Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

New Player Race Possibilities?

• Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    But the ones you've mentioned are muuuuuuch more of a reach, plus, making them a prestige option makes them a reward for leveling to 50 (or even some number of CP). Carrots for progression are helpful. They could also do prestige classes or subclasses.

Actually, it could be a good way to introduce a new race, which is rare by lore. Only a character which have a large set of achievements (like saviour of Morrowind, hero of tamriel, so on) can receive a quest and change a race
  • Mattock_Romulus
    Mattock_Romulus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tang Mo Beserkers and Ice Demons Necromancers!!!
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lilmothiit makes me squee. We would have 40,000 Lilmothiit bowmen wearing green, and that would be just FINE with me, the more the cuter.

I like the snake people too.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    Lilmothiit makes me squee. We would have 40,000 Lilmothiit bowmen wearing green, and that would be just FINE with me, the more the cuter.

I like the snake people too.

Everyone is like 'whahahh we can't have people having fun!' in a video game...

I for one would be a Lilmothiit wearing pink and brown
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could also do prestige classes or subclasses.
    You knew what would happen if you mentioned "prestige classes" where I could see it?
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/492733/class-specialization-idea/p1
    Indeed, I'll link to that (updated) idea of mine! :p;)
    Soella wrote: »
    Actually, it could be a good way to introduce a new race, which is rare by lore. Only a character which have a large set of achievements (like saviour of Morrowind, hero of tamriel, so on) can receive a quest and change a race
    True, that would make sense. And if the game had remained subscription-powered, that is how it ought to have been. Play one character to reaching some lofty goals, unlock new "prestige" race for your next playthrough...
    Sadly... that ship has sailed, been set on fire and sunk a looong time ago.
    These days its crown store, cash shop... and thus any new race will -certainly- come for a crown payment, maybe standalone like imperials, maybe bundled in an expansion... and the "rarity" will be reflected by an artificually inflated price and/or limited availability times I reckon (just like the "rare" mounts)
    Wish it was otherwise, but... that's the reality we have.
    Edited by TheShadowScout on December 14, 2019 10:01AM
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    More classes are better more races are better...

I would enjoy all of them.. damn the min maxers imo.
    Edited by DanteYoda on June 29, 2018 1:18AM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    I am on record disagreeing with the classes - for the simple reason that they cannot be "refitted" to existing characters, and thus might vex older players, both in an "Why do I now have to make yet another friggin' alt just to enjoy this new classiness" way, and even moreso in an "Why for [-censored-]'s sake was that [-censored-] class not [-censored-] available at launch, it would have made soooo much mose [-censored-] sense for that backstory of this main/alt of mine..."
    And vexing people generally is not a good idea if you want them to enjoy the game and have a good time.

Thus I keep coming up with ideas that -every- character can benefit from, no matter if they are newly generated of have been played since launch... like my aforementioned take on "prestige classes" to bring new classyness to -everyone- :)

More races are better tho in either case, since they Do sell racechange tokens in the crown store, so... ;)

Edited by TheShadowScout on December 14, 2019 10:01AM
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am on recortd disagreeing with the classes - for the simple reason that they cannot be "refitted" to existing characters, and thus might vex older players, both in an "Why do I now have to make yet another friggin' alt just to enjoy this new classiness" way, and even moreso in an "Why for [-censored-]'s sake was that [-censored-] class not [-censored-] available at launch, it would have made soooo much mose [-censored-] sense for that backstory of this main/alt of mine..."
    And vexing people generally is not a good idea if you want them to enjoy the game and have a good time.

Thus I keep coming up with ideas that -every- character can benefit from, no matter if they are newly generated of have been played since launch... like my aforementioned take on "prestige classes" to bring new classyness to -everyone- :)

More races are better tho in either case, since they Do sell racechange tokens in the crown store, so... ;)

Well warden had no issues?
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Something wrong with the forums today, keeps doing two posts..
    Edited by DanteYoda on June 29, 2018 1:27AM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...where do you think I got my personal experiences with the sort of vexation I describe? :p;)
    I just wish they would not make me suffer through that again, and thus try to think of better ways!
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ...where do you think I got my personal experiences with the sort of vexation I describe? :p;)
    I just wish they would not make me suffer through that again, and thus try to think of better ways!

I'm confused why was warden not integrated right? seems fine to me?
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm confused why was warden not integrated right? seems fine to me?

I think the problem was that Warden wasn't released from launch alongside the other 4 classes, so when it came out, the seasoned veterans who already knew which classes they liked and didn't like, didn't like having to go through the whole process again with a new class.

Sorry if that sounds odd. Made sense in my head.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    most of these break tes lore and would definitely break tes lore if 100's of players ran around as these.

dwemer/ aylied/ snowelves/ Lilmothiit are definitely out as they arnt alive/ present in this time, even if we included them in some time themed dlc, players still couldnt play them as them running around on tam is a no go

anything from akiviri is out because it wouldn't make since for a large portion of them to be on tam without the presents of some kind of invasion that would be documented in history at this time

sloads and dremora , goblins dont make since as a large portion of sloads on tam would again be an invasion and wouldn't make since story wise, would be hard to cast sloads and goblins as a hero. Dremora would be be called back to the dedric prince to whom they are bound if they defected

reachmen and maomer are probably the best bet but it would be hard to explain a large number of these defecting

If anything adding some kinds of hybrid system where you could kinda choose your characters parents could be likely were you get watered down vers of the traits for both but tes would then have to decided if beasfolk can breed with mer and men, this doesnt really work as the established hybrid races took a long time to develop, altmer and nedes didnt just make a baby that possessed traits of both it took time to cement that, each generation the needs got more highelf

• Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    awesome!
    would like to see Akaviri(some of them at least!), Kothringi, Kamal, Tang Po or Tsaesci or Snow-elves.
    think it would enrich the environment a lot ;)
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would consider my self pretty familiar with ES lore, but there are a few races I actually didn't know existed. lol.

I would like Lilmothiit, guess why.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maormer would be my main bet but Summerset would be the obvious place to add them.
    That ship has sailed.
    Reachmen is pretty plausible in an western Skyrim expansion.

Elseweyr could add Maormer but here more Khajiit types would be far more fitting, Ohmes-raht would be an easy one.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Enokariel
    Enokariel
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, if ZOS decides for more racial options, it would be something like subraces - colovians and nibenese for imperials, Anequinians and Pelitinians for khajiit and so on...
    I like the pictures from the original posts, but only the goblins and perhaps the reachme will give any sense, all other options are too much unheard of.
    That is the same of maormer - the clasical races often mix and are not necessarily loyal to their racial country. (Most of all the imperials, where being against the present cyrodilic empire makes sense.) but never in all the lines is there even one Maormer emigrant/immigrant who works with other races (well, to be honest, I do not know so throughfully the Summerset line, but I have not met any maormer jus quietly living and selling goods or working normal daily jobs and being home there, where you can found even rare redguard immigrants).
    Edited by Enokariel on June 29, 2018 8:59AM
  • yiasemi
    yiasemi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enokariel wrote: »
    In my opinion, if ZOS decides for more racial options, it would me something like subraces - colovians and nibenese for imperials, Anequinians and Pelitinians for khajiit and so on...
    That's great, roleplaying a sheep worrier, sorry rustler from Chorrol, a rugged Colovian vintner who wrestles mountain lions because he can't find a wife, a Nibenese n'er do well who um never does well. Now if we just had Oblivion faces too....

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmurra2 wrote: »
    It is interesting, but ten playable races at maximum is all we have ever gotten in all elder scrolls games. I don't think they plan to change that.
    Read my post:
    ...more races then the "classic ten" which were not quite as classic as many others assume, actually (TES:Arena and TES-II:Daggerfall only had eight, imperials and orcs became playable only from TES-III:Morrowind onward; TES:Battlespire even had only six, missing also argonians and khajiit... and TES:Redguard obviously had only one through the premade character thing, but that doesn't really count anyhow)
    Back in the beginning, they had "eight playable races at maximum". Then they got the idea to add two more in TES-III. So... two games with eight, one with six, three games with ten. Now ESO... with nine plus one. Who is to say they cannot make it nine plus two, nine plus three, nine plus four, nine plus... you get the idea?
    And thus the post above, to outline which options might be possible, and which would not be a good idea due to lore or game mechanics issues.
    Only remaining question would be... would enough people -pay- for it to make it worth spending developer resources on? ;) Because that is where they will be thinking about plans to "do or do not"...

The problem with the whole, "but there were only eight in Arena and Daggerfall," response is, simply put, the ten races we have represent a wide, mostly socially acceptable, core of "civilized," Tamerillic society. And, to be fair, back in Arena and Daggerfall, Orcs were just combat fodder, and have been elevated to full on status of being one of the fully fleshed out civilizations.

So, we have a three part test. You need a race that can go anywhere, and interact socially with any other race, you need a race that is civilized, and you need a race that is feasable from a gameplay position.

The problem is, none of those pass all three parts.

There's no fundamental reason you couldn't have a game where you played a minotaur. However, they can't interact with civilization in any meaningful way. The same is true of goblins. You simply can't walk into town, when your entire race is nominally considered a pest to be eradicated on sight.

This also becomes a problem with examples like the Snow Elves. They're not automatically viewed as hostile, but they would require entirely new dialog to reflect the, "what are you?" element. Even in the Second Era, the Falmer are basically forgotten, and while there's some room to play with the whole, "last of your kind," thing, that's mostly just wanting to roleplay a character who's special in some way. Which leads to another problem.

Part of the reason player characters can't step outside that threshold in ESO is because you need to account for the possibility that every player will pick that race. It's not likely, it's not reasonable, but it is a legitimate concern. "Oh, you're the last of the Falmer? The thirty-fifth to come into my shop this week." Kinda... takes the sting out of the whole, "believed extinct" part, doesn't it?

The Lilmothit are a similar story. They're suspected extinct, because no one has seen one in decades. They were always reclusive, kept to the southern edges of Black Marsh, but, they're probably all dead. Which doesn't fit well when you can step outside your front door, and see 7 of them taking quests from the Mages Guild (who would certainly make a note of that.)

Alyieds are a little different. You're not wrong, this is a nitpick. They are (probably) dead. But the whole, cryptids of Cyrodiil isn't quite right, because the Wild Elves did survive into the early second era. The last, known, Wild Elf died a little over 200 years before ESO starts. So, they did exist, but they are dead now.

Also, I'm sorry, this idea is terrible:
    They -could- be done as PC race, but if so, I would expect them to be as rare as apex mounts... either by hiding their racial unlock in crown crates at the same rarity, ot by charging an insanely inflated price.

I've seen MMOs do this before, and the balance is absolute ********. Made worse because it would be a fundamental betrayal of the crown store as, "just cosmetic and convenience." You can make that argument about the Warden and Imperial being in there if you want, but intentionally gating a race behind an RNG paywall would be utter ********. Especially given ESO's tendency for streaky RNG.

In Star Trek Online, I've got multiple characters of a race that costs $250 to unlock. It was stupidly overpowered for years, and was still, easily, one of the strongest racial picks in the game, last time I played.

No. Just, no.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »
    most of these break tes lore and would definitely break tes lore if 100's of players ran around as these.
    You know what? -READ- the original post instead of just looking at the pictures, and you will notice I did mention which ones are possiblke, and which ones are not.
    And yes, all of them would be lore-iffy is everyone ran around as them, but try and get 100% of the players to do anything about their characters the same way... not gonna happen.
    Especially not since all those "possible" races would be crown store unlocks, and possibly with an added surcharge to reflect their rarity... how many people would pay, say, 3000-5000 crowns just to play as a maormer? Okay, so maybe I would, but... many others would not spend the crowns.
    zaria wrote: »
    Maormer would be my main bet but Summerset would be the obvious place to add them.
    That ship has sailed.
    Actually the obvious place to add them would be... a Pyandonea expansion!
    Which is entirely possible still... we met them as enemies in AD questlines and summerset, we could meet them in different ways a while down the road when the greatest heroes of tamriel (aka, our player characters) are granted a unheard of invitation to the sea elves homeland isle, to deal with something they need outside help for, as galling as that would be for them... could be some daedric threat is turning eyes to them after getting frustrated in tamriel, yes? And there certainly would be a ot of political tension, if you think the altmer were bad about letting people into summerset, wait until you see the maormer in their home... some fraction might call for the heroes aid, another might want to see them dead in a coral bank... It is not impossible, yes?

There are other options of course without going to the maormers homeland... lots of "high seas" around, lots of small islands around, lots of stories that could include the sea elves... even a "Search for Aldmeris" expansion might be possible! That direction would alllow the people at ZOS a lot of creative freedom after all...
    zaria wrote: »
    Reachmen is pretty plausible in an western Skyrim expansion.
    True. Personally I think that grouped together with a "Solitude Bardic Guild" could make a great expansion for next year... and reachmen could easily be done, just mix up breton and nord passives a little, the rest is already in the game...

And as mentioned:
    ...for example, they -could- make an expansion covering the three islands between Tamrial and Akavir - - there are three of them, Esroniet, Yneslea and Cathnoquey, each reputedly somewhere between the size of a starter island and standard region, those would almost certainly have been the staging area for the invasion ten years before the events of ESO, and thus be in akaviri hands... and so might make prime expansion territory, without deadric princes for a change, just find out the story behind that invasion, and prevent the next one? While showing off the akaviri races? And... make them available in the crown store?
    It certainly would make a good idea for the future, would it not?
    In my opinion, if ZOS decides for more racial options, it would me something like subraces - colovians and nibenese for imperials, Anequinians and Pelitinians for khajiit and so on...
    Which would be just the same as the main races, just with cosmetic differences. No need to add a new race for that, no sense to add a new race for that.
    People can already roleplay stuff they like... make a pale nord from northern skyrim or a tanned nord from southern skyrim, make a red-eyed, white-haired pure-blooded dunmer noble heir from vvardenfell or a grey-eyed, black haired dunmer servant child from deshaan who may have some mixed blood somewhere in their ancestry, etc.
    I like the pictures from the original posts, but only the goblins and perhaps the reachme will give any sense, all other options are too much unheard of.
    That is the same of maormer...
    True, they -would- be a rare sight... (though lore-wise less rare then... some of the more exotic mounts people ride, actually...) but there is lore supporting this.

There is a altmer letter in the game where someone mentions possibly having maormer blood, which would indicate the very idea is at least not unheard of. There were maormer living peacefully with khajiit on kenarthis roost, until they tried to invade it when they feared the island would join the dominion (and they just could not bear seeing their hated altmer cousins getting there ahead of them) during the AD starter island questline. And with all the raiding they do, it is concievable that maormer would be captured, and somehow end up unable to return, finding themselves exiled among the landwalkers until unfortunate events thrust them into assuming the role of unlikely hero... ;)

And we -know- from the lore not all the akaviri of the Dir-Kamal invasion ten years before ESO have perished, but some made their way to join up with descendants of earlier visits in Rimmen, in northern elsweyr... and will make an unsuccessful push for the ruby throne somewhen in the coming centuries. Again, unlikely, but not impossible...

Imga would be very possible, they -should- have been active in Valenwood at this time, ape-ing the altmer and all that, but... somehow got forgotten in eso and thus must be assumed to be all in hiding for fear of molag bal and his planemeld, most likely in falinesti... which would make an excellent DLC (or if they add a lot more regions to it, expansion) to introduce them with!

Kothringi and Liilmothit both are extinct at this time as a race - but as I mentioned, they died out only twenty years before the events of ESO, in the Knarhaten flu. It is not inconcievable that a lone survivor or several were outside their homelands during that time, and thus still around, even tho they would certainly not be enough to continue their race... they could -maybe- be viable as player race; though I would expect them to be made artificially rare (like, super-duper-apex crown crate rewards rare)
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been mentioned before, but... I thought it might be a good idea to have this foe easier reference, so...
    Anyways, many people think there is ample room in ESO for more races then the "classic ten" which were not quite as classic as many others assume, actually (TES:Arena and TES-II:Daggerfall only had eight, imperials and orcs became playable only from TES-III:Morrowind onward; TES:Battlespire even had only six, missing also argonians and khajiit... and TES:Redguard obviously had only one through the premade character thing, but that doesn't really count anyhow)
    So, let's take another look at the usual suspects, shall we?

First the ones we have already seen in the game as NPCs, even tho as antagonists (just like orcs were in the elder scrolls series, once upon a time... just like werewolves or vampires are, supposedly...):

Goblins
    11_2016_letter.jpg
    Despite what some people might say, they are technically possible. They are around, they are (barely) intelligent enough to talk, cast spells and craft stuff, so... they could theoretically be player characters. Thay are also a bit... unwanted... all across tamriel, due to generally being too primitive to follow the laws civilized people live by, and thus usually end up killed on sight or enslaved for "their own good", so it may be a little iffy... but then, we also can make bretons and wander through stonefalls during the DC invasion attempt without getting murdered by our pact allies, so an exceptional gobbo becoming a hero may perhaps not be too far-fetched. It would however be a reasonable idea to give them some racial drawback to represent this bad reputation... like, penalties for vendor business (get less gold when selling, spend more while buying) and bounty reactions (gain double bounty for crimes?)

Maormer
    aw_crwn_motif_pyandonean_1x1.jpg
    The sea elves would be entirely possible, they are around in this era, they are in the game, they have their own crafting style... all it needs is cobbling together some passives (maybe altmer/dunmer-istic but with storm damage bonus instead of fire?), and there we go. Yes, the race in general is isolationistic, and an antagonist race - and playing as maormer through the AD storyline or the Summerset expansion would be a little iffy. But no more so then playing as imperial in the bangkorai or reapers march questlines, or as DC race in bleakrock to stonefalls, or as AD race through shadowfen... (it might however be plausible to make maormer only playable for DC and EP, unless someone has an certain unlock... ;) Though perhaps not as proifitable, so I would not count on it...)

Reachmen
    1474458066212.jpg
    They can or can not be their own race, that is up to the developers, the lore would support both them being just primitive bretons, or them being a slightly different race thanks to lots of interbreeding with other people in the distant past... but they are in the game, have their own crafting style and so... easy to do if the powers that be decide they want to. Of course, again there are many questlines in Glenumbra, Bangkorai, The Rift or Orsinium where reachmen are the enemies, but... see above, no more iffy then having an imperial character fighting imperials in other quests or such.

...and then some we have heard of, or read about, but not actually really seen them...

Imga
    maxresdefault.jpg
    ...would be somewhat possible; they are technically around in this era, though they seem for some reason absent from valenwood in ESO, likely hiding somewhere in a pocket dimension like that vanishing village in greenshade (possibly in Falinesti) from Molag Bal and the soulburst troubles no doubt. But that would not preclude some being caught up in the issues and sacrificed by Mannimarco for vestige status before the rest of them got away... and thus becoming player characters (though there might be an inflated cost considering they seem to be a rare sight...)

Akaviri
    tumblr_ns6ec3nbRv1uc23y1o1_500.jpg
    ...are not one race but four. There is little lore if all of them were part of the akaviri invasion that took place a mere ten years before ESO - but lore does say there were survivors from that one, which eventually would make their way to Rimmen in northern elsweyr (DLC possibility?) where they join up with some human akaviri descendants from earlier visits who had once been a strong power in the empire... and make a push into cyrodil somewhen between this time and the rise of Talos in three of so centuries, though they fail to grab the ruby throne for good like everyone else in this time period... so all of them may be technically viable lore-wise... (since even iof the invasion was mostly, say, Kamal like the lore might indicate, they could plausibly have brought allies or slaves of the other races with them) though since they ought to be somewhat rare, it is a little questionable if they would be done (or at what price - adding a surcharge for extra-rarity would seem likely)

Tsaesci
    ancient_tsaesci_warrior__elder_scrolls__by_fkcogus333-dc0xfmo.pngTsaesciES1.jpg
    These golden-skinned snakepeople may be possible, depending on how the powers that be choose to depict them in ESO... they -are- supposedly somewhere between argonians and lamias in body structure, so they -could- be done in a humanoid enough way to be viable for all equipment... (and thus as viable player race - the question if they have legs or not has yet to be entirely cleared by the lore) or there could be two kinds of them, like with the D&D Yuan-ti where one breed/caste might have a more snake-body lamia-ish body structure, the other a more humanoid one, thus keeping both options open, with the humanoid caste available as player character race (since I doubt anyone would play a race that could not use leg and foot armor slots, yes?)
    1254f3a564b189196aac093378aac72f--elder-scrolls-skyrim.jpg

Tang Mo
    tumblr_molwcv43b01rlysmgo1_1280.jpgTang-Mo.jpg
    The monkey people of the thousand islands would seem entirely possible as palyer race. But they better also come with polearms to use staves in battle, hear! ;)

Ka Po'Tun
    8a86dedb5de9d35e02b6dd0f9d133810b1e53d72v2_00.jpg
    Not much is known about the Ka Po'tun except they are somehow "tiger-like", which could mean anything... a feline race like the khajiit, or perhaps a rakshasa-equivalent with fur-less human bodies and tiger head? Or something half-furred in between? Or perhaps even tiger-centaurs (which would make them unsuitable as player race of course due to non-humanoid body)?
    9e0c105dbaf1ce0f776ed360cf624809.jpg
    Or maybe they come in various forms like the khajiit depending on moon phases? Its really up to the developers, even though most fans envision them like the tiger-person picture I found... but there is little enough intormation that the poeple at ZOS could do as they wish with them...

Kamal
    24c78_81ee.jpg
    Little is known about the "Snow Demons", except that they may have been the bulk of the recent invasion that spawned the ebonheart pact, and that they are rumored to freeze solid during winters - something that would make them a bit iffy when it comes to player characters and questing in eastmarch... however, noone can really say if that is not a mere rumor anyhow, it -might- just be indicating a cold-blooded reptilian race that are sluggish in winter and thus prefer to hide in warm caverns during that time...
    Sf77_snow.jpg
    ...or perhaps more liklely ursine (aka, bear-like) race that hibernates...
    b0ae15a5049c71f9bf53e8012884b6d6.jpg
    ...or anything, really, and chalk up the legends to their lands being accessible only through mountaijn passes that are simply snowed shut during winter!
    Up to the developers.

...then there are some "maaaaaybe" races like:

Kothringi
    KothringiFemale.png
    The silver-skinned tribes of black marsh all died out in the Knarhaten flu. How-ever... that only happened twenty years before ESO, so its not entirely implausible that one or two "lone survivirs" managed to hold on, doomed to extinction, and got caught up in the troubles landing them in a coldharbour prison. They -could- be done as PC race, but if so, I would expect them to be as rare as apex mounts... either by hiding their racial unlock in crown crates at the same rarity, ot by charging an insanely inflated price.

Lilmothiit
    9d26e72a7d367e4e25da88a59ab7cf388c80adeb_hq.jpg
    Are in the same boat as the Kothringi. (not literally, since they for one were not taken aboard the crimson ship). Very unlikely as PC race, but not entirely impossible.

...and then, firmly on the "nope" side we have:

Dremora (and other humanoid daedra)
    elder_scrolls_08.jpg
    Playing as daedra is way more iffy, lore-wise, then anything else. I mean, come on... why would any quest giver trust a frikkin -demon- to actually help them??? Because that's what daedra are in TES lore! Thus any daedra who shows their face without some sorceror to hold their leash would be seen as mortal enemy, not potential ally. Remember how your stories all start with some sort of rescue? Well, forget that if you were a daedra! You'd get your throat slit before you even woke up after the coldharbour escape... you'd be a dead-ra at best! ;p ;)
    Now, yes, it -would- be cool to play a dremora, dark seducer, skaafin or whatever... but it would not fit into ESO. If they ever make a TES game for it though... starting in oblivion, serving your dark masters, going to mundus for questing to avert some dire threat to oblivion itself, facing the usual mobs plus enraged mortals, with adventurer groups as "bossfights"... it could be fun! But it definitely is -not- ESO!

Dwemer
    0e728231b2ffda9d439877df217bba7737b8ed5d_hq.jpg
    The deep elves are long gone in this era (with one exception), and they won't be coming back for as far as anyone knows - even in games set a thousand years later, noone has ever recorded seeing another living dwemer (and they would have, seeing how its one of the great mysteries of tamriel, and anyone who found out could have gotten free drinks from the fame along for life).
    Only way we will see them is in some "flashback" quest, like the nedes or chimer - which is entirely possible. But never as player characters without some serious lore breakage.

Sload
    600px-ON-creature-B%27Korgen.jpgartworks-000255035897-srt1je-t500x500.jpg
    ...are for one not present on Tamriel at this era (Sea Sload incursions into Sumerset aside), since they generally live on isles to the southwest of the continent; for another may be structurally unsuitable as player characters - they are supposed to be sluggish fat slug people, barely able to support themselves on land, which may not be all that great for player characters (I always kinda think of jabba the hutt when I read about them...)

Snow Elves
    cfbc1f3daec19bd9beacce28f5afc2f9--the-elder-scrolls-anime-art.jpg
    ...are long gone by the time of ESO. And the only remaining ones are in hiding until met in TESV:Skyrim-Dawnguard. Ther blind mutated descendants the Falmer may show up in some dwemer ruin beneath some skyrim reguin though...

Wild Elves / Ayleids
    gallery_35806_45_396082.png
    ...have more or less been wiped out by the alessian rebellions, and the cyrodillic empire that rose in their wake; some possibly seeking sanctuary among the altmer... There are rumors occasionally, but those "hidden Ayleids" are kinda like the tamriel-tastic equivalent of elvis sightings... someone's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate has seen one somewhere near someplace, they swear it was true... but whenever scholars go there to check, the reported Ayleids are nowhere to be found (or turn out to be a drunk altmer in torchlight dressing up in a costume on a dare).
    And thus... ayleids not really viable as player-race, long gone and only their ruins remain... though perhaps possible as NPC... and rejoice! We meet just one such NPC in the course of the coldharbour assault questline..

Atmorans have become Nords... Youkudans have become Redguards... Nedes have become Imperials... Chimer have become Dunmer... Aldmer have become Altmer...
    ...making all those races part of history, and no longer around in their ancient incarnation.

As for all giants, lamia, ogres, minotaurs, or other races that have non-humanoid or oversized bodies - obviously those are all unsuitable for PC races (Can't have a player race that would clip through half the scenery after all! Or a player that needs a completely new set of animations!)

(So, I think this time I gathered all the thoughts in one place ;-) )

Yes to Maomer and Dwemer because it makes sense. Scrolling further down however made me laugh and facepalm, Gorilla people!?? hahahaha

This isn't Tera.
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Chrysa1is wrote: »
    It has been mentioned before, but... I thought it might be a good idea to have this foe easier reference, so...
    Anyways, many people think there is ample room in ESO for more races then the "classic ten" which were not quite as classic as many others assume, actually (TES:Arena and TES-II:Daggerfall only had eight, imperials and orcs became playable only from TES-III:Morrowind onward; TES:Battlespire even had only six, missing also argonians and khajiit... and TES:Redguard obviously had only one through the premade character thing, but that doesn't really count anyhow)
    So, let's take another look at the usual suspects, shall we?

First the ones we have already seen in the game as NPCs, even tho as antagonists (just like orcs were in the elder scrolls series, once upon a time... just like werewolves or vampires are, supposedly...):

Goblins
    11_2016_letter.jpg
    Despite what some people might say, they are technically possible. They are around, they are (barely) intelligent enough to talk, cast spells and craft stuff, so... they could theoretically be player characters. Thay are also a bit... unwanted... all across tamriel, due to generally being too primitive to follow the laws civilized people live by, and thus usually end up killed on sight or enslaved for "their own good", so it may be a little iffy... but then, we also can make bretons and wander through stonefalls during the DC invasion attempt without getting murdered by our pact allies, so an exceptional gobbo becoming a hero may perhaps not be too far-fetched. It would however be a reasonable idea to give them some racial drawback to represent this bad reputation... like, penalties for vendor business (get less gold when selling, spend more while buying) and bounty reactions (gain double bounty for crimes?)

Maormer
    aw_crwn_motif_pyandonean_1x1.jpg
    The sea elves would be entirely possible, they are around in this era, they are in the game, they have their own crafting style... all it needs is cobbling together some passives (maybe altmer/dunmer-istic but with storm damage bonus instead of fire?), and there we go. Yes, the race in general is isolationistic, and an antagonist race - and playing as maormer through the AD storyline or the Summerset expansion would be a little iffy. But no more so then playing as imperial in the bangkorai or reapers march questlines, or as DC race in bleakrock to stonefalls, or as AD race through shadowfen... (it might however be plausible to make maormer only playable for DC and EP, unless someone has an certain unlock... ;) Though perhaps not as proifitable, so I would not count on it...)

Reachmen
    1474458066212.jpg
    They can or can not be their own race, that is up to the developers, the lore would support both them being just primitive bretons, or them being a slightly different race thanks to lots of interbreeding with other people in the distant past... but they are in the game, have their own crafting style and so... easy to do if the powers that be decide they want to. Of course, again there are many questlines in Glenumbra, Bangkorai, The Rift or Orsinium where reachmen are the enemies, but... see above, no more iffy then having an imperial character fighting imperials in other quests or such.

...and then some we have heard of, or read about, but not actually really seen them...

Imga
    maxresdefault.jpg
    ...would be somewhat possible; they are technically around in this era, though they seem for some reason absent from valenwood in ESO, likely hiding somewhere in a pocket dimension like that vanishing village in greenshade (possibly in Falinesti) from Molag Bal and the soulburst troubles no doubt. But that would not preclude some being caught up in the issues and sacrificed by Mannimarco for vestige status before the rest of them got away... and thus becoming player characters (though there might be an inflated cost considering they seem to be a rare sight...)

Akaviri
    tumblr_ns6ec3nbRv1uc23y1o1_500.jpg
    ...are not one race but four. There is little lore if all of them were part of the akaviri invasion that took place a mere ten years before ESO - but lore does say there were survivors from that one, which eventually would make their way to Rimmen in northern elsweyr (DLC possibility?) where they join up with some human akaviri descendants from earlier visits who had once been a strong power in the empire... and make a push into cyrodil somewhen between this time and the rise of Talos in three of so centuries, though they fail to grab the ruby throne for good like everyone else in this time period... so all of them may be technically viable lore-wise... (since even iof the invasion was mostly, say, Kamal like the lore might indicate, they could plausibly have brought allies or slaves of the other races with them) though since they ought to be somewhat rare, it is a little questionable if they would be done (or at what price - adding a surcharge for extra-rarity would seem likely)

Tsaesci
    ancient_tsaesci_warrior__elder_scrolls__by_fkcogus333-dc0xfmo.pngTsaesciES1.jpg
    These golden-skinned snakepeople may be possible, depending on how the powers that be choose to depict them in ESO... they -are- supposedly somewhere between argonians and lamias in body structure, so they -could- be done in a humanoid enough way to be viable for all equipment... (and thus as viable player race - the question if they have legs or not has yet to be entirely cleared by the lore) or there could be two kinds of them, like with the D&D Yuan-ti where one breed/caste might have a more snake-body lamia-ish body structure, the other a more humanoid one, thus keeping both options open, with the humanoid caste available as player character race (since I doubt anyone would play a race that could not use leg and foot armor slots, yes?)
    1254f3a564b189196aac093378aac72f--elder-scrolls-skyrim.jpg

Tang Mo
    tumblr_molwcv43b01rlysmgo1_1280.jpgTang-Mo.jpg
    The monkey people of the thousand islands would seem entirely possible as palyer race. But they better also come with polearms to use staves in battle, hear! ;)

Ka Po'Tun
    8a86dedb5de9d35e02b6dd0f9d133810b1e53d72v2_00.jpg
    Not much is known about the Ka Po'tun except they are somehow "tiger-like", which could mean anything... a feline race like the khajiit, or perhaps a rakshasa-equivalent with fur-less human bodies and tiger head? Or something half-furred in between? Or perhaps even tiger-centaurs (which would make them unsuitable as player race of course due to non-humanoid body)?
    9e0c105dbaf1ce0f776ed360cf624809.jpg
    Or maybe they come in various forms like the khajiit depending on moon phases? Its really up to the developers, even though most fans envision them like the tiger-person picture I found... but there is little enough intormation that the poeple at ZOS could do as they wish with them...

Kamal
    24c78_81ee.jpg
    Little is known about the "Snow Demons", except that they may have been the bulk of the recent invasion that spawned the ebonheart pact, and that they are rumored to freeze solid during winters - something that would make them a bit iffy when it comes to player characters and questing in eastmarch... however, noone can really say if that is not a mere rumor anyhow, it -might- just be indicating a cold-blooded reptilian race that are sluggish in winter and thus prefer to hide in warm caverns during that time...
    Sf77_snow.jpg
    ...or perhaps more liklely ursine (aka, bear-like) race that hibernates...
    b0ae15a5049c71f9bf53e8012884b6d6.jpg
    ...or anything, really, and chalk up the legends to their lands being accessible only through mountaijn passes that are simply snowed shut during winter!
    Up to the developers.

...then there are some "maaaaaybe" races like:

Kothringi
    KothringiFemale.png
    The silver-skinned tribes of black marsh all died out in the Knarhaten flu. How-ever... that only happened twenty years before ESO, so its not entirely implausible that one or two "lone survivirs" managed to hold on, doomed to extinction, and got caught up in the troubles landing them in a coldharbour prison. They -could- be done as PC race, but if so, I would expect them to be as rare as apex mounts... either by hiding their racial unlock in crown crates at the same rarity, ot by charging an insanely inflated price.

Lilmothiit
    9d26e72a7d367e4e25da88a59ab7cf388c80adeb_hq.jpg
    Are in the same boat as the Kothringi. (not literally, since they for one were not taken aboard the crimson ship). Very unlikely as PC race, but not entirely impossible.

...and then, firmly on the "nope" side we have:

Dremora (and other humanoid daedra)
    elder_scrolls_08.jpg
    Playing as daedra is way more iffy, lore-wise, then anything else. I mean, come on... why would any quest giver trust a frikkin -demon- to actually help them??? Because that's what daedra are in TES lore! Thus any daedra who shows their face without some sorceror to hold their leash would be seen as mortal enemy, not potential ally. Remember how your stories all start with some sort of rescue? Well, forget that if you were a daedra! You'd get your throat slit before you even woke up after the coldharbour escape... you'd be a dead-ra at best! ;p ;)
    Now, yes, it -would- be cool to play a dremora, dark seducer, skaafin or whatever... but it would not fit into ESO. If they ever make a TES game for it though... starting in oblivion, serving your dark masters, going to mundus for questing to avert some dire threat to oblivion itself, facing the usual mobs plus enraged mortals, with adventurer groups as "bossfights"... it could be fun! But it definitely is -not- ESO!

Dwemer
    0e728231b2ffda9d439877df217bba7737b8ed5d_hq.jpg
    The deep elves are long gone in this era (with one exception), and they won't be coming back for as far as anyone knows - even in games set a thousand years later, noone has ever recorded seeing another living dwemer (and they would have, seeing how its one of the great mysteries of tamriel, and anyone who found out could have gotten free drinks from the fame along for life).
    Only way we will see them is in some "flashback" quest, like the nedes or chimer - which is entirely possible. But never as player characters without some serious lore breakage.

Sload
    600px-ON-creature-B%27Korgen.jpgartworks-000255035897-srt1je-t500x500.jpg
    ...are for one not present on Tamriel at this era (Sea Sload incursions into Sumerset aside), since they generally live on isles to the southwest of the continent; for another may be structurally unsuitable as player characters - they are supposed to be sluggish fat slug people, barely able to support themselves on land, which may not be all that great for player characters (I always kinda think of jabba the hutt when I read about them...)

Snow Elves
    cfbc1f3daec19bd9beacce28f5afc2f9--the-elder-scrolls-anime-art.jpg
    ...are long gone by the time of ESO. And the only remaining ones are in hiding until met in TESV:Skyrim-Dawnguard. Ther blind mutated descendants the Falmer may show up in some dwemer ruin beneath some skyrim reguin though...

Wild Elves / Ayleids
    gallery_35806_45_396082.png
    ...have more or less been wiped out by the alessian rebellions, and the cyrodillic empire that rose in their wake; some possibly seeking sanctuary among the altmer... There are rumors occasionally, but those "hidden Ayleids" are kinda like the tamriel-tastic equivalent of elvis sightings... someone's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate has seen one somewhere near someplace, they swear it was true... but whenever scholars go there to check, the reported Ayleids are nowhere to be found (or turn out to be a drunk altmer in torchlight dressing up in a costume on a dare).
    And thus... ayleids not really viable as player-race, long gone and only their ruins remain... though perhaps possible as NPC... and rejoice! We meet just one such NPC in the course of the coldharbour assault questline..

Atmorans have become Nords... Youkudans have become Redguards... Nedes have become Imperials... Chimer have become Dunmer... Aldmer have become Altmer...
    ...making all those races part of history, and no longer around in their ancient incarnation.

As for all giants, lamia, ogres, minotaurs, or other races that have non-humanoid or oversized bodies - obviously those are all unsuitable for PC races (Can't have a player race that would clip through half the scenery after all! Or a player that needs a completely new set of animations!)

(So, I think this time I gathered all the thoughts in one place ;-) )

Yes to Maomer and Dwemer because it makes sense. Scrolling further down however made me laugh and facepalm, Gorilla people!?? hahahaha

This isn't Tera.

The imga are a real race in the lore. This isnt tera bc tera didnt have a gorrila race. Elder Scrolls does. Theres a link in the Imga's name, and it takes you to the page.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • gurluasb16_ESO
    gurluasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Omg I would love those fox people, I adore foxes..
    Although Maormer seem like the most realistic one of all of those.
    We even saw Maormer who are able to defect in Summerset.
  • KraziJoe
    KraziJoe
    ✭✭✭
    GIANT!!!!
  • Irylia
    Irylia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yabba yabba!
    Goblin please
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would enjoy all of them.. damn the min maxers imo.

More races would be amazing, and would likely be received very well by the playerbase, but there are better options than adding more classes.
    I am on recortd disagreeing with the classes - for the simple reason that they cannot be "refitted" to existing characters, and thus might vex older players, both in an "Why do I now have to make yet another friggin' alt just to enjoy this new classiness" way, and even moreso in an "Why for [-censored-]'s sake was that [-censored-] class not [-censored-] available at launch, it would have made soooo much mose [-censored-] sense for that backstory of this main/alt of mine..."

Yeah, I agree. Adding the Psijic skill line with Summerset was a step in the right direction in regards to adding new skills. I'd love for more de-classifying with better build customization and options. Hopefully the datamined spell crafting stuff contributes to this. Overall, I'd greatly prefer a system where there are no classes and you could just pick different skill lines or skills that you wanted.
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    Theres always some negative dude. I like reading your ideas op keep it up!!
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @TheShadowScout I like ur thread its very insightful and ZoS could do some of them quite easily...but regarding beast races which is kind of the only thing that interests me in games ( yeah the only good elf is a dead elf!) I think ESO could explore more of its current ones before adding new ones...I mean seriously...we play as Khajiit but in truth we play as Cathay and lets face it khajiit breeds are quite numerous which gives the race a lot of mixing and possibilities...not entirely sure for argonians since I keep them close ( as belts and boots) but im pretty sure they have some deep stuff...also adding new races needs solid background and something we don't really get...lets face it we get 1 chapter that takes a few hours to complete every year and 4-5 DLC packs which aren't that big...my guess is that adding a new race with a new zone and possibly a new class or at least more than 1 skill line...that would be the work for an Expansion which is something I rather have instead of small bits given over time id love to have a solid yearly release instead...I would also be very grateful if Zo$ would take a break from PvE development and focus on Pvp instead for at least 1 year and deliver us the fixed version of ESO Pvp...but then again the marketing department spins the whips on our lovely devs and since pvp doesn't bring money its 90% ignored...I guess one can hope...for good times...
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of more races, but Tom Howard made it clear the he thinks 10 races are more than enough. I disagree personally disagree. I think 10 is sufficient but there is room for more. Chances of it happening....next to never
  • Chronocidal
    Chronocidal
    ✭✭✭
    +1 for Tang Mo
    +1 for Tsaesci

Tang Mo would be stupidly easy to implement using existing playable race models and animations with the smallest of tweaks

Tsaesci theyd have to borrow from the Lamia NPC/monster files but still nowhere near impossible (a mounted riding model might be a challenge lol)