The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is Zaan's Broken?

• Lord_Ninka
    Lord_Ninka
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    It's ridiculous, counter-intuitive, and unfair that it goes through walls, floors, and other obstacles. Like any channeled effect it should break when you break line of sight, otherwise it's extremely hard to counter that extremely strong 5 second channel. Maybe there'd still be room for fine tuning if you fixed that, but I think it would be approaching something very reasonable if it didn't go through obstacles.

If it really is intentional that it goes through everything - although that's hard to believe - then the damage should be about halved imo, the lack of LoS requirement makes it that powerful.
    Edited by Lord_Ninka on May 21, 2018 12:34PM
    Options
  • Mattoxx96
    Mattoxx96
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Yes it's cancer, just like soul assault
    Options
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    SugaComa wrote: »
    BohnT wrote: »
    Yes it is.
    A set that can kill a player on its own needs to have very very easy counterplay.
    Zaan doesn't have that, the wearer can easily stay in a 10m range of it's pretty and force them to take absurd amounts of damage.

A long cooldown doesn't justify a set that makes you win so many fights or apply ∅5k pressure over 5 seconds. Most ults are not able to do that while having more drawbacks, cost something and have easier counterplay

In battle grounds I got hit by a 15k zaan now monster sets should there to give you an edge, a step up , life save, not to do the whole job for you

You got hit for 15k damage over 5 seconds? Wow thats almost like 3k dps total!!!

I'm new to battle grounds and with no CP I only have 19k health which means 79% of the damage I was hit with cam from a monster set

It's not the damage that's the problem so much as I know it's a build up over time the problem is that that build up is allowed to happen cos the so called orange beam is not appearing on screen so I can't see my self recieving damage so you feel that you can handle the small damage you can see until it's too late your dead ... Zaans is called a cancer set not cos it's OP as such but because it's the invisible killer
    Options
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Zaans is called a cancer set not cos it's OP as such but because it's the invisible killer

If its not appearing for you it is probably a issue with your graphical settings or your PC hardware or possibly your connection to the game server. I have no problem seeing it when it is procced on me or if I have procced it on sombody else.

Most likely a problem with the game server, kinda like how a snipe spammer will fire off 3 snipes at your then on your screen they all land at the same time.
    Edited by ShadowMonarch on May 23, 2018 6:31PM
    Options
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Please nerf it
    Easy counterplay KappaClaus
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
    Options
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please nerf it
    Zaan is totally balanced. Everyone just needs to stop complaining and L2P. I'm super serious.
    dxyRIYx.jpg

I have other screenshots of eating 6-7k from 2 ticks, but the mouse I'm stuck using for the moment has a really awful sensor in it and blacking out names to avoid "naming and shaming" is a real chore.
    Options
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    wheem_ESO wrote: »
    Zaan is totally balanced. Everyone just needs to stop complaining and L2P. I'm super serious.
    dxyRIYx.jpg

I have other screenshots of eating 6-7k from 2 ticks, but the mouse I'm stuck using for the moment has a really awful sensor in it and blacking out names to avoid "naming and shaming" is a real chore.

Nerf Incap. It hits way too hard
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zaan is both fine and terrible lol.

Considering malubeth hard counters the beam, and the major vitality counters major defile.

I'd say it's build dependant; if you roll a rollercoaster medium armor build without 3 teirs of defense, you kinda should die to zaan. But if you add ways to block, craft a more brawler setup tailored to your style of play and use a passive way to boost healing, then I'd say your better off than trying to follow click bait 6.5k WD YouTube builds.
    Edited by Minno on May 23, 2018 9:10PM
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Nobody wrote: »
    Dodge roll and sprinting for 1 second counters it. Blocking counters it. The above mentioned Purge/Cloak counter it. Streak counters it. Basically if you are not afk - you will counter it.

OP? Depends. If a CP196 Stam NB jumped on me and randomly died to a Zaan proc in 1 second - may look OP, not like he would have not died after an additional second without Zaan playing its part.

Sprint and dodge don't counter it or are you unable to walk when using Zaan? Right you are not.
    Purge doesn't work fast enough and isn't reliable.
    Blocking Zaan still deals absurd amounts of damage while it drains stamina 5 seconds of block with maximum cost reduction costs 8000 stamina on an build with no cost reduction you are looking at 32000 stamina while you are still taking lots of damage.

The only viable counters are cloak and streak meaning 3 classes get rekt by a set unless the user isn't fully ***.

Malubeth. The beam cancels the dmg (12k with 3 ticks each of zaan versus 6k heal reduced by battlespirit but after the major vitality).

Then you force to player to start around and take damage from malubeth or run away and break their zaan.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Minno wrote: »

Considering malubeth hard counters the beam, and the major vitality counters major defile.

I'd say it's build dependant; if you roll a rollercoaster medium armor build without 3 teirs of defense, you kinda should die to zaan. But if you add ways to block, craft a more brawler setup tailored to your style of play and use a passive way to boost healing, then I'd say your better off than trying to follow click bait 6.5k WD YouTube builds.

No you shouldn't die to a single set no matter of your build.
    Options
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, it is broken. It deals massive damage and with unblockable CC, you are as good as dead in that fight. Because even if you break free and try to heal, you would have expended your resources defensively so much that you will not be abls to keep up with your enemy who doesn't really spend as much resources as you because Zaan makes it unnecessary for your enemy to spend resources offensively other than hard cc. Zaan should probably need to be adjusted. I mean, I've been dealing with it but still, it deals too high of damage by equipping the set only and light attack.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
    Options
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

Like sloads or sheild breaker?
    Options
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes

I stated my opinions about those and equal sets:
    FŪCK ALL OF THEM AND BÏTCHSLAP THE USERS
    Options
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I stated my opinions about those and equal sets:
    FŪCK ALL OF THEM AND BÏTCHSLAP THE USERS

Can't bslap them when you are already dead from cheese. 8) I expect new cancer builds emerge from the sets.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe, but I found zaan to be strong and decided to rebuild. If a build using a set is so common with you dying all the time, then your build is useless against that build.

It's like trying to stack resists and pretend you're going to be a tank against a bleed build and kinda ludicrous to believe it should.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please nerf it
    Yes it is.
    A set that can kill a player on its own needs to have very very easy counterplay.
    Zaan doesn't have that, the wearer can easily stay in a 10m range of it's pretty and force them to take absurd amounts of damage.

A long cooldown doesn't justify a set that makes you win so many fights or apply ∅5k pressure over 5 seconds. Most ults are not able to do that while having more drawbacks, cost something and have easier counterplay

In battle grounds I got hit by a 15k zaan now monster sets should there to give you an edge, a step up , life save, not to do the whole job for you

You got hit for 15k damage over 5 seconds? Wow thats almost like 3k dps total!!!

I'm new to battle grounds and with no CP I only have 19k health which means 79% of the damage I was hit with cam from a monster set

It's not the damage that's the problem so much as I know it's a build up over time the problem is that that build up is allowed to happen cos the so called orange beam is not appearing on screen so I can't see my self recieving damage so you feel that you can handle the small damage you can see until it's too late your dead ... Zaans is called a cancer set not cos it's OP as such but because it's the invisible killer

I agree with this. Most of the time I die to Zaan it's because I never saw it. I don't have this problem with Soul Assault. The beam needs to be bigger and brighter and noisier.

Edited by Emma_Overload on May 24, 2018 8:27AM
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
    Options
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes

Maybe, but I found zaan to be strong and decided to rebuild. If a build using a set is so common with you dying all the time, then your build is useless against that build.

It's like trying to stack resists and pretend you're going to be a tank against a bleed build and kinda ludicrous to believe it should.

That's still stupid because sets shouldn't remove whole playstyles.
    Shieldbreaker shouldn't destroy playing with shields
    Sloads shouldn't break cloak
    Earthgore/ Trollking shouldn't save people from dying on their own
    And Skoria and Zaan shouldn't remove dodge builds even further

It's stupid that you have to change your whole playstyle just to stand a chance to survive a Zaan user which is still a tough thing to do if you don't have access to cloak
    Options
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please nerf it
    Daus wrote: »
    dxyRIYx.jpg

Pretty sure I blocked it. Didn't matter though, since Zaan completely dominated me for him. You know, by doing more than 3k more damage than his other 4 attacks put together. But when you're a snared Magicka Warden, good luck getting away from that set.

I guess I'm supposed to cram both a rabbit's foot and a horseshoe up my backside, and hope the first cast of my netch removes Zaan and not something else.
    Edited by wheem_ESO on May 24, 2018 10:36AM
    Options
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its fine
    Daus wrote: »
    dxyRIYx.jpg

Pretty sure I blocked it. Didn't matter though, since Zaan completely dominated me for him. You know, by doing more than 3k more damage than his other 4 attacks put together. But when you're a snared Magicka Warden, good luck getting away from that set.

I guess I'm supposed to cram both a rabbit's foot and a horseshoe up my backside, and hope the first cast of my netch removes Zaan and not something else.

Why don’t you just kite him after using your beetles stun?

Oh wait....

I’m so sorry.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

Options
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please Buff it
    I voted for a buff. Because why not? It's fun seeing a world in ruin (DK pun intended). There is so much excellent cheese in the game that the one from Scalecaller Peak doesn't matter.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
    Options
  • Oxalias
    Oxalias
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Nobody wrote: »
    Dodge roll and sprinting for 1 second counters it. Blocking counters it. The above mentioned Purge/Cloak counter it. Streak counters it. Basically if you are not afk - you will counter it.

OP? Depends. If a CP196 Stam NB jumped on me and randomly died to a Zaan proc in 1 second - may look OP, not like he would have not died after an additional second without Zaan playing its part.

Sprint and dodge don't counter it or are you unable to walk when using Zaan? Right you are not.
    Purge doesn't work fast enough and isn't reliable.
    Blocking Zaan still deals absurd amounts of damage while it drains stamina 5 seconds of block with maximum cost reduction costs 8000 stamina on an build with no cost reduction you are looking at 32000 stamina while you are still taking lots of damage.

The only viable counters are cloak and streak meaning 3 classes get rekt by a set unless the user isn't fully ***.

Malubeth. The beam cancels the dmg (12k with 3 ticks each of zaan versus 6k heal reduced by battlespirit but after the major vitality).

Then you force to player to start around and take damage from malubeth or run away and break their zaan.

Excuse me, but what the hell are you talking about, malubeth has a 7% chance to procc, you are acting like that when zaans is proccing, malubeth happens to always be there to "Hard counter it" lul. As a potato tank that uses malubeth, zaans is still broken. You can't try to change that. Once again the devs had pve in mind while creating this set, and the result was a disastrous effect to pvp. I've asked other players they have said "build speed' but that just means that everyone is whipping around trying not to get zaan'd. And a funny conjunction now is that even if you are fast enough to get out of zaans, sloads, isn't going to be outrun.

My solution: Turn that range on zaans to 2 metre or less, make it so minimal that only magic dk's or anything build making use of encase/cage for close combat high damage. That way, a simple roll dodge, will counter it.

OR: Make zaans do more damage the closer you are to them, in a reduced range once again. Make the players using it work for that damage.
    Options
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should halve the damage and make it Oblivion damage so it doesn't work with elf's bane anymore...

:trollface:
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    Options
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    They should halve the damage and make it Oblivion damage so it doesn't work with elf's bane anymore...

:trollface:

LOL Yes!
    Options
  • Nemeliom
    Nemeliom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its fine
    I was killed by it only once. Combined with sload and CC it may hit hard. But otherwise it's no use.
    Baradur Morker - Level 50 Bosmer Nightblade
    Le-Duck - Level 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Boom-Stormer - Level 50 High Elf Sorcerer
    Nemeliom the Great - Level 50 Redguard Warden
    Crazy Little Maggie - Level 50 High Elf Templar
    Options
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    When you calculate it's possible tooltip with the right builds it's WAY over the top in damage, particularly for a proc.
    Options