The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Simple poll: Do you think ZOS will revert shields cast time after massive negative feedback?

• Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    They might reduce the cast time, take it down to 1/2 second or something similar, but they won’t get rid of it.
  • Kolache
    Kolache
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I think it was their plan all along to avoid push back on the other ways they were nerfed :)
    Something being unbalanced in 1v1 does not imply that it is balanced in group play.
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Same as the Morrowind sustain nerf.
  • Lorkhan
    Lorkhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Cast time was too much zos. I feel bad for all the time i asked #nerfshields.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I tought they would tbh. But not anymore

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Of course they wont. They have too much Ego.
    PC-NA
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I think they're going to collect data after it goes live to see what affect it has on the masses outside of the panic infused pre-release forum environment.
    Edited by srfrogg23 on September 25, 2018 3:50PM
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    They should, but considering they haven't even listened to class rep feedback, I doubt they will.
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    srfrogg23 wrote: »
    I think they're going to collect data after it goes live to see what affect it has on the masses outside of the panic infused pre-release forum environment.

I think they will, the issue is when.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No

It's possible that they'll re-approach it after release. Game balance seems like a never ending process. I dont see it happening before the change goes live, though.

Knee-jerk reactions dont make for good metrics.

Having a passionate and vocal player base on the forums is great, but that is a perceptibly small portion of players and isn't always a good indication of how things will truly pan out. I'm expecting that they'll check back a few weeks afterwards for more feedback. Mainly to see if the change was substantial enough to get the non-forum-lurkers to come make posts about it in any substantial numbers.

If they get a massive amount of backlash a month after implementation, then they'll probably consider reconsidering.
    Edited by srfrogg23 on September 25, 2018 4:24PM
  • WhipSmartMcoy
    WhipSmartMcoy
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I lost count of how many times we've been promised "next pts cycle" or "next update".

They can say whatever they want, I won't believe it till I see it.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Bahahahahaha! 82% no vote at this stage :lol:
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    No way. You’ve all seen them dig in already with making it un interrupt. It here to stay. There will be cast time.
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Rungar wrote: »
    i think its a good change but i would have done it differently.

first i would of increased the price to 6.5kish
    secondly i would of added a 50%mag regen debuff called shield charge for 3 seconds
    thirdly i would of made the shield a hot over three seconds so you get 25% instantly and 25% every second for 3 seconds
    lastly i would of made the duration still 6 seconds but add the charge time so 9 seconds total.
    instant cast.

that is balanced for mag based shields imo.

Spotted someone who doesn't know how to play the game and doesn't know how much this would ruin shields (hint: About as much as the current changes)
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No

It's possible that they'll re-approach it after release. Game balance seems like a never ending process. I dont see it happening before the change goes live, though.

Having a passionate and vocal player base on the forums is great, but that is a perceptibly small portion of players and isn't always a good indication of how things will truly pan out. I'm expecting that they'll check back a few weeks afterwards for more feedback. Mainly to see if the change was substantial enough to get the non-forum-lurkers to come make posts about it in any substantial numbers.

If they get a massive amount of backlash a month after implementation, then they'll probably consider reconsidering.

Anyone with a brain can see that these are objectively bad changes. There shouldn't even need to BE a "wait and see" for this kind of thing.
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS failed to take into account poor server performance in pvp for this change. Just about every ability with a cast time during prime time is complete garbage.
    Edited by Haashhtaag on September 25, 2018 4:54PM
  • ramasurinenpreub18_ESO
    No
    It's the most poorly thought out nerf I've seen in this game so far, and I've seen some pretty terrible ones since beta. It's nearly the last nail in the coffin for the identity of mag sorcs, stam ones having never really had an identity to start with.

It's also resulting in the greatest number of locked forum threads per day I've ever seen over a nerf, which should tell them something.

They won't listen though. They're going to push this nonsense through, to the detriment of all mag classes, and annoy at least 50% of the player base. The forum chaos will get much worse the first day it goes live as well, when everyone else shows up to complain. Unless they plan to re-balance 90% of end game content, which was originally created around instant cast shields, especially the recent trials and dungeons, then it's going to suck a lot of fun out of the game. If the majority of incoming damage in endgame wasn't equivalent to the average health bar, or was more damage over time focused, it would be fine. Unfortunately, in the current environment of instant one-shot death around every corner, it's hopeless. Not sure if I'll continue to play if it goes live. Almost being killed is fun, and teaches you to play better. Being killed over and over and over simply leads to rage quits.

I've been in their shoes, from a development standpoint, where my customers wanted a significant change to a software product, but it was one that would have turned it into little more than an interactive screen saver at times, and went entirely against my vision for it. I resisted, and refused to make the change to the base product, but eventually showed them how to make the change themselves if they so desired.

ZOS has no such option.
    Edited by ramasurinenpreub18_ESO on September 25, 2018 5:31PM
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    They have already gone back by half. Kept the cast time and made it non-interruptible. It is a small step from there to keep the other crit type shield changes and remove the cast time which I think is the best compromise between ZOS and players.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    They don't care about their player base.

I want someone to explain to me why my magsorc with stacked shields with instant casts, 45K magicka, CP1010, and some of the most recommended gear sets in-game, yet I still get melted, and do minimum damage. Makes me believe that shields are NOT the problem, and devs are focused too much on enabling already over-powered builds or cheaters.
  • RedRook
    RedRook
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Too much pride to admit a mistake. We've seen this all before.
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, it'll go live without the non-interuptable change from the PTS, take a week for them to apply the fix and shields with the added cast time will be permanently buggy from then on.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Valrien wrote: »

Anyone with a brain can see that these are objectively bad changes. There shouldn't even need to BE a "wait and see" for this kind of thing.

Sentiments like that are exactly why they are going to wait and see. The patch hasn't even been implemented and you've already decided it's a game breaker without seeing how it works with everything else in practice.

It's 1 second and now non-interruptable. Do you have any idea how many people there are out there that complain about this game being too easy? How many play sorcs because they're considered OP and easy mode?

If you've been paying any attention at all, you'd have to know they were eventually going to start addressing things like shield stacking with unbalanced builds. Now you have to plan ahead and choose your next action carefully.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No reason to unless enough people unsub.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I don't think they will revert it entirely, but probably go for some middle ground. They will likely change it to 0.5 or 0.75 sec cast time or whatever, trying to please everyone, while still not dropping the idea.

Think it's to much developer ego going on at this point and they're just to fixated on this assumptions, that LA builds are somehow really tanky while doing crazy dmg.

Sure, maybe magsorc on live overperforms solo&small scale slightly, compare to lesser builds. But all these changes will turn them into free AP. It's also a nerf to all LA magicka, including those that aren't anyway near to strong compared to stamina meta builds.

It's even a big nerf to poor magdens, that's objectively weak as hell.
  • Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    For sure some shield changes will go live. The cast time will likely be modified or removed though.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Thrain wrote: »
    Maybe they make them not interruptable after 2 month but thats all i guess^^
    They are immune to interrupts.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/437341/stop-kvetching-pts2-shields-immune-to-interrupts/

I agree with everyone here that they are too PROUD to make a change. And my healer will be out of rotation because of it.
    Edited by max_only on September 25, 2018 5:28PM
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • humpalicous
    humpalicous
    ✭✭✭
    No
    They probably won't since they got rid of the interrupt mechanic but kept the cast time. It's a shame that they are too blind to see the issue here, they will lose a LOT of players this patch, which is not fun for anyone.

No average player rocking a mag-build will ever be accepted into a vet trial or vet dlc dungeon, vma will be even worse and the overall gameplay will be clunky and just plain bad.

But hey, gratz to those with Stamplars and Stamblades!
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Valrien wrote: »

Sentiments like that are exactly why they are going to wait and see. The patch hasn't even been implemented and you've already decided it's a game breaker without seeing how it works with everything else in practice.

It's 1 second and now non-interruptable. Do you have any idea how many people there are out there that complain about this game being too easy? How many play sorcs because they're considered OP and easy mode?

If you've been paying any attention at all, you'd have to know they were eventually going to start addressing things like shield stacking with unbalanced builds. Now you have to plan ahead and choose your next action carefully.

And it's people like you who made these changes happen in the first place.

With even the slightest amount of knowledge of PvP, youd know that shield nerfs of any kind are highly unnecessary because they are already easy to break and have multiple hard counters.

Youd also know that "planning ahead and choosing your next action carefully" doesn't apply when you're dead because you're getting hit while applying your paper-thin shield.

I'd tell you to get a better perspective of the game but I'm not allowed to say that
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Gonna go with no. Only played EQ1 (for 10+ years) and eso but based on my limited exp (monk nerf!) They don't change their mind on their game "you don't have to be here"..... 😏
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Partially