The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Becoming a Master Crafter - What was Your Journey Like?

Starlock
Starlock
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Becoming a master crafter is quite the journey. For those of you who have made it there (or if it is something you are currently working towards), take a few moments in this discussion to reflect upon your experiences.

Was there a particular moment you decided to become a master crafter?

What does "master crafter" mean to you? Does it just mean being a nine trait crafter? Does it mean being a master of styles as well? Does it mean being of service to the community by regularly crafting gear? Something else entirely?

Where did your journey become particularly difficult or memorable?

What are your thoughts on the 'pay to win' research scrolls or motifs? Have you used any, or did you get everything by virtue of your own blood, sweat, and tears?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on December 2, 2023 4:15AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many months of forgetting to start new traits for research.

As for my thoughts on research scrolls, well, I did the math:

Its approximately $360-$400 to instantly become a master jeweler, once you have all traits available for research.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/408045/how-much-does-it-cost-to-max-research-jewelry-with-crown-scrolls

It costs roughly 300,000+ Crowns to become a Master Crafter for blacksmithing, clothing, and woodworking with only Crown Store Research Scrolls. That's about $2000 if the crown packs aren't on sale (PC/NA prices).
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/399756/pay-to-win-the-math-on-research-scrolls
    Edited by VaranisArano on August 1, 2018 7:13PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only need to know 6 traits on pieces you will use to make the most used and powerful sets. Focusing on those alone, you can be there in less than 2 months. Then you can spend the next year after that getting to 9 traits on everything.

As for my journey, it was about 18 months, no panzy research scrolls, I did it the manly man way, click and wait.

As to what a Master Crafter means, all ceafting skills maxed, almost all crafting skills assigned skill points and all the achievements for crafting earned. I would normally add in all motifs known, but we have so many of those now and more being added that just are a true grind to get, or just cost cash, that I have dropped Motifs from my requirements
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just decided to research items as they dropped when I started playing at launch... learning all the motifs on one toon for achievements, and now here I am... wasn't really much of a grind, to be honest, just took time. I ground out a few motifs, bought the others. Currently do writs on 25 toons, so I make enough gold that I don't have to grind out everything that I need, I just do my writ grinding. I have spent a grand total of ~$30 on crafting stuff, and that was to buy some crowns to buy the banker as that makes doing writs approximately 10,000x easier, everything else was just done with patience and in-game gold
    Edited by tmbrinks on August 1, 2018 7:45PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Filling out my 50 motifs is hurting a fair bit.

I really don't know how I've only got 40!

Appears I am missing 1-5 pieces of several.
  • NolaArch
    NolaArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started researching a few years ago. It wasn't really too bad. I made sure to check my research timers when I logged in and again before logging out --just in case some were close and I forgot to start on them while playing. I finished up jewelry rather quickly. I think it took about a week, week and a half. I make sure to learn all motifs that come out straight away, too.

For me it means being able to craft anything and everything I or anyone else could ever need. You want that 9 trait Frostcaster and Buoyant Armiger mix, all Nirnhoned? Oh, and jewelry, too? I got you. It means freedom to craft for myself and others without having to say, "I'm sorry, I can't do that for you."
    Ardat-Yakshii EP Stam NB
    36k anchovy club
    Mash the buttons, hope for the best!
    I have some achievements
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    started mid 2016,finish all traits May 2017,had all available slots researching and spent a lot of money
    buying gear (Nirnroot mostly) needed for research
    after i learned all motifs (bought a lot of them also) i know all ingame motifs so far
    now im researching my last jewelry trait-will finish in 20 days,without ever buy a research scroll

if you plan ahead,you will need aprox 9-10 months without spending any money at CS
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tomorrow I'll get my ninth trait in necklace and thus become a 'true' 9 trait master crafter, so I think I'm able to answer this one: It's pain and a half to get there ;) Getting all nirnhorned items and some of the jewelry traits costs money and getting the research scrolls to speed it up requires motif knowledge, so get yourself some money and be ready for a long (as in really long) ride. Don't think it'll ever be 'worth' it, but at least I've done it and can get the 'Been there, done that' mug now ;)
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Slow.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slow.

Yeah it is... haha. When I started, I had no idea the research times would ramp up like they did. Thus, I was pretty lackadaisical with it. Which, of course, made it not just slow, but sloooooowwwww.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly the development of my main crafter is the thing in the game I feel the greatest sense of accomplishment over. I have not used any crown store speed-ups, not for pride or any feeling it's cheating but just because I can't afford that, so it's taken me over a year to get him ALMOST done. He has just a handful of nirnhoned traits to unlock now before he's complete. It's been so slow and I could kick myself for all the time I wasted in my first few months NOT RESEARCHING (he is not my main character so I suppose I can excuse myself a LITTLE). >_< It's been so expensive...getting Style Master broke my bank in horrifying ways. But I'm almost done and I'm really very tickled that soon I will be able to do just about any master writ I get my hands on, and be able to craft any set that any of my friends want or that I decide to experiment with, and can have gold equipment at a whim. WORTH IT ALL.
  • Smitch_59
    Smitch_59
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've given up on this achievement. Too many motifs to farm/buy.
    By Azura, by Azura, by Azura!
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    What does "master crafter" mean to you?

The game now has a standard: Grand Master Crafter title. Was happy to have that final jewelry trait researched a few weeks ago for the achievement.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/407266/there-is-a-new-master-crafter-title
    Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 1, 2018 10:49PM
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The game now has a standard: Grand Master Crafter title. Was happy to have that final jewelry trait researched a few weeks ago for the achievement.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/407266/there-is-a-new-master-crafter-title

The title is bs...

You can totally cheese the games title and have it without being able to craft 9 trait sets, since the trait master and jewelry trait master requirements only requires learning the trait on 1 item not on all.

To me a Grand Master Crafter is someone who can make anything and everything. Personally I exclude furnishings in this but that's just because there are way too many.

Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runs wrote: »

The title is bs...

You can totally cheese the games title and have it without being able to craft 9 trait sets, since the trait master and jewelry trait master requirements only requires learning the trait on 1 item not on all.

To me a Grand Master Crafter is someone who can make anything and everything. Personally I exclude furnishings in this but that's just because there are way too many.

Well if it’s BS, how are you doing with your Grand Master Harvester achievement?

Screenshot only, please.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smitch_59 wrote: »
    I've given up on this achievement. Too many motifs to farm/buy.

I felt that way too for a while, @Smitch_59 - then I joined a guild that helped me learn how to make gold and the anniversary event happened. That event is amazing for learning motifs.
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Runs wrote: »

The title is bs...

Well if it’s BS, how are you doing with your Grand Master Harvester achievement?

Screenshot only, please.

That achievement is not needed for Grand Master Crafter. But I do have it, only crafting achievement I'm missing is the legendary jc upgrade one. Waiting for update 19 to do it. In Cyro now will edit in a screenshot when I'm back on main crafter.

-Edit to add-
    963FplR.png
    Edited by Runs on August 2, 2018 3:54AM
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Working on it; I have learned furnishing plans as I've found them, but made no concerted effort to get them. I have most of the motifs, but I am tired of spending multiple thousands for motifs. I'll get them over time, I guess. I have 60 days to go on my last jewelry trait. Other than that, I'm pretty sure I'll be surprised when eventually get the title.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a word: "Diligence"

You have to be diligent at remembering to start your research to reduce the amount of idle time not learning that next trait. Diligent at farming resources, deconstructing gear, and finding those last few motif chapters (even more so on console without any type of trader search feature!).

And, you also have to be diligent at doing enough content to acquire the massive amount of skill points it takes to fully realize the crafting skills' potentials. My crafter is also my main PvE content character. I'm currently at 314 skill points (just respecced the other day and that was tedious), and even being able remove all the skill points from the blacksmithing/clothing/woodworking research passives, I still need multiple skill points to fully flesh out some of my secondary skill line passives (Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, etc).

Regarding research scrolls. I have used them, and continue to use them for jewelry, but I have only ever purchased the ones from the writ voucher merchants with vouchers I have acquired doing master writs that I feel I have earned. No crown store cheese for me, thank you very much.

One of the achievements I feel proudest of working towards (which offers no actual in-game achievement) is the acquisition of all the provisioning recipes available in the game. I currently only need the two aetherial ambrosia recipes for my mission to be complete. When I found that last blue, level 25-29 recipe after months of searching traders it was such a relief. I don't know that I'll ever track down a mythic aetherial ambrosia, but I will be okay with that.

Motifs are an exercise in futility. Just when I acquire the final chapter of the most recently released batch, another update drops and 3-4 more are introduced - often sourced in content I don't regularly complete. I would probably cringe upon seeing the figure detailing how much gold I've spent on motif acquisition to this point.

For me, the best thing about being a master crafter is independence. If I want to make a new set of gear and gold it out, I just do it. No hunting around for someone in the guild, or spamming zone chat. I enjoy the freedom and convenience it provides.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    got grand master...

it just happened as i was enjoying the game.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    20 writs to go for me :/
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    long
    PC-EU @lientier
  • Haenk
    Haenk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still not there, but then I'd like the requirements to be much higher.
    - Motifs: Lacking one last page, waiting for a reasonable price
    - traits: all
    - food: lacking one (guess which one, that's the next big target...)
    - jc: about 25 days to gofor necklace (plus 3 more traits on rings), gold ring: waiting for update; refusing to buy scrolls
    - items, I'd say 50% plus, buying 1-3 every day

Honestly, a true master crafter is quite difficult to reach, you need tens of millions of gold, plus correct timing for crown store only motifs.
  • The_Protagonist
    The_Protagonist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waking up to the alarm at odd hours of the night to put the next three traits for research. Awkwardly Logging into my laptop at social gatherings to slot the item for research.

Hours upon hours of running in Craglorn searching for nodes and competing with bots or other farmers, sometimes stealing nodes from other players and chuckling to myself.

Stealthing in IC to kill mobs and collect trophies for unlocking doors, hoping to get Xivkin full motif book and then getting disappointed.

Hours of grinding both Public Dungeons in Wrothgar and LFM zan... blah blah

Learning mechanics of DLC dungeons and making new friends in order to be able to complete content, (made some nice friends)

Learned to PvP for farming AP to get Militant Ordinator Motif.

Finally End up spending a ton of gold for getting motifs.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I became master crafter the old fashioned way, no scrolls. I did have ESO+ which helps a lot especially on the last few traits.
    I'm 8 rings 8 1/2 neck on jewellery, using scrolls for jewellery. it doesn't matter as there is no money to be made in jewellery crafting, no money to be made in crafting at all now with transmute and outfit system.
    Took me over a year iirc.
    I know every motif, including the crown only motifs, except all 4 of the new ones, which I am not in a rush to get.
    I have spent millions on motifs, I would rather pay for them than farm them as that is pretty much the only thing I actually spend my money on.
    A bit of a shame that "grand master crafter" comes before you even have 9 traits in rings and neck, as I am a grand master crafter now already.
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The motif grind is the worst part. I am not a very wealthy player, and I don't have the time to grind for them. So...it's taking a long time...
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To tell a bit of my own story, crafting was something I knew I wanted to do from day one of the game so I started it early but didn't really understand what it was I was getting into. In particular, I had no idea research times would ramp up like they did, so I thought nothing of taking month+ breaks from the game without getting research going. That was kind of frustrating, and I thought it was stupid that the research times were so long (and still do, honestly). I hated having to ask/beg people for research items too.

At some point I got this idea in my head that I'd be a service crafter for the good of the community. Maybe that came from personal frustrations with the system. I wanted to be that guy who provided the service so others didn't have to deal with the hassle. As part of that decision, I realized I needed to rethink my approach to motifs too. A major benefit to crafted gear was being able to control your character's looks. It now wasn't enough to just now the motifs I personally wanted to use - I now needed to know them all so I could accommodate others as well.

That journey would have fallen flat on its face if I hadn't joined a great social guild. They helped me make gold, and from time to time threw a motif page I didn't have my way. It was an amazing thing when I learned them all. Keeping up can still be hard sometimes, but patience is a virtue. Especially when certain someones grossly overcharge for one page of a motif (I’m looking at you fang lair chests).
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did it slowly since the game launched. Obviously we had not instant research scrolls in those days because crown store was a year away from existing.

As for the motifs, I had basically ceased to care about getting motifs when they did the whole glass debacle. After that I just sold any I got. That is until...

When the first anniversary crafting drop event came (3rd anniversary of the game I believe), and motifs became pretty easy for guys with large stables of toons to get, I decided to play catch up. During that event and the same event the next year I filled up everything before summerset. I didn't get them all, so it cost a little, but I had enough dupes to end up ahead. So that pretty much made me a grand-master craftier. Of course, it did probably cost ~3mil in lost revenue that I could have made selling the motifs.

As to whether it was worth it.... Actually, probably not. I don't think I have ever made back the gold it cost in master writ sales. Simply put, the drop rate on master writs has not been much better with all motifs than without for most of the time and master writs are not really that valuable. The sweet spot is probably sitting with all traits learned but with few motifs. I also hate the outfit system. A simple transmog would have been nice, but this thing is just too much complexity and gold for me to care about it. I'm not sure I'll bother next event with learning any of this years motifs. I'll probably just sell them off as I do between events. That is totally worth it.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My top crafter is still on the journey. Motifs are acquired as needed for writs, and buying them is the second choice, but sometimes the only one. Traits are a click and wait thing for me, also. I haven't yet used any scrolls, although that could happen for a second crafter, because we've already had the "full experience".

I'm a bit annoyed that there isn't a lesser title for no-DLC completion. I.e. learn all non-DLC motifs, max all crafts except jewelry, and so on.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wasn't such a bad journey. Just did research anytime I could, maybe took 2 years.

The biggest hamper was actually having to buy a piece of nirnhoned gear for every single thing possible. It's pricey at times and sometimes you can go days without seeing a piece you need listed (atleast how it was on PS4 for me).

Now they've added Jewlery and that's a new beat for me to tackle. 1-50 was easy peasy, but the jewlery with traits to be researched seems quite rare, I only have 4 traits done per piece, with 5 left that won't drop.
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Having played other MMOs like Ultima Online, I knew the value of having a master crafter on day one of ESO. And that's when I started my crafter, with my first character. It took about 6 months or so to learn all the traits and I picked up or farmed all the motifs along the way. It takes about 2 to 3 weeks to get all of the crafting skills except enchanting up to level 50. Enchanting was the worst, it probably took 4 or 5 months for that, back when the game first started. I hear you can do enchanting a bit faster now. The jewelry skill took less then a week to get to level 50 and about 3 months to learn all the traits.

The main benefit of having a crafter is not so much the money you can make selling stuff, (although you can make money from it). It's the gold you can save by making your own armor, weapons, furniture, upgrades, etc.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
This discussion has been closed.