Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Should I quit the game?

Praefator
Praefator
I have been playing (trying to) ESO for a year now. I have been maintaining a monthly subscription for all this time.
I have only around 300 hours in-game time and I have barely reached level 38 on my main magsorc.
As hard as I tried I just couldn't start enjoying the game.

I tried to watch the video guides on YouTube, I followed the in-game skill guide, nothing can make me feel like I am actually making any progress or any impact during combat.
Also as soon as I try a new skill setup, something gets nerfed and I am back at square one, not understanding how any of the skill work or how do I progress further into the game.
Enjoying poison arrow with the bow? Nerfed!
Using bound armor? Nerfed!

I keep dying to trash world mobs even though I try to keep my gear up to my level and try to use the "leveling builds".

At this point I am frustrated as hell and I am wondering why the f.. can't I make any progress, neither in leveling nor understanding the game mechanics.
Am I attempting to get into the game in the wrong way or something? Does anyone feel the same?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't like the game, there's no shame in stopping play. Its supposed to be fun.

That beings said, it sounds like you are struggling to have fun because you are struggling with your build. I'm sure other posters will give you solid ideas on a leveling magsorc build.

There's the basics. Equip a food/drink buff and keep your gear close to your level. Witchmother's Potent Brew is a festival food and its probably the best for leveling magicka characters.

Then there's some of the intricacies of combat. I prefer to use a damage over time skill on all mobs. For my Magsorc, that's Wall of Elements (destro staff) and Liquid Lightning (sorc skill). Once those are damaging the mobs, then I can attack them with whatever I want, including light attacks for damage and heavy attacks to regen my resources.

My own leveling Magsorc is pretty simple, just Wall of Elements, Liquid lightning, the twilight matriarch for heals, the votaile familar for damage, and Ward or Boundless Storm for protection. Sometimes I have to kite enemies, but it works pretty well.

You can also try a different class. I found my favorite class, stam sorcs, on my third character. Hurricane + Endless Hail + Dual Wield just rips through mobs. The Arcane Warrior setting for stam sorc on the Skills Advisor was pretty good for lower levels too.
    Edited by VaranisArano on August 16, 2018 8:21PM
  • Komma
    Komma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    O.O
    Kohma Kozzy-cr160-Stamblade
    Komma-cr160-Magicblade
    Komma the Great-cr160-Stam DK
    Kommah-cr160-Mag DK
    Komma Kozzy-cr160-Mag Templar
    Kommuh Kozzy-cr160-Stam Templar
    Komma the White-cr160-Mag Sorc
    The Tazmanian Devil-cr160-Stamsorc
    OTG
  • Freddycruz89
    Freddycruz89
    ✭✭✭
    Do the main quests. Easy way to level. Builds change as you said and it can be frustrating, but there is so much more to the game than leveling. Find an aspect of the game you like and pursue it. Worst case scenario leave the game if it's still not enjoyable, though I urge you to make an honest effort to explore the different activities eso offers other than leveling.
    Octavius Maximus, Founder of The Maester' Order
    PS4 NA. Role Player. Housing Fanatic. Part Time Achievement Hunter.
    | Princely Dawnlight Palace |
  • Drako_Ei
    Drako_Ei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use another class, at least for me sorcs are very boring to play
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magsorc with a Bow. There's your first problem.

If you're a Mag Sorc, meaning a Sorc with all your attribute points into Magicka, then any bow ability is going to hit like a feather. You should either use a destruction staff or, if you like using a bow, put all your points into Stamina.

Do either of those and I'm certain you'll see immediate improvement.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2400CP
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first and main was/is a Breton Mag Sorc. Shattering Prison, Unstable Wall of Elements, and Liquid Lightning to lock down and burn down mobs, then tag each one with a Mage's Wrath, and when that procs, they all explode. It's complete cheese, but it's easy and it works.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2400CP
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have to ask I’d say yes you should quit.

Bases on your comments I’d also suggest never playing an MMORPG ever again. Nerfs are part of such games.
  • crazy_catman21
    crazy_catman21
    ✭✭✭
    Yes :smile:
  • e1team
    e1team
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, ever so helpful community... \s
    Of course if you don't feel like it, then leave. But you obviously have some problem with you build. Granted, magic based characters always have harder time at the beginning, as some said here, just stick to main quest and try to optimize your build. Alternatively, roll a DK or Templar.
    Edited by e1team on August 17, 2018 6:57AM
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Praefator wrote: »
    I keep dying to trash world mobs even though I try to keep my gear up to my level and try to use the "leveling builds".

At this point I am frustrated as hell and I am wondering why the f.. can't I make any progress, neither in leveling nor understanding the game mechanics.
    Am I attempting to get into the game in the wrong way or something? Does anyone feel the same?

I switched from keyboard/mouse to gamepad to learn the gamepad. I never used a gamepad im my life before and needed something "easy".

I found a rather safe way to play the game.

Find a friendly crafter and get 5 heavy Fortified Brass and 5 pieces Shaklebreaker. Plus two others with 1024 max . health. Green or blue is sufficient. Use The Lover mundus. Together with the One Tamriel buff this is a solid base for experimenting with STA and MAG weapons and skills.

That way i died only on world bosses and lost connections.
    Edited by mague on August 17, 2018 7:15AM
  • seipher09
    seipher09
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you die to trash mobs in this game with 0 armor even in 4 something is very wrong with your skills your using.

If you want an easier time go with magic based all points into magika templar using jabs. You heal based on damage on.

If you want physical damage go with a sorcerer all points magika, once you can get surge and light armor skill line for the shield your near unkillable.

All stamina characters need 5 pieces of medium (heavy if your tank) magika in light.

If you like the actual game but find it hard just need to fix your build. I would say the open world in this game is by far the easiest (and I mean I can play with 0 armor on yawning killing 20 trash mobs at a time easy) game. Just give it some time and learn it. Game has a lot to offer and a ton of content.
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you have 300 ingame hours and you only are lvl 38?

I play 5 hours with a new character and am at least the same level.? and i don't even grind nor do i use xp pots/scrolls...just by doing quests
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do not like these type of games then you just do not like them. Nothing wrong with that. I would give it another try though. Roll a new toon from scratch. Something safe and easy. A generalist that will let you solo overland content. Don't worry about trying to be the perfect tank, healer, or DPS for groups and raids. Then play the story. Play like One Tamriel never happened. Stick with your starting faction. Do those quests in order. Work the fighter and magic guild quests. Go through the battles against Mannimarco and Molag Bal. Then do Cadwell's silver and gold and be free. All Elder Scroll games are about the stories.

Enjoy that. It will also help if you find a couple of guilds in your faction's home area. There are many newbie guilds that will aid and support you and give you the opportunity for doing dungeons and such. In short order you'll find yourself well equipped, well levelled, and in command of the game. BTW, no need to delete your existing toon if you wish to keep it. Make it into a dedicated crafter!
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Praefator

Are you on PC or console? I'm sure there are quite a few people who would be willing to help you with your build and some leveling advice, and even take you out to show you some good places to level.

If you're strictly trying to level faster, try doing dolmens. Auridon, Deshaan, or Ali Desert are great places to dolmen xp level. Basically, you finish one dolmen, run to the wayshrine, travel to the next dolmen, and then rinse/repeat. I can get to lvl 50 in a day or two just grinding this (with some training gear and xp scrolls, granted). Once you find the rotation of dolmen spawns, it's just repetitive .

If you're wanting to enjoy the game, then you obviously need to enjoy the lore aspect of the game while doing quests. As I played all the other ESO games, I was instantly hooked to the lore in this game as well. But if you're not into questing and exploring new areas, then I think the answer to your original question is "Yes." The only other thing that might keep you interested is PvP, but it sounds like that would be hard on you right now as well.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You really should not be worrying about the meta until you get into endgame activities. You are just ruining your own experience.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »
    You really should not be worrying about the meta until you get into endgame activities. You are just ruining your own experience.

I agree with this. The process of leveling can be the most enjoyable part of this game, when everything is shiny new.

Are there aspects of this game you do enjoy? Do you like the stories? Have you done the guild questlines? Done the regional quest arcs? If you like those things, do them and learn your character along the way. Try to keep one skill from each class line on both bars at all times, so the skill lines will be fully leveled once you get to end game.

And consider finding a community. Having people here we connect with is what keeps many of us around. Humans are social creatures, even grumpy ones. Ask in a busy zone chat for invite to an active, friendly social guild. It might make all the difference for you.

But if you genuinely don't enjoy any aspect of the game, quitting is ok. Not every game is suited for every player.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The nerfs people talk about have no impact on casual gameplay, and AFAIK they didn't even happen: Poison Injection hasn't really been changed much for at least 3 years, and Bound Armor has been actually buffed, since it's not a toggle anymore so you can chose to keep it on only one bar; the buffs it provides for slotting it are exactly the same as they were before (see #4). The impact on forums is so strong when skills change since most people who post here also do various end game activities, both PvE and PvP, where those things do have a significant impact. Also I'm pretty curious how you managed to play for 300 hours in a year and only reach level 38. Even doing quests or killing overland enemies would have given enough XP to reach 50 in about 2-3 weeks, playing 2-3 hours a day. Which is 40-60 hours of extremely relaxed play. Youtube videos pretty much clarify most of the aspects I've written about below.

Things to do:

1) Stick to one attribute, ex. if you're a magicka sorcerer put all attributes into magicka, and stick to morphs that work off magicka, buff spell damage, and do magic or lightning damage. If you see a morph that does physical damage don't pick it up. In this game skills that do magic/elemental damage scale off maximum magicka and spell damage, and skills that do physical/poison/disease damage scale off maximum stamina and weapon damage.

2) Use appropriate gear. For example a magicka sorcerer should use primarily light armor - at least 5/7 pieces - since that offers passives that boost spell penetration, spell critical, magicka recovery and cost reduction. As weapons you should uses staves, since those do magic/elemental damage (see #1) and recovery magicka from heavy attacks. Either destro staves on each bar, or destro front bar, resto back bar. Also you should pick sets that offer the same kind of bonuses as 2/3/4/5 pieces. Try to stick to 2 complete sets, since having 5 pieces from each gives the maximum bonus. If you can't find gear of the appropriate level overland, ask players to craft for you, as most will do it for a small amount of money or even for free if you ask in zone chat. A combo I've been using to level magicka characters for ages is 5 Armor of the Seducer 4 Torug's Pact with random arcane jewelry from zone/arena sets - now you can go with crafted but I don't think it's worth it for a leveling build. That should work reasonably well on a sorcerer. Try to change your gear every 10 levels or so, and get one at your level, since due to scaling set bonuses decrease as you out-level the gear.

3) Use food or drink buffs, the best for leveling are the festival or DLC foods or drinks because those scale to your level so you don't have to change. For example Whichmother's Potent Brew is very good for Magicka, even in end game builds since it gives maximum health, maximum magicka and magicka recovery. You should be able to get it from other players if you missed the Witches Festival last year.

4) See which skills provide buffs of the type "major" and keep those up. For example Sorcerer has several that you may find useful: Power Surge gives Major Sorcery (+20% spell damage) and also heals on critical strikes, Boundless Storm gives Major Ward & Resolve (+5K magic & physical resistance). Use skills that do their damage over several seconds, for example Elemental Blockade (destruction staff) in conjunction with Liquid Lightning (class skill) then try to refresh them as they run out and in the mean time use skills that do damage instantly like Force Pulse (destruction staff). If in need of magicka, just do a staff heavy attack to recover it (see #2). Last but not least use shields, to prevent your HP from being depleted, for example Hardened Ward. Some skills give bonuses merely for being slotted and you don't need to use them, for example Inner light from Mages Guild gives Major Prophecy (+10%) spell critical chance and 5-7% maximum magicka depending on passives. When an ultimate skill is full, use it for more damage.

For example your sorcerer bar setup should look like this:

Front Bar: Mages Wrath | Force Pulse | Hardened Ward | Inner Light | Bound Aegis || Ice Comet*
    Back Bar: Elemental Blockade | Liquid Lightning | Haunting Curse | Power Surge | Bound Aegis || Elemental Rage
    *if you don't have Mages Guild leveled you can use something else there, for example Suppression Field

Example of gameplay:
    Buff with Power Surge
    Haunting Curse -> LA -> Liquid Lightning -> LA -> Elemental Blockade -> swap bar -> Force Pulse -> HA -> Force Pulse -> HA -> Force Pulse -> swap bar (repeat). When enemy drops to <25% HP use Mages Wrath -> LA (4x) instead of the Force Pulse- > HA rotation since Mages Wrath does more damage to low level enemies and it's not worth using it at >25%. If you get damaged cast Hardened Ward; actually it's better to anticipate when you're about to get hit and cast that to prevent damage as shields are proactive, while healing is reactive.
    LA = light attack, do this by simply pressing LMB or controller button just before or after you press the skill button, it's bonus damage. Not really necessary at the beginning but it helps.
    HA = heavy attack, do this by holding LMB or controller button till it releases, and press skill button just about halfway trough the animation.
    Edited by Asardes on August 17, 2018 1:06PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    300 hours and level 38 sounds like you are not really playing the game. If you die to overland trash mobs I would certainly look at sets that provide resistance and use The Lady mundus. This should give you a bit of a 'buffer' to learn to use your skills. As a magsorc get a pet for self heal. I also had a hard time learning what is important in ESO, but once you start to feel more confident a lot of things fall into place. Also keep in mind that most build guides are meant for end game (CP cap) players.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Praefator lets take it slow... hybrids really don't work in this game, if you want damage it's either full magicka or full stamina.

Do you want to play magic with staves or stamina with swords/bows?

If magic do you want pets or no pets? If stam do you want bow/bow, duel wield/bow or 2H/bow?
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Xerge
    Xerge
    ✭✭✭
    This guy has got to be trolling. I introduced this game to a 57 year old man wearing thick as hell glasses; no MMO experience in his life, might have played sim/builder games.

I set him up with a pet-sorc character, some addons, showed him the basics. He's 156CP and finished cadwell's gold.

The OP literally does not enjoy video games or is trolling, seriously.

To answer your question, yes quit. Find something fun to do with your time.
    Edited by Xerge on August 19, 2018 6:45PM
  • nickl413
    nickl413
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xerge wrote: »
    This guy has got to be trolling. I introduced this game to a 57 year old man wearing thick as hell glasses; no MMO experience in his life, might have played sim/builder games.

I set him up with a pet-sorc character, some addons, showed him the basics. He's 156CP and finished cadwell's gold.

The OP literally does not enjoy video games or is trolling, seriously.

To answer your question, yes quit. Find something fun to do with your time.

Agreed, he's trolling. I have a lvl 31 mule who has 26 hours of game time. I've done some dailies. and ran 1 dungeon. I have not tried to level at all and I'm leveling faster than this guy is. Either he is trolling or he is an RPer. Which is fine if you're into RP, but dont come here acting like youve been trying to level for 300 hours.
    Edited by nickl413 on August 19, 2018 6:56PM
  • Shraar
    Shraar
    ✭✭✭
    300 hours? Whoa! I've got less time than you but I think I can help you. Do you want to be friends in-game? We can level together, sometimes being with someone special can make anything fun.

Oh, and it's your money, but you don't need to pay for the subscription! Just purchase the base game and relax, that way you won't feel pressured by the subscription, and you can just enjoy it!
    HMU :)
  • Dr_Rektar
    Dr_Rektar
    ✭✭✭
    *Give me ur gold post here*
    Engine guardian - best set ever
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *read the OP's first comment, made at the beginning of 2017, when they were lvl19 and a game update had moved poison arrow from the first skill unlocked to the last skill unlocked in the bow skill line.*

*finished coffee and deletes all advice to help OP*

I agree, moving poison arrow from the first bow ability was a bad idea by the game devs.

• Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an MMO.

Start using the best thing an MMO can offer you: other players

There are tons of guilds where you can find tons of players that would be willing to help you if only you just asked.
    Written guides are all good and that, but you can overlook a critical detail and think you did everything by the book when in fact you didn't.

If interacting with other players is not your thing, then an MMO is not for you.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hello there, mate.
    With 300h spent in-game your char should be better, you need help to put your char on the right track.
    About updates: game is constantly being updated so players really need to update along it, some stuff buffed and some nerfed as always.
    On which platform and server are you on?
    If you need help and you're on PS4 EU server, Sons of the NightMother are currently recruiting.
    Please a look at the link below and consider.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/427588/sons-of-the-nightmother-recruiting-from-all-alliances-pve-pvp#latest
    If you are interested in joining us please leave me a message or join us thru our facebook page, we will glady assist you.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • mitchtheelder
    mitchtheelder
    ✭✭✭
    game is dying. eilitism is at max lvl.

quit and do some real life ***!

go get it!
    AD Orc Nightblade - Manndingo, High Elf Templar - M Mike Adriano Nord Dragonknight - Ser-Gregor Clegane
    High elf Sorcerer - Grand Maester Mitch Dark elf Nightblade - Gilbert Arenas Redguard Dragonknight - Half Man Half Amazing Redguard Sorcerer - Uncle Drew High Elf Dragonknight - Devon Larrat Imperial Warden - Sandor Clegane M Nord Necromancer - Tormund Husband to Bears High Elf Necromancer - Ana Maria della Salute High Elf - Warden - Samuel F Jackson Argonian - Templar - Kraken Reptile DC Argonian Warden - Gustavo Giviria Rivero High elf Sorcerer - Jackie Kennedy Orc Necromancer - Lucifer Blackstar EP Redguard Templar - MItch Buchanon
    PC-EU since Feb2016 (+8k h in game)
  • VikingBerserker
    VikingBerserker
    ✭✭✭
    Pick up a ward/shield put all attributes in magicka and you should be good as long as you keep the shield up.
  • VikingBerserker
    VikingBerserker
    ✭✭✭
    How do you not have cp after 300 hrs? That would also go a long way in solo pve.
  • Praefator
    Praefator
    I am not mixing the magsorc with the bow, sorry for giving the wrong impression. The poison arrow was a bad memory from when I was just starting the game. I was enjoying the bow at the time and a couple of days later the nerf hammer hit.

For now I decided to try some things I haven't tried yet: try some new classes, level without the guides and videos, find a guild... maybe (I don't really enjoy being in a guild).

I'll also try to mix in my other passion and maybe make some addons for ESO.

If all that doesn't work I'll put all the crowns into the slot machine and shelf the game afterwards.

Thanks for the help guys.

PS: I am playing on the EU PC server.