The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

SORCS: Take a Deep Breath

• EPelite
    EPelite
    ✭✭✭
    Hutch679 wrote: »
    Hutch679 wrote: »
    @brandonv516 can you believe how bad they rekt light armor? Lmao! The devs have no clue what they are doing.

Medium armor users received a urine odor-smelling attempt to changes.

Light armor users got straight pissed on.

:neutral:

Its gonna be all heavy stamina here on out. Guarentee it.

already is... smack on heavy go stam build and why the hell not..... smack on 3 swift. now you can out heal out tank out dps and out run anyone.... great *** work ZOS... i cant even state how stupid this game has become..

but I guess we just have to do what the retarts do... zerg up and run your head in to a wall and die......
  • CaliMade
    CaliMade
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skoomah wrote: »
    Developer Comment:
    Spoiler
    Damage shields are very powerful because they can be used to instantly reduce incoming damage, and allow the user to stack offensive stats while also being very difficult to kill. Adding a cast time and increasing the duration makes this an ability to use proactively before damage happens, or at opportune times during combat.

Sounds like a well thought out explanation for the change.

Not at all.

Everyone stacks defensive stats while increasing offence because heals scale with dmg.

Whats the difference between a mag sorc shielding at 20% hp and a magplar holding block at 20% and healing 12k?
    The mag sorc still gets bonus dmg from executes and spends much more magicka recovering.

It's a stupid change by a clueless combat team.

magplar cant streak
    magplar probably has a 40%+ heal debuff on him
    Magplar doesn’t have a good cc
    magplar heal will only be 12k+ on crit while that sheild will ALWAYS come out 12k+
    Magplars wasting stamina blocking so they probably cant roll dodge or break free if cc’d
    XB1 GT- Cali Made

Praetorian Stam DK Redguard

Brigadier Stam/magblade (whatever i feel like running) Redguard

Major Mag DK Dark Elf

lieutenant Mag/stamplar (whatever i feel like running) Redguard
  • WhipSmartMcoy
    WhipSmartMcoy
    ✭✭✭
    If LA Dks and Templars and magblades can do it then so can sorcs!

Oh wait.. We don't have BoL, or purify, or repentance, or coagolating blood, or wings, or volatile armor, or swallow soul, or cloak.

Sorcs do not have hots, and their burst heal is a double barred and preventable heal. People complain about shield stacking but sorcs only shiled stack because there's nothing else to keep them alive.

Also I know the change affect all Light builds so yeah no need to reiterate my point still stands.
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    acw37162 wrote: »
    Considering Alcast just beat veteran Black Rose Prison in the first day on test with a mag sorc and he forgot his food buff for the last half of the last fight. I’m thinking there might be a rather large overreaction contention in the forums echo chamber.

And I have a mag sorc and I didn’t unsubscribe over this round of patch notes.

The crown crates, home prices, and revenue streaming motifs set up to be a ridiculous grind only a small portion of the game can even complete, yeah they are getting closer there.

Alcast is one of the best pve players in the game.

Also arena types aren't particularly hard, vet trials are much harder.

No he's not...He's one of the better players that has a platform to push lazy sub-par builds...that he doesn't even use in end-game...
  • Heymexa
    Heymexa
    ✭✭✭
    Sorcs still have incredible time delayed high damage. Sorcs still have incredible mobility with streak and control with runes and mines. The changes to overload allow for all sorts of new and interesting playstyles.

Yes. You can still use shields for mitigation. You just need to pick your spots. You won’t be able to shield stack at will AND apply massive damage at the same time. You either pick to be on offensive rotation OR defensive rotation.

Sorcs are still strong and very good in pvp AND pve. Take a deep breath.

2Wrobel. Re-login please.
    Edited by Heymexa on September 18, 2018 1:12PM
  • SenorCrouch
    SenorCrouch
    ✭✭✭
    I took a breath, and within the second I took that breath the trial boss downed me. Can I get a rez?
    Edited by SenorCrouch on September 18, 2018 1:40PM
    "What's the cross roads of Alessia Castle? I am trying to get pizza delivered."
  • Barbaran
    Barbaran
    ✭✭✭✭
    Someone who doesn't use a shield build clearly.
    Let's use a mag warden as an example. Only 1 shield. If you use dampen and stack mag to 50kish it's a 10k shield in PvP. If you are fighting even ONLY 2 nighblade, that's 1 surprise attack each and it's gone.
    And now it's also critable, how is a 1 shield build supposed to survive with a cast timer as well now?
    Adding a 9 sec duration does nothing when the damage in this game is so incredibly high now, Shields break rather easy
  • CaliMade
    CaliMade
    ✭✭✭✭
    Barbaran wrote: »
    Someone who doesn't use a shield build clearly.
    Let's use a mag warden as an example. Only 1 shield. If you use dampen and stack mag to 50kish it's a 10k shield in PvP. If you are fighting even ONLY 2 nighblade, that's 1 surprise attack each and it's gone.
    And now it's also critable, how is a 1 shield build supposed to survive with a cast timer as well now?
    Adding a 9 sec duration does nothing when the damage in this game is so incredibly high now, Shields break rather easy

that sheild now will be effected by crit resist and mitigation if you run around 19-20k physical resist and 2500-3k crit resist those suprise attacks will only be 3-4k
    Edited by CaliMade on September 18, 2018 2:11PM
    XB1 GT- Cali Made

Praetorian Stam DK Redguard

Brigadier Stam/magblade (whatever i feel like running) Redguard

Major Mag DK Dark Elf

lieutenant Mag/stamplar (whatever i feel like running) Redguard
  • aeowulf
    aeowulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drummerx04 wrote: »
    Great, so a NB hits me from stealth taking out over half my health and I can't even shield up to defend myself. I really hate that the forums are moderated. Your idiocy is astounding.

So i don't necessarily disagree with this, but I want to play devils advocate here.

I've had some time to think about this and it's your choice to have your chosen health/not wear impen/equip the sets you did. Maybe trying a more balanced approach to DPS & survivability is a better route? I don't know your play style, so only you know how to answer this.

Shields have been a way for some players to gain high offence with a strong defence. There should always be balance. I think Zos want people to move away from these and actually think about what they wear. Maybe it's time all classes thought more about their survivability, put more in to health, or picked a more defensive set, whilst reserving DPS only sets for skeleton parses. I for one would like to see more variety in ESO, it's been too easy to predict which sets are the best without taking into consideration the humans behind the toon, or their PC or their connection.

ESO has a lot to do with perception, and I'd love to see this change reverted. As a tank I can see it affecting my DK - I probably won't be casting igneous anymore, or at least cutting down on it's gratuitous every few seconds usage, which will hurt the survivability of my group and my stamina sustain. My NB tank is gonna get hurt too, bye bye bone wall (and tava's) - but I will adapt, the ebon writing was always on the wall for him anyway.

Who knows, maybe shield cast speed reduction is coming to a set next expansion. I think it was lucky - I could also of seen ZoS making all shields scale from health (as that is the stat they 'protect')

A change to shields I think was long overdue - it should of been done with 1T, as should the Morrowind sustain changes. All that is going to happen is more people will stop playing, especially those somewhere around the skill level of just completing vMA.
    Edited by aeowulf on September 18, 2018 2:08PM
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcs still have incredible time delayed high damage. Sorcs still have incredible mobility with streak and control with runes and mines. The changes to overload allow for all sorts of new and interesting playstyles.

Yes. You can still use shields for mitigation. You just need to pick your spots. You won’t be able to shield stack at will AND apply massive damage at the same time. You either pick to be on offensive rotation OR defensive rotation.

Wroebel? At least log in to your actual forum account man. Come on.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think this is the best way to deal with shields, because I don't like cast times. But it's ridiculous how every time something is proposed that hurts Sorcs they just flood the forum with wailing and whining.
    I mean, just look at the size of the Sorc Feedback/Tantrum thread.
    Edited by Sandman929 on September 18, 2018 2:36PM
  • aeowulf
    aeowulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grannas211 wrote: »

Wroebel? At least log in to your actual forum account man. Come on.

Not seen him doing much recently - was prob why sorcs were not protected from the nerf bat this time round :P am obv. joking :D
    Edited by aeowulf on September 18, 2018 3:58PM
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandman929 wrote: »
    I don't think this is the best way to deal with shields, because I don't like cast times. But it's ridiculous how every time something is proposed that hurts Sorcs they just flood the forum with wailing and whining.
    I mean, just look at the size of the Sorc Feedback/Tantrum thread.

So what do expect us to do? Say everything is just dandy?
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Dreyloch
    Dreyloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Shields were meant to be the "OMG I'm taking spike dmg!!!" Reactionary counter. That becomes impossible with a cast time. So no, I will not relax. Its a horrible change. If you PvP OP, then get ready for a negate-less Cyrodiil. Because every sorc in their right mind will shelve their toons if this goes live. Have fun with those ball groups! As you will have little to no means of stopping them.
    "The fear of Death, is often worse than death itself"
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even play sorcerer. Yet I'm unable to "take a deep breath" and pretend it's fine. I feel genuinely bad for them. If I actually played sorc as main I'd be infuriated at this point and about to uninstall the game lol.

The change to Annulment screws over most mag builds in both PvP and PvE ofc. It suck. Sorcs however gets quadruple screwed by this, since their main defensive class ability gets the same nerf.

Having 1 sec cast time on any defensive skill doesn't work at all in action oriented mmos with high burst and loads of cc + interrupts.

On top if that they also made changes to crit v.s all shields. That change alone will hurt and would have been enough as shield nerf with a huge margin.
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trout1996 wrote: »

They're killing off diversity in mechanics with these changes. I play solo open world on all classes and all specs and sorcs have never given me a fit. Their burst is so telegraphed and now that cage is dodgeable, they are very easy to counter. They should buff cage and let it deal its damage now and forget all of these changes. The only shield that is a bit strong was untouched and that's Healing Ward. How hard is "Sorc casts shields, I apply DoTs, Sorc applied curse to me, I apply vigor and CC immunity potion if available, Sorc applies Endless Fury to me, I then follow with a roll dodge as the sorc's clench/ cage misses me and usually the C-frag will too. Come up with a CC of my own and the sorc's now helpless as his shields just dropped. I burn my ultimate or spammable and the sorc is either left dead or spamming healing ward on the defense which is destroying his magicka pool. He'll soon crack or have to reset the fight with a streak to break distance from me. I re-apply DoTs as he once again attempts his burst rotation on me, I follow up with my above plan and his depleted resource pool can't hold as he dies button mashing healing ward." Shields are extremely expensive and scale terribly with numbers but are stronger 1v1 whereas dodge chance (RiP) and LoS scale extremely well with numbers. Resistances are in the middle ground being a reliable mean of defense. Shields bring dynamic game-play and a unique defense mechanism to the game at the cost of a large amount of resources. Also most sorcs are bad at re-applying their shields and are able to be slain much easier than I stated. Welcome to the Tank meta.

Make this guy lead combat designer.
  • Playnice
    Playnice
    ✭✭✭

Dude you only play a Stam DK Werewolf and have been running the same bleed build for 2+ years. Stop trolling the forums and spewing diarrhea of the mouth.
    Playing since Feb 2015 / TES fan since 2002
    Main alliance: Ebonheart Pact
    All classes, all specs, 21 characters / 2 accounts
  • visionality
    visionality
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CaliMade wrote: »
    lmao at all the people who know they wont be able to adapt.

sorcs will be fine ya’ll just need to learn how to adapt to big changes.

im running sorc all next patch, bet on it

(dont forget healing ward is still instant cast)

The question is not whether people can adapt, the question is whether they want to adapt.

I started playing a magsorc because I like to play fast - high damage, but also unforgiving in terms of incoming damage if you slack on your defenses. The high damage is already a thing of the past, magblades perform 30% better in terms of dps. Now the "fast" is gone too. Instead you get "clunky" and "unreliable", which is exactly what you do NOT need in tight situations.

In case some people forgot (many of them sitting at ZOS): This is a game people play for fun. Not to "adapt" and chew on the frustrations.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    CaliMade wrote: »
    lmao at all the people who know they wont be able to adapt.

sorcs will be fine ya’ll just need to learn how to adapt to big changes.

im running sorc all next patch, bet on it

(dont forget healing ward is still instant cast)

The question is not whether people can adapt, the question is whether they want to adapt.

I started playing a magsorc because I like to play fast - high damage, but also unforgiving in terms of incoming damage if you slack on your defenses. The high damage is already a thing of the past, magblades perform 30% better in terms of dps. Now the "fast" is gone too. Instead you get "clunky" and "unreliable", which is exactly what you do NOT need in tight situations.

In case some people forgot (many of them sitting at ZOS): This is a game people play for fun. Not to "adapt" and chew on the frustrations.

Every single way I look at it, I can't come up with a way to build magsorc that can survive without shields that doesn't have much, much worse damage, AND much, much worse sustain. Damage is already bad enough... Only option seems full tank - which sorc does worse than pretty much every other class...
    Just can't figure it out.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Rak_am
    Rak_am
    ✭✭✭
    new shield by zos... i am runner in vmol :

raidlead : "go runners"
    raidlead : " go go go go !"
    runner : "sorry cast my shield"
    raidlead : "ok go now, quickly"
    raidlead : " 2 more"
    raidlead : "..."
    end of run, runner go to purify... "sorry cast my shield"... oups no i'm dead...

YEAH great ZOS
    Edited by Rak_am on September 19, 2018 12:56PM
    zenimax, FIX THE GAME
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least no more nerf sorc requests. They will cry about another class.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Massive dmg?

I'm running around with 3k spell dmg and 50k magicka and i can't burst any heavy users because my burst is so easily countered. Even if all of it hits its not going to come close to killing 25-30k heavy users.

Now with the shield changes i'd be forced to run heavy or become paper. With heavy i have less sustain and will need to lose even more dmg to compensate for that/

Playing a sorc with even less dmg is just pointless and is only a thing zerglings will run with cool 2k curse hits.

Welcome to a templar's life! :wink:
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Massive dmg?

I'm running around with 3k spell dmg and 50k magicka and i can't burst any heavy users because my burst is so easily countered. Even if all of it hits its not going to come close to killing 25-30k heavy users.

Now with the shield changes i'd be forced to run heavy or become paper. With heavy i have less sustain and will need to lose even more dmg to compensate for that/

Playing a sorc with even less dmg is just pointless and is only a thing zerglings will run with cool 2k curse hits.

I'm guessing that they want you to dial back some of that 50k max magicka (which is used for offense and defense) and invest in some protective trait rings. They also want you to use your pets for damage and heals.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • antihero727
    antihero727
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Massive dmg?

I'm guessing that they want you to dial back some of that 50k max magicka (which is used for offense and defense) and invest in some protective trait rings. They also want you to use your pets for damage and heals.

I guess ZOS wants a class even pugs can feel strong vs doing 10k pve deeps. It’s not a nerf hammer it’s a potato smasher. I don’t have any faith left unless this was the final solution for mag sorcs then, great job.
    Veldrn-AD Magica Sorc
    Bizarro Veldrn-AD Stam Sorc
    Antiherro-AD Stam DK
    Antihero-AD Magplar
    Aww Crit-AD Magblade
    AD Since PC beta
    On A lag free vacation
    for the near and far future
  • wuka91
    wuka91
    ✭✭
    Trout1996 wrote: »

They're killing off diversity in mechanics with these changes. I play solo open world on all classes and all specs and sorcs have never given me a fit. Their burst is so telegraphed and now that cage is dodgeable, they are very easy to counter. They should buff cage and let it deal its damage now and forget all of these changes. The only shield that is a bit strong was untouched and that's Healing Ward. How hard is "Sorc casts shields, I apply DoTs, Sorc applied curse to me, I apply vigor and CC immunity potion if available, Sorc applies Endless Fury to me, I then follow with a roll dodge as the sorc's clench/ cage misses me and usually the C-frag will too. Come up with a CC of my own and the sorc's now helpless as his shields just dropped. I burn my ultimate or spammable and the sorc is either left dead or spamming healing ward on the defense which is destroying his magicka pool. He'll soon crack or have to reset the fight with a streak to break distance from me. I re-apply DoTs as he once again attempts his burst rotation on me, I follow up with my above plan and his depleted resource pool can't hold as he dies button mashing healing ward." Shields are extremely expensive and scale terribly with numbers but are stronger 1v1 whereas dodge chance (RiP) and LoS scale extremely well with numbers. Resistances are in the middle ground being a reliable mean of defense. Shields bring dynamic game-play and a unique defense mechanism to the game at the cost of a large amount of resources. Also most sorcs are bad at re-applying their shields and are able to be slain much easier than I stated. Welcome to the Tank meta.

you're spot on bro. Spot *** on. That's what leaves me to believe what the idiots at ZoS are even doing. Do they even have a competent mag sorc? like they are complete *** in my eyes for even coming up with the idea of even putting a cast time on shields. Even if they reduce to to 0.2 second it will be too much. It's already difficult enough pressure back on any stam player if they know their burst rotations and how to LoS but now they are adding cast time to shields lol. So much stupidity in their combat design department it truly boggles my mind.
    Edited by wuka91 on September 19, 2018 2:52PM
  • wuka91
    wuka91
    ✭✭
    Edited by wuka91 on September 19, 2018 2:38PM
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SilverWF wrote: »
    So all I need now against a Sorcs is Crushing Shock or Venom Arrow?
    As NB I still can additionally use Blur (against Curse), lul

Who creates this changes? Did he has ESO even installed on his PC?

Just a quick note Crushing Shock and Venom Arrow or not equal Crushing is not all damage upfront so not taking the morph is not as bad as Venom Arrow the DoT and this and Poison Arrow is pure trash.

Poison Injection gets a HUGE damage buff at the 50% health mark no bow build uses or will ever use Venom Arrow the damage is just garbage. Poison Injection carries this skill.
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Saw your earlier post regarding NB cloak cool down and now becoming salty on Sorc!

Try run something else than Stamden or Stam DK!

Sorc recently took huge nerf to shields and overload 3rd bar, this need to be addressed or Sorc will be a dead class!
    Edited by Lord_Eomer on September 19, 2018 4:37PM
  • smarmyguy
    smarmyguy
    Elo been a sorc since xbox release.

You need to take a step back and completely redesign your load out. I've been running spinner lich infernal g and willpower for as long as i can remember. Yes it was over powered but I think the nerfs have been to much at once. They should have brought them in one at a time to find a good balance rather than nerfing nearly every skill and how sheilds work.

See below my new build which is work in progress but im having some good results at the moment:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=97701

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

PC Steve N Jake (Xbox eu) @Smarmyguy (PC)
    PC Steve N Jake (Xbox eu)
    Mag Sorc: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=97524
    Mag DK

@smarmyguy (PC EU)
    Mag DK
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    I love how someone who is clearly not affected tells everyone it’s fine.

I love how someone who is clearly affected (well maybe) tells everyone its broke
    Edited by Pops_ND_Irish on November 13, 2018 2:40PM