The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

StamDK still pretty new to BGs, couple frustrations - any advice?

Left4Daud
Left4Daud
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey all so I've been running my medium armor stam DK through battlegrounds and I think its going well for the most part.

I'm having trouble when I run into some other specs so I'm seeking any advice. The one that has really been giving me a headache are those stamblades that either burst you down hit and run style while you are fighting other players, or if you happen to catch them alone - they run like hell and cloak whenever you have the upper hand then just gank you when you focus on other players or the objectives.

I've tried using volatile armor spikes and evil hunter to counter these players but my slow stamDK feels so helpless pinning them down. I feel like I can hold my own if they fight me one on one but I'm having trouble securing the kill because anytime I get the upper hand they disappear, and I mean these guys are fast. For example in the deeping drome map with the tunnels, I was fighting the stamblade by the green spawn, as soon as I was about to start going for the kill he had already ran to the tunnels and disappeared. Then I start engaging the rest of his team and boom, incap > relentless or whatever their gank combo is.

What else as a stamDK can I do to fight these guys? Mostly my trouble again comes from securing the kill on these fleeing opponents.

Second are the super tanky templars/wardens that sit in their trees/runes and eat all the damage and burst I can throw at them. They can't kill me, but I usually can't kill them (unless I catch them already weakened or have help gunning them down) but usually they are able to camp an objective while I'm wailing on them, just long enough for the rest of their sloads wearing, rune cage spamming teammates to come roll me over.

In deathmatch sure I can ignore the tanky players but in the objective modes I am forced to interact with them? I run with a complete PUG and I find myself A LOT fighting 2 or 3 of the enemy team on a flag and getting rolled its so frustrating.

Shield spamming sorcs are a bit annoying but usually not too bad. Sometimes have a hard time securing a kill on them as well.

But I really want to nail these damn Stamblades that run whenever they are losing a 1v1 then come back to full ulti burst gank you when you are fighting their team.

And the tankplars/wardens that camp on objectives with their heals/defenses. Guess you can only do so much when pugging.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Left4Daud on July 29, 2018 12:51AM
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try speed/lingering health pots, you're going to be pretty slow and useless without them.
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Left4Daud wrote: »
    Hey all so I've been running my medium armor stam DK through battlegrounds and I think its going well for the most part.

I'm having trouble when I run into some other specs so I'm seeking any advice. The one that has really been giving me a headache are those stamblades that either burst you down hit and run style while you are fighting other players, or if you happen to catch them alone - they run like hell and cloak whenever you have the upper hand then just gank you when you focus on other players or the objectives.

I've tried using volatile armor spikes and evil hunter to counter these players but my slow stamDK feels so helpless pinning them down. I feel like I can hold my own if they fight me one on one but I'm having trouble securing the kill because anytime I get the upper hand they disappear, and I mean these guys are fast. For example in the deeping drome map with the tunnels, I was fighting the stamblade by the green spawn, as soon as I was about to start going for the kill he had already ran to the tunnels and disappeared. Then I start engaging the rest of his team and boom, incap > relentless or whatever their gank combo is.

What else as a stamDK can I do to fight these guys? Mostly my trouble again comes from securing the kill on these fleeing opponents.

Second are the super tanky templars/wardens that sit in their trees/runes and eat all the damage and burst I can throw at them. They can't kill me, but I usually can't kill them (unless I catch them already weakened or have help gunning them down) but usually they are able to camp an objective while I'm wailing on them, just long enough for the rest of their sloads wearing, rune cage spamming teammates to come roll me over.

In deathmatch sure I can ignore the tanky players but in the objective modes I am forced to interact with them? I run with a complete PUG and I find myself A LOT fighting 2 or 3 of the enemy team on a flag and getting rolled its so frustrating.

Shield spamming sorcs are a bit annoying but usually not too bad. Sometimes have a hard time securing a kill on them as well.

But I really want to nail these damn Stamblades that run whenever they are losing a 1v1 then come back to full ulti burst gank you when you are fighting their team.

And the tankplars/wardens that camp on objectives with their heals/defenses. Guess you can only do so much when pugging.

Thanks for any advice.

Have volatile armor front bar and pop it as soon as they stealth.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• chris211
    chris211
    ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for any advice.

dont play stamdk they are in a bad spot this patch
  • Mister_DMC
    Mister_DMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam DK is fine, run fossilize. Helps secure lots of kills. Currently running mine in 2 trollking, 5 fortified Brass medium, 3 agility, master dw and asylum 2h.

Use speed pots. I use the immovable Version but the lingering ones would work too. Typical combo is a stampede into noxious breath then fossilize. Bar Swap rending slashes then venomous claw. At this point you'll know whether or not the enemy is ready for the kill. Lots of movement is key and brass saves you from alot of burst.
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would definitely reccomend a tankier setup. Stamblades hit very hard and unless you have the survivability to pressure them you aren't going to do much. Go heavy or use medium with a set like fortified brass.

Your leap ult also can't be dodged so use that when they are already half/low hp, never start a fight against a nb with it because you don't want to scare them away, you want to kill them. Hit them with a dizzy untill they are around half hp then follow with leap into execute and 90% of stamblades will be dead.

Also just a little tip I do from when I fight them is I noticed most stamblades always use gap closer then incap right away since it's so cheap so when you see them using ambush/rush just hold block to make them waste incap so their burst is basiccally gone then you can open up your burst.

Edited by Crixus8000 on July 30, 2018 2:34AM
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    chris211 wrote: »

Thanks for any advice.

Fake news
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speed pots + lingering health. Get troll king monster set. Play a nord.

Transmute your jewerly to swift trait to get +30% speed, with stam regen enchants.

Take the steed as mundus.

Enjoy +70% speed and a huge HP regen : LoS when you start to feel you're in a bad spot.

This is the most important part to survive as a stam class in the battlegrounds.
    Edited by Sarousse on July 30, 2018 5:52PM
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mister_DMC wrote: »
    Stam DK is fine, run fossilize. Helps secure lots of kills. Currently running mine in 2 trollking, 5 fortified Brass medium, 3 agility, master dw and asylum 2h.

Use speed pots. I use the immovable Version but the lingering ones would work too. Typical combo is a stampede into noxious breath then fossilize. Bar Swap rending slashes then venomous claw. At this point you'll know whether or not the enemy is ready for the kill. Lots of movement is key and brass saves you from alot of burst.

curious your bars on dw/2h. i'm using the following and don't have room for gap closer stampede

2H; noxious / wings / forward momentum / fragmented / volatile
    DW: venom claw / spin 2 win / fossilize / rending slash / vigor
    twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

Thanks for any advice.

Fake news

Omg totally lmao called it dude
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Troll king, heavy armor, argonian, immovable speed pits, protective jewelry traits. Uh makes a super beast with this setup.....
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There’s nothing you can do against a competent stamblade if you queue solo.

The counter to stamblades is being in a group.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
    You just have to survive the initial attack. 9 times out of 10 when I can survive the gank with healing, shields, and pots, all that's left is to stun them (I use fossilize) then double whip and they should be pretty close to death. Stamblades are typically pretty squishy, as the idea is to spec everything into burst damage.

For a stam dk, I might even suggest wearing heavy armor... You won't deal as much damage, for sure, but there are some sets that will let you have pretty decent damage output, and in heavy armor, it'll be hard for gankers to take you out quickly. Then once their initial attack fails, CC them, put the dots down, and wail until they're dead, which shouldn't take long.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just have to survive the initial attack. 9 times out of 10 when I can survive the gank with healing, shields, and pots, all that's left is to stun them (I use fossilize) then double whip and they should be pretty close to death. Stamblades are typically pretty squishy, as the idea is to spec everything into burst damage.

For a stam dk, I might even suggest wearing heavy armor... You won't deal as much damage, for sure, but there are some sets that will let you have pretty decent damage output, and in heavy armor, it'll be hard for gankers to take you out quickly. Then once their initial attack fails, CC them, put the dots down, and wail until they're dead, which shouldn't take long.
    Heavy armor is mandatory. So is wings. So is troll king.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

• Left4Daud
    Left4Daud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I switched to Troll King, medium/heavy fortified brass, and wings on my bar it’s been a game changer. I miss the damage of my old set up but definitely don’t miss getting deleted by gankblades opening combo.

Wish I could work some more mag recovery into my setup, all my utility skills are expensive Magicka ones. But I guess you guys all know that haha.

Thanks for all the tips and recommendations everyone and maybe see you in the fight.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah idk.. if ZOS trully wants to keep mag dk sustain in check or whatever then hit them with cost increases on mag dk primaries like whip etc. Stam DKs are strangled by the price of their utility skills. I understand keeping things like wings as a price commitment, but i dont understand why spiked armor, FoO, GDB, chains, obsidian sheild cant reasonably get a small cost reduction to give stam DKs a bit of breathing room and options instead of being cost prohibitive.

Im not advocating for cost increase on mag dk, just trying to put myself in ZOSs shoes as to why they deemed the price of these utility skills need to cost what they do. Things like molten weapons has a healthy duration to justify its cost, and again wings is a strong ability and needs to have a level of commitment to it. Everything else, sorry but no.
    Edited by exeeter702 on July 31, 2018 11:03PM
  • Mister_DMC
    Mister_DMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mursie wrote: »
    Mister_DMC wrote: »

curious your bars on dw/2h. i'm using the following and don't have room for gap closer stampede

2H; noxious / wings / forward momentum / fragmented / volatile
    DW: venom claw / spin 2 win / fossilize / rending slash / vigor

2h bar, Stampede, reverse slice, noxious breath, fossilize, forward momentum and Take flight.
    Dw bar, Venomous claw, fragmented shield, rending slashes, volatile armor, vigor and Corrosive armor.
  • Mister_DMC
    Mister_DMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

I'll agree with Trollking the rest isn't.
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i don't think heavy is mandatory - surprised u think so.
    twitch.tv/mursieftw
  • The_Brosteen
    The_Brosteen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

Thanks for any advice.

Fake news

Shhhh let the people think what they want
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I main a stam dk. Run to their strengths. Dots, heavy armor, ultimate regen, one hand and shield. Bloodspawn will do you wonders. Bone pirate is amazing. Clever alchemist is great! Seventh legion is great, veiled hesitance is great.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mursie wrote: »

i don't think heavy is mandatory - surprised u think so.

With swift jewelry trait in game there’s no reason not to be in heavy. DK is a healing-received class and heavy armor synergizes so well with that. You also need the extra mag regen from constitution to sustain the mag-heavy buff rotation.

Try using a vMA 1h to sustain mag if you have one lying around. It’s acrually really really strong, especially in no cp.

• Left4Daud
    Left4Daud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was so close to killing this cheesey magblade when he feared me literally as a damage Sigil spawned and grabbed it. He then Ulti / executed me and proceeded to tbag me for 15 seconds because I guess damage Sigil kills are impressive?

Either that or I must be doing something right.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about detect pots?
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • The_Brosteen
    The_Brosteen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was so close to killing this cheesey magblade when he feared me literally as a damage Sigil spawned and grabbed it. He then Ulti / executed me and proceeded to tbag me for 15 seconds because I guess damage Sigil kills are impressive?

Either that or I must be doing something right.

He wasted his ult on you after grabbing the sigil?
    Ha
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    What about detect pots?

Great way to telegraph to competent NBs that you don’t have stamina or major expedition

• code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about detect pots?

Great way to telegraph to competent NBs that you don’t have stamina or major expedition

And how does it do that? To me, it's more of a "I won't tolerate you trying to cheat death by cloaking when you're one hit away from dying." The short duration means it's not something I'd use preemptively, but rather as an on-demand counter for NBs that try to slip away when they're about to lose.
    Edited by code65536 on August 6, 2018 6:02PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ecru wrote: »
    Try speed/lingering health pots, you're going to be pretty slow and useless without them.

cc immunity, speed and stam pots help ALOT. They are expensive though :\
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Bobleeswaggen
    Sarousse wrote: »
    Speed pots + lingering health. Get troll king monster set. Play a nord.

Transmute your jewerly to swift trait to get +30% speed, with stam regen enchants.

Take the steed as mundus.

Enjoy +70% speed and a huge HP regen : LoS when you start to feel you're in a bad spot.

This is the most important part to survive as a stam class in the battlegrounds.

Do you feel like you can run that speed setup in either medium or heavy or is medium preferred?
    Redguard Dragonknight - Ebonheart Pact - Denzel Roundbelly (PVP Main)
    High Elf Sorcerer - Ebonheart Pact - Skinny Roundbelly (PVE Main - Stormproof)
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With swift jewelry trait in game there’s no reason not to be in heavy. DK is a healing-received class and heavy armor synergizes so well with that. You also need the extra mag regen from constitution to sustain the mag-heavy buff rotation.

Try using a vMA 1h to sustain mag if you have one lying around. It’s acrually really really strong, especially in no cp.

been running BP/Prisoners - infinite sustain. I do have vMA snb laying around but have been enjoying the dw/2h master's dw and prisoner battle axe. Plus - I use fossilize which would be worthless if snb reverb bashing. I guess i could give it another look.
    twitch.tv/mursieftw
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about detect pots?

And how does it do that? To me, it's more of a "I won't tolerate you trying to cheat death by cloaking when you're one hit away from dying." The short duration means it's not something I'd use preemptively, but rather as an on-demand counter for NBs that try to slip away when they're about to lose.

There’s no such thing as a detect + stamina or a detect + speed potion. As soon as you use a detect pot, any competent sNB will just kite you with their own maj expedition pots. After 15s of you sprinting just to keep up with their nonsprint runspeed, you’re now out of Stam and have lower Stam Regen because no Stam pot.

Great way to turn yourself into a free kill if the NB is competent.

Thankfully most NBs aren’t.