The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The change to riposte is too much

Malamar1229
Malamar1229
✭✭✭✭✭
Suggestion to change to 8 seconds. Largely a backbar set for classes like magicka sorcs, this nerf completely removes it from the option table further pigeonholing the class into 1 of like 3 options. Horrible.

The debuff was OP for providing it on multiple targets at once and for the length of time...but 5 seconds doesn't even allow it enough to be active while setting up a burst rotation.
To front bar the set means I lose 2k magicka and 1k stamina( domi/grothdar) which is not a favorable loss at all, or the use of a 2pc monster set.

Further, rune cage is back to useless which means back to the Reach meta. This also means Masters inferno staff which in conjunction with the riposte adjustment just ruins my set up. But my bias reasons aside, the nerf was way too much...8 seconds and I would live with it.

Something to keep in mind is the stat loss and dmg loss using this set. I am already trading dmg for survivability and now that option is neutered.

Edited by Malamar1229 on August 7, 2018 5:53PM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well ya know...ZOS....and balance....we’ve been here before.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rune cage nerf was very justified, stam builds could and can still break free, mag builds now can choose to dodge roll it. Now we don’t have to hope to high hell the skill doesn’t bug out, as an unavoidable cc. But I agree wizards repost was too much a nerf. Just reduce the uptime slightly and keep the proc conditions.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'll add that, from a perspective other than magsorcs', the Riposte change further pigeonholes magplar and magDK into heavy armor and/or permablock setups.

And of course, once you switch to a lower-damage setup like that, by far the most efficient way to get enough damage to kill players is to add in a proc set or two.

LA magplar/magDK aren't dead, but the practical effect of the Riposte nerf will be more heavy armor magplars and magDKs out there getting kills with proc sets. Yay.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about that 'back bar'? You can have both sets active all the time...

Anyway, with THAT changes, this set becomes trash, unmatter back, front or even both bars and a cap above all of it.
    Edited by SilverWF on August 7, 2018 2:07AM
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not a Riposte user (prefer Lich on my Magsorc's backbar), but I'm gonna miss being able to sell jewelry and certain body pieces for decent gold. It was one of the few (two?) BG reward sets that were useful and in-demand.

15 secs may have been a bit too much, but 5 is just waaay too low.
    Edited by TheYKcid on August 7, 2018 2:04AM
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • Speed_Kills
    Speed_Kills
    ✭✭✭
    Riposte is still good enough to double bar. Remember, maim reduces damage to all of your group members as well. Also, from a solo perspective, it is still one of the top damage-reducing sets in game.
    Edited by Speed_Kills on August 7, 2018 3:07AM
    Some say speed kills, I hope to be proof of that.

Main- Speed Kills Nord Stamina Sorcerer
    +11 alts (every class, mag+stam)
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think the changes are great

People were overly reliant on the set and 5 seconds means you have to both bar the set or frequently switch bars

It was legit easy mode before and could have a whole Zerg doing 15% less damage forever practically
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mb10 wrote: »
    I think the changes are great

People were overly reliant on the set and 5 seconds means you have to both bar the set or frequently switch bars

It was legit easy mode before and could have a whole Zerg doing 15% less damage forever practically

Agree. I think its still worth for backbar/defensive bar and 5 seconds means if you switch to offensive again then you'll take more damage soon after too.

The change to direct critial damage is nice too, so you don't get it from your tons of ground aoes and secondary effect.

Well done imo.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »
    Rune cage nerf was very justified, stam builds could and can still break free, mag builds now can choose to dodge roll it. Now we don’t have to hope to high hell the skill doesn’t bug out, as an unavoidable cc. But I agree wizards repost was too much a nerf. Just reduce the uptime slightly and keep the proc conditions.

Justified? Turning a skill into a version that just drops block and isn’t even a guarantee it does? For the cost of 3k+ mag and a GCD? No thanks. It’s a waste.

Do you think the change to Defensive Rune was justified also? Really?
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Further, rune cage is back to useless which means back to the Reach meta.
    Rune cage should be on par with fossilize and fear after the changes. Is a 35m unblockable CC that flows perfectly with the mSorc kit useless?
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Defensive rune wasn't needed imho. But rune cage offered to much, it was almost guaranteed kill skill. When it goes to Wizards Riposte, I think that 5s duration and 10s cd would be perfectly fine. 100% uptime was bull$hit though.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • psxfloh
    psxfloh
    ✭✭✭✭
    A: "We need to do something about Wizard's Riposte, it's OP.. any suggestions?"
    B: "We could lower the duration of the debuff..."
    C: "Or we could change it from 'critical damage' to 'direct critical damage'"
    A: "Ok, let's do that!"
    B+C: "Which?"
    A: "Both"

on an unrelated side note, "Wizard's Riposte" can be exchanged by any Set, Skill, Class or Mechanic in the game, "OP" can be exchanged with "UP" (underperforming), the list of "B+C" may be of arbitrary size... and still it seems to be the standard process at ZOS' that all of the suggestions will be applied at once, nerfing or buffing said Set, Skill, Class or Mechanic that it will switch directly from "OP" to "UP" or vice versa.
    Edited by psxfloh on August 7, 2018 9:28AM
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    I'll add that, from a perspective other than magsorcs', the Riposte change further pigeonholes magplar and magDK into heavy armor and/or permablock setups.

And of course, once you switch to a lower-damage setup like that, by far the most efficient way to get enough damage to kill players is to add in a proc set or two.

LA magplar/magDK aren't dead, but the practical effect of the Riposte nerf will be more heavy armor magplars and magDKs out there getting kills with proc sets. Yay.

it doesn't force my magdk into heavy I maybe 1 squishy dk but my dmg is on lvl as stamblade and in bgs Im always highest dmg
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rune cage should be on par with fossilize and fear after the changes. Is a 35m unblockable CC that flows perfectly with the mSorc kit useless?

Yes because you still don’t kill tanks and the others just dodge it. It’s a waste of a bar space and a waste of a GCD. You don’t need a CC to kill bad players. You need it for the good ones.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I've always given the devs credit. I'm a fan of this game etc etc but these cycle changes to Sorc, Riposte etc just show how out of touch they are and how useless the rep program is as they clearly aren't being listened to.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m already planning to decon mine rofl. I can use the inventory space and maybe I’ll get some purple mats. RIP this set.
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Riposte is still good enough to double bar. Remember, maim reduces damage to all of your group members as well. Also, from a solo perspective, it is still one of the top damage-reducing sets in game.

Yes at a pretty substantial stat loss though
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're going to have to find a different set. We got a year out of it, which isn't too bad of a run.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're going to have to find a different set. We got a year out of it, which isn't too bad of a run.

At this point it would be better to delete 80% of the sets and start from scratch.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How.... How can someone look at the available sets and go:

"Riposte, yeah, that's the one set that needs nerfing right now"

???
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Baz
    Baz
    ✭✭✭
    If they revert the proc to all crit damages like before, even with 5sec duration, instead of crit direct damages, It will be okay
    Edited by Baz on August 7, 2018 5:47PM
    vAA : 150.350 WS StamBlade
    vSO : 171.041 CwC StamSorc
    vHRC : 155.895 DB Tank
    vMoL : 159.672 CwC Stamplar
    vHoF : 206.667 MkM StamNB
    vAS : 111.272 MkM Magplar
    vCR : 128.397 WS MagSorc
    Mostly retired from PvE ESO
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »

Yes because you still don’t kill tanks and the others just dodge it. It’s a waste of a bar space and a waste of a GCD. You don’t need a CC to kill bad players. You need it for the good ones.

Man, that logic... We might as well not slot Fossilize or Fear either. Cause you don't need a CC to kill bad players, only good ones. I mean I can't seem to land fear on the sprinting 1vX stamsorc hero, better delete fear from the game right.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to tune suit sets with a scalpel not a sledgehammer as grinding these sets is a huge coin and time expense .
  • Jsmalls
    Jsmalls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It still can have permanent uptime... What opponent isn't critting you once every 5 seconds...

As far as being only a back bar set, that's the choice that has to be made.

The fact that it can still have 100% uptime is still the problem in my opinion. No set should have 15% reduced damage for 100% of the time.
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jsmalls wrote: »
    It still can have permanent uptime... What opponent isn't critting you once every 5 seconds...

The fact that it can still have 100% uptime is still the problem in my opinion. No set should have 15% reduced damage for 100% of the time.

True, that's why I don't mind the duration reduction. I do mind however that it now is pretty useless against DoT builds and I think that's pretty weak for a 5 pc bonus that you pretty much will have to run on your front bar.

• Kaysha
    Kaysha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Galarthor wrote: »

True, that's why I don't mind the duration reduction. I do mind however that it now is pretty useless against DoT builds and I think that's pretty weak for a 5 pc bonus that you pretty much will have to run on your front bar.

Dots cannot crit?
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tried this set for all of one day in Cyrodiil. Dumped it. The damage reduction is marginal at best. Yet another mag build disappointment. Thanks, ZOS
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't @paulsimonps show the math about how the cooldown matters little?

I remember him doing something like that ..

Anyway, I'm just flabbergasted that ZoS choose to Nerf Riposte over so many sets that have WAY more QQ over.

I really hope a "representative" didn't do this
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The destruction of Cyro's Light and the destruction of Wizard's Riposte have left my magplar in a really bad spot.
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With direct damage?
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!