The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Veteran City of Ash 2

BozzyTheDrummer
BozzyTheDrummer
✭✭✭✭
I tried this the other night with two friends. Myself using my MagSorc at Cp251. My friend and his healer at cp298 and the other being a DK tank Cp450.

We got wrecked. Like, really bad lol. I just want to complete it to get the valkyn Skoria Helmet.

Is this doable with me being in the 200's? I know it's better to have a full team going into it. The three of us tried it out more so to see if we could even attempt it.

What is a recommended cp level to clear this dungeon?
Xbox NA
CP810+

Valthyr Alynwen High Elf MagSorc EP
Valeon Indoril Dark Elf MagDK EP
Willard Lorrthane Breton MagDen EP
Faelian Elilanar High Elf MagPlar EP
Dro'Kassa Khajiit MagCro EP
Im-Tanky-Enough Argonian Tank EP
Lorgdan Bladesmith Orc StamBlade DC
Cyrus Hayle Redguard StamSorc EP
Xuxtheem-Light-Bearer Argonian Healer AD
Galen Morthain Dark Elf MagBlade EP
Burgesh the Mighty Orc StamDen DC
Mekar the Vile Orc StamCro DC

"Fimmion hungry. Want sweetroll. Fimmion like pants. Love sweetroll."
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is doable at lower CP, but you will need to do all the mechanics. Which boss were you stuck on?
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is doable at lower CP, but you will need to do all the mechanics. Which boss were you stuck on?

Usually its the Daedroth boss
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to feel dumb for saying this, but the very first boss. The guy that always uses the chains on you with the archer and mage next to him. We did the normal CoA2 before hand, and he was still the only boss we had a rough time with, the others, we took down with ease.
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

• lardvader
    lardvader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the dungeon is not that hard but Skoria is little a dps check. Not too bad but good to be cp300+ and both dps know a bit about the rotation.

I'm playing my secondary account these days and want a few Skorias myself. Had to give up the other day when all of us was in the range of cp200 and 2 new players.

If you find a good dps at cp cap with monster dmg it should be pretty easy to do. Just a bit long of a dungeon.
    CP 1200+ PC EU EP
  • lardvader
    lardvader
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to feel dumb for saying this, but the very first boss. The guy that always uses the chains on you with the archer and mage next to him. We did the normal CoA2 before hand, and he was still the only boss we had a rough time with, the others, we took down with ease.

edit; Oooops gave tips for the wrong boss, sorry
    Edited by lardvader on May 15, 2018 3:46PM
    CP 1200+ PC EU EP
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    lardvader wrote: »
    Most of the dungeon is not that hard but Skoria is little a dps check. Not too bad but good to be cp300+ and both dps know a bit about the rotation.

I'm playing my secondary account these days and want a few Skorias myself. Had to give up the other day when all of us was in the range of cp200 and 2 new players.

If you find a good dps at cp cap with monster dmg it should be pretty easy to do. Just a bit long of a dungeon.

I think I'll be getting into the cp300 range before I attempt again. Yea, we completed the normal version beforehand and it is quite lengthy.
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

• Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't focus ads. Focus the 2hander guy because he's the one that spawns the ads. Then do mage then archer
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Voxicity wrote: »

Don't focus ads. Focus the 2hander guy because he's the one that spawns the ads. Then do mage then archer

Oh okay. I myself had been focusing on the archer, as with my MagSorc, archers seem to be the bane of my existence. every shot taking a good chunk of health.

But then I guess I kind of shoot myself in the foot there, because the 2hand guy always chains me back to him lol
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

• lardvader
    lardvader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voxicity wrote: »

Yeah I edited because I just assumed Maw - I always find pugs stuck at that one.

For the first boss we use the strategy you describe. Rukhan - Mage - Archer
    Edited by lardvader on May 15, 2018 3:52PM
    CP 1200+ PC EU EP
  • Camb0Sl1ce
    Camb0Sl1ce
    ✭✭✭
    Like said above focus the 2 hander, when I've pugged it in the past on my tank in particular, I find groups have a really hard time with the second boss. Once she spawns her adds if they're not killed quickly she will just heal back to full.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going with 3 players only raises the difficulty considerably given your already low CP numbers and the fact you’re not that familiar with boss mechanics. It’s a tough task.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your replies. The next time I try this, I will focus on my team taking out the 2hander first, then mage, then archer. Hopefully it goes well!
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

• BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    Going with 3 players only raises the difficulty considerably given your already low CP numbers and the fact you’re not that familiar with boss mechanics. It’s a tough task.

It was tough! Three of us were kind of joking going in with the mindset "how hard could this actually be?" I mean we didn't expect to get far lol but when we got to that first boss, we ran out of there quick after getting slapped lol
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

• vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    for coa2 you will need two vets 700+ and one 500+ fourth could be anything. This is if you want to have a room for error.

-vovus
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    vovus69 wrote: »
    for coa2 you will need two vets 700+ and one 500+ fourth could be anything. This is if you want to have a room for error.

-vovus

Dang, I got a ways to go then lol
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

• vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    yep
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completed this the first time a VR11(CP110) so its certainly possible with lower CP, its all about the mechanics. For the first boss, you always focus down the chainer first since he calls flame atros as long as he is up, but a DK tank needs to pull in the atros with chains and the DPS need to lay down AoEs to deal with them while single target abilities are focused on the chainer boss...after that go after the healer...then the archer last.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At CP 200, you are far more powerful than any of us were when COA 2 launched (and it was maybe the toughest dungeon in the game).

COA2 Is one of the few non-DLC dungeons that really does require you to follow some mechanics, so it can be a wake up call for a lot of groups.

With your group, you were essentially trying to do this dungeon with REALLY low DPS. You group comp of a Tank, Heals, and 1 DPS is certainly one of your biggest problems. At your CP, you arent doing nearly enough damage by yourself to skip or minimize any mechanics.

The first boss can be done really 1 of about 3 ways. The first is a straight nuke. It can be done with one DPS, but they had better be hitting some big numbers. Most Groupfinder groups with 2 DPS cant do this strat. You bascially single target the boss and ignore adds.

The second way is more practical. Again, you basically single target the boss, but you have your tank (needs to be on his game), chain in adds as they spawn so you can kill them with cleave damage. This is probably how most groups should try to do it. For a DPS, it really is the same thing as a nuke (maybe you time your ults for add waves), but hopefully, you have a lot less pressure at the end.

The third way I have seen it done actually has the healer round up and try to separate adds away from the tank and boss, and the DPS focuses them directly. I never had a lot of patience for this strat, but killing and add wave or two is often a solid strat if you are getting overwhellmed.

Honestly, the first boss is the tip of the iceberg. I think the second Titan boss is the hardest in there. It requires a tank that can generally handle themselves, a healer that can pay attention to 2 things at once, and damage that wont fall over at the first fire wave.

The last boss is almost a pure DPS check. Again a tank with chains and some good cleave is helpful, but hardmode especially, is a essentially a DPS race mixed with a game of "the floor is lava."

Edit: Oh crap, I was describing the second boss (or was it the third). Haha, forgot about that first guy and his buddies.

Well again, you have really two options. Nuke the main guy first then kill adds, or kill adds then kill the main guy. An experienced group will just nuke the main boss where he stand. The safer strat is to nuke the mage (bash/interrupt if he starts healing), then nuke the archer, then nuke the main boss.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on May 15, 2018 4:13PM
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-vovus

You really do not to even be CP160 to finish vCOA2, I know this for a fact, I finished this at CP110 long ago.
  • Aebaradath
    Aebaradath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-vovus
    Yeah... that statement is wrong on so many levels. The last time I heard that level of BS, it was in a tampon commercial.
    Edited by Aebaradath on May 15, 2018 4:18PM
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

-vovus

LOL YOU"RE JOKING RIGHT. You can do it with every just over CP 160. You just have to do the mechanics. It's not that bad. The biggest issue they were trying to 3 man a 4 man dungeon without being really over geared and high CP.
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    At CP 200, you are far more powerful than any of us were when COA 2 launched (and it was maybe the toughest dungeon in the game).

COA2 Is one of the few non-DLC dungeons that really does require you to follow some mechanics, so it can be a wake up call for a lot of groups.

With your group, you were essentially trying to do this dungeon with REALLY low DPS. You group comp of a Tank, Heals, and 1 DPS is certainly one of your biggest problems. At your CP, you arent doing nearly enough damage by yourself to skip or minimize any mechanics.

The first boss can be done really 1 of about 3 ways. The first is a straight nuke. It can be done with one DPS, but they had better be hitting some big numbers. Most Groupfinder groups with 2 DPS cant do this strat. You bascially single target the boss and ignore adds.

The second way is more practical. Again, you basically single target the boss, but you have your tank (needs to be on his game), chain in adds as they spawn so you can kill them with cleave damage. This is probably how most groups should try to do it. For a DPS, it really is the same thing as a nuke (maybe you time your ults for add waves), but hopefully, you have a lot less pressure at the end.

The third way I have seen it done actually has the healer round up and try to separate adds away from the tank and boss, and the DPS focuses them directly. I never had a lot of patience for this strat, but killing and add wave or two is often a solid strat if you are getting overwhellmed.

Honestly, the first boss is the tip of the iceberg. I think the second Titan boss is the hardest in there. It requires a tank that can generally handle themselves, a healer that can pay attention to 2 things at once, and damage that wont fall over at the first fire wave.

The last boss is almost a pure DPS check. Again a tank with chains and some good cleave is helpful, but hardmode especially, is a essentially a DPS race mixed with a game of "the floor is lava."

It was definitely a wake up call. Other dungeons we go in with barely any knowledge of mechanics and make it through just fine as we learn along the way, but this one was like "okay this is too tough, maybe another time"

Our Tank is in the 400's but just recently re-speced his character to actually "Tank" as before, he was just playing the game his way. Our healer, who plays a handful of characters, is our most knowledgeable player. Usually he and I both do DPS when we have our fourth player.

Seems like I have some learning and leveling to do before I attempt this again with hopes of succeeding.
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

• Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

-vovus

Lol? With a full group this can be done without CP....
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What server are you on? If PC NA I can help you through vCOA2 this afternoon.
  • flguy147ub17_ESO
    flguy147ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What server are you on? I am on Xbox NA. I can bring my Mag Sorc DPS to help out and especially for a couple bosses when you need more dps.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CP is not your problem. You can have capped CP and still do poorly. And you can have 160 CP and do a good job. Of course, CP helps, and people who have higher CP tend to have more experience. But don't go thinking, "I need to go grind CP now!"

What you absolutely do need, though, is good damage output. Even if you kill the targets in the first boss in the 'wrong" order, it should not be that much of a struggle unless your damage output is just far too low.

So the first thing to do, really, is to sit yourself in front of a target dummy and see how much damage you're doing. You don't need that much for vCoA2 (though the more you have, the easier it becomes, of course). Can you hit 20K on a target dummy? Make that your first goal, and then work from there.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    CP is not your problem. You can have capped CP and still do poorly. And you can have 160 CP and do a good job. Of course, CP helps, and people who have higher CP tend to have more experience. But don't go thinking, "I need to go grind CP now!"

What you absolutely do need, though, is good damage output. Even if you kill the targets in the first boss in the 'wrong" order, it should not be that much of a struggle unless your damage output is just far too low.

So the first thing to do, really, is to sit yourself in front of a target dummy and see how much damage you're doing. You don't need that much for vCoA2 (though the more you have, the easier it becomes, of course). Can you hit 20K on a target dummy? Make that your first goal, and then work from there.

Thanks for your response.

I have never practiced on a target dummy, and do not know where to find one.

When you ask if I can hit at least 20K on a dummy, is that 20K for a single attack, or combined?

I hear people in videos and see people on here talking different numbers as far as DPS output, but do not really know what it means.
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

• Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It was definitely a wake up call. Other dungeons we go in with barely any knowledge of mechanics and make it through just fine as we learn along the way, but this one was like "okay this is too tough, maybe another time"

Our Tank is in the 400's but just recently re-speced his character to actually "Tank" as before, he was just playing the game his way. Our healer, who plays a handful of characters, is our most knowledgeable player. Usually he and I both do DPS when we have our fourth player.

Seems like I have some learning and leveling to do before I attempt this again with hopes of succeeding.

My first VCOA clear took about 4 hours if it makes you feel better. Back then you didnt get a helm every time, nor could you group trade. I still remember getting my first skoria helm on run #16. I do believe it is the hardest non-DLC dungeon on vet. It was the first dungeon that my group at the time had to actually stop and think about a strategy. It was a very different animal back then, but the same principles apply. He is out of the game at this point I think, but I will plug Deltias old guides for these dungeons. They are thorough and tell you all you need to know. I always viewed his builds with a fair amount of skepticism, but his dungeon guides usually do the trick.

http://deltiasgaming.com/2014/11/29/veteran-city-ash-guide/
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on May 15, 2018 7:06PM
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

Thanks for your response.

I have never practiced on a target dummy, and do not know where to find one.

When you ask if I can hit at least 20K on a dummy, is that 20K for a single attack, or combined?

I hear people in videos and see people on here talking different numbers as far as DPS output, but do not really know what it means.

You can either find someone who has a target dummy in their home (you could even ask in zone chat). Or you can acquire a dummy to place in your own home (either by buying one that someone crafted, crafting it yourself, or even buying one from the Crown Store). The basic 3-million-health dummy will suffice. Hit this dummy until it dies. And then the game will tell you how much DPS you did while killing the dummy. This is the number to pay attention to. (And for Console players like you, this is the only way to measure DPS.)
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭

My first VCOA clear took about 4 hours if it makes you feel better. Back then you didnt get a helm every time, nor could you group trade. I still remember getting my first skoria helm on run #16. I do believe it is the hardest non-DLC dungeon on vet. It was the first dungeon that my group at the time had to actually stop and think about a strategy. It was a very different animal back then, but the same principles apply. He is out of the game at this point I think, but I will plug Deltias old guides for these dungeons. They are thorough and tell you all you need to know. I always viewed his builds with a fair amount of skepticism, but his dungeon guides usually do the trick.

http://deltiasgaming.com/2014/11/29/veteran-city-ash-guide/

That is a good chunk of time! Thank you for the link, I like Deltia's videos.

Yea I would agree that is definitely tough. We previously tried Crypt of Hearts on veteran and blew through all the bosses before having to get off at the end boss, but it wasn't nearly as challenging as vCoA2.
    Xbox NA
    CP810+