The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Which Templar skill do you think needs most needs a buff?

• Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun Shield
    If you had to pick one Templar skill that you would like to see the Devs improve/buff/change/make-great-again, which would it be and why?

Jesus Beam (Radiant Destruction) is getting re-buffed after several nerfs.
    The same cannot be said for Blazing Shield, even though Blazing Shield health-builds have several counters now, including Knight Slayer, Shield Breaker, and, of course, SLOADS.
    Templar's Blazing Shield needs to be re-buffed to its former strength, and/or at least on par with Sorcerer's shields, like Hardened Ward.
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Darkmage1337
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,800.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Piercing Javelin
    technohic wrote: »
    maxjapank wrote: »
    technohic wrote: »
    geonsocal wrote: »
    Templar
    Dawn’s Wrath
    Radiant Destruction: Increased the maximum bonus execute damage dealt by this ability and its morphs to 480% from 400%.

heck, who needs soul assault :p

someone on another thread brought up the idea of re-trailing some magplar jewelry to bloodthirsty...

had a chance to take some different characters through battlegrounds this weekend - radiant sure does work well there...

As is in live most players laugh at the use of RD as it’s a joke in DPS and more spammed by zeglings who feel good by getting killing blows and even there, it’s outclassed by sorcs delayed execute.

Your feelings about RD are acceptable, but there is no need to start calling people who use the skill “zerglings”. It just distracts from the whole purpose of the thread. Personally, I’m looking forward to the damage increase. 480% from 330% is a very welcoming buff.

Fair enough. Didn’t mean anything by it as much as just pointing out the perception

zergling huh, i prefer to think of myself as a zerg surfing "artiest" :o

just kidding...seriously though...radiant has always made me feel a bit like ironman in the game...and, that's a good thing for me...
    tumblr_mzb0fmUqYn1rwtl3wo1_400.gif
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solar Flare
    They all need attention.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Puncturing Sweeps
    Doesn't need a damage buff, needs a snare like biting jabs. Without it, its near impossible to use without first stunning your opponent in PvP (which templar also lacks besides that garbage javelin skill or ONE morph of charge that requires distance and can be dodged :D ). Biting jabs can get increased damage or something else if the snare is moved to both skills...

IF not this skill, then they should bring back stun on shards. Doesn't even need to be AoE, even stunning one person would make the skill actually useful besides a crappy support one.

And if honestly the argument against changing the rest of the skills is honor the dead/BoL, I would rather they erase that skill than keep the class as it is.
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun Shield
    MAKE SUNSHIELD GREAT AGAIN!
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sun Shield
    Honestly I'd just love a morph of the shield skill to be good for templar DPS, another to be good for templar tanks.

Having some level of uniqueness for all classes should be the goal, so we don't all run the same weapon and guild skills with passives being the only difference.
  • KingExecration
    KingExecration
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spear Shards
    I'd have to say shards. It still tells me to use shards to even the odds when out numbered ages after the nerf to it when looking at the death recap. Feels like the templar house is a house without any furniture when without a reliable stun. Eclipse is good against noobs and javelin doesn't feel right on a magplar at all unless you play ranged.
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Piercing Javelin
    Stamplar needs no buffs. It's quietly the strongest stam class in 1v1 and 1vX situations. I've been destroying with mine since the festival began.

I've not played much with Magplar but does sweeps not function basically the same as jabs? Jabs hardly ever misses anybody, and the splash damage that comes with it makes templar really OP in BGs. Why do magplars struggle with it so much?
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Puncturing Sweeps
    I'll go in a bit of a different direction:

From a PvE standpoint, a class should have at least one GREAT skill that other classes rightfully envy, like Liquid Lightning or Assassin's Will. Purifying Light is that for templars, so if anything I'd like to see it stronger. Alternatively, Reflective Light could be given a larger target cap, or Sweeps changes could be reverted.

For healing, just buff the Shards battery ability to gain more separation from Orbs, and templar healing would be secure in its strength, despite BoL having been nerfed to Oblivion (I'm in the large group that often doesn't slot it).

But above all, MRFA -- Make Repentance Fun Again!!
  • Thorstienn
    Thorstienn
    ✭✭✭
    Restoring Aura
    Out of the options.
    But would prefer the passives get a look at!
    Really would like a magic damage buff in there too.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Restoring Aura
    For reasons @Minno stated above, Radiant Aura would be the best place to start.

1. The 10% Regens should just be included in Restoring Spirit.

2. Radiant Aura should grant Minor Expedition while slotted.

3. Hasty Prayer should just be a magicka Vigor.

4. Repentance can be used once per corpse PER TEMPLAR.

5. On activation, Radiant Aura causes all enemies within X meters to miss their next attack. Also grants Major Sorcery and Brutality for Y seconds.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Restoring Aura
    The skil is outdated and overshadowed in every way
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Restoring Aura
    Passively grants Major Sorcery and Major Brutality for being slotted.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m having a hard time voting.

As a Magplar in pvp, I use Total Dark on my back bar, and my entire front bar is dedicated to dps spells - Punc Sweeps, Toppling Charge, Reflective Light (Vamp Bane), RD, and Purifying Light. And to get kills, I feel I need all of them. Usually begins with a light attack > Total Dark > bar swap > Reflective Light > Purifying Light > Toppling Charge > Punc Sweeps x1 or x2 > RD. I can live without RD, but I do get considerable kills with it. And the buff to RD is just going to make me stronger.
    But the main thing is I need all of these “damages.” None of them are big burst, but combined together they all add up, especially to Purifying Light’s final hit.

I would love for Punc Sweeps to get buffed more, just to single target. I'm afraid that increasing the overall aoe dmg might be too much. I dunno.

But when I think of Sun Shield and / or Restoring Aura, I think these get underused. And since I've heard that they are looking into better Stamina sustain, I guess I'd have to pick Sun Shield.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Restoring Aura
    Solariken wrote: »

5. On activation, Radiant Aura causes all enemies within X meters to miss their next attack. Also grants Major Sorcery and Brutality for Y seconds.

Honestly they should also swap shards synergy with restoring aura/repentance. Then make shards with a long duration but buffed damage with another morph that trades the ground dot for a stamina dodgeable projectile.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Restoring Aura
    Repentance.
    but I wouldn't say no to a sun shield buff...

I am a tankplar.
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun Shield

It forcing miss on opponent's attack is outright going to be OP buff.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • moonio
    moonio
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not replying to this because in my experience ZOS seem to take a note of which skills players find the most fun and potentially OP, then they nerf them to death..
    I have no idea why they continually do this, especially to the templar...
    Its like we are being punished for being good at our jobs..

• moonio
    moonio
    ✭✭✭✭
    But anyway if you want to see a true Templar in action you should watch the film Ironclad!
    Its where ZOS got most of the inspiration for the Templar class and siege mechanics in Cyrodill
    Its an awesome film too!

https://youtu.be/KnoTSlCzAuM

***Templar BizNiZ***
  • NobleX35
    NobleX35
    ✭✭✭✭

Ideas like this are going to destroy repentance... everyone can pretty much agree that repentance needs a buff, but lets not destroy the skill in the process. This suggestion would effectively cut the regen capability from upwards of 18k to a measly 3k, nearly a 600% nerf.

A better solution that has been made in the past is that other templars who have repentance slotted will also benefit from the corpse drain. This will prevent bickering about who can use it, since all templars can benefit, while simultaneously keeping the skill intact. Another solution would be to allow the ability to give half the amount of resources back to the group, so that everyone benefits at least alittle bit. Probably not as appealing as the first option, but at least diminishes the bickering, and again keeps the theme and usefulness of the skill intact.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war."
  • Thorstienn
    Thorstienn
    ✭✭✭
    Restoring Aura
    moonio wrote: »
    But anyway if you want to see a true Templar in action you should watch the film Ironclad!
    Its where ZOS got most of the inspiration for the Templar class and siege mechanics in Cyrodill
    Its an awesome film too!

https://youtu.be/KnoTSlCzAuM

***Templar BizNiZ***

I can't standby!
    It is an entertaining film, but incredibly historically inaccurate.
    For a true templar film... look no futher than Arn!
    Meanwhile I think they drew inspiration for the templar class from some WOW trailer I saw once (don't play it) where some king dude resurrects the entire army and goes all ham.
    Meanwhile that has nothing to do with this poll, which is reasonably well done by a class rep, though passives is missing ;)
    Edited by Thorstienn on July 31, 2018 2:13PM
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Restoring Aura
    Stamplar needs no buffs. It's quietly the strongest stam class in 1v1 and 1vX situations. I've been destroying with mine since the festival began.

I've not played much with Magplar but does sweeps not function basically the same as jabs? Jabs hardly ever misses anybody, and the splash damage that comes with it makes templar really OP in BGs. Why do magplars struggle with it so much?

Jabs does a lot more damage than Sweeps.
    NobleX35 wrote: »

Ideas like this are going to destroy repentance... everyone can pretty much agree that repentance needs a buff, but lets not destroy the skill in the process. This suggestion would effectively cut the regen capability from upwards of 18k to a measly 3k, nearly a 600% nerf.

A better solution that has been made in the past is that other templars who have repentance slotted will also benefit from the corpse drain. This will prevent bickering about who can use it, since all templars can benefit, while simultaneously keeping the skill intact. Another solution would be to allow the ability to give half the amount of resources back to the group, so that everyone benefits at least alittle bit. Probably not as appealing as the first option, but at least diminishes the bickering, and again keeps the theme and usefulness of the skill intact.

Sorry not sure I follow - once per corpse per Templar would be exactly how it works now when you're solo, except that all the Templars can do it. There isn't any diminishing effect. How does that destroy anything?

I agree with ZOS taking away the group resource restore, that was way too strong. But they half-arsed the change big time.
  • NobleX35
    NobleX35
    ✭✭✭✭
    NobleX35 wrote: »

Sorry not sure I follow - once per corpse per Templar would be exactly how it works now when you're solo, except that all the Templars can do it. There isn't any diminishing effect. How does that destroy anything?

I agree with ZOS taking away the group resource restore, that was way too strong. But they half-arsed the change big time.

I apologize, I missread what you were saying. I read what you said as a Templar can only Repent one corpse per use. I would definitely agree with once per corpse per templar. This allows every templar to get the drain without causing any bickering.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war."
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun Shield
    If you had to pick one Templar skill that you would like to see the Devs improve/buff/change/make-great-again, which would it be and why?

Make it scale of mag and give it the streak treatment.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solar Flare
    Solar flare ... more it's dark flare morph

Now seems an odd choice ... But hear me out

The defile only works if it lands ... It's a long channel and easily dodgeable...

I think it should be reworked

Dark flare, should create a gravity well remove defile and make so if it hits target it's a hard cc like runecage

If it dodged, it hits the floor but the gravity well creates a slow and pull back effect pulling you years the center of it self like a soft cc

Something templars really need
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sun Shield
    f047ys3v3n wrote: »
    It's embarrassing that the healer class's big skill is basically just a costly overheal that only heals one other player.
    There are a lot of different options you could try:
    1) Shield for the amount it overheals then you at least get the amount further from death that you paid for.

This is my favorite idea for a rushed ceremony buff.

A shield for 100% of the overheal would probably be OP, as it would essentially be a solid (bordering on OP) shield when at full HP, and a burst heal when at low HP in one skill (giving you a proactive and reactive defensive skill with one slot).

Maybe a shield for like 40% of the overheal? Then it's still useful but wouldn't be worth casting as a pure shield when at full health.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Restoring Aura
    Why am I fighting other stamplars for stamina sustain on trash fights when I have one poorly scaling sustain passive?

Why is my templar stamina management tool useless on bosses?

• DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sun Shield

The best explanation I've heard/personally feel for why Jabs feels good on stamplar and clunky on magplar is that stamplars tend to have strong HOTs running (vigor, rally, often bloodcraze bleed) while magplar typically only has ritual heal+sweeps heal (which has been nerfed down to a pretty marginal amount, despite the recent readjustment).

So damage-built stamplars have enough incoming healing to actually channel jabs, while a damage built magplar often has to interrupt their own channel to cast a relatively expensive self-heal.

This has been mitigated a bit by the little buff sweeps got a few patches ago, and magplars can run defensive sets/roll Rapid Regen to let themselves stay locked in a channel, but even then they don't have the mobility of a stam toon to roll in, drop ult, channel a few times, and run away. Generally, if a magplar is jabbing they are committed to that fight, win or lose.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Liofa wrote: »
    These are for PvE.

I wanna see Backlash scaling properly (not only with Max Stam/Magicka) and actually explode without bugging out.

Another change I would do is making Power of the Light return the full cost if the explosion charges up fully. Since it is rally hard to fully charge the explosion in PvP but really easy in PvE, this would help with the disgustingly low stamina sustain of Stamplars while helping out Templar tanks by a ton.

I think the best fix for this ability would be to make it scale from all things, max mag, crit, spell damage, etc.... but the damage is dealt throughout the duration, it copies damage, and deals like 10/20 % of the total damage you do.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun Shield

The best explanation I've heard/personally feel for why Jabs feels good on stamplar and clunky on magplar is that stamplars tend to have strong HOTs running (vigor, rally, often bloodcraze bleed) while magplar typically only has ritual heal+sweeps heal (which has been nerfed down to a pretty marginal amount, despite the recent readjustment).

So damage-built stamplars have enough incoming healing to actually channel jabs, while a damage built magplar often has to interrupt their own channel to cast a relatively expensive self-heal.

This has been mitigated a bit by the little buff sweeps got a few patches ago, and magplars can run defensive sets/roll Rapid Regen to let themselves stay locked in a channel, but even then they don't have the mobility of a stam toon to roll in, drop ult, channel a few times, and run away. Generally, if a magplar is jabbing they are committed to that fight, win or lose.

This is why I started running rapid regen last I was magicka. Still not nearly as good as Vigor plus forward momentum /rally as it actually gets pretty eaten up by sloads and defiles and while you have more magicka for extended ritual, you are not doing anything if you keep trying to cleanse everything. Feel like magplar should have a HOT. Self target only if they are afraid of buffing dedicated raid healers.