Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Sprint Bug

• Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, I think it has to do with the way that Windows 10 and ESO parse keystrokes.

It USED to be that when playing ESO, when you held down shift to sprint, you...sprant? and when you let go of the shift button, you stopped sprinting, because ESO parsed the keystrokes as simply "is the button being pressed right now or not."

HOWEVER, with the recent Windows 10 update, rather than the sprint key acting like a toggle, either the OS or ESO is parsing a held-down shift key as "shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift". When you let go of the shift key, either the OS or ESO still thinks there's a backlog of "shift" inputs that it needs to get through before other keyboard inputs are parsed, which is why you keep sprinting and aren't able to cast any abilities.

A simple test to demonstrate this: hold down shift and run for a bit, then IMMEDIATELY open up chat and type something. It'll be in caps for a bit, until the "shift" inputs get parsed through.
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • Lichbourne90
    Lichbourne90
    ✭✭✭
    Saucy_Jack wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I think it has to do with the way that Windows 10 and ESO parse keystrokes.

It USED to be that when playing ESO, when you held down shift to sprint, you...sprant? and when you let go of the shift button, you stopped sprinting, because ESO parsed the keystrokes as simply "is the button being pressed right now or not."

HOWEVER, with the recent Windows 10 update, rather than the sprint key acting like a toggle, either the OS or ESO is parsing a held-down shift key as "shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift-shift". When you let go of the shift key, either the OS or ESO still thinks there's a backlog of "shift" inputs that it needs to get through before other keyboard inputs are parsed, which is why you keep sprinting and aren't able to cast any abilities.

A simple test to demonstrate this: hold down shift and run for a bit, then IMMEDIATELY open up chat and type something. It'll be in caps for a bit, until the "shift" inputs get parsed through.

You must've forgot that sprint bug exist on ps4 and xbox
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then I guess it's an input-parsing issue on ESO's end, not Windows. But again, for what it's worth, I personally didn't have this issue until the last Windows 10 update; with that said though it's possible the Windows 10 update and some ESO update happened at roughly the same time.
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Then I guess it's an input-parsing issue on ESO's end, not Windows. But again, for what it's worth, I personally didn't have this issue until the last Windows 10 update; with that said though it's possible the Windows 10 update and some ESO update happened at roughly the same time.

I posted about this bug back in Nov 2017. So it is definitely not tied to the latest W10 update.

This is really a frustrating and unfortunate bug. My guess it has something to do with lag and inconsistent keyboard communication with the server. I really hope they can get this one worked out.
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

DirectX input functions populate a big data structure when queried storing the state of all keys pressed or not pressed at that time it was queried. That can be parsed however the game wants (usually a big switch statement). So what you describe shouldn't be possible...

But who even knows how ZOS queries the input on Windows........ What would seem obvious isn't usually the case with this game.

I have found when trying to do certain burnouts in GTAV that the keyboard controllers are usually limited to passing the state of only three simultaneous key hold-downs to the OS. That's a limitation of the keyboard hardware; not directx or Windows.

But who knows with this game.... Maybe when you try to sprint you're holding down three other keys for some reason. I joke.

Edit: actually the action of sprinting usually means two key presses usually. Press another two and things mess up.

Edit 2: I'm being told in another unrelated thread... rumors are that the game enforces global cool-down client-side. And allows for tampering with an apparently unencrypted data stream between client and server. And that this garbage data from the client is trusted. ZOS should hold their programmers' feet to the fire and stop accepting BS explanations for this stuff. Programmers are the biggest BSers ever in my experience. Especially the ones that work at ConnectWise and Tabs3. Or maybe just stop outsourcing the game development overseas....
    Edited by qbit on September 6, 2018 8:46PM
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koolio wrote: »
    Understand this is really frustrating, and we're working on getting it fixed. It's been a difficult one to nail down, but we are aware and working on it.

Well if ou need some more information here are some posts with videos. Been reporting since January and it’s just now received attention.

This is why I lose faith

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/392283/2h-attack-bug-na-ps4-causes-character-lockout#latest

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/414169/a-new-sprint-bug-that-causes-character-lockout#latest

Preach brotha
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Understand this is really frustrating, and we're working on getting it fixed. It's been a difficult one to nail down, but we are aware and working on it.

So what’s the deal been a few months since You commented on this 3+ months ago
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven’t experienced sprint but since the murkmire parch went live.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp