The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Which Templar skill do you think needs most needs a buff?

Joy_Division
Joy_Division
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
If you had to pick one Templar skill that you would like to see the Devs improve/buff/change/make-great-again, which would it be and why?

Which Templar skill do you think needs most needs a buff? 111 votes

Puncturing Sweeps
30%
Mojmirhedna123b14_ESOElsterchenfgulerneb18_ESO1Tanis-StormbinderAztlanMissBizzReverbBald_templarMr_NobodyParrot1986AedarylCryhavocKadoinLieblingsjungefireraptureQbikenimwargasmoBNOCLuthid 34 votes
Piercing Javelin
6%
kaithuzarStrider__RoshinAmdar_GodkillergeonsocalKurtAngle2WildRaptorXValabrog 7 votes
Focused Charge
6%
jhall03TasearKonstant_Tel_NecrisUppGRAYxDDVeuthjaws343Fur_like_snow 7 votes
Sun Shield
27%
MorbashDeadlyRecluseKilandrosSpringt-Über-Zwergejcasini222ub17_ESOtechnohicleeuxForztrDarkmage1337usmcjdkingWreckfulAbandonNeoauspexpsxflohBohnTRunefangSaint_BudWhite wabbitanadandycasparianIZZEFlameLash 30 votes
Spear Shards
9%
WuffyCeruleikojouCadburyToc de Malsvidatgladiatahchris211KingExecrationIngenonll_RevJXNwarrior 10 votes
Solar Flare
3%
SugaComaTremorsDrdeath20HJSmith24 4 votes
Eclipse
2%
Crafts_Many_BoxesStibbonsDragonredux 3 votes
Rushed Ceremony
0%
f047ys3v3n 1 vote
Restoring Aura
11%
SolarikenSkayaqMinnoSnowZeniaBrutusmax1musGrumpyDucklingDocFrost72GnortranermaraJimmy_The_FixerNarvuntienTheNightflamehuschdeguddzjeThorstienn 13 votes
Cleansing Ritual
1%
SpearpointSiliziumdioxid 2 votes
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puncturing Sweeps
    Since Radiant Destruction wasn´t added as an option I would go with sweeps. But I´m a bit divided between sweeps and sun shield to be honest.
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    These are for PvE.

I wanna see Backlash scaling properly (not only with Max Stam/Magicka) and actually explode without bugging out.

Another change I would do is making Power of the Light return the full cost if the explosion charges up fully. Since it is rally hard to fully charge the explosion in PvP but really easy in PvE, this would help with the disgustingly low stamina sustain of Stamplars while helping out Templar tanks by a ton.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Shield
    Sun Shield. This skill has functionally only one morph, and it's only useful to max health Durok's tanks, which should not be a thing (and one day soon won't be a thing, once Defile uptime is nerfed). (It also has a niche PVE application, but not in endgame content.)

Meanwhile, both templar specs are in great need of defenses other than healing in PVP. While I won't say bring back Blinding Flashes, it would be good if we got something along those lines back.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Focused Charge
    It would be great if Focused Charge had a stamina morph. Not the biggest fan of being forced to run specific weapon sets for a cost effective gap closer. For that matter, a stamina morph for spear shards would be excellent as well.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun Shield
    Liofa wrote: »
    These are for PvE.

I wanna see Backlash scaling properly (not only with Max Stam/Magicka) and actually explode without bugging out.

Another change I would do is making Power of the Light return the full cost if the explosion charges up fully. Since it is rally hard to fully charge the explosion in PvP but really easy in PvE, this would help with the disgustingly low stamina sustain of Stamplars while helping out Templar tanks by a ton.

then shouldnt puryfying light get the same treatment to refund the magicka costs? or a new effect? i think tanks wouldnt benefit from it, since they have to cast on the first hand and spend the costs, so getting those costs back doesnt give them any advantage (only if you force your templar tank to use that skill).
    in pvp this skill can only hit for its full potential, if several people hit on the target. in a solo situation you would have to deal around 60k damage (10k dps). and the storing up of the damage from several people already is stated as an issue in pvp.
    Edited by Checkmath on July 30, 2018 2:24PM
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puncturing Sweeps
    Tough question to answer. I guess Sweeps is the skill listed most in need of a buff. Having received first a damage nerf (courtesy of Burning light) then a healing nerf, it's now solidly "meh" in pve, and only effective in PvP against people who stand completely still, since 2 steps in any direction will cause it to miss.

Sun shield is the second listed skill in need of a buff. Of all class shields, it I'd the least used, and most limited usefulness.

I feel like the other skills listed are either in an okay-ish place, or need a complete rework as opposed to a buff. I want class roots, and I want a hard cc that doesn't knockback. Maybe one of the javelin morphs could be a downward bolt that stuns, and shards could offer 2 morph choices, one that returns resources to allies and one that roots enemies in the aoe range. That would be a difficult choice for players to make, which I think would be good.

I don't think Charge needs a buff, it just needs to be less buggy and work more consistently. I don't understand at all why the pathing works so differently from other gap closers.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puncturing Sweeps
    Puncturing sweeps for me.

Admittedly, I don't have serious issues with most templar skills in terms of usability, only damage potential but with the speed of players and mobility in general, sweeps can be hit and miss.

How to fix it I have no idea, attach a movement speed bonus to it upon activation so you can at least try and follow accurately? Up the damage and keep it the same? Who knows.The rest are just in need of changes to their soggy damage but I liked the "fully charged potl returns resources" idea that Liofa suggested.

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Restoring Aura
    restoring aura was my pick; here's why that other spells aren't worthy of a buff:
    - sweeps is plagued by things related to LAG or the nasty hitbox targeting. A buff wont solve this, and we will still have a templar pain point (lag renders channel use annoying to use).
    - potl works fine. It might be clunky for PVE or have some bugs associated with the final burst damage, but as with other items, its best to not mess with a skill that kinda works (especially since its cheap to cast).
    - blazing shield should be removed in favor of a more unique and potent defense mechanic or another damage ability both stam/mag can use to proc burning light. shields are boring, and this ability either overperforms due to the old 10k potential shield size or underperforms because battlespirit makes the final shield 15% instead of 30% shield size.
    - focused charge needs some changes, but until we have a defense outside of block/shield casts, gap closers will be harder to use than sprinting for pvp.
    - piercing jav just needs a large cost reduction when compared to other cc. Even though its highly countered, it has use (similar to how sorcs used frag stun and now miss it despite its highly countered nature). I also don't think uncounterable CC should be a thing, unless it's an AOE.
    - shard/flare/eclipse/rushed ceremony all have had buffs/changes over the last few patches. We don't need those currently, unless of course eclipse gets changed heavily similar to blazing shield bullet point mentioned above.

That leads one skill left, Restoring Aura:
    - templar needs sustain, BADLY.
    - current ability sees close to zero use due to its buff being more easily available on destro ele drain.
    - costs WAY too much
    - Repentance has some changes that need removed/adjusted to make competitive again.
    - has potential to be the sustain tool that rivals sorc's dark deal, NB's siphon strikes, DK's battle roar, and Wardens healing buff. But only gives minor resource buff (which should be a passive) and a basic debuff buff that's overridden by a zero cost ability.

Heres what can be done:
    - move passive so all templars can receive a 10% buff to resources.
    - both morphs of this spell are zero cost.
    - repentance just needs its 1-templar cap removed or its stamina return given to 6 allies (or a special condistion that .
    - new restoring aura will be an AOE spell with 2 potential options we can decide on;
    1) AOE buff that hits all friendlies around the templar. This buff causes all allies to receive small additional resources while being healed inside your healing circle, but once you purge an effect you receive a large amount based on your missing stat. 2) AOE debuff that hits all enemies that return a small resource over time. Blocking targets give back a larger portion of your stats.
    - Then add another resource gain similar to how DKs received a sustain on burning/poison, except maybe have it based on hitting a target hit by a dawns wraith ability or maybe on crit attacks (i would have suggested resources based on healing, but that was already given to wardens.)
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puncturing Sweeps
    Sweeps...Make the duration .6 sec and decrease the number of hits to 2, half the cost...wouldnt change the overall damage, but would gain us the LA in between...pretty good buff imo.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Passives.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can't honestly vote for anything because I'd need to see the Templar function properly before I make a judgement on the power of the existing skills. Two of the most [potentially] useful skills in my arsenal, Puncturing Sweeps and Toppling Charge, barely function in a real-time battle, so making them more powerful would be like adding a truck motor to a bicycle with a flat tire.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sun Shield
    I'm a templar optimist, but picking just one skill is rough.

Sun shield is in a really bad place. The most recent nerf more or less eradicated "the blazing shield tank" build in PvP (and it was never much good in PvE), but the skill just isn't useful in on a non-HP stacked character. I tried using it as a "defensive proxy" where I only cast it when I'd be hitting a bunch of people to increase it's size, and it's just not enough. Even hitting like 10 people with it doesn't make it big enough to justify slotting on a character with a "normal" amount of HP.

Rushed Ceremony needs something--Breathe of Life is officially dead, imo, and I generally prefer Healing Ward to Honor the Dead

The PTS buffs to rune focus are awesome.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun Shield
    Sun shield. All the rest I see used at least to some degree. Doesn’t mean they’re great but they aren’t dead like Sun Shield is now. Used to be an iconic thing to hear people say “get away from that Templar!” Now it’s a joke even on trollplar builds.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun Shield
    And honestly the more we keep hashing this stuff out to relay to the devs over and over, and I read this stuff; I get further down on the class. Even though I love my Templar and can make it work, I just know how true these issues all are I mean jabs is still run al the time and you’d think a cone would be easier to hit a target than a direct single target ability would be but it just isn’t. And the damage on surrounding targets doesn’t make up for it either.

No offense to the class reps meant. Not your fault things are how they are now.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Restoring Aura
    technohic wrote: »
    And honestly the more we keep hashing this stuff out to relay to the devs over and over, and I read this stuff; I get further down on the class. Even though I love my Templar and can make it work, I just know how true these issues all are I mean jabs is still run al the time and you’d think a cone would be easier to hit a target than a direct single target ability would be but it just isn’t. And the damage on surrounding targets doesn’t make up for it either.

No offense to the class reps meant. Not your fault things are how they are now.

Just take it one step at a time. No point getting burnt out by trying to get everything done at once.

We had success getting templar defense buff modernized; it wouldn't be shameful to now be optimistic about additional changes coming in.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you had to pick one Templar skill that you would like to see the Devs improve/buff/change/make-great-again, which would it be and why?

Templars are already extremly overpowered in group play. 10-15 capable stamplars ball group can zerg down entire cyrodil taking *** load of damage healing ,DOTs and purifying everything . No other class can even dream of doing it. On 1v1 its still good class on stamina builds.
    Edited by Priyasekarssk on July 30, 2018 7:00PM
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Piercing Javelin
    what the hecks man...where's da jesus beam option?!?

my vote goes for the javelin - I wish we could send people to the other side of the map with it...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »

my vote goes for the javelin - I wish we could send people to the other side of the map with it...

Hard to judge because we don't know how the increase to 480% damage will play out.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puncturing Sweeps
    I miss jabs before they had to keep nerfing/buffing it to make up for their constant confusion on if we should have major/minor mending etc.
    Reverb wrote: »
    Tough question to answer. I guess Sweeps is the skill listed most in need of a buff. Having received first a damage nerf (courtesy of Burning light) then a healing nerf, it's now solidly "meh" in pve, and only effective in PvP against people who stand completely still, since 2 steps in any direction will cause it to miss.

Sun shield is the second listed skill in need of a buff. Of all class shields, it I'd the least used, and most limited usefulness.

I feel like the other skills listed are either in an okay-ish place, or need a complete rework as opposed to a buff. I want class roots, and I want a hard cc that doesn't knockback. Maybe one of the javelin morphs could be a downward bolt that stuns, and shards could offer 2 morph choices, one that returns resources to allies and one that roots enemies in the aoe range. That would be a difficult choice for players to make, which I think would be good.

I don't think Charge needs a buff, it just needs to be less buggy and work more consistently. I don't understand at all why the pathing works so differently from other gap closers.

Agree with you pretty much all around. Honestly I didn't vote Sun Shield because IMO it just needs a complete rework.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Piercing Javelin

Hard to judge because we don't know how the increase to 480% damage will play out.

you're so darn smart :)

i had forgotten about the upcoming change mentioned in the PTS notes:

Templar
    Dawn’s Wrath
    Radiant Destruction: Increased the maximum bonus execute damage dealt by this ability and its morph to 400% from 330%.

so wow, they've bumped it to 480% now - yeah baby B)

PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    First ZOS should fix bugged ones (damage scaling etc)
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Restoring Aura
    I chose Restoring Aura simply because both morphs have problems. IMO, the other abilities on the list only need one morph to be tweaked, but they all have at least one that is functional.

Radiant Aura makes no logical sense. The skill costs far too much to apply a debuff that is free using destro staff, only needs to be applied to bosses, and gains are limited to once/second no matter how many targets you hit.

Repentance is the only ability in the game with antisocial penalties when multiple people run it.

Puncturing Sweeps - this skill is in a good place, leave it alone
    Piercing Javelin - magicka morph should pull
    Focused Charge - needs a stam morph (and needs debugging)
    Sun Shield - needs a magicka-scaling morph!
    Spear Shards - needs an AOE root, at least on one morph
    Solar Flare - Dark Flare is fine; Solar Barrage needs less nerfing
    Eclipse - damage is fine, but the mechanics of this ability need work
    Rushed Ceremony - HtD is fine, BoL is trash
    Cleansing Ritual - mostly fine (other than needing a 15% damage/healing buff to make up for the unfair cost increase)
    Edited by Gnortranermara on July 30, 2018 8:55PM
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Piercing Javelin
    Templar
    Dawn’s Wrath
    Radiant Destruction: Increased the maximum bonus execute damage dealt by this ability and its morphs to 480% from 400%.

heck, who needs soul assault :p

someone on another thread brought up the idea of re-trailing some magplar jewelry to bloodthirsty...

had a chance to take some different characters through battlegrounds this weekend - radiant sure does work well there...
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Shield
    Sun Shield and nothing else is even close.

A single target capstone skill shield that is infinitely worse than Igneous/Fragmented Shield from DKs and scales poorly. Every other templar skill, despite Templar having some blatantly underpowered/underperforming skills, has it's place whereas Sun Shield just *** sucks and has no place outside of straight up meme builds.

I mean compare it to Igneous shield (which isn't even a capstone skill).

Igneous shield.
    - Stam Return from Earthen Heart
    - Weapon Damage & Ultimate from Mountain's Blessing
    - Major Mending
    - Shield partially extended to nearby allies

Blazing Shield
    - 15% extra melee block dmg provided you have no other aedric spear abilities on your bar.
    - 10% CHD provided you have no other aedric spear abilities on your bar.
    - Chance to proc burning light.
    - Explodes for half damage.

3 of those can be outright replaced by Blazing Spear.

TL; DR, SUN SHIELD *** SUCKS.
    Edited by usmcjdking on July 30, 2018 9:00PM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun Shield
    Templar
    Dawn’s Wrath
    Radiant Destruction: Increased the maximum bonus execute damage dealt by this ability and its morphs to 480% from 400%.

someone on another thread brought up the idea of re-trailing some magplar jewelry to bloodthirsty...

had a chance to take some different characters through battlegrounds this weekend - radiant sure does work well there...

As is in live most players laugh at the use of RD as it’s a joke in DPS and more spammed by zeglings who feel good by getting killing blows and even there, it’s outclassed by sorcs delayed execute.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Templar
    Dawn’s Wrath

As is in live most players laugh at the use of RD as it’s a joke in DPS and more spammed by zeglings who feel good by getting killing blows and even there, it’s outclassed by sorcs delayed execute.

Your feelings about RD are acceptable, but there is no need to start calling people who use the skill “zerglings”. It just distracts from the whole purpose of the thread. Personally, I’m looking forward to the damage increase. 480% from 330% is a very welcoming buff.
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Spear Shards
    I shoulda voted for sun shield T-T Both that and Spear Shards need a buff. Like at least one morph of Sun Shield should scale off max magicka and spell damage, similar to how Conjured Ward works. Spear Shards just needs a damage buff or that stun back.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Spear Shards

Templars are already extremly overpowered in group play. 10-15 capable stamplars ball group can zerg down entire cyrodil taking *** load of damage healing ,DOTs and purifying everything . No other class can even dream of doing it. On 1v1 its still good class on stamina builds.

I have yet to see this in Cyrodiil. Just because they work good in a group doesn't mean they're OP. OP in Cyrodiil is good at solo, group, etc., likes sorcs or nightblades.
    Edited by WuffyCerulei on July 30, 2018 9:35PM
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun Shield
    maxjapank wrote: »
    Templar
    Dawn’s Wrath

Your feelings about RD are acceptable, but there is no need to start calling people who use the skill “zerglings”. It just distracts from the whole purpose of the thread. Personally, I’m looking forward to the damage increase. 480% from 330% is a very welcoming buff.

Fair enough. Didn’t mean anything by it as much as just pointing out the perception
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rushed Ceremony
    It's embarrassing that the healer class's big skill is basically just a costly overheal that only heals one other player.
    There are a lot of different options you could try:
    1) Shield for the amount it overheals then you at least get the amount further from death that you paid for.
    2) It could be cheaper. You did increase the cost at least 3x back when resources were easy to come buy and it is terribly mal-adjusted now.
    3) You could add some durational major buffs to it such as say the one that gives you regen.

The bottom line for mPlars is that their skills are terribly costly and neither high in magnitude or utility. Wrobel famously said they are supposed to be able to stand there ground but I don't actually see any skills in their lines for that. They don't even have anything like mines or even a high damage ground DOT to make folks afraid. They are just immobile (they don't really have a choice about standing their ground do they), perpetually out of resources, and dependent on channels in a game where nobody ever uses channels (and quit trying to make us while writing mechanics that don't allow it).

Really, I could probably mention 5 different Templar skills that are class imperatives and just costly garbage. Templar is probably the class I have seen most throurally and systematically destroyed by the Wrobel. Deltia symbolically buried his last year and he is right. You couldn't pay me to play one.
    Edited by f047ys3v3n on July 30, 2018 9:55PM
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.