

I picked the book up as he sped off, out the Southern gate on his guar. I sat down by my fire and read the story - an Argonian traveller, and a small band of companions setting out to find some lost golden city. A particularly gripping story, I must say.

Solis Aduro - this is the name of the author who wrote the book. How much do you know about this individual? I intend to seek him out in time, ask a few questions, trace back some origin to this story. Could there be any truth to this tale?

The final words of the book describe Matius flying and observing cities of gold, and then a tower, and then spinning wheels colliding. What are the meanings of these final words? Do they strike you as meaningful? What, in the long forgotten history of the world, could they be referencing? What is the golden city? Where is the golden city?

- Seeks-Out-Books, Librarian of the United Explorers of Scholary Pursuits

[Out of character footnote to Lawrence Schick]: It’s great to see that you’re doing Loremaster’s Archives again. The lore community genuinely appreciates it.
    Edited by Thal_J on October 6, 2018 7:04PM
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know it's too many questions and they are too long, but I couldn't stop thinking about it so I wrote some more. Plus, I found them funny to write, so here they are...

This one holds an artisanal bakery of sweet and sugary specialties, and has heard stories about a delicious ingredient from Argonia called daril. What is it exactly? Does it grow on a plant? Do you know of recipes mixing daril and sugar? Surely there are coins to be made, yes?

Hazazhun-dar the Bittersweet.

To Jee-Lar,

This is very embarrassing. I know fauna isn’t your specialty, but you’re the only Argonian contact the Sapiarch Tandemen has been able, or willing, to recommend me.

I am in charge of welcoming foreign fauna at the docks of Alinor. Apparently, the Conservator Vinelore ordered a couple of Swamp Leviathans for a conservatory enclave we maintain here on Summerset. However, it seems she has been very recently taken out of function, and there seems to be hierarchical uncertainty in Sil-Var-Woad: nobody has been able to tell me with certainty who’s in charge there. I, for sure, am in charge of taking care of the two animals when they arrive, and they are on their way. While we did have Wamasus in the past, we have no defined procedure for the Leviathans. Are they very similar? Could you describe Leviathans to me? What kind of food do I need to prepare for their quarantine, and in what amount? How much room do they need, and in what kind of environment? What kind of behavior is to be expected? Are there precautions we need to take regarding their wellbeing?
    In case you would not be able to answer, would you kindly address these questions to an Argonian zoologist?

Thank you for your consideration. Five blessings on you.
    Silonrië

Dear Jee-Lar,

I have been studying the foreign races and their cultures under the Sapiarch Tandemen, and am delighted by our Queen’s decree, which makes my pursuit much easier.

What can you tell me about non-Argonian people in the Black Marsh? What made the Barsaebic Ayleids different from their Cyrodiilic cousins? What were their architectural, theological, or more broadly, cultural specificities? Similarly, how were Cantemiric Velothi different from other followers of Veloth? Were they nomad folks like the current-day Ashlander? Dunmeri architecture tends to vary a lot depending on the local materials and the environmental conditions. What does (or did) the Cantemiric architecture look like in the Black Marsh? What materials were used by the Velothi people in Argonia? Do they still rely on chitin? I have heard too that there was a Dwemer presence in a region of Argonia called the Dejasyte, which caused great loss to the Argonians living there. Could you tell me more about it? What clan was it?

I have understood you reside in Lilmoth. What do you know about the Lilmothiit? Are they related to the Khajiiti, whom we now welcome under our Dominion? Are they thus bound to the Lunar Lattice? Could you describe their arts and crafts? Any depiction of their buildings, monuments, clothing, armor, weapons, would be most welcome.

I have heard of a presence of Lamiae and Nereids in the surroundings of Arx Corinium. Are there other tribes, other pockets of Lamian proto-civilization in the Black Marsh? What can you tell us about them? Similarly, considering the Black Marsh, is… well… a marsh, I expect it to host a bunch of palustrine spirits and other water-attuned Faeries. What can you tell me about the presence of Nereids, Leimineids, Whisps and Whispmothers, and other Faerie in the Marsh?

Information I gathered about Argonians implies that some have feathers. Some very ancient texts about Topal’s expeditions mention bird men in the Rumare area of the once-jungled Cyrodiil. Do you think these winged men of the Cyrodilic jungles might bear a relation with feathered Argonians?
    Why and when did your people cease to erect Xanmeers?

To the Men, now. I have found some information about the Kothringi, but apparently, at least three other Nedic tribes once inhabited Argonia besides the Lustrous Folks: the Orma, the Horwalli and the Yerpest. I have been unable to find any information about them. Could you provide some insight? Did their cohabitation with the Barsaebic Mer lead to the same kind of conflict as in Cyrodiil?

Thank you for your time,
    Silaanwe

To the esteemed scholar Jee-Lar,

I am a member of the Mages Guild and I study the various abominations that plague Nirn.

A parchment found on a Skaafin that was subdued by other Guild Members was recently brought to my attention. Though abstruse and fragmentary, the text hints that a species of sentient trees would inhabit Realm of the Prince of Bargains, and these seem to be extremely similar to the Hist. Do you know any stories about an association between Clavicus Vile and the Hist?

The hypothesis that the Argonians created the Knahaten flu has credit among a number of researchers. Some say it would be a way for the Hist to get rid of the denizens whom they deemed unfit. Using a disease to get rid of the unfit, this is very reminiscent of Peryite. Do you have any information on the origin of the Knahaten flu? Was Peryite involved? (And why was it named “Knahaten”?)

Most vampires (though not all) honour Molag Bal, father of the undeath. However, it is not unheard of that some clans may pledge allegiance to other Princes (some even having dual patrons). I am interested in the Sodality of the Whet-Fang. What do you know about their origins? From what I gathered, they have the ability to keep their victims alive in a catatonic state during long periods. Using sleep as a means of entrapment, this looks like a gift Vaermina would offer, and indeed it wouldn’t be the first case I hear of Molag Bal and Vaermina collaborating on vampiric questions. Do you know whence this particular power of the Whet-Fangs stems?
    I have heard that voriplasm phagocytosis led to a particularly horrible kind of undeath. Could you tell me about it? Is Molag Bal involved in this?

I would be immensely grateful for any light you could shed on Daedric activities in the Black Marsh. We have lost a lot in the plundering of the Arcane University, and any help for our very necessary scholarly pursuit is most welcome.

May Stendarr always grant you His mercy.
    Otello Lignifer, Mages Guild scholar

Hello Jee-Lar!

I live in Southpoint, in the Grahtwood. Maybe you have heard of it? We have beautiful trees here, too, you should come and see them!
    I have a cousin who lives near the Gray Mire and I often come to visit him. There are Argonians there, now. Did you know there was a Hist sapling growing there now?

There is that Argonian in the Mire that I like and find cute, and sometimes after a rotmeth or two, I dare to talk to her. Or maybe him. It’s not always easy for me to tell with the lizards. She, if she’s a she, often says that the Argonians are part of the Hist. So I was wondering… How much part of the Hists are Argonians part of the Hists? Is it like we Bosmeri are part of the Green? Or are they actual plants with scales that can walk? I am asking, because if it’s the latter, I am not authorized to eat them, right?
    Oh, don’t worry! I would never eat an Argonian that hasn’t attacked me first! I don’t hunt what can speak! (No offense intended, of course: I am sure you taste good… Actually, I usually like reptiles’ marbled flesh.)

Also, I am wondering… If we are to welcome you in the Green (which I wish will happen)… that means our Spinners will have to sing for your Hist too, right? Is that even authorized? For your people, I mean… Do Argonians sing tales for Y’ffre too?

Glooreleb, confused Bosmer
    Edited by VerboseQuips on October 6, 2018 9:19PM
    My characters:
    Main and crafter: A Breton magicka templar named Erwann Sorril
    Alt 1: A Bosmer sorcerer named Tuuneleg
    Alt 2: An Imperial dragonknight named Gaius Tullius Hastifer
    Alt 3: An Argonian vampire/nightblade named Observe-le-Xanmeer
    Alt 4: A Nord werewolf/dragonknight named Sigurd Hurlevent
    Alt 5: A Breton sorcerer named Gilian Sorril (he's Erwann's younger brother)
    Alt 6: A Khajiit nightblade named Jolan-dar
    Alt 7: A Nord warden named Sigurmar Hurlevent (he's Sigurd's younger brother)
    Alt 8: An Altmer templar named Oioriel
    Alt 9: An Argonian stamina Warden named Danse-avec-les-Rainettes
    Alt 10: A Redguard templar named Neemokh af-Corelanya
    Alt 11: A Nord stamina sorcerer named Olga Écoute-Vent
    Alt 12: A Breton magicka Warden named Ian Sorril
    Alt 13: A Dunmer magicka necromancer named Ilmoran Dren
    Alt 14: An Orc stamina necromancer named Norgol gro-Borziel
    Alt 15: A Nord magicka necromancer named Thorgen Givresang
    Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
    Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legoless wrote: »
    If scholarly writings are to be believed, amber plasm is similar in nature to chaotic creatia. Does this lend credence to the theory that the Hist originally came from a realm of Oblivion? If so, do Argonian historians know anything about this realm?

I am wondering that too. There's that mysterious Hist Realm we don't know much about yet, that I find interesting. And then there's this reincarnation thing going on with the Argonians (there's a quest in High Rock
    where an old Argonian dies and then becomes a crocodile,
    for example), the return to the Hist through its sap or the amber plasm, which looks really Daedric in Nature.
    I really hope we'll learn more on this through the Archive.
    And on behalf of a fellow scholar:

Jee-Lar,

I've heard legends about a so-called King of Black Marsh and his priceless jewel, the Eye of Argonia. They say it can be used to unlock the secrets of a Lost City, but few other details exist that I know of. Jee-Lar, great historian of the Argonians, I come to you seeking answers to these riddles. Just recently I have uncovered the name Haerot, somehow related to the Eye. Could this be the Lost City? What might be hidden within, and how does it connect to the King of Black Marsh? What does the Eye look like?

—Dillon, Cartographer of the United Explorers of Scholarly Pursuits

Wonderful question! I hope we'll learn something about the Eye!
    My characters:
    Main and crafter: A Breton magicka templar named Erwann Sorril
    Alt 1: A Bosmer sorcerer named Tuuneleg
    Alt 2: An Imperial dragonknight named Gaius Tullius Hastifer
    Alt 3: An Argonian vampire/nightblade named Observe-le-Xanmeer
    Alt 4: A Nord werewolf/dragonknight named Sigurd Hurlevent
    Alt 5: A Breton sorcerer named Gilian Sorril (he's Erwann's younger brother)
    Alt 6: A Khajiit nightblade named Jolan-dar
    Alt 7: A Nord warden named Sigurmar Hurlevent (he's Sigurd's younger brother)
    Alt 8: An Altmer templar named Oioriel
    Alt 9: An Argonian stamina Warden named Danse-avec-les-Rainettes
    Alt 10: A Redguard templar named Neemokh af-Corelanya
    Alt 11: A Nord stamina sorcerer named Olga Écoute-Vent
    Alt 12: A Breton magicka Warden named Ian Sorril
    Alt 13: A Dunmer magicka necromancer named Ilmoran Dren
    Alt 14: An Orc stamina necromancer named Norgol gro-Borziel
    Alt 15: A Nord magicka necromancer named Thorgen Givresang
    Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
    Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)
  • TaigaStrider
    TaigaStrider
    ✭✭✭
    To the esteemed historian Jee-Lar,

It is my deepest hope that this letter reaches you in a timely and undamaged fashion. I, and my husband, wish to have some answers regarding a personal and possibly contentious matter. We know you are a great historian of my husband's people, so you may have access to much information that has not been censored by the Empire.

I am an Imperial, and my husband is Saxhleel. He wishes to try for children, but I personally have great fears. Our marriage was already seen with contempt by many, and I would never wish such ostracism on any child.

I, however, do not know if children are even possible. I have heard rumors they are possible, but insistence from others that it is not, and even if it was, it would be morally wrong. Out of fear, I have been taking preventative measures the last few years, but is this even necessary? One publication, Notes on Racial Phylogeny, written by my own people, provided interesting information. But the answers were still inconclusive, the work seemed censored and even biased, and the work only made me more nervous about the safety of my family and how we are viewed by others.

I do hope that you, kind Jee-Lar, being so familiar with the history of your own people, uncensored by the Empire, might be able to give some answers. Are we able to have children? If so, what actions should we take to preserve our safety and the safety of our children? Even though I know couplings such as mine are rare in Tamriel, there are many other couples who would take solace from anything you could provide. We would be very grateful.

Sincerely,

Cassia Vonius
    In-Game Username - @WanderMyst
    EP Roleplayer
    Primary RP Guild: House Tavari

Nahrani - Khajiit - Melancholic and Conservative Dres Slave
    Hugs-Like-Steel - Argonian - Dres Hireling & Ex-Telvanni Battlemage with Power Issues
    Xul-Deelith - Argonian - Fate-Cursed Archein & Dres Vanguard
    Tarvyn Verelnim - Dunmer - Idealistic Imperial City Survivor & Indoril Mercenary
    Shanji Marsh-Boots - Khajiit - Marsh-Rot-Afflicted Former AD Vanguard in Operation Merciful Reduction
    Ja'Khari - Khajiit - Child-Prodigy Marsh Cartographer & Information Broker
    Nelanwen the Raven - Altmer - Narcissistic Former AD Sentry in Operation Merciful Reduction
    Twendil - Altmer - Former AD Shiphand in Operation Merciful Reduction & Shanty-Singing Operator of the Happy Hulkynd
    Cotter Georick - Breton - Simple-Minded Miner
    Celsus Scotti - Imperial - Overweight, Embezzling, Pacifistic, Alteration-Casting Imperial Geographical Society Member
    Mouse - Khajiit - Former AD Assassin in Operation Merciful Reduction & Skooma-Addicted Beggar
    Parvus Viro - Imperial/Bosmer - A Very Short Resolute of Stendarr and Apologist of Man

"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible." - Farengar Secret-Fire
  • mateosalvaje
    mateosalvaje
    ✭✭✭✭
    To the esteemed historian Jee-Lar,

It is my deepest hope that this letter reaches you in a timely and undamaged fashion. I, and my husband, wish to have some answers regarding a personal and possibly contentious matter. We know you are a great historian of my husband's people, so you may have access to much information that has not been censored by the Empire.

I am an Imperial, and my husband is Saxhleel. He wishes to try for children, but I personally have great fears. Our marriage was already seen with contempt by many, and I would never wish such ostracism on any child.

I, however, do not know if children are even possible. I have heard rumors they are possible, but insistence from others that it is not, and even if it was, it would be morally wrong. Out of fear, I have been taking preventative measures the last few years, but is this even necessary? One publication, Notes on Racial Phylogeny, written by my own people, provided interesting information. But the answers were still inconclusive, the work seemed censored and even biased, and the work only made me more nervous about the safety of my family and how we are viewed by others.

I do hope that you, kind Jee-Lar, being so familiar with the history of your own people, uncensored by the Empire, might be able to give some answers. Are we able to have children? If so, what actions should we take to preserve our safety and the safety of our children? Even though I know couplings such as mine are rare in Tamriel, there are many other couples who would take solace from anything you could provide. We would be very grateful.

Sincerely,

Cassia Vonius

If I remember correctly, a wise man named Lawrence once said that offspring from biracial couplings always follow the mother's lineage. That's why we never see mixtures of Altmer and Dunmer for example. :smile:
    I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.
  • Cobrafire5
    Cobrafire5
    Soul Shriven
    To Jee-Lar,

Greetings, Deelith, if I may call you as so, I hope that this letter finds you well. I am Gin-Sei, a study of philosophy and biology nested in Gideon. Within this missive I ruminate a couple of questions, one being from a dear beeko of mine, though we decided to save valuable paper and ink by sharing this letter. It would be moisture on my scales if you could perhaps afford a ripple of the river to read and potentially bask with me in the waters of knowledge.

Firstly, from my beeko, Khadhava. She is an avid fan and participant of our local sport of Teeba-Hatsei. Though, perhaps it is more wide spread than I am aware? She is curious as to another Teeba sport that is to our understanding more common in Murkmire called Teeba-Enoo. Is there a difference between these two sports, and if so, what is it? Are they played on the same fields and with the same Teeba or are there unique equipment between the two? For the sake of our dry-skin companions, could we also get a translation for Teeba-Enoo?

Secondly, and more personally, a question that came to mind during a trip from Gideon to Stormhold and back. As I was walking along a submerged path in the southern regions of Shadowfen, I appeared to have roamed off slightly into the Marshes. I erect the spine of embarrassment as I mention this! But as I began to seek my way back to the path, I noticed a cave. I am ascertain that it was Bitterroot Cave, but as I grew curious, my attention was drawn to a swirl in the waters nearer to the cave. I was startled as the being raised its head as it reached the shallows, revealing a telling head and spined hood. It was a patrolling lamia and it made my head feathers stand on end!

I have often heard that the lamiae like to populate areas near waterways and will even often claim abandoned Imperial forts, Ayleid ruins, and our very own Xanmeers, as well as areas well beyond Argonia. While I did make a hasty retreat from the area and back to the roads south to Gideon, questions crept into my mind as water does a poorly built boat. Are the waterways of Murkmire also home to the lamiae? How far within and around Black Marsh can they be found?

Further rumors ranging from those of man, mer, and betmer making contact and deals, seemingly more common with the Maomer, and even that of a travelling showman wedding one, interest me as well. Is it possible to ally and/or find benevolent ones under normal circumstances where gold and potentially the risk of life isn't involved? Or at least study them from afar? Have any Argonian Tribes tried to co-exist with them? Or are the other rumors of them being egg, hatchling, and unwitting wanderer thieves as true as the rains fall?

I thank you for your consideration in possibly viewing over these questions and bid you a very smooth waters in your studies.

Hist's Blessings, Gin-Sei.
    In-Game User Name: @Cobrafire5
    EP RP'er: Banescale Fellowship

Khadhava - Argonian NB (Main) - 'Kaal' of the Banescale Tribe
    Khaj-Rah - Argonian NB - Shadowscale
    Shinvi - Argonian Templar - Swamp Witch and Shaman of the Banescale Tribe
    Gin-Sei - Argonian Sorc - Argonian Scholar
    Shand-Ti - Argonian DK - Shellback
    Meesu-Keeus - Argonian Warden - Huntress
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since its established that the Lamia are intelligent sentient creatures capable of fluent speech and verbal communication with the other Races, why haven't they began to establish their own structured civilization of more permanent dwellings? They have hands capable of making and using tools, what's stopping them from advancing?
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

If I remember correctly, a wise man named Lawrence once said that offspring from biracial couplings always follow the mother's lineage. That's why we never see mixtures of Altmer and Dunmer for example. :smile:

IIRC he specifically brought up the aforementioned Racial Phylogeny book while talking about it.

That said there is a book in the Shivering Isles (Fall of Vitharn) that mentions an Argonian having a child with the other parent being an Altmer, so there is precedent.
    Do you have any information on the origin of the Knahaten flu?

@VerboseQuips The quest with Drillk in Shadowfen actually addresses this, albeit in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it manner. One of the dialog options for the Ayleid ghost is something along the lines of 'the disease was supposed to kill Drillk!'
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear Jee-Lar,

Being a priestess of our loving Mother Mara, I’m trying to find as much information on Tamrielic wedding traditions, as I can. Of course, the vows are the most important part of the ceremony, but festive atmosphere should not be underestimated. Beautiful garments, dowry, rings, flowers, special dishes and drinks make wedding a true celebration of union, love and life.

But when I tried to learn something on Argonian wedding traditions, I was rather confused. I stumbled upon a horrible book! It stated that Argonians don’t have any wedding at all, and that mating is a simple call to procreation. Moreover, mating is a kind of annual trial event – only trial winners are allowed to mate. This nearly made my cry. I always imagined an Argonian wedding as a complex, delicate and ethereal ritual. Please, let me know the truth, whatever is it, in name of our loving Mother!

May Mother Mara bless and guard your soul!
    Anella Tavicus

P.S.: my brother founded my letter this morning. He asked me to add the lines on his behalf as follows:

Esteemed Jee-Lar,
    If you would agree to subject your people’s traditions to the glare of truth, could you please also tell about Argonian funerals?

Best regards,
    Leonidas Tavicus
  • Benefactor
    Benefactor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard rumors of the king's jewel of blackmarsh, also known as The Eye of Argonia. Can you tell us more about this mythological item and the history behind it? - The Benefactor
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Esteemed Jee-Lar,

I erect a spine of apology for the questions I’m going to ask – they are not about history. You see, I am a just a humble cook in Dhalmora village, Morrowind. Raised in a slave-pen, mere Lukiul, I dream of mastering authentic Saxhleel cuisine. Here in Dhalmora we are trying to maintain our traditions, but we know little of them. I believe that every villager will be happy to taste true flavors of our Motherland.

So far I serve dried fish and frogs, and also raw snakes and rats. Could you be so kind to advise me on some advanced recipes – what can be stewed and what shall be roasted, what is good for soup and what will become a tasty salad? I am keen on idea of acquiring herbs, seasonings, gravies and bastes from Murkmire and Shadowfen, but I don’t know what are they called and how to use them. Once I heard of bamphor, used to season a fen hen, but I have no idea what this bamphor is. And the fen hen itself: should it be roasted, stewed, or braised? Drinks are also a problem. Traders sometimes bring us amazing Theilul rum, but I dream of brewing snake venom and snake sweat spirits. Unfortunately, I don’t even know how to obtain sweat from a snake... And what about something sweet? Maybe fruits? I heard something on lumberries, but I'm not sure, if they are sweet at all.

I am desperately looking for answers. I erect a spine of hope to learn something from you, esteemed Jee-Lar, as cuisine is an important part of a culture. Just look how proud are Nords of their mead and sweetrolls. But when they ask me about our famous drinks and dishes, I keep a shameful silence. This needs to be changed, esteemed Jee-Lar, and you are my only hope!

- Stares-at-Pots of Dhalmora, Pejureel's Provisions
    Edited by myskyrim26 on October 8, 2018 5:23PM
  • RedRook
    RedRook
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cool idea. :)
    Edited by RedRook on October 8, 2018 5:47PM
  • Tib
    Tib
    ✭✭✭
    Esteemed Jee-Lar,

I am tasked by the United Explorers of Scholarly Pursuits to document the Murkmire region, along with various aspects of Argonian culture. I desperately request your help before my deadline runs out, lest I face detainment in UESP's Naughty Corner again (the Tiger-Doyen, he doesn't accept even small mistakes).

Recent information of Xinchei-Konu has sparked anew the debate on how Argonians view time. I hope you can either confirm or correct me in the following summary, and that you can answer the question below:

The Argonians' view on time is not a question of "if", but "how". Where the other races (often) see time as a linear chain of events, an Argonian sees a cycle which constantly repeats itself. Thus, it is pointless to dwell on the past or try to speak about the future: all the things that have been, will come again, and all the things that are, will pass. Hence, there is no need to use, for example, tenses. This leads to that instead of focusing on single events, an Argonian would prefer to see everything as part of a bigger system. The seasons, as presented in Xinchei-Konu, are just one, albeit a very good example of this perspective.

However, has this always been like this? The Xinchei-Konu is said to be ancient, yet ... The crumbling, sunken, and abandoned xanmeers hint of a different time, perhaps different beliefs. A massive stone xanmeer is not meant to fall apart, but stand against the tides of time and destruction. Am I missing something here? Or can you shed some light into when and how the paradigm shifted?

Respectfully,

Tib, currently in lockup at the Naughty Corner of United Explorers of Scholarly Pursuits

(Encrypted message in the bottom right corner of the letter)
    IF YOU SEE THIS - HELP. THE KEY SHOULD BE HIDDEN NEAR THE DOOR.
    ~Tibbie~
    Senior Achievement Seeker, Scholar of UESP and the laziest trader in Tamriel
    Editor and Recent Changes Patroller at UESP
    Member of Beyond Skyrim: Iliac Bay
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    May your scales ever be touched softly by the rains of happiness Jee-Lar.

When I was a hatchling I played amongst various places that often where forbidden by the grown up dull-scales. I remember one time I saw drawings, they looked really old, and they were of half Saxhleel half tree creatures. Was this symbolic to show the bond between us and the Hist, or was there a time when we were of a different form.

It is also said that even if a human consumes Hist-sap and grows up with it they are also Argonian enough. Are the Hist so generous to all?

May the river ever carry you to safe waters,

Hunts-for-Wisdom
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Esteemed Jee-Lar,
    I’m excited to write you, as I believe, only a Saxhleel historian can answer my questions. All others would lie or just be ignorant.

The first question is: what is a name of your Province in Jel? Now it is known as Argonia, or worse, Black Marsh. Both names are alien, both are given by other races. But why all guides and scholar works use alien names for your beautiful and mysterious land? It is unfair! Therefore, I ask you to write a true name, given by Saxhleel!

The second question is about the word “Argonia”. What is its origin? I heard that this name is elven, and it refers to an ancient battlefield where many of elves fell. I tried to ask Summerset scholars about this battle, and they just rolled their eyes and smiled patronizingly, and veildly hinted that I talk some utter nonsense.

My third question is on War with Trees. I heard one particularly arrogant Altmer mentioned it, but he refused to talk to me. Busy with urgent matters, he said! They always have those urgent matters, eh?

- Maximus Ferras, Adept of Mages Guild, Riften
    Edited by myskyrim26 on October 8, 2018 7:51PM
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scale-kin,

Are you responsible for the influx of bumbling, gawking outsiders to the deep places of Argonia? They are obnoxious and meddlesome, always asking endless questions about pointless things while confused by their own eyes. Give them something useful if you must correspond, such as how to distinguish the major tribes by appearance and where they are typically found. They would not know an Agaceph from an Archein or a Paatru from a Sarpa, should they ever encounter them. They had nerve to ask me if I was a Naga. Can you imagine? Please do not encourage further inquiries about our people.

Postscript: Ignore any stains on the parchment. It was cheaper to send wrapped around a fish.

- Spoken by Glides-Under-Starlight

(Recorded and dispatched by Hrrska-Set)

Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the esteemed Jee-Lar,

As an Imperial Scholar stationed near the Black Marsh border, my superiors have made mention of the Imperial Invasion of Black Marsh, commonly better known as the ''Blackwater War''.

I have been told that a 7 volume book series regarding this invasion exists, and as much as it surprises me to not have found a single copy in Cyrodiil, the War has taken my interest. Considering the conqeuring of Black Marsh took place a long time ago, I was curious if you could tell me if any of the volumes managed to survive the fall of the Reman Empire, and are still housed in the Marshes?

I have also been told that not all the Argonian tribes support the local militias of the so-called Ebonheart Pact. What is the allegiance of the Argonians of Murkmire? Are these Saxhleel neutral, or do they aid their northern cousins? Due to the slavery that House Dres still takes part in, I would reckon not all Argonians are equally supportive of an alliance with the Dunmer?

And if this humble Imperial may ask, how many different kinds of Saxhleel exist? Rumors have come to my attention that the common Argonian we see walking around Tamriel is not the only form the Argonian takes, it is said that there are also ''Naga'', a people of which I have never read before. Are there different kinds of Saxhleel, much like there are different kinds of Khajiit? If so, what defines the kind of Argonian to be born?

I respectfully await your response,

- Adamus Civello, Imperial Scholar and former Imperial Legion Battlemage, Fort Blueblood
    Edited by Bruccius on October 8, 2018 9:16PM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Jee-Lar,

I keep hearing about this "Scalded Throne" thing. Is it a thing I need to care about?

- Away-From-Keyboard
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Warmega
    Warmega
    Soul Shriven
    Deer Jee-Lar,

Have you some books translate the argonians name in Jel ? I could pay you dear for these.

- J'ihadjo.
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jee-Lar!
    I saw valleys laid with corpses. I saw entire prides of sabre-cats slaughtered by poachers mad with rage. I saw giants weeping and yelling near the torn bodies of their mammoths, their ravaged camps and their kin battered to death.

That’s how you, foul lizards, return the favor?! Skald-King helped your people to get freedom. It was he who saved Black Fin and proposed her join the Ebonheart Pact. It was he who welcomed your kin to Eastmarch and Rift! And now you send hordes of poachers to ravage our lands?!

Now I know what you, lizards, are. Now I know why dark elves keep you chained! May your people always be slaves, Jee-Lar, filthy poacher! Why don't you send slayers to ravage Dhalmora and kill guar herds there? And also lizards who would protect their guars? I guess, Esqoo would have choked you barehanded.

And one more thing for you to remember: should you not stop, Shor’s Bones, my blade will find your heartless chest.

- Fjori the Snow Owl, Riften
    Edited by myskyrim26 on October 9, 2018 4:10PM
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Regarding Argonians.....

cyizk2s80nsp.jpg
    Have you seen frank?
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wise historian Jee-Lar,

I hope you will receive my scroll from Cloudrest, since I never had the honor of visiting your ancient lands of Argonia - and this may be redressed soon - but I do wonder about the faiths of its peoples.

Much is told about the Hist trees, yet it seems that the Saxhleel also worship Sithis, sometimes spelled (or misspelled?) Seth.
    Some revered mythohistorians found a link between Sithis and our concept of Padomay, or Change. Symmetrically, would it mean that the Hist are your own way to Anuiel, the global soul? So are there Hist "Templars" of some sort in Argonia, who are able to manifest the Light? and if so, what is their part in your culture?

Besides, are there any local or lesser gods? I have heard an Argonian in Morrowind who used « Xuth » as a swearword. Who (or what) is Xuth?

I did notice that amongst the powerful spirits of the Daedra, one is described with argonian features: Molag Bal. Even if you might question the relevance of such details, I’d like to know if you have heard of any ties between this Prince of Oblivion and your deep past. Insofar as I am studying the Old Ways philosophy, any clue would be precious.

Last but not least, some theories argue that Argonia could be the last remaining part of the first appearance of Tamriel, before the age of the ancestors of men and mer. What is your feeling about this?

- Ajaxandriel, son of the Sapiarch of Ethics
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Thal_J
    Thal_J
    ✭✭✭✭
    On behalf of a fellow United Explorers of Scholarly Pursuits member Enderkingdev (Fights-With-Daedra) I have several more questions:

Greetings Jee-Lar,

I have recently had the opportunity to study the Hackwing (at a distance of course). In the past I have seen feathers that supposedly come from these creatures however, there does not seem to be any feathers present on the Hackwings I have seen. It is my hope that you can shed some light on this peculiarity. Additionally, is it possible that Hackwings are related to the Cliff Striders of Vvardenfell?

-- Fights-With-Daedra, Freelance Adventurer

Greetings Jee-Lar,

Often times I hear outsiders claim that we Saxhleel are a slave people, if not to the Dunmer than to the Hist. Some would claim that we are merely drones created only to serve. I fear that my explanations on our relationship with the Hist are inadequate or ignored. Perhaps a notable scholar such as yourself can better explain the relationship between the Saxhleel and the Hist. Hopefully you are able brush away these misconceptions made by outsiders.

Greetings Jee-Lar,

I’ve recently returned to Sadowfen and made my way to one of the Hist trees there. While there I received visions of another place filled with trees on a boggy ground with luminescent films dancing through the air and some form of spire off in the distance. Upon further research it appears that many scholars believe this realm to be the origin of the Hist. I am curious if you might have any further information pertaining to this realm.

Greetings Jee-Lar,

During my recent journey through Shadowfen, I came upon an Ayleid ruin by the name of Gandranen. I found a book within that seems to have been written in another time, and although it vanished from my hands before I could read much of it I did catch a reference to a king in Black Marsh whom the Shadowscales serve. This got me curious if there as ever been kings or queens in the past of the Saxhleel before Duskfall, and the theoretical relation they might have had with the Shadowscales.

• Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello new friend Jee-Lar! This one must say that he truly admires your dedication to restoring Argonian historical artifacts to the proper place, and praises your cunning for even getting an Imperial, the biggest thieves of all, to fund and labor in this pursuit! However!! Men'Do did not come here to wax his scorn over the nusty cultural appropriations of towerfolk. Instead, he wishes to pick your brain on the different topic : relations between friend Saxhleel and their bordering racial communities.

Obviously cats and lizards both must certainly have terrible diplomacy with the slaving Dunmer, but this one is no student of history (like you!!) and hopes you can tell him more detail about the general history between Argonian and Imperial neighbors, and maybe even between Argonian and Khajiit neighbors, when the gross Imperials are not too busy annexing the territory at the mouth of the Nibben to forget that those are cat lands and lizard swamps they steal. Are relationships overall good? Overall horrid?? And if so, how may Khajiit help to improve so that we become fast friends and close allies against invaders and malcontents?

Please to take a thoughtful minute out of your day for Men'Do, and until we meet again, may you wallow in warm muds.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Keyrel
    Keyrel
    Soul Shriven
    To the Jee-Lar,

I am writing this letter for my father as much as for myself. I shall ask his question first, because he’s insisting it’s more important. I don’t see how anything can be more important than food, but he is old and stubborn and blind and cranky, so I’ll let him have his way.

On the topic of Veeskhleel; I know they prefer life in dark places – caves, mostly – and that they have grown pale over the years. Does this dark life affect their eyes in any way? Does strong light hurt their eyes? And what of their spines, are those pale as well? I can’t exactly walk up to one and ask, obviously, so I’m hoping you may know the answer to this question.

And now my own, more important, question!

I’ve seen the stuff some Murkmire Saxhleel eat as ‘food’...is this something I’ll be expected to eat as well, or can I enjoy real food like meat? I’m not too happy with the idea of eating grubs and guts, but these seem to be more popular with our people in Murkmire and I don’t want to upset anyone by not eating offered food. Or, worse, go hungry.

– Stalks-the-Rivers and Hatheil
  • Erethor
    Erethor
    Soul Shriven
    Posted on behalf of Beron, a fellow lore scholar :

To Jee-Lar, Argonian historian,

Few books were written about the past of our neighbors of Black Marsh. I am glad you accept answering our so numerous questions today. But let’s start at the beginning! I know Argonians are divided between “races”, “forms” or “tribes” (I do not know the good word). But are really a Naga and a Behemoth two members of the same People of the Root? What is the name of the form of the common Argonians (I mean the ones we meet out of Black Marsh)? If “Saxhleel” designates every Argonian, it could not be the name of this particular form. I also find some mentions about “Argonian feather-serpents”. As a scholar, I would like know their true name to stop using so hazy names.

Then, are the Archeins, these Argonian slavers, another form of Saxhleel? Or just a tribe of common Argonians? I know many Saxhleel hate slavery—and I understand them, as a true Nibenese!--so why are the other tribes tolerating such a trade? And why does the Hist not stop them? Besides, I do not understand what constitutes the Archeins’ territory. From what I read, they live and catch slaves in Thornmarsh, but the name of “Archeon” makes me believe they founded this city, very farther in the South. Are the Archeins dwelling the whole Eastern coast of Black Marsh, where they built harbors to export their living wares?

More generally, who are (or were) the slavers in Black Marsh? I know of the native Archeins and of the Dunmer of House Dres. But are there other folks practicing slavery in your province? Were the Ayleids, the Lilmothiit, the Cantemiric Velothi, the Akaviri, the Nordic Raiders and even Imperials so many slavers?

At last, a final question: how an Argonian could be historian, if your people has no concept of Time? Moreover, from what sources do you base your work? Mer and Men developed their own writing systems (thanks Ysgramor!). But I do not know any beastfolk—except dragons, but are they really beastfolks?—who created their own writing system. Therefore Black Marsh should not produce texts from the early eras.

I really appreciate the time you spent reading my so many questions (even if you do not really know what is time). I hope you will answer me and prove for all of us Argonian can be social and skilled scholars.

--Leonide Stator, Historian and explorer of the Imperial College-in-exile.
  • AKB
    AKB
    ✭✭
    Most Esteemed Jee-Lar:

My compatriots speak volumes of your learnedness in many areas, and so this Breton writes to humbly beg your assistance. My current studies concern the Dreamsleeve. While it is known to be used by mages as a telepathic "instantaneous messenger" service, if you will, more esoteric texts suggest our very souls are spawned within it, and possibly return there to be reincarnated. However, it is also said the souls of the Saxhleel come from and return to the Hist. My question is thus: is the Hist somehow connected to the Dreamsleeve, or are they similar but separate soul-spawning schema?

A definitive answer is essential to completing my research. I shant bore you with the details, but to be blunt, my work will soon require my death and subsequent reincarnation as an Argonian. But if the Hist is inaccessible to me, this poses quite the hurdle. I simply cannot risk accidentally spending next few years as something like a Sload or a Nord (again). Thus I beg for any insight you can provide into this matter.

Cordially, Echo, Journeyman Numidiumist of the United Explorers of Scholarly Pursuits
  • TaigaStrider
    TaigaStrider
    ✭✭✭
    To the most knowledgeable Jee-Lar,

I find myself incredibly curious about the female Argonian physiology, and I hope that you would be able to answer a few questions that I have. I would presume that you, a great historian of your people, would fetch a great deal of popularity with the women, and be quite experienced in these matters if you catch my meaning. I would also like to let you know that I, in fact, am not curious about this just so I can fulfill ridiculous fantasies. I am just a seeker of knowledge, curious and confused, and unable to find reliable sources on the matter. I know this is a rather mature topic, so I have endeavored to use discretion in my wording.

To put this rather bluntly, and I apologize for doing so, but I know no other way to ask this...why do the womenfolk of your kind have breasts? It seems most unusual for a people that seem so reptilian in their physiology. Are they functional mammaries, and if so, why would Argonian hatchlings be in need of nourishment via milk from their mother, when presumably they get that from outside sources, including but not limited to their tribe's Hist tree?

Secondly, are your kind capable of kissing, in a manner similar to the form exercised by men and mer?

I am aware that your kind is oviparous, but I have also heard rumors that the Saxhleel can be viviparous as well. Are these rumors true, and if so, would you be so kind as to elaborate on the matter? Perhaps you could describe certain tribes which have this trait, or environmental conditions that cause this?

I am relatively ignorant on all of these matters, and your knowledge would be most appreciated. I wait with great anticipation for your response, as your women continue to prove themselves a most fascinating enigma.

Respectfully,

Quentin Louvain, Apprentice of the Mages Guild
    Edited by TaigaStrider on October 12, 2018 12:59AM
    In-Game Username - @WanderMyst
    EP Roleplayer
    Primary RP Guild: House Tavari

Nahrani - Khajiit - Melancholic and Conservative Dres Slave
    Hugs-Like-Steel - Argonian - Dres Hireling & Ex-Telvanni Battlemage with Power Issues
    Xul-Deelith - Argonian - Fate-Cursed Archein & Dres Vanguard
    Tarvyn Verelnim - Dunmer - Idealistic Imperial City Survivor & Indoril Mercenary
    Shanji Marsh-Boots - Khajiit - Marsh-Rot-Afflicted Former AD Vanguard in Operation Merciful Reduction
    Ja'Khari - Khajiit - Child-Prodigy Marsh Cartographer & Information Broker
    Nelanwen the Raven - Altmer - Narcissistic Former AD Sentry in Operation Merciful Reduction
    Twendil - Altmer - Former AD Shiphand in Operation Merciful Reduction & Shanty-Singing Operator of the Happy Hulkynd
    Cotter Georick - Breton - Simple-Minded Miner
    Celsus Scotti - Imperial - Overweight, Embezzling, Pacifistic, Alteration-Casting Imperial Geographical Society Member
    Mouse - Khajiit - Former AD Assassin in Operation Merciful Reduction & Skooma-Addicted Beggar
    Parvus Viro - Imperial/Bosmer - A Very Short Resolute of Stendarr and Apologist of Man

"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible." - Farengar Secret-Fire