The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

4 reasons you SHOULD be bunny hopping in battle

• ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd still bunnyhop if it would cost stamina. Should work even better as a taunt then.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I still don't care if it provides advantage. I understand jumping to get LOS if there's a rock between you and opponent, but when I see someone just hopping over and over again for no reason in open field (no blocking) just hop, shoot, hop, shoot, hop, shoot and then hop some more after I'm dead it's kills my immersion completely. It's as annoying as trying to catch a stam sorc who runs around trees and towers at 4000% speed.

Unfortunately for any immersion fans like me, some PvPers are so extremely competitive that they will use every tiny advantage available and call you a noob/scrub/l2p-pleb if you don't hop around or run around a tree like a mad man.

Jumping should DEFINITELY cost stamina when 'In Combat' since as presented, it provides tactical as well as DPS and tanking advantage at currently NO COST. If anything, things like that should be patched up.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »
    I still don't care if it provides advantage. I understand jumping to get LOS if there's a rock between you and opponent, but when I see someone just hopping over and over again for no reason in open field (no blocking) just hop, shoot, hop, shoot, hop, shoot and then hop some more after I'm dead it's kills my immersion completely. It's as annoying as trying to catch a stam sorc who runs around trees and towers at 4000% speed.

Unfortunately for any immersion fans like me, some PvPers are so extremely competitive that they will use every tiny advantage available and call you a noob/scrub/l2p-pleb if you don't hop around or run around a tree like a mad man.

Jumping should DEFINITELY cost stamina when 'In Combat' since as presented, it provides tactical as well as DPS and tanking advantage at currently NO COST. If anything, things like that should be patched up.

I can understand immersion in PvE zones

But in Cyrodiil? Unironically? Why would you even?
  • Syncronaut
    Syncronaut
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRq2u91g6Hg

Bunnyhopping is valid tactic.

Khajits who bunnyhopp should get a damage increase in pvp.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taylor_MB wrote: »
    I made this video and post because a vast majority of the community seems to thoroughly misunderstand bunny hopping.

lol.

It's not misunderstood, it's just annoying to be on the receiving end of a bunny hopper. And this transcends many competitive multiplayer games.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like jumping cus it sets a tempo/rhythm that can help on some classes such as mag sorc, and cus throwing up buffs while jumping just looks cooler.

I figured out a while back why jumping triggers some people enough to demand nerfs to it. Many good players tend to jump excessively, many bad players complain about jumping. Put the two together and it’s clear what’s going on. It’s classic Pavlovian Conditioning. For the “make jumping cost stam” types, the sight of jumping “bunny rabbits” is often followed by swift beat downs. Over time, they subconsciously associate the act of jumping with the negative feelings of dying in pvp. Hence, nerf jumping. Lol.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Horker
    Horker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    Horker wrote: »
    Bunny hopping to line of sight is weak and pathethic, YOU CRITICAL CHARGE FOR EXAMPLE TOWARDS YOUR TARGET, RIGHT TROUGH THE MASSIVE ZERG, YOU IGNORE ALL, YOU SPAM IMMOVABLE POTS AND SMASH THEM IN THE NUTS!!!!!!
    See, i have a rage problem whenever i see or smell testicl3s of my enemies i cant contain my inner rage.

Even tough you might have a 99% change of failing, you MUST in all occasions PUSH towards whatever is your target! this way is the only way to prove yourself as a proud Orc in the name of Malacath!

Bonus points for brandishing your axe with the fire memento mid battle when the boss does his burst damage. Will get you the utmost respect from your healer and the admiration of fellow Orcs.

since i became the tank slave of the lizard buttler squad ill do this next time, i even considered using shield charge just for style points aswell on a tank and ninja pull all bosses at once!!!!!!
    ROSES ARE RED, VIOLETS ARE BLUE, TRINIMAC IS DEAD, MALACATH IS TRUE
  • Mannix1958
    Mannix1958
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yanno I've found hopping mildly annoying but never ground my gears. Now that I know that it even has a slight bonus to it in PVP ...it should cost stamina...like the streak nerf of increased cost only for stamina. A little a first but its gotta tire you out...some more each repeated use.
  • Horker
    Horker
    ✭✭✭✭
    nothing to see here
    Edited by Horker on May 17, 2018 12:27PM
    ROSES ARE RED, VIOLETS ARE BLUE, TRINIMAC IS DEAD, MALACATH IS TRUE
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never knew there were so many stiff Edgelords in Cyrodiil ...

reaper_vs_76_by_thunderhotdragon-day37qw.png
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember bunny-hopping around 25 years ago!.. Only back then it was for a huge speed advantage..:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6jm9iGW2Co

Too old for that stuff now.. Knees are shot :-p
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. Some decent advantages. Needs a down side like taking fall damage if stunned/knockdown in mid air
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    I remember bunny-hopping around 25 years ago!.. Only back then it was for a huge speed advantage..:

See this stuck around, and it no longer became about speed it became about moving hitboxes.
    People do it in overwatch where the hitboxes are huge and it has no advantage at all.
    They don't understand what it originally was, now it is just a meme that every multiplayer FPS game, you have to bunny hop.
    It was cancerous then, and is still now. It was an unintended manipulation of the game (same as rocket jumping) that players found, not a dev intended mechanic (same as weaving in ESO)
    People in battlefield bunny hop, where the devs purposely made it so that bunny hopping decreases your speed! in an attempt to get rid of it.
    The worse culprit atm is titanfall 2, where it is bunny hopping, into slide and air strafe.
    The game is brilliant but the crap you have to do just to compete is ridiculous.
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Allow me to respond to OP's statements please.

1) Line of Sight
    • Allows you to still hit your opponents as they try to hid behind a rock or crate.

R: Same way I can say that, if you jump, you are making their job easier to hit you from behind a rock or crate.

• Denies opponents the ability to hide behind their zerg as you attempt to burst them down.

R: Again, same way I can say that, if you jump, you are making their job easier to hit you from behind a zerg.

2) Situational Awareness
    • Keep your full speed whilst jumping and doing a 360 spin with your camera to see how many opponents are chasing you.

R: No need to jump. You can just run full speed, click your mouse wheel and rotate the camera to look back, while still running full speed.

3) Block Jumping
    • Have a ~90% uptime on block with NO movement penalty.

R: There's a passive already for blocking movement. Also, we're talking about bunny jumpers that use to do short-distance jumps in this case, so it's like walking slowly too if you jump almost in the same place. Still, if we talk about CONSTANT long-distance jumps (like to chase or escape), to do a full running speed jump you need to release block first, you CAN'T run full speed and jump if you didn't release block first, so every full speed run jump you want to do you HAVE TO release block. So, again, if you want to maintain full speed while jumping you need to release block, and if you jump in place or almost in place it's like if you are advancing/moving slowly anyways.

4) Negate Self Snaring Skills (forgot to mention in video)
    • Jump + cast allows you to keep full speed while using skills that would otherwise slow you down.

R: Jump + cast (so while on the air) prevents you from roll dodging. Casting those particular skills doesn't slow you down if you jump + cast, but you can't dodge anything, so that's worse since you will get more hits that you CAN'T dodge.

One more disadvantage added:

5) While on the air, an opponent's wrecking blow will put you even higher in the air, defenseless, with nothing you can do. And so a sure death before you are back in solid ground. Can't even remember now how many times I condemned bunny jumpers to death with a simple wrecking blow

Edited by Dragonnord on May 17, 2018 5:02PM
    SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • Mannix1958
    Mannix1958
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dragonnord wrote: »
    Allow me to respond to OP's statements please.

1) Line of Sight
    • Allows you to still hit your opponents as they try to hid behind a rock or crate.

R: Same way I can say that, if you jump, you are making their job easier to hit you from behind a rock or crate.

• Denies opponents the ability to hide behind their zerg as you attempt to burst them down.

R: Again, same way I can say that, if you jump, you are making their job easier to hit you from behind a zerg.

2) Situational Awareness
    • Keep your full speed whilst jumping and doing a 360 spin with your camera to see how many opponents are chasing you.

R: No need to jump. You can just run full speed, click your mouse wheel and rotate the camera to look back, while still running full speed.

3) Block Jumping
    • Have a ~90% uptime on block with NO movement penalty.

R: There's a passive already for blocking movement. Also, we're talking about bunny jumpers that use to to do short-distance jumps in this case, so it's like walking slowly too if you jump almost in the same place. Still, if we talk about CONSTANT long-distance jumps (like to chase or escape), to do a full running speed jump you need to release block first, you CAN'T run full speed and jump if you didn't release block first, so every full speed run jump you want to do you HAVE TO release block. So, again, if you want to maintain full speed while jumping you need to release block, and if you jump in place or almost in place it's like if you are advancing/moving slowly anyways.

4) Negate Self Snaring Skills (forgot to mention in video)
    • Jump + cast allows you to keep full speed while using skills that would otherwise slow you down.

R: Jump + cast (so while on the air) prevents you from roll dodging. Casting those particular skills doesn't slow you down but you can't dodge anything, so that's worse. So you will get more hits that you CAN'T dodge.

One more disadvantage added:

5) While on the air, an opponent's wrecking blow will put you even higher in the air, defenseless, with nothing you can do. And so a sure death before you are back in solid ground

You make some really nice cases for the downside.
  • SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most bunny hoppers just do it as they are FPS players. All these reasons, yea sure, but the majority of the hooping is not done for them reasons, its out in the open.

You see it in duels, hop hop hop, no rocks, no LOS issues, no needing to look behind, no targetting issues, they just do it as thats what they do.

But who cares, if people wanna do it go ahead.
    Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People that bunny hope are probably vegan, have a weird hatred of gluten and regularly participate in crossfit. NAP
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • turanbloodfist
    turanbloodfist
    Soul Shriven
    I think constantly jumping in combat looks ridiculous so i'd prefer it wasn't a thing. If the jumping / terrain mechanics were at a point where we could start pulling off some cool parkour style movement then maybe i'd change my mind but, as they are, hopping around just takes away from the combat experience for me. That's my opinion and people are free to disagree.

If you're circumventing game mechanics by doing so however, that's a bug and should be fixed as such.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing is half the misinformation is spread by those that knew it did something.

Look back at the threads. I raised one way back and the smoke and mirrors by better players on what it actually did is kinda funny. Knowledge is power etc.

My view, if it does anything funky to combat / dodge / defence. That jump should cost stamina. Bunny hopping meta looks ridiculous
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched 2 hoppers going at it at a dolmen yesterday. Never stopped hopping once.
    They dueled others in-between dolmen pops and it was pretty funny watching them die in mid air.
  • DjMuscleboy02
    DjMuscleboy02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone knows you do more damage jumping. It's simple science. As seen here

https://youtu.be/ubNBtEXtLjA
    Brodor - PC NA - ESO's only pure bodybuilding guild
    Hodor, but stronger
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smh...just luv when people try to dictate how I play MY game.
    It hurts YOUR immersion? #FEELSBADMAN
    It’s unrealistic!? Yup, Reality is a Huge Factor in Fantasy
    It gives Unfair Advantage!? Not unfair if Anyone can do it.
    It does Nothing for you!? Nothing to see here, Move on...No issue No problem.
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5) Be a Sorc
  • central_scrutinizer
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    Bunny hopping is cancer in all games, and every FPS game is full of it.
    just leave that crap for quake.

Almost no FPS has genuine bunnyhopping ala quake
  • central_scrutinizer
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    Biro123 wrote: »

See this stuck around, and it no longer became about speed it became about moving hitboxes.
    People do it in overwatch where the hitboxes are huge and it has no advantage at all.
    They don't understand what it originally was, now it is just a meme that every multiplayer FPS game, you have to bunny hop.
    It was cancerous then, and is still now. It was an unintended manipulation of the game (same as rocket jumping) that players found, not a dev intended mechanic (same as weaving in ESO)
    People in battlefield bunny hop, where the devs purposely made it so that bunny hopping decreases your speed! in an attempt to get rid of it.
    The worse culprit atm is titanfall 2, where it is bunny hopping, into slide and air strafe.
    The game is brilliant but the crap you have to do just to compete is ridiculous.

Some of us played way, way too much quake and can't even stop. I just start doing it when I get into a flow of snap shotting, I have to consciously stop myself. The various cadences have been ingrained, I aim flawlessly when I can maintain it, even if only for a few seconds.
    It wasn't cancerous back when it was actually relevant, it was fun as hell, especially when team fortress and Tribes and weapons factory and action quake ect came about. If you were actually around for it and didn't participate, I genuinely feel sorry for you, that's a long, long time to be stuck in molasses.
    Sounds like you've been a walking pack of ammo for a quarter of a decade.
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dude you forgot the big one! "My beat-keeping thumb is bored!"
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes but riddle me this...
    Why do bunny hoppers hop around to everywhere in PVE? I understand they practicing their rotation, as you see them barswap and fire off skills, whilst light attacking in between (all whilst running to a point and hopping).
    To me this is weird and unhealthy behaviour, maybe as a one off but when they do it everywhere then I think they need to just shut off for a moment.

That just goes to demonstrate that where things like bunny hopping and jumping generally are concerned, tactical considerations and symptoms of mental health problems are not necessarily mutually exclusive :wink: !
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one reason why you should: So everyone can see how dumb you look. I jump around in town if I'm bored or waiting for q, I probably end up doing it in pvp subconsciously. But when I see a group of 4 idiot blue sorcs jumping around, throwing aoes, that's my cue to just leave cyrodil.
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phage wrote: »
    Still looks ridiculous and childish.

Takes me back to the days of Halo where everyone was leaping around noscoping with sniper rifles or sticking you with grenades while in midair.

The extreme on halo, was to jump and spam your crouch button mid air - during a Battle Rifle (BR) standoff.

#BumperJumper
    PC EU - NoCP PvP, is real PvP
    Tiidehunter Nord StamDK EP PvP Main
    Legion Commander Tresdin Stamplar DC PvE Main
    Sephirith Altmer MagPlar EP Gondar the Bounty Hunter Khajiit StamBlade DC
    The Dirge Redguard StamNecro EP Disruptor Stormcrafter Nord StamSorc AD
    Lone Druid Bosmer Stam Warden EP Necro-Phos Argonian MagBlade AD
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience it’s due to how the terrain in Cyrodiil ruins any kind of fluid movement. You simply get around easier.
    PC EU - NoCP PvP, is real PvP
    Tiidehunter Nord StamDK EP PvP Main
    Legion Commander Tresdin Stamplar DC PvE Main
    Sephirith Altmer MagPlar EP Gondar the Bounty Hunter Khajiit StamBlade DC
    The Dirge Redguard StamNecro EP Disruptor Stormcrafter Nord StamSorc AD
    Lone Druid Bosmer Stam Warden EP Necro-Phos Argonian MagBlade AD
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.