The maintenance is complete and the PTS is now back online. The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test!
The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Pirate skeleton and wards

Irylia
Irylia
✭✭✭✭✭
Should pirate skeleton now be able to proc on a ward taking damage now that wards will be vulnerable to crits and resistance? Initially it was proc’ing over a sorcerers wards but then a patch changed that from happening because of said crit nullification.

Is it time to revert this change?

Yes or no and why?
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the set has been made more useful already for shield-users, given that:

a) Shield uptime can't be 100% anymore - and resist have to be factored into builds to allow some unshielded survival time.
    b) It nicely adds to those resists.

That said, I'm leaning towards having it proc on wards now given the sacrifices you now need to make to both build for them and cast them.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • IAVITNI
    IAVITNI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and no. From a purely mechanical perspective, yes Pirate Skeleton should proc on shields. With the new changes, Shields will behave very similar if not exactly the same as Health (although I am unsure if Penetration actually affects shields as I have not seen it explicitly stated anywhere). While shields cannot crit themselves, they are immune to Defile so there is some trade off. Not a trade-off that is actually balanced, but there's trade-off.

Considering the overall ESO community and affects on class health (both current and potential) I would say no. People will complain about the aforementioned interaction with Defile and ZoS will probably revert the buff and nerf Light Armor movement speed to compensate.

The only way I could see it fully justified is if Pirate Skeleton also reduced Shield size (on subsequent casts, not current shields) by 5%-10%. The number should be smaller than Minor Defile since players cannot stack shields in the same way HoTs can stack and because, again, shields cannot crit.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    I think the set has been made more useful already for shield-users, given that:

a) Shield uptime can't be 100% anymore - and resist have to be factored into builds to allow some unshielded survival time.
    b) It nicely adds to those resists.

That said, I'm leaning towards having it proc on wards now given the sacrifices you now need to make to both build for them and cast them.

I agree it should be changed since it always gives minor defile with a proc chance messing with the uptime.

With shields unable to crit it's own value but subject to crits themselves, PS should proc off shield values again.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe,

the sets too strong as it is at the moment though and needs a nerf before we have 30k armour templar proc pirate skeleton then throw on a 15k ward in pvp.

Then they could sit there and not do anything for 4s before they decide to heal to full with a breath.

So until they nerf it then no.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe,

the sets too strong as it is at the moment though and needs a nerf before we have 30k armour templar proc pirate skeleton then throw on a 15k ward in pvp.

Then they could sit there and not do anything for 4s before they decide to heal to full with a breath.

That ship has sailed now that templar gets MP off empowering sweeps with everyone else getting it off blade cloak weapons.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irylia wrote: »
    Should pirate skeleton now be able to proc on a ward taking damage now that wards will be vulnerable to crits and resistance? Initially it was proc’ing over a sorcerers wards but then a patch changed that from happening because of said crit nullification.

Is it time to revert this change?

Yes or no and why?

It should. Given the cast time and crit on shields I think it's only fair we get to maximize the full shield potential.
  • Zelos
    Zelos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares games ded, devs just like to extend the 6 feet more and more
    Aeonhack - AD Stamina Nightblade - 5 Star General

CP1200

Creator and user of "Questionable" addons and game mechanics.
  • PathwayM
    PathwayM
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think this would be a fine change because of the increased average damage to shields. You would ultimately sacrifice another monster set for an imperfect uptime to return shields back to their average strength pre-murkmire.

Here's some related info about shield strength in murkmire: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/437754/math-warning-thoughts-findings-regarding-shield-spell-physical-critical-resist#latest
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe,

Seriously? Now Pirate Skeleton is "too strong"? Something players could do, ever since Pirate Skeleton was released?

ZOS is giving away major protection like candy these days. You can get it so many places, so frequently, Pirate Skeleton is out-dated. Thinking about it, might need to re-look at the Jorvuld's Guidance Set.

Templar's actually got nerfed. Prior to PTS they could also keep minor protection 100% of the time, plus 19% from empowering sweep, plus Pirate Skeleton, around 47% raw mitigation if everything lined up.
    Edited by katorga on September 25, 2018 8:28PM
  • sneakymitchell
    sneakymitchell
    ✭✭✭✭
    2 words use iceheart. Rarely see players use that. Even if it ain’t 20k shields some sorcs have but at least it’s something
    Edited by sneakymitchell on September 26, 2018 12:56AM
    NA-Xbox one- Ebonheart Pact- Nord Tank DK
    PC-NA Ebonheart Pact Nord Stam Templar
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    Maybe,

That ship has sailed now that templar gets MP off empowering sweeps with everyone else getting it off blade cloak weapons.

Pretty sure most magplars are still going to use remembrance over the new sweep as a defensive ult, much more useful to the group, pretty much means you'll live until the 4s are over as well.

In regards to the new dw weps, 3s per cast sucks. How expensive is blade cloak? You really think everyones is going to be spamming this for 100% uptime? 3k every 15s for 3s of major protection?

Running pirate skeleton as a 2 piece set over the 2 piece blackrose dw is much more powerful.

3k armour = 5% mitigation.
    12s uptime and 15s cd. the 15% defile is negliable.
    6% proc chance off any dmg means very high uptime.
    The MP buff doesn't cost any resources.

Vs
    3k resources for 3s MP
    129 regen vs 5% mitigation.
    15s blade cloak uptime

Pirate skeleton > Blackrose dw by far.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • waitwhat
    waitwhat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By proccing of shields you mean if the shield--and only the shield--takes damage, right?

We'll see what happens to shields with the patch notes, but I don't think we're going to have many scenarios where the shield absorbs all incoming damage anymore, so you'll probably get the proc from the set much more frequently anyway.
    PS4 NA AD ScourgeVivec Loading Screen Simulator 2017
    Khajiit stamblade main - Walking the Two-Moons Path and robbing cute Breton boys.
    Breton magplar vet Trial Healer - Promoting wellness through self-reflection.
    Argonian Tripot DK Cyrodiil Tank - One with the Hist and guarding cute Breton boys.
    Altmer magsorc PvE DPS - Scamp tramp and unrepentant lush.

"30s to eval"
    "Read the ******* lorebook."
  • Irylia
    Irylia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes proc off shields
    Proc’ing more often because wards down more isn’t a good enough point. I don’t want to put myself into that position to take damage before I ward. And if I’m actively trying to prevent it then my wards will be cast more frequently
  • JPcrazysquirrel3
    JPcrazysquirrel3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I have no shields on my magplar and was wearing Wizard's Riposte (on both bars, mind you) and Pirate Skeleton, but found that I could reliably wear Skoria instead and still do relatively well, survivability-wise, depending on the enemies I was up against. That only lasted a whole whopping month.

Then, ZOS, in their infinite wisdom, decided to nerf Wizard's Riposte, and so I switched back to running Pirate Skeleton full time. Still no shields, because my build doesn't really have room for it. And to make up for the lack of Wizard's, as well as the DPS from Skoria, I started running heavy Sloads out of spite.

I hate to have to run Sloads, but that's currently where things are at right now and the closest way for me to maintain the integrity of the original build.

So, I guess, my stance on changing Pirate Skeleton to reflect this shield fiasco, would be that I wouldn't really want anything with the set to change, because it is fine as it is and has been.
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
    "It's just not a home until you decorate the torture chamber, am I right?"
    "If you want to lose 10lbs of ugly fat, I'd be happy to chop your head off!"
    "Degenerates!" --- Todd Howard
    "If it's not broke, don't fix it,....unless you're ZO$ and are just doing it for the money!" --- Me
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Class reps are just like our politicians. They promise mountains made of gold for us, but in the end, whenever they can they try to push their own agenda.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bio:
    I am in a Kevduit video
    PS4 (main platform)
    --- JP_Dovahkriid

PC (just for PTS since Dragon Bones)
    --- JP_Dovahkriid

Playing since console release in 2015

17 characters; mainly play PvE tanks and healer, as well as PvP stamDK, magplar, and stamblade; I also have a handful of DPS toons to have variety. All AD, with one, now PvE, DC toon.

I was on the forums before, but something happened with my account info and I had to create a new account.
  • Irylia
    Irylia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I have no shields on my magplar and was wearing Wizard's Riposte (on both bars, mind you) and Pirate Skeleton, but found that I could reliably wear Skoria instead and still do relatively well, survivability-wise, depending on the enemies I was up against. That only lasted a whole whopping month.

Then, ZOS, in their infinite wisdom, decided to nerf Wizard's Riposte, and so I switched back to running Pirate Skeleton full time. Still no shields, because my build doesn't really have room for it. And to make up for the lack of Wizard's, as well as the DPS from Skoria, I started running heavy Sloads out of spite.

I hate to have to run Sloads, but that's currently where things are at right now and the closest way for me to maintain the integrity of the original build.

So, I guess, my stance on changing Pirate Skeleton to reflect this shield fiasco, would be that I wouldn't really want anything with the set to change, because it is fine as it is and has been.

It wouldn't change for you or non shield users. It would simply allow shield users who can be crit on to proc the 2x for major protection.
    especially now that wards are capped to 40% of max hp
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, this never should have been nerfed in the first place. And it's not overpowered, I kill guys wearing this set all the time.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE