The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Outfit Slots are a scam. I want my Crowns back

• SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The slots are rubbish anyway ... They only change outfits ...

They should at that price be selling us gear slots

Where we can can slot one for another's and in one selection my character changes all gear, all skilled and for a modest gold fee my CP

This means a transition from farming, to dungeon runs to trials to PvP takes a second rather than ten minutes ... Which means more game time ... More game time means more fun more fun means happier world
  • Yusuf
    Yusuf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »

Where we can can slot one for another's and in one selection my character changes all gear, all skilled and for a modest gold fee my CP

This means a transition from farming, to dungeon runs to trials to PvP takes a second rather than ten minutes ... Which means more game time ... More game time means more fun more fun means happier world

Or you could use one of the numerous add-ons that manages gear&skills xD
  • Heka Cain
    Heka Cain
    ✭✭✭
    I want my money back too!!!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yusuf wrote: »

Gotta be a PC player to do that.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Could I ... Think not ... I'm not a PC that plays the players I'm players who plays on console
  • Soul_Marrow
    Soul_Marrow
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to break it to you, but outfit slots are a scam whether they are account-wide or not. This is a system that they created solely with the intention of selling outfit slots. Do you really think this truly requires any substantial server cost for them to allow players to have a few free spots as part of ESO plus or simply just because? They will keep doing it as long as we allow it....so there is no end in sight because people don't seem to get it.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to break it to you, but outfit slots are a scam whether they are account-wide or not. This is a system that they created solely with the intention of selling outfit slots. Do you really think this truly requires any substantial server cost for them to allow players to have a few free spots as part of ESO plus or simply just because? They will keep doing it as long as we allow it....so there is no end in sight because people don't seem to get it.

This is somewhat true, but if they had designed and priced the system properly, they could have been value on both ends of the transaction, instead of just the ZOS end.

You are right in that they don't get it.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude, we're paying for everything. If ZOS could justify charging us to use potions or pay per attack they probably would. But, in this instance folk are complaining about the method of charging, I think everybody can accept its cosmetic so we can afford a certain leeway to ZOS to charge for it. HOWEVER, to be so greedy to charge for them when they aren't even account wide is utterly shameful.

I've bought one and thankfully only play with dedication one character. If I played more than one I'd be spewing.

ZOS need to connect with their community on a much deeper level. Sometimes doing something just because you can doesn't mean you should. Goodwill takes a long time to build and it doesn't feel like they've made any attempt to begin building any whatsoever. This is just a cashcow they're happy to milk until the cow *** keels over and dies.
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want to have two outfits for each of my characters
    1. Character theme outfit
    2. Dragon Slayer

problem being have 6 characters which amounts to 6,000 crowns to buy an extra slot for each

That is some BS - should be account wide

ZOS stop trying to hook whales - we are happy to buy things if you didn't make them so darn expensive
    Edited by Iccotak on September 26, 2019 8:22PM
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok I bought an additional outfit slot yesterday since they were on sale for 750 Crowns and I thought "Hey that might be a cool thing to have" only to find out they aren't account-wide.
    Now, I see that this issue isn't really being discussed. Players are quietly accepting that fact and politely asking for ZOS make them account-wide in update X or Y.

Here's the thing: I didn't buy a consumable, I bought an upgrade and it shouldn't even be a discussion that that's account-wide!

For God's sake it's misleadingly advertised. Nowhere in the store does it say that this is only usable on one character while every other product there is account-wide, making us believe that would be the case for the outfit-slots as well.

Inb4 "they're a company, they gotta make money"-comments: We're customers, not ZOS' goddang accountants. And if a product is the only one in their store that's not gonna benefit all our characters they should advertise it as such in their store and not hidden in the FAQs.

There is a very, very long thread about it.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep, no point in necroing another one. I wonder how Iccotak stumbled upon this thread when the other one is constantly on first page.

Here it is:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/394951/1500-crowns-per-outfit-slot-1-slot-just-under-1200-for-every-slot/p39
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still one of the biggest scams in the crown store imo. There have been times when I kinda wanted another slot but the whole concept is just greedy af.
  • JusticeSouldier
    JusticeSouldier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Michae wrote: »
    Yep, no point in necroing another one. I wonder how Iccotak stumbled upon this thread when the other one is constantly on first page.

Here it is:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/394951/1500-crowns-per-outfit-slot-1-slot-just-under-1200-for-every-slot/p39

this thread better describes a problem. In that one there are too many complainings about price.
    But, problem is in no information in description, that it's only for one character.
    We buy this and only after discover that it's not account-wide.

They still didn't reacted any time to that 38+ pages of thread

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom Why u still didn't apologize for this scam and don't fix item's description to fit it's real properties???
    all classes. pc platform, dissapointed.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The silly thing is that they could have one of their UI people throw "Character bound" in the upper right corner of the description box and be done with it.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • JusticeSouldier
    JusticeSouldier
    ✭✭✭✭
    The silly thing is that they could have one of their UI people throw "Character bound" in the upper right corner of the description box and be done with it.

Yeah thats what i'm talking about, but they don't do that.
    After 1,5 years of that thread exists, I can say, they don't add it purposely.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Stop scam!

• Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah thats what i'm talking about, but they don't do that.
    After 1,5 years of that thread exists, I can say, they don't add it purposely.

Yup.

I'm sure a small number of people who buy the item assuming it is account wide (because the description doesn't say anywhere it's per character!) contact support to get a refund. They might even do so successfully.

This outweighs the profit they can snag from the majority who will buy the item assuming the same thing and just shrug their shoulders at it without asking for a refund.

This game could have had an ethical microtransaction model. The decision to have a cash shop full of predatory microtransactions - and even design the game itself around facilitating this - was very, very deliberate.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's alright guys.

At least outfit slots are just ambiguously worded.

In another game I play the devs just released a cosmetic pack for one of the space ships... Only thing is if you use any of the items from said pack, and try to jump to a new system... It soft-locks your game and the only way out is task kill LOL.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    This game could have had an ethical microtransaction model. The decision to have a cash shop full of predatory microtransactions - and even design the game itself around facilitating this - was very, very deliberate.

15 bucks to unlock a slot if it were account wide is ridiculous. 15 bucks per character is simple, pure greed.

Same with 30 bucks to unlock a skill line (mages guild, undaunted, etc). 30 bucks would be ridiculous if it were account wide, but its not..its per character.

I find it increasingly hard to play this game due to the blatant greed these people possess.

• Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »

15 bucks to unlock a slot if it were account wide is ridiculous. 15 bucks per character is simple, pure greed.

Same with 30 bucks to unlock a skill line (mages guild, undaunted, etc). 30 bucks would be ridiculous if it were account wide, but its not..its per character.

I find it increasingly hard to play this game due to the blatant greed these people possess.

I do too. This game has long been my sole exception to boycotting predatory video game publishers. They have some really talented writers, artists, and developers working on this game. They do good work and I want to support that. But as this game becomes more and more heavily monetized - and I start becoming more educated about how the very design of this game has been compromised to funnel people into a racket - I have a harder time looking the other way. Especially when there are plenty of other publishers out there who aren't going this route.

Something I found interesting about this entire ordeal is that the transformation we've seen within Zenimax and its subsidiaries (like Bethesda) into predatory monetization models may be the result of some unfortunate corporate/investor politics. I can't speak to the credibility of these sources - and frankly I find the credibility of SmuckToob to be about as poor as it gets - but their arguments track:

"I figured out WHY Bethesda got so Greedy"
    https://youtu.be/qJt_i2_vsSw

"The Real Reason Bethesda Changed Their Games"
    https://youtu.be/fd9jvQG9MIM

The long and the short of it is that the Zenimax/Bethesda we once knew is gone. They have gone all-in with predatory microtransactions and anti-consumer monetization models. It breaks my heart even more for their single player games than it does for this one. I can't even look forward to Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI anymore.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I do too. This game has long been my sole exception to boycotting predatory video game publishers.

Same here. I don't play any games from the AAA publishers who use predatory practices to make money instead of making fun games.

They have some really talented writers, artists, and developers working on this game. They do good work and I want to support that.
    Completely agree. I do question who ever is in charge of houses that allows the interior to not reflect the exterior (Domus Phrasticus is a good example), but overall their art/writing are top notch!

But as this game becomes more and more heavily monetized - and I start becoming more educated about how the very design of this game has been compromised to funnel people into a racket - I have a harder time looking the other way. Especially when there are plenty of other publishers out there who aren't going this route.

Agreed. Once you observe how the games design is centered around funneling you to the crown store/loot crates, it becomes hard to enjoy the game, because you see it for what it is. Profit first, fun second...and in some cases fun does not even come into play but just long time grinds that would otherwise not exist if the crown store did not exist.
    Something I found interesting about this entire ordeal is that the transformation we've seen within Zenimax and its subsidiaries (like Bethesda) into predatory monetization models may be the result of some unfortunate corporate/investor politics. I can't speak to the credibility of these sources - and frankly I find the credibility of SmuckToob to be about as poor as it gets - but their arguments track:

I watched the same thing around the time the video came out. Some pretty good detective work going on there imo. There is no doubt it seems like they are ramping up their income for something other than making games fun.
    The long and the short of it is that the Zenimax/Bethesda we once knew is gone. They have gone all-in with predatory microtransactions and anti-consumer monetization models. It breaks my heart even more for their single player games than it does for this one. I can't even look forward to Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI anymore.

Sadly, upon observation your assessment seems true. I love many aspects of the game, but I also get frustrated because I know it could be so much better if ZOS wanted to invest into it. As it stands, it seems like they are developing it as cheaply as they can and trying to extract as much money as possible. I would guess this game either has an extremely high profit margin, or that it does not make a lot of cash...but seeing as how they do not lower prices to entice customer sales I am going with the high profit margin theory.

• hifromneptune
    hifromneptune
    Soul Shriven
    Hey :)

Just adding my bit. I had crowns from purchasing three months of ESO Plus and spent some on an outfit slot upgrade I assumed, from the price, would be account-wide. Obviously it isn't, which I didn't realise until I signed in on a second character, and now I have 1/10th of what I thought I was paying for. Most importantly, it shows that the Crown Store can't be trusted to give their customers directly relevant information about what they're buying.

They need to make clear what they're selling. The description in place now is negligent at best, misleading at worst.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I never ever thought they were account wide since that does not seem to be the case with items not placed into collections and there was no indication they were account wide. If you mistakenly thought they were account wide open up a ticket and ask for a refund. I would suggest being cordial as empty abrasive comments like they are a scam will not be helpful.
  • JusticeSouldier
    JusticeSouldier
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Personally I never ever thought they were account wide since that does not seem to be the case with items not placed into collections and there was no indication they were account wide. If you mistakenly thought they were account wide open up a ticket and ask for a refund. I would suggest being cordial as empty abrasive comments like they are a scam will not be helpful.

yes, you don't know. personally.
    Edited by JusticeSouldier on October 4, 2019 11:31PM
  • JusticeSouldier
    JusticeSouldier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey :)

Just adding my bit. I had crowns from purchasing three months of ESO Plus and spent some on an outfit slot upgrade I assumed, from the price, would be account-wide. Obviously it isn't, which I didn't realise until I signed in on a second character, and now I have 1/10th of what I thought I was paying for. Most importantly, it shows that the Crown Store can't be trusted to give their customers directly relevant information about what they're buying.

They need to make clear what they're selling. The description in place now is negligent at best, misleading at worst.

Same, year ago.
    Was very frustrated, because such things by the logic, same as for example new mount, or costumes, or pets, means to be account-wide.
    But, they don't and anywhere there is no any information that it's only for one character.

It's clear scam.

@ZOS_GinaBruno We demand from Zenimax to add notification that "Additional Outfit Slot" is a thing only for 1 character at account! Stop Scam us! Apologies will also be appropriate here.
    Edited by JusticeSouldier on October 4, 2019 11:39PM
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There was no indication of anything and it feels like it was specifically designed to be vague af to trick people. Something that costs 1500 Crowns to unlock an outfit slot for ONE character is a complete scam and it deserves to be called out for that. That seems "helpful" to me.
  • Jusey1
    Jusey1
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the Crown Store is heavily overpriced... So, I am not surprise about this issue with the Outfit Slots, which is a stupid thing to pay money for if you ask me.
    Edited by Jusey1 on October 16, 2019 4:45AM
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thing is they should be account wide and should be under collections under "Upgrade".
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never purchased an outfit slot and never will. If I think something is...taking the mickey...then I won't put money on it. I wish more players were a little less eager to put money on obviously overpriced things so that the company can reassess and actually be more sensible.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is a very good example of why ZoS don't need to change their poor product descriptions nor defend their *** practices. Some of the player base do it for them. This is not only an issue affecting ESO, it's rife in gaming as a whole. Too many people preferring to jump into bed with a faceless corp than side with their fellow consumers. This is why these practices are here to stay and will never ever change. They have no need to change. Why should they? Here's a hint, ZoS aren't your friends. They never were, they never will be. Regardless of the sound bites they put out in live streams or on these forums. I'm not faulting them for this as it's how most businesses work. But some people do need to realise they're defending a company that doesn't care a single jot about them, only their wallets.

Legally, there's obviously a huge difference between digital goods in game than goods sold in a brick and mortar store or digital goods on store fronts such as psn etc. As long as they're upfront about crowns, the 2nd layer of purchasing is open season. In any other instance, the consumer would have comeback with regards to blatantly ambiguous/misleading descriptions.
    Edited by Prof_Bawbag on October 18, 2019 12:23PM
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TIL people actually try to purchase more than one outfit slot....