The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I made a char for playiing and crafting - and then today found out Orcs get a 10% bonus to crafting

Petoften
Petoften
✭✭✭
That's an awfully big penalty to any non-Orc being the main crafter, isn't it? It leads me to consider scrapping the first crafter and restarting the Orc to craft. Annoying.
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My grand Master crafter is a Nord.

I actually have 14 characters that are maxed in alchemy, blacksmithing, clothing, provisioning and wood working. None of them are Orc. An orc may get there faster but reaching 50 in the skills is not the real time sink. Research takes a lot longer and chasing down motif pages takes forever unless you buy quite a few.

Enchanting takes a long time also. I only have 4 characters that have reached 50. And I have been a sub for most of the three plus years I have been paying.

Anyway, you can totally get all the crafting skills to 50 on any race before you get to nine traits in everything.

Edited because that first sentence probably wasn't very helpful by itself.
    Edited by EvilAutoTech on September 30, 2018 4:51AM
  • Pink_Violinz
    Pink_Violinz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No? A maxed Orc will be exactly the same as a maxed Breton. It only changes how fast the skills level, not the quality of the item crafted.
  • Beavisaur13
    Beavisaur13
    ✭✭✭
    It's only 10% towards leveling a profession it's not that big a deal.
  • Petoften
    Petoften
    ✭✭✭
    No? A maxed Orc will be exactly the same as a maxed Breton. It only changes how fast the skills level, not the quality of the item crafted.

Oh, I understand that.

But a 10% slower rate to level it seems huge.
  • TempPlayer
    TempPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 10% is just inspiration gain. As a crafter, you will spend most of the time researching traits, which is not affected by that 10%.
    A CP 160 item with intricate trait usually cost around 200 gold (except jewelry) in guild store. You can level your crafting skill line pretty quick by buying those.
    All in all, you are not missing much by using other race as crafter.
  • skyfiredraco
    skyfiredraco
    ✭✭✭
    eh... the leveling time is nothing compared to the research times

my crafter alt is a wood elf nightblade... simply because she was my first character ever and i eventually repurposed her to a crafting alt when i started branching out.

once you get a max level character, power leveling a profession isn't to bad.

But there is no way in hell i'm re-do'ing 6-8 traits of research on basically everything lol.

Don't stress 10% leveling speed. It isn't a big deal in the long run.
    PS4 / NA
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only real benefit an Orc has over the other races once your skills are maxed out is the speed at which you're able to run between stations and the bank.
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
  • Petoften
    Petoften
    ✭✭✭
    OK - but that's the 'once your skills are maxed' situation; I'm basically new and spent a day getting one char started on crafting, so now is the time to switch if I should.
  • xericdx
    xericdx
    ✭✭✭
    Agree on was said above. I also have several chars maxed out in crafting and did not even notice that one was a orc.

However, as you say, if you just started and you prefer a faster leveling, indeed create a new one :). It's your char in the end !
    Characters
    Primo Aldouine (MagSorc), AD
    Kro'zuc Primo (StamDK), AD
    Primo Leyla, MagDK, DC
    Primo Salazar (MagPlar), AD
    Leyla Softpawn (StamBade), AD
    Shaz Primo (MagBlade), AD
    Marcus Primo (MagDen), EP
    Elonthor Primo (StamDen), AD
    The Red, MagNecro, AD

You like housing?! We have the place for you: Tamriel Homes Guild! Contact me for info (in-game ID @xericdx) or visit our website https://tamrielhomes.com/
    PC EU
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completely irrelevant. You'll quickly reach max crafting level with any race, and then they're all the same.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on September 30, 2018 6:05AM
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If anything scrap it if it isnt Imperial so you get the expensive racial motif free.

I really would make your main your main crafter though. Otherwise you will be missing out on all the crafting achievements on your main, unless you want to spend several millions gold extra learning motiffs on both.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Petoften wrote: »

Oh, I understand that.

In my experience it's not too bad. The key to leveling crafting is consigning yourself to the grind and getting it over with as quickly as possible. Though it sounds like you already have a maxed crafter sooooo don't worry too much about it I guess? Unless you're trying to get more than one done, naturally. If you're trying to get your whole account leveled in crafting, I highly recommend
    1. getting all of them to level 50 first
    2. doing writs every day and sending all the reward gear to one character at a time for deconstruction until they're 50 in all the relevant things

It levels so fast that way and just feeds and feeds into itself.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an awfully big penalty to any non-Orc being the main crafter, isn't it? It leads me to consider scrapping the first crafter and restarting the Orc to craft. Annoying.
    The bonus is for -advancement- only!

Meaning orcs will get there faster, but everyone else will get just as far.

So, really no big deal. Since the "getting to crafting-50" is the least of it anyhow... your crafter will spend -way- more time on trait research then maxing their crafting skill lines... daily crafting quests will take you there without any troubles, really (heck, for the gear crafting, even deconstruction will get you the distance en passant...).
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main crafter is an Altmer and gets bonus exp from all crafting writ turn-ins. He's also the only surviving member of my original group of characters from the games release, when each character had a craft and an inventory half full of mats and researchable items.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And it only affects inspiration which leveling up any crafting is pretty easy. It is research that is time consuming.
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, if any race really matters for crafting at all, it is the Imperial.

You see, your character knows their racial motif by default, but has to obtain all the others. All basic racial motif books are common blue drops and can usually be bought quite cheap in the guild stores. The Imperial motif book is a golden item, not really a common drop, often costing between 50 and 70 thousand gold in the guild stores.

By choosing the Imperial, given that you have access to the race, you eliminate the cost of the Imperial motif.
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • Petoften
    Petoften
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I need to go learn about traits and research. I saw some traits I think found when I made items.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watchdog wrote: »
    In my opinion, if any race really matters for crafting at all, it is the Imperial.

You see, your character knows their racial motif by default, but has to obtain all the others. All basic racial motif books are common blue drops and can usually be bought quite cheap in the guild stores. The Imperial motif book is a golden item, not really a common drop, often costing between 50 and 70 thousand gold in the guild stores.

By choosing the Imperial, given that you have access to the race, you eliminate the cost of the Imperial motif.

This is true and race change does not fix this.
  • Leocaran
    Leocaran
    ✭✭✭
    daily crafting quests will take you there without any troubles, really (heck, for the gear crafting, even deconstruction will get you the distance en passant...).
    Provisioning levels very-very slow on crafting writs. Alchemy and Enchanting not so fast too.
  • StamWhipCultist
    StamWhipCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has zero influence once you lvl crafts to 50.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually found researching traits took about as long as getting the craft to level 50. On woodworking I had all traits, including nirnhoned researched before I got to level 50. In clothing and blacksmithing I was just starting nirnhoned when I got to 50. But then I wasn't doing anything to "power level" it - just deconstructing items I found and didn't need and doing writs when I had enough materials.

But I agree that a 10% increase doesn't make a big difference. If there's no other factors which affect your race choice then go for it, but I wouldn't delete and remake a crafter for it.

I made my crafter an Imperial so I didn't have to buy the motif. Which is also something you can go without but I'm glad I did because I like the motif.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, I understand that.

STOP THAT!

STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!

The standard is X. Orcs get a bonus. Don’t spin that around to pretend that’s the standard.

Nord, redguard, argonian, khajiit, Breton, imperial, dunmer, altmer, bosmer, ARE NOT PENALIZED.

The other 9 races are at the standard. Orcs excel.

Other races have their areas of excellence with alliance point gain, or gold gain.

Xbox NA
  • Imperial_Voice
    Imperial_Voice
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, I understand that.

Considering the length of time it takes to get the traits? 10% aint nothing when it comes to just leveling
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Oh, I understand that.

Some crafts, like alchemy and provisioning, can be leveled up to 50 in a couple of hours, provided you have enough materials of course.
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speed of craft skill line progression is nothing.
    Literally.
    The main time spenders there is traits research and it is not affected by anything, but only ESO+ (+10%) and crafting passives (up to 30%)
    So don't worry.

The best way to lvlup your gear crafting is not crafting, but ... decon lots of cp160 items, especially with Inspired trait on them

So, if you want to create crafter, I would recommend to create Imperial character, if you have access to this race sure, because Imperial crafting motif is pretty expensive (80k+ on PC EU), while other races basic motifs costs absolutely nothing (below 100g per each or even for free - sometimes someone giving them away)
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main toon is my crafter at a certain point you will enough skill points to do all crafting on a toon you play. But if that’s the way you want to go I would go Imperial for the race.
    Imperial book are still rare and expensive all the other playable race styles are dirt cheap to buy. Free in zone chat if you ask, someone is always finding one they were just going to vendor cause it not worth selling. This will get you to all the styles faster and a lot cheaper.
    Been playing for four year I just found my first Imperial style book months ago. One book found in four years granted I’m not a farmer but I farm in Cyrodiil when the map is dead four years man.
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Profession leveling speed is trivial compared to the real time sink which is profession research time for the 4 professions that have trait research. And for all of them, harvesting materials is also a much longer grind than advancing the profession.

A clue to where the real grind is can be found in the crown store: they sell trait research speed-up scrolls but no profession advancement speed-up scrolls :)

The Orc's advantage is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
    Edited by Iselin on September 30, 2018 3:35PM
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also get an inspiration bonus from CP. Must suck that everyone who spends their CP differently (or doesn't have enough yet) is 'penalized' at crafting.

No, wait. It's a minor thing, and it's not a 'penalty'.

I've done crafting on plenty of characters, have never made an Orc. (Honestly, I barely pay attention to racial bonuses. I make characters I like. /shrug)

Hmm, does ESO+ give an inspiration bonus, too? Or is it just XP?
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can also get an inspiration bonus from CP. Must suck that everyone who spends their CP differently (or doesn't have enough yet) is 'penalized' at crafting.

No, wait. It's a minor thing, and it's not a 'penalty'.

I've done crafting on plenty of characters, have never made an Orc. (Honestly, I barely pay attention to racial bonuses. I make characters I like. /shrug)

Hmm, does ESO+ give an inspiration bonus, too? Or is it just XP?

ESO+ gives a research time bonus. That is not insignificant when you're researching your 8th or 9th trait.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You dont have to scape your toon just respec to an orc. They have a run spped bonus also helps with tra el time between nodes.