Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

Lockpicking help

DawnsLight65
DawnsLight65
✭✭✭
Anyone have any tips for a noob on picking locks? I just can't get it, I had no problem with Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim's locks.. but I just cant find the trick for ESO's... I keep breaking lockpicks. A simple lock cost me 10 lockpicks last night! I'm level 25 and trying to push my Legerdemain up (its 4 now), but there is some sort of trick I'm missing.... Help!
Edited by DawnsLight65 on June 22, 2018 11:48AM
Ra'avi Ahjonihr Khajit Stamblade, Level 1500Master ThiefCrafter and ExplorerHero of the Dominion, Pact, and CovenantMember of the DragonguardFriend to Razum-darFavored of Azura
'It does not matter to M'aiq how strong or smart one is. It only matters what one can do.' -M'aiq the Liar
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The lockpicking mini-game is basically identical to the one in Oblivion. Just pick a tumbler, press LMB until you see the tumbler wiggle a bit and stop and then it will be locked in place. The more difficult the lock, the less wiggle time you get before the pick breaks.

Lockpicking is by far the slowest way to level Ledgermain. For low levels I recommend stealing items from containers and selling them to fences at the local Outlaws Refuge. One of the easiest places to do this is the port in Daggerfal, since the two ships moored there are almost unguarded - there's only one patrolling NPC on the bridge of one of them but you can freely steal from the cabins and the hold; the outlaws refuge entrance is just on the quay. When you reach higher levels with that skill you can allot points into Light Fingers passive and start pickpocketting from NPCs. Pickpocketting gives you much more reputation than lockpicking, and the loot is also better, mostly blue and green fenceable treasures, as well as blueprints and motif pages if done in Vvardenfell (Morrowind DLC).
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all, if you really struggle with lockpicking, you might consider getting skill to force locks (or better to say a skill which improves you chances of forcing locks). It is acquired by leveling up Legerdemain skill line, you can do it other way than lockpicking (fencing stolen goods for example).

It will enable you to evade the lockpicking game and open lock with some chance of failure just by clicking a hotkey

Edited by NoTimeToWait on June 22, 2018 11:38AM
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    I steal and fence as much as my inventory allows. :) . I actually love the Outlaw's Refuges because I can sell and bank everything in one spot. Which is how I got to 4 in the first place. I don't gravitate toward pickpocketing.. I never have in any game I play.. but I might put a few skill points in that passive, which I have been ignoring, if it allows me to level up Legerdemain faster, with better loot.
    Ra'avi Ahjonihr Khajit Stamblade, Level 1500Master ThiefCrafter and ExplorerHero of the Dominion, Pact, and CovenantMember of the DragonguardFriend to Razum-darFavored of Azura
    'It does not matter to M'aiq how strong or smart one is. It only matters what one can do.' -M'aiq the Liar
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    @Asardes, its the timing of the wiggle that gets me... I'll let go where I see its wiggling, but it wont lock. With how unsuccessful I have been so far, I don't even attempt anything over a simple lock cause its a waste of lockpicks. But I will keep struggling and trying what you say. I'm sure the higher the Legerdemain, the easier it gets, right? Or is that wrong thinking too?
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Lockpicking is by far the slowest way to level Ledgermain.
    By itself, yes, but often times, two birds approach when cracking safeboxes, which requires lockpicking to steal the items.

Not to dismiss your advice: I was about to say the same. Stealing from containers and fencing is a much faster way to level up the skill.

But I disagree with the location. The best location is Vulkhel Guard in Auridon.
    Starting from the stable next to the wayshrine, there's a backpack. Loot it (but sneak, as there is a guard nearby). At Legedermain < 10, take the 40 gold white items. At 10+ only steal green+.

Going to the left, head to the watch tower. Inside are two containers and a backpack. Watch the single guard in the room.

Head out, then toward the other side of town to the crafting area. Hit up every shop, as each has at least one container to loot (the pack shop doesn't have a container to loot, but does have a simple safebox behind crates which is easy for low level).

Head to the Fighter's Guild. Walk in and there two containers immediately accessible. Head upstairs for 4 more.

Jump/walk out and head to the center of town to the manor (where the bank is). Enter the door on the left. There are 4 chests to loot.

Head to the bank. There are a ton of containers to loot. Don't forget to check the sacks, as many times, they also hold loot.

Once done, head out and directly behind the chapel that's right across from the manor. The refuge awaits.

Fence the items. Upon exit, repeat.

Unlock Trafficking FIRST as this opens the amount you can fence. Don't waste your skill points on Locksmith until you can do all 4 ranks. Trust me, the game's "math" at percentages to crack a lock is horrendous. You must have all 4 ranks to be as best you can. Plus, this will give you time to amass hundreds of lockpicks (steal every one you see - cracking locks takes a lockpick and you will go through them quickly).

This advice comes free from one Master Thief to another who will work to become one themselves.

Stay in the shadows, my friend, and profit well.

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Asardes, its the timing of the wiggle that gets me... I'll let go where I see its wiggling, but it wont lock. With how unsuccessful I have been so far, I don't even attempt anything over a simple lock cause its a waste of lockpicks. But I will keep struggling and trying what you say. I'm sure the higher the Legerdemain, the easier it gets, right? Or is that wrong thinking too?

No, increasing Ledgermain doesn't actually make manual lockpicking easier, like it did in the other games, the only thing it does is unlock the Locksmith passive that allows you to force them with a higher degree of success. That works for readily opening simple and intermediat locks, but advanced and master still need to be picked manually to get a reasonable outcome. I barely use up any lockpicks, sometimes I break one trying to open the latter. I don't find the mini-game particularly difficult. The reaction time for the tumblers is reasonable. Maybe you lift the finger off the button too fast and that's why it fails. There's also an audible queue for that. You should practice more.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Tito86
    Tito86
    ✭✭✭
    It is really simple. The most important is listening. When You hear it starts crunching, just release the button as fast as You can and move to the next tumbler. I have hundrets of lockpicks, so if You need any, and You play on PC EU, please contact me in game @Tito86.
    I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, though I enjoy lockpicking, it's even easier than people describe.

Even with Master locks all you need to do is depress each tumbler til it fails, remember where that was, do it again and release where you saw it get to the first time. Even with quick Master locks there's plenty of time to do each tumbler twice that way.
  • ihazzit
    ihazzit
    ✭✭✭
    There are only 3 positions on every lock, (roughly) a 3rd of the way down, 2/3 of the way down, and all the way down. It's going to be only of those 3 positions each and every time. When you get a simple lock to pick you can easily practice that 1, 2, 3 position. Go 1/3 then release if it doesn't stick then go 2/3 and release, if it doesn't stick then of course go all the way down and it will stick. Intermediate locks are about as easy. Once you do that a few times you will see how the positions are always 1 of those 3 in the same spot. You can do that simple 1, 2, 3 method on Advanced locks once you get that timing down and can move to the next pick attempt smoothly.

Master locks are another matter and usually you don't have enough time to do the 1, 2, 3 method, you can try, but you simply have to get used to looking for that tumbler to quickly jiggle in one of those first two positions and release, otherwise of course you let it go to the bottom. After some time you won't have to use a method and will get used to looking for the lock to jiggle at those positions and will be easily and efficiently open any lock.
    If you are angry about anything in this game you are only punishing yourself.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are on PC you can use this: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info909-FCOLockpicker.html

It makes the easy game of lockpicking even easier.
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure to Turn on your sound.
    It makes it a lot easier when starting out.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    Asardes wrote: »
    Lockpicking is by far the slowest way to level Ledgermain.
    By itself, yes, but often times, two birds approach when cracking safeboxes, which requires lockpicking to steal the items.

Not to dismiss your advice: I was about to say the same. Stealing from containers and fencing is a much faster way to level up the skill.

But I disagree with the location. The best location is Vulkhel Guard in Auridon.
    Starting from the stable next to the wayshrine, there's a backpack. Loot it (but sneak, as there is a guard nearby). At Legedermain < 10, take the 40 gold white items. At 10+ only steal green+.

Going to the left, head to the watch tower. Inside are two containers and a backpack. Watch the single guard in the room.

Head out, then toward the other side of town to the crafting area. Hit up every shop, as each has at least one container to loot (the pack shop doesn't have a container to loot, but does have a simple safebox behind crates which is easy for low level).

Head to the Fighter's Guild. Walk in and there two containers immediately accessible. Head upstairs for 4 more.

Jump/walk out and head to the center of town to the manor (where the bank is). Enter the door on the left. There are 4 chests to loot.

Head to the bank. There are a ton of containers to loot. Don't forget to check the sacks, as many times, they also hold loot.

Once done, head out and directly behind the chapel that's right across from the manor. The refuge awaits.

Fence the items. Upon exit, repeat.

Unlock Trafficking FIRST as this opens the amount you can fence. Don't waste your skill points on Locksmith until you can do all 4 ranks. Trust me, the game's "math" at percentages to crack a lock is horrendous. You must have all 4 ranks to be as best you can. Plus, this will give you time to amass hundreds of lockpicks (steal every one you see - cracking locks takes a lockpick and you will go through them quickly).

This advice comes free from one Master Thief to another who will work to become one themselves.

Stay in the shadows, my friend, and profit well.

If you're doing Vulkhels Guard, don't forget the house next to the stable, for which you'll need to do a short introductory quest from the Captain of the Guards en-route to the beach in order to have permanent access, and also the dungeons below the watch tower.

As for the basic problem of lockpicking, the key is to realise there are only 3 set positions for the tumbler to land on (think top, middle and bottom). You generally have enough time (especially on simple locks) to do a dummy run on each one and see which position it's landing on before you worry about clicking on it. By and large that's the only way I can time it right.

The other issue with lockpicking is latency. If you have a poor connection then it's going to wreak havoc on your timing.
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    @Tito86 Thank you for the offer, but unfortunately I'm ps4 EU. (I still dont understand why they dont let us friend other people on different platforms. Sigh. )

@Asardes, @NoTimeToWait, @Violynne (again :)), @runagate, @ihazzit, @danno8, @dtsharples, @Tandor, thanks for the tips, I will practice as much as I can, even on the higher level locks, and take your advice on tumbler action. I also will definitely take your advice on the prime theft/fence locations, to level up my Legerdemain faster.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just memorize where to let go. Even master locks you can pick all tumbler pins that u need twice.

So watch and listen if u miss, remember the spot and let go next time "early"

If have to start over by hiting e the pins will not pick in the same spot.

You have to stay calm and relax and not stress. You will get to where u can pick master locks no problem at all.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you actually enjoy the lock picking mini game, I suggest you steal and sell / launder everything until your Legerdemain is maxed, and then buy all the Locksmith passives. I've probably opened 100,000 chests, doors, and safe boxes, and it's much faster to force everything, even master locks. And if you need lockpicks, go to the wardrobe room in Traitor's Vault. I've destroyed thousands of lockpicks gotten from there.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the Traitors vault?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best advice on lockpicking I ever got was this:

Look at the springs, not the pins.

The springs will wiggle long before the pins do. As soon as you see the spring wiggle, release the mouse. Pin will be set.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ihazzit wrote: »
    There are only 3 positions on every lock
    THIS!
    1-2-3 or high-med-low, however you look at it...

also, and this really matters for me, DO NOT LOOK AT THE BLUE LINE!!! it wants to distract you!
    you can glance at it when you succeed to see how many seconds you had left, but otherwise ignore it.

Good Luck!
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me, just feel for the wiggle (that sounds weird when you say it out loud) This game, in my opinion, has the easiest lock picking system. I don't even put skills into it, as I very rarely break picks. You really just have to keep doing it and get a feel for it.

Now Skyrim's lock picking, F*** that lmao
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

Valthyr Alynwen High Elf MagSorc EP
    Valeon Indoril Dark Elf MagDK EP
    Willard Lorrthane Breton MagDen EP
    Faelian Elilanar High Elf MagPlar EP
    Dro'Kassa Khajiit MagCro EP
    Im-Tanky-Enough Argonian Tank EP
    Lorgdan Bladesmith Orc StamBlade DC
    Cyrus Hayle Redguard StamSorc EP
    Xuxtheem-Light-Bearer Argonian Healer AD
    Galen Morthain Dark Elf MagBlade EP
    Burgesh the Mighty Orc StamDen DC
    Mekar the Vile Orc StamCro DC

"Fimmion hungry. Want sweetroll. Fimmion like pants. Love sweetroll."
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to ask what platform you are on but since you said you are on the PS4 I hope this works. I asked this question as well. If the PS4 is like the Xbox One, then when you are using the right trigger, (does the PS4 have a trigger?) put your finger on the tip of the trigger, so this way when you want to remove your finger it will be a lot faster doing so. This way you are not holding down the trigger so hard. No matter how light you think you are holding the trigger down, this helps.

Also do you have head phones? I was shocked you can "hear" the mini game. I never played with head phones so never herd this on the TV but now, playing with head phones also makes it easier because you can hear the rattling.

Last as I was told is just practice. So keep this in mind and don't get discouraged. Just take your time, if you fail, you fail. I failed more times than you and I finally got the hang of it. It's hard. It does come to you in time, just don't get frustrated.

Remember if you can, finger on the tip of the trigger.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    For me, just feel for the wiggle (that sounds weird when you say it out loud) This game, in my opinion, has the easiest lock picking system. I don't even put skills into it, as I very rarely break picks. You really just have to keep doing it and get a feel for it.

Now Skyrim's lock picking, F*** that lmao

I rocked the Skyrim lockpicking. Which is maybe why I am having such a hard time with this one.
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    I was going to ask what platform you are on but since you said you are on the PS4 I hope this works. I asked this question as well. If the PS4 is like the Xbox One, then when you are using the right trigger, (does the PS4 have a trigger?) put your finger on the tip of the trigger, so this way when you want to remove your finger it will be a lot faster doing so. This way you are not holding down the trigger so hard. No matter how light you think you are holding the trigger down, this helps.

Also do you have head phones? I was shocked you can "hear" the mini game. I never played with head phones so never herd this on the TV but now, playing with head phones also makes it easier because you can hear the rattling.

Last as I was told is just practice. So keep this in mind and don't get discouraged. Just take your time, if you fail, you fail. I failed more times than you and I finally got the hang of it. It's hard. It does come to you in time, just don't get frustrated.

Remember if you can, finger on the tip of the trigger.

Yes, PS4s have triggers, two each side actually. (R1 & 2, and L1 & 2-tho technically the 1s could be considered buttons-the 2s are the ones that work the lockpicking mech) I also don't usually play with headphones because I hate wearing them, but will try it. I had turned down the volume on the background noise (since last update the background music has been insanely loud), but I will see if headphones help the lockpicking dynamic for me. So its an actual rattling sound it makes? Never realized they made noise.
    Edited by DawnsLight65 on June 22, 2018 6:10PM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is the Traitors vault?

It is a delve on Artaeum. Normally, you have to do a quest to unlock Artaeum, but if you're in a guild or have a friend in the delve, you can port directly to the wayshrine inside the delve, and then discover Artaeum once you zone out.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Madhattr64
    Madhattr64
    ✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    If you are on PC you can use this: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info909-FCOLockpicker.html

It makes the easy game of lockpicking even easier.

This is the answer.
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    @Madhattr64 @danno8 except that I am PS4, so that's not an answer for me, but definitely for PC players.

@Asardes, @NoTimeToWait, @Violynne , @runagate, @ihazzit, @dtsharples, @Tandor, @Jaraal , @Davor , @BozzyTheDrummer, @Pheefs, @firedrgn , @Nestor

This weekend was spent practicing my lockpick skills, using the tips you guys gave. I also stole, fenced, and laundered as much as I could during several quests and 'walkabouts' (where I just walk around a given map and find/figure out/fight whatever I come across within my level-no fast travel, no mount). I was able to kick up my legerdemain 1 point, unlocking the option to make forcing locks easier.

However, also using all your tips and analyzing my technique vs yours, I found my lockpicking MUCH easier and felt enboldened to try both intermediate and advanced locks instead of just simple, successfully picking them, only losing an average of 3 lockpicks each time whereas before I was losing 10 on simple locks. Apparently I was also moving the R3 button at the same time I was depressing R2, as well as mistiming the depress/release and those were the issues. Its the little things that make the difference. :) I am sure it will be incrementally easier with each new lock picked.

So YEAH! and this is why participating in a forum is awesome, thank you all!
    Edited by DawnsLight65 on June 25, 2018 11:37AM
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sure it will be incrementally easier with each new lock picked.
    Not really. See, once you unlock all 4 levels of the Lockpicking skill, you'll never tumble again. It's so much faster to force a lock than to run through the tumblers.
    :wink:

When I started a new character a bit ago, I forgot all about the tumblers. I've been forcing locks for my other 3 characters that I completely press "X" automatically. Imagine my surprise when my brand new character couldn't snap the lock.

LOL. Ah, the memories.

Glad to see you're getting better. Soon, you will be a master thief.
    >:)

PS: one point of note to make since it sounds like you're on a new character: when you get your exp scroll, spend the time pilfering safeboxes!!!

Trust me, as Legerdemain gets closer to 20, the slower it is to increase the rank. Also, the Thieves Guild is an excellent companion to thievery, so if you haven't done so, you may want to think about it.

Good luck!

• DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    I am sure it will be incrementally easier with each new lock picked.
    Not really. See, once you unlock all 4 levels of the Lockpicking skill, you'll never tumble again. It's so much faster to force a lock than to run through the tumblers.
    :wink:

PS: one point of note to make since it sounds like you're on a new character: when you get your exp scroll, spend the time pilfering safeboxes!!!

Ok, good to know I am already doing what I should on lockpicking re leveling up the force lock skill...... Now, WHAT is a safebox? You talking about the thieves guild stashes I find everywhere? I'm looting those everywhere I find them.
  • Bonzodog01
    Bonzodog01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't use Vulkhel guard - go to Daggerfall town, to the two ships in dock that are completely unguarded, and loot them to fill your inventory.

Everything on those ships is stealable, totally unguarded, and fill your inventory from them. When you run out of selling for that day, launder everything, and then sell it to a merchant. The daggerfall outlaws refuge is literally next to the ships as well!

Xbox One - EU - EP/DC
    Trying and failing to hold the walls of his Templar house up since 2015
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Madhattr64 @danno8 except that I am PS4, so that's not an answer for me, but definitely for PC players.

@Asardes, @NoTimeToWait, @Violynne , @runagate, @ihazzit, @dtsharples, @Tandor, @Jaraal , @Davor , @BozzyTheDrummer, @Pheefs, @firedrgn , @Nestor

This weekend was spent practicing my lockpick skills, using the tips you guys gave. I also stole, fenced, and laundered as much as I could during several quests and 'walkabouts' (where I just walk around a given map and find/figure out/fight whatever I come across within my level-no fast travel, no mount). I was able to kick up my legerdemain 1 point, unlocking the option to make forcing locks easier.

However, also using all your tips and analyzing my technique vs yours, I found my lockpicking MUCH easier and felt enboldened to try both intermediate and advanced locks instead of just simple, successfully picking them, only losing an average of 3 lockpicks each time whereas before I was losing 10 on simple locks. Apparently I was also moving the R3 button at the same time I was depressing R2, as well as mistiming the depress/release and those were the issues. Its the little things that make the difference. :) I am sure it will be incrementally easier with each new lock picked.

So YEAH! and this is why participating in a forum is awesome, thank you all!

and now it's time to reveal you that final but *HUGE* touch to perfect your skills: hook your PS4 up to a latest generation low latency TV in "gaming" mode (read: fast response) and watch the magic happen...

also if you would ever get a chance try this on a PC with a fast gaming mouse and a 144hz TN monitor you will laugh yourself to death. It so easy there the difference is night and day. You literally get much more time to respond before it breaks. I rarely miss a master chest on the first try.
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭

and now it's time to reveal you that final but *HUGE* touch to perfect your skills: hook your PS4 up to a latest generation low latency TV in "gaming" mode (read: fast response) and watch the magic happen...

I have it hooked up to a newly purchased 4k TV, I'll look at settings on it tonight to see if its an option. :)
    Edited by DawnsLight65 on June 25, 2018 12:25PM