The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Heavy Attacks with Restoration/Lightning Staves still have issues firing

Mystrius_Archaion
Mystrius_Archaion
✭✭✭✭✭
I posted about this on PTS saying staff weapon targeting broken which was mostly fixed but in the process of going live it is coming back.
I don't notice it as often but it still has trouble automatically firing a heavy attack with a lightning or restoration staff if you start holding the button before you have put the cursor over the enemy.

This is extremely frustrating and annoying and kills combat effectiveness.

Edit:
Also, you try to light attack and often it will do a full heavy attack. I'm not holding the attack button. I just tapped it as quick as I could, but it keeps attacking while I can move normally or interrupt it with a block, so it isn't lag.
There is also an issue where bash doesn't happen because it thinks you want to light attack first. I always had trouble with bash with gamepad so I purposefully hold block so I see the block graphics come up and my character hold the staff out front before hitting attack to bash, but now it doesn't even work that way.
Edited by Mystrius_Archaion on May 29, 2018 12:12PM
  • Ragnork
    Ragnork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought there was something off last night.
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure I had similar problems before Summerset, maybe from the off-balance changes patch. Whatever the case, any fixes to problems created with the direction they have gone with heavy attacks, will surely cause more problems as they back track. But lets hope not.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still getting both extremes of it from time to time.
    • The "nothing to target" one even though something the size of a small house is right in your crosshairs.
    • The "LA?? Nope, you really wanted a heavy attack. You're welcome."
    • Then, potentially related, I'm also getting the "I'll hit the thing offsides (not tab targetted), completely out of your camera view instead of the thing in your crosshairs (even it it is tab targetted).

Any one of these play hell on a rotation.

Having other skill fire delay issues too (LL) that seem to have gotten worse.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that "FULL heavy attack instead of light attack" problem related to this. I never had that issue on PTS or before Summerset on live.
    Also, it tends to want to light attack instead of bash. The order of command input is a little off.

I use gamepad on NA server, fyi.
  • mooslacker
    mooslacker
    ✭✭
    Is an issue on PC EU as well.
  • Cardthief
    Cardthief
    ✭✭✭
    Had this issue when Summerset went Live as well, though it seemed to be patched in the PTS it has since come back when it became Live.
    (MC) Main DPS: Redz Kuinn - Lvl 50 - MagSorc - PvE
    Main Healer: Soranna Anilu - Lvl 50 - Templar - PvE
    Main Tank: Seamus Kuinn - Lvl 50 - Dragonknight - PvE
  • Ragnork
    Ragnork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still getting both extremes of it from time to time.
    • The "nothing to target" one even though something the size of a small house is right in your crosshairs.
    • The "LA?? Nope, you really wanted a heavy attack. You're welcome."
    • Then, potentially related, I'm also getting the "I'll hit the thing offsides (not tab targetted), completely out of your camera view instead of the thing in your crosshairs (even it it is tab targetted).

Any one of these play hell on a rotation.

Having other skill fire delay issues too (LL) that seem to have gotten worse.

All of this
    PC EU and PC NA
  • Cardthief
    Cardthief
    ✭✭✭
    This is a shot in the dark here, but is ZoS aware or looking into this bug @ZOS_GinaBruno ?
  • Kali_Despoine
    Kali_Despoine
    ✭✭✭✭
    this has been happening on the PS4 for years now. I don't think they care as I have never gotten a response form them.
  • Tagonius
    Tagonius
    Soul Shriven
    It's happening to me on PC too. I use gamepad to play. The targeting issue started after Summerset patch, I think.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno - Can we please get a response in regards to this issue? This has not been an issue for me until this morning when I logged in after downloading Summerset. At this point, the vast majority of my heavy attacks do not happen, and given that heavy attacks are an important part of my rotation for damage and sustain, this is pretty game-breaking for doing any serious content. I completed the Cloudrest Trial on normal, and even that was a stretch for executing my rotation and keeping my Magicka up.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still very much broken.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems better for me after yesterday's patch though. I don't know why.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It seems better for me after yesterday's patch though. I don't know why.

It's the exact opposite for me. I didn't have any issues until Summerset dropped. Now I can't get a Heavy Attack in to save my life.

"Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Tagonius
    Tagonius
    Soul Shriven
    It still happens. There are other threads about this. Is it a bug or is how heavy attacks work now? I preferred the previous behavior much more. @ZOS_GinaBruno
  • Thrudra_Magia
    Thrudra_Magia
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed the 'misfire' while in a fight last night and almost died cause my light/heavy attacks were not working with lightning staff.

• Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still an issue...............
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been testing this. It seems to be most common when anything is interrupted or animation-canceled, either by the enemy or myself.
    It also still seems to have trouble targeting when you start holding heavy attack before you target the enemy with a lightning or restoration staff.
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could this other thread's issue be related to this? It seems likely:
    49,710 day Heavy Attack Bug
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is also an issue where bash doesn't happen because it thinks you want to light attack first. I always had trouble with bash with gamepad so I purposefully hold block so I see the block graphics come up and my character hold the staff out front before hitting attack to bash, but now it doesn't even work that way.
    In my experience, you are right. For quite a while now, attempting to Bash an opponent has seldom resulted in a "bash attack". It does not matter whether I press the RMB first to Block, then the LMB to Bash while holding the RMB down. The block will occur, but ordinarily the ensuing bash will not. It's a surprise to see when it does.

Originally, I could press both buttons simultaneously and hold them down. Then the character would first Block, followed by Bashing the opponent. Now, if I hold both buttons down simultaneously, the character simply Blocks. I don't know the patch after which the ensuing Bash no longer occurred.

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Own
    Own
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's so true. Hitting heavy attack right before the curser hits them seems to stop it from attacking
  • Tagonius
    Tagonius
    Soul Shriven
    More than a month after Summerset launch and it's still there. I think there has not been an official reply about this bug yet.
  • FastBen
    FastBen
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately it is still an issue! Almost every friend and guildmate I asked have the same problem and still the attention this bug gets is ridiculously low. There are a few comments and complains and that’s all. Very surprised about that, because it completely ruins your rotation and dd. And at the same time every second complain/coment is about the broken daily rewards – and all the noise is for a couple of *** exp scrolls and repair kits! Come on people, help! Otherwise this will just become a feature of the game!
  • Eso101rus
    Eso101rus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yh this bug does need some attention hopefully very quickly. It feels like the hit box on targets is so small and it’s definitely affecting rotations and dps output. Shame that there has been no developer feedback as far as I can tell.
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not the hit boxes. It seems to randomly be when you hold the heavy attack command when you don't have a target in your crosshairs and then move to target, or are out of range and come into range. Your character turns to face the target as it does when it would connect but the attack never fires.
    It also seems to happen when you heavy attack too early after a dodge or block or interrupt bash or after using a skill as if it interrupts the animation of those and can't fire even though the heavy attack charging animation is happening but sometimes even that doesn't happen.
    It seems there is a limit to animation canceling now that can be hit far too easily and just locks out heavy attacks until you release the button and press it again.

Edit:
    After more thought, this is the exact same thing that happens with bash on my gamepad. I have to hold block to where I see the arms come up to block in order to be able to bash because the game registers the commands out of order and assumes I wanted to light attack instead of bash.
    This could be that the heavy attack, if triggered too early after another action, is registering on the server or client side before the previous action and therefore being interrupted by the previous action until a new command to heavy attack is sent, which is why it waits for the button to be released and pressed again as a new command.
    Edited by Mystrius_Archaion on July 3, 2018 11:53PM
  • Cardthief
    Cardthief
    ✭✭✭
    Its crazy that after all this time they still haven't even said a word about this, it seriously kills rotations and overall combat effectiveness.
  • paulychan
    paulychan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heavy attacks getting stuck for multiple pulls.
    Light attacks and heavy attacks not firing.
    Long periods where heavy attacks won’t fire no matter what you do.
    Heavy attack animation not firing but attack still seems to function.
    LA not firing during weaving. I’ll push it, nothing happens. This did work for a long time for me. Not any more.
    I’d say my dps is half what it could be. Also, can’t switch bars. I switch and nothing happens. Remove another 10k or so dps. Something is seriously broken

All on lightning and Resto staves.
  • paulychan
    paulychan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I forgot the part where I target a creature behind me across the map with a ha instead of the highlighted creature directly in front of me. I’ll adjust and rehighlight to no avail. Yet another pull on a creature half the map away rather than the boss a foot away.
    In rials, you can hear “burn phase, burn the boss” and half the group yells at their toon to attack.
    I’m pretty sure that we are suppose to be able to use buttons to attack, not verbal direction which, in all honestly, works about the same atm.
    Edited by paulychan on July 5, 2018 4:32PM
  • Cardthief
    Cardthief
    ✭✭✭
    Ever since the last couple of patches its only gotten worse, around 50%-60% of my light or heavy attacks wont go off and when they do the light attacks are usually full heavy ones, or my next ability wont proc.

@ZOS_GinaBruno I know its most likely difficult to go through all of the mentions on the forums, but if you do get around to finding this thread, can you please let us know if ZoS is aware of this bug, and if so is working on fixing it?
  • DarkAedin
    DarkAedin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has this just become a nerf sorc thread?

But srsly. Its kind of an issue.
    Edited by DarkAedin on July 8, 2018 10:51PM
This discussion has been closed.