Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Lockpicking help

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was able to kick up my legerdemain 1 point, unlocking the option to make forcing locks easier.
    The reason I suggested to wait and buy all four levels of Locksmith passive at once is because you will waste a lot of lockpicks trying to force them with low skill. However, once you have all four purchased, you will wonder why you ever wasted your time fiddling with locks instead of just breaking them open.

Edited by Jaraal on June 25, 2018 2:51PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Madhattr64 @danno8 except that I am PS4, so that's not an answer for me, but definitely for PC players.

@Asardes, @NoTimeToWait, @Violynne , @runagate, @ihazzit, @dtsharples, @Tandor, @Jaraal , @Davor , @BozzyTheDrummer, @Pheefs, @firedrgn , @Nestor

This weekend was spent practicing my lockpick skills, using the tips you guys gave. I also stole, fenced, and laundered as much as I could during several quests and 'walkabouts' (where I just walk around a given map and find/figure out/fight whatever I come across within my level-no fast travel, no mount). I was able to kick up my legerdemain 1 point, unlocking the option to make forcing locks easier.

However, also using all your tips and analyzing my technique vs yours, I found my lockpicking MUCH easier and felt enboldened to try both intermediate and advanced locks instead of just simple, successfully picking them, only losing an average of 3 lockpicks each time whereas before I was losing 10 on simple locks. Apparently I was also moving the R3 button at the same time I was depressing R2, as well as mistiming the depress/release and those were the issues. Its the little things that make the difference. :) I am sure it will be incrementally easier with each new lock picked.

So YEAH! and this is why participating in a forum is awesome, thank you all!

Good job! This too, is why I love these forums, everyone is very helpful. I was terrible at lockpicking at first, almost as bad as I am at lockpicking in Skyrim (those lockpicks are terrible) but after much trial and error, I complete the locks quite quickly. Master lock, when I find them, always complete them at the last possible second. It's almost like a mini-mini game to me in a way. I have come to enjoy the lockpicking system in this game.
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

Valthyr Alynwen High Elf MagSorc EP
    Valeon Indoril Dark Elf MagDK EP
    Willard Lorrthane Breton MagDen EP
    Faelian Elilanar High Elf MagPlar EP
    Dro'Kassa Khajiit MagCro EP
    Im-Tanky-Enough Argonian Tank EP
    Lorgdan Bladesmith Orc StamBlade DC
    Cyrus Hayle Redguard StamSorc EP
    Xuxtheem-Light-Bearer Argonian Healer AD
    Galen Morthain Dark Elf MagBlade EP
    Burgesh the Mighty Orc StamDen DC
    Mekar the Vile Orc StamCro DC

"Fimmion hungry. Want sweetroll. Fimmion like pants. Love sweetroll."
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if this is correct,but I have noticed that simple chests are actually more difficult to pick than master chests,however they have longer timer.The master chests seem to have very simple lock patterns,but a very short timer.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone have any tips for a noob on picking locks? I just can't get it, I had no problem with Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim's locks.. but I just cant find the trick for ESO's... I keep breaking lockpicks. A simple lock cost me 10 lockpicks last night! I'm level 25 and trying to push my Legerdemain up (its 4 now), but there is some sort of trick I'm missing.... Help!

I just auto picked all my chests I came accross using my Nb
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    Bonzodog01 wrote: »
    I wouldn't use Vulkhel guard - go to Daggerfall town, to the two ships in dock that are completely unguarded, and loot them to fill your inventory.

Everything on those ships is stealable, totally unguarded, and fill your inventory from them. When you run out of selling for that day, launder everything, and then sell it to a merchant. The daggerfall outlaws refuge is literally next to the ships as well!

I'll have to give the Daggerfall ships a try on a few of my lower level characters and compare to Wrothgar. I've been finding taking them through Wrothgar is pretty lucrative, assuming they haven't started any of the quests yet. I also find having them stealing and deconstructing armor and weapons is a good source of lower level mats. I launder up to the daily limit but deconstruct everything for the mats.

Edit: I steal from the shops but it's easier if you have an accomplice to keep the shopkeeps occupied.
    Edited by Ardaghion on June 25, 2018 5:52PM
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My technique is very simple

First make sure you have vibrations on your controllers

Second watch the pin position and the lock pick shake

Now press slowly until the the lock shakes and the vibration changes let go if it doesn't lock in repeat but this time do it faster to the position it was in before but drop every so slightly lower n release that means pin lower not distance

Once you do a few and you get a feel for the vibration changes you can almost do it blind folded
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    ihazzit wrote: »
    There are only 3 positions on every lock, (roughly) a 3rd of the way down, 2/3 of the way down, and all the way down. It's going to be only of those 3 positions each and every time. When you get a simple lock to pick you can easily practice that 1, 2, 3 position. Go 1/3 then release if it doesn't stick then go 2/3 and release, if it doesn't stick then of course go all the way down and it will stick. Intermediate locks are about as easy. Once you do that a few times you will see how the positions are always 1 of those 3 in the same spot. You can do that simple 1, 2, 3 method on Advanced locks once you get that timing down and can move to the next pick attempt smoothly.

Master locks are another matter and usually you don't have enough time to do the 1, 2, 3 method, you can try, but you simply have to get used to looking for that tumbler to quickly jiggle in one of those first two positions and release, otherwise of course you let it go to the bottom. After some time you won't have to use a method and will get used to looking for the lock to jiggle at those positions and will be easily and efficiently open any lock.

This was by far the best tip I received from someone here in forums when I started playing 2 years ago. When you know that there are only 3 spots, and that they're always THE SAME three spots, then you can take that, and start to anticipate the jiggle, because watching for the jiggle doesn't help unless you have great, and I mean great, reflexes. When I was younger, I played violin/fiddle so my manual dexterity isn't bad, and I can't do this watching for the jiggle..I've also heard to listen for the jiggle instead of watch for it, but that tip never helped me either.

The only other thing that I'd suggest, simply because it works better for me, is a 2-pass method instead of 1,2,3 position method. I think someone else mentioned something similar upstream in the thread. Press down til you see which of the 3 spots it jiggles at, then quickly release & press down again right to that spot & release, knowing it's the right spot and will catch. Sometimes, if you release quickly enough, you might actually catch on the 1st pass, but if not, no matter, you know where it belongs now...I actually think this is the easiest of the TES lockpick games.

Another tip is that not only does the timer shorten for the harder locks, but the pistons move down a bit quicker as well. That helps to offset the shorter timer, because you get to the three positions more quickly...

One more tip, when the lockpick breaks, don't try to rush to press down again, it's not going to go til it's ready, animation-wise, and in fact, if you try to rush it, it might actually delay things....how long to wait, will be a matter of practice, because like all of us, you'll break plenty of lockpicks as you go.

One final tip (honest), and that's to relax and focus before you start the mini-game if you can..I find that helps as well...

• fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Best advice on lockpicking I ever got was this:

Look at the springs, not the pins.

The springs will wiggle long before the pins do. As soon as you see the spring wiggle, release the mouse. Pin will be set.

That's one I hadn't heard before...i'll hafta give that a try...

• Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bah! Ignore all that. Use the force. Let go when you feel the time is right.

(Yes, I seriously do this...it sort of looks like I'm watching the screen for the wiggle, but that's all for show so other players don't feel inferior.)

Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about breaking picks, most people throw them away by the stacks. If you ask I am sure most people would be happy to donate to you. I know this doesn't help with the actual act of picking the lock but I have never known anyone to "need" picks after they have a little play time in. Just run a delve or two that has a lot of containers and the things will be coming out your ears.
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    I am sure it will be incrementally easier with each new lock picked.
    Not really. See, once you unlock all 4 levels of the Lockpicking skill, you'll never tumble again. It's so much faster to force a lock than to run through the tumblers.
    :wink:

PS: one point of note to make since it sounds like you're on a new character: when you get your exp scroll, spend the time pilfering safeboxes!!!

Ok, good to know I am already doing what I should on lockpicking re leveling up the force lock skill...... Now, WHAT is a safebox? You talking about the thieves guild stashes I find everywhere? I'm looting those everywhere I find them.

no, actually, you're referencing "Thieves Troves" that can be opened without a lockpick, but they'll always be a stolen container, so be careful if anybody is around. The Safeboxes are more like NCP-owned chests that do have to be lockpicked. They're not always tied to a vendor, but they frequently are. They're generally all-metallic, and look slightly different from other chest. Also, they'll usually be in a populated area, and higher level locks as well...

and one more thing...if you want to practice master chests, there's a guaranteed level chest. It's in the main master bedroom of the Daggerfall Castle. When you enter the bedroom, it'll be on the left side just past a large wardrobe. It's not a guaranteed spawn, but when it does spawn, it's a guaranteed master...you just need to be careful of the cleaning NPC who keeps coming in & out of the bedroom...

• Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So glad all the tips worked for you. I got my help here as well and was ready to quit over it. I agree this forum is great when we need help.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bonzodog01 wrote: »
    I wouldn't use Vulkhel guard - go to Daggerfall town, to the two ships in dock that are completely unguarded, and loot them to fill your inventory.

Everything on those ships is stealable, totally unguarded, and fill your inventory from them. When you run out of selling for that day, launder everything, and then sell it to a merchant. The daggerfall outlaws refuge is literally next to the ships as well!

along similar lines, Vulkhel Guard is good in the Guard's warehouse for some provisioning mats, but the green treasures are more hit or miss, although I got a blue there at least once. Similar to Daggerfall, there are a couple ships in dock at Davon's Watch, and the refuge entrance is on the docks as well, up a level or two. Now, I can't remember which, but in either Daggerfall or Davon's Watch, one of the two ships in dock has a treasure chest spawn down below. I think it's Davon's Watch, but I forget. Just another thing for the thieves in training...

• DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    OMG guys, seriously, I'm whacking out Master level locks now! Woot!
    Ra'avi Ahjonihr Khajit Stamblade, Level 1500Master ThiefCrafter and ExplorerHero of the Dominion, Pact, and CovenantMember of the DragonguardFriend to Razum-darFavored of Azura
    'It does not matter to M'aiq how strong or smart one is. It only matters what one can do.' -M'aiq the Liar
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. I only got one of those. Man that was stressful. I still need to get better. Thing is I am not seeing the much lately.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »

Congrats. I only got one of those. Man that was stressful. I still need to get better. Thing is I am not seeing the much lately.

I was surprised too! I didnt think they would even have shown up for me until I was at least 40. Before I would have sighed and passed on, but now I'm determined to crack every chest I run across regardless of difficulty. And I did lose some lockpicks, but hey, I kept at it til I got it. And it was less stressful using the info and keeping an eye on wiggle and feeling for vibration in my controller... major help that- (I had forgotten I had turned off the vibration on my controller to save battery life.) The chest was actually located in a 'higher than I could do' location; having the skull and crossbones marker on the compass uptop. I was just sneaking around it, and found it in an obscure corner.

I have actually found an intermediate chest on the side of a sheer cliff I was sliding down, landing on the one outcropping, and there it was in the crack. Lots of loot in it too. At least for me. Love this game!
    Ra'avi Ahjonihr Khajit Stamblade, Level 1500Master ThiefCrafter and ExplorerHero of the Dominion, Pact, and CovenantMember of the DragonguardFriend to Razum-darFavored of Azura
    'It does not matter to M'aiq how strong or smart one is. It only matters what one can do.' -M'aiq the Liar