Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Are goblins mostly nasty and evil?

Jayman1000
Jayman1000
✭✭✭✭✭
Do they mostly do evil deeds? Im trying to figure out if they should remain as slaves, be freed or if genocide is best. Someone please help, thank you.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goblins are neither evil or nice. They're creatures with limited intelligence, living as they know how.

I always choose to free them because anyone trying to enslave them is the true evil.

• Harrdarrzarr
    Harrdarrzarr
    ✭✭✭
    goblin dude in Auridon public dungeon was alright:)
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Goblins, Argonians, Khajiit... slavery gives them purpose and a glimpse of civilization.

Otherwise, termination is a mercy to their sorry existence.
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A book I read said that they have animal level intelligence. Not sure if book had any scientific investigation behind it though...
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kanar wrote: »
    A book I read said that they have animal level intelligence. Not sure if book had any scientific investigation behind it though...
    Was that book written by an Altmer perchance? Goblins talk, reason, use tools, form tribal structures, raise and train animals, have religion... They may be primitive in our eyes, but they aren't mindless.

Besides, remember what they used to say about Orcs before they became a playable race.
    Edited by Rosveen on April 17, 2018 1:19PM
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    Goblins are neither evil or nice. They're creatures with limited intelligence, living as they know how.

I always choose to free them because anyone trying to enslave them is the true evil.

But what if "living as they know" involves murdering any non-goblin they come across? Preying on civilians just passing by, just because this is the only way they know, and can ever know? In that case I think genocide is probably best, even if they are not at fault for their own defunct genes.

I can't figure out though if this is the case. Do they keep to themselves and do not attack innocent civilians? Or do they prey on innocents, eat them etc?
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Was that book written by an Altmer perchance? Goblins talk, reason, use tools, form tribal structures, raise and train animals, have religion... They may be primitive in our eyes, but they aren't mindless.

Besides, remember what they used to say about Orcs before they became a playable race.

I think Orcs have been proven to be at least as sentient, self conscious and intelligent as other high level races, so I don't think the comparison to Goblins hold true; goblins are markedly less intelligent. Do they even really know what they are doing?

But do they attack innocents and civilians that merely pass by their territory, possibly eating them because they hungry?
    Edited by Jayman1000 on April 17, 2018 3:26PM
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

we are all animals...
  • Irylia
    Irylia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa dude. Stop talking about my brethren that way!

/me
    Just you damn elves wait! One day the goblins of cracked wood will rise up and tear down your walls, burn your villages and enslave your people.
    I shall be the one to unite all tribes across cyrodiil into this frenzy and we will be victorious!!
    Yabba yabba
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭

we are all animals...

But we don't all have animal level intelligence. Some of us veyr smart and tellgents u know.
  • Gothrock
    Gothrock
    ✭✭✭
    Jayman1000 wrote: »

But do they attack innocents and civilians that merely pass by their territory, possibly eating them because they hungry?

Do you think goblin would stay alive while passing by Stormheaven, Mournhold, Sentinel etc? Are humans and elves nasty and evil?
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irylia wrote: »
    Whoa dude. Stop talking about my brethren that way!

/me
    Just you damn elves wait! One day the goblins of cracked wood will rise up and tear down your walls, burn your villages and enslave your people.
    I shall be the one to unite all tribes across cyrodiil into this frenzy and we will be victorious!!
    Yabba yabba

Goblin Supremacy :#
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gothrock wrote: »

Do you think goblin would stay alive while passing by Stormheaven, Mournhold, Sentinel etc? Are humans and elves nasty and evil?

All humans and elves are defintely not nasty and evil. Question is if goblins are. A commenter here said Goblins are neither evil or nice. They're creatures with limited intelligence, living as they know how. But if that way of living is basically murdering, *** and eating any random creatures that happens by..... then there is no hope for them and I say genocide is best or perhaps confine them to zoos where we treat them nice. But this is yet undetermined, this is question for which I seek knowledge and truth.
    Edited by Jayman1000 on April 17, 2018 3:33PM
  • Mozsta69
    Mozsta69
    ✭✭✭
    They should be a playable race with their own passives and maybe a skill line lol
    Free the goblins !

Its hard to say who is evil and good in tamriel.
    High elves are pretty domineering and at times trying to conquer all of tamriel , like most human races namely the Imperials or even Nords.
    My beloved Dunmer love their enslavement of argonians
    Orcs like ye old pillage the village now and then as well
    Goblins are just another one of the bunch really!!!
    I freakin love this world....someone make some comics, graphic novels and novels for god sake in dying here.
    Edited by Mozsta69 on April 17, 2018 3:37PM
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Goblins are only good for punting.
  • Gothrock
    Gothrock
    ✭✭✭

All humans and elves are defintely not nasty and evil. Question is if goblins are. A commenter here said Goblins are neither evil or nice. They're creatures with limited intelligence, living as they know how. But if that way of living is basically murdering, *** and eating any random creatures that happens by..... then there is no hope for them and I say genocide is best or perhaps confine them to zoos where we treat them nice. But this is yet undetermined, this is question for which I seek knowledge and truth.

Okey, but why dont you want to genocide wolves? Bears? Senches? All of them eat random creatures that pass by their territory. Are those animals evil? They kill because they are predators and thats how they live.
    I personally think that hunters, who kill only for pleasure, are evil. Genocide them.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ...genocide is best. Someone please help, thank you.

Meet me in Cyrodiil,
    we can run through the quest to poison the goblin endangering the town
    it is a Delight to off the vermin
    :trollface:

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're evil little pests. If they can't be put to good use, they should be put out of our misery.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Okey, but why dont you want to genocide wolves? Bears? Senches? All of them eat random creatures that pass by their territory. Are those animals evil? They kill because they are predators and thats how they live.
    I personally think that hunters, who kill only for pleasure, are evil. Genocide them.

If those hunters are attacking innocent sentient beings, then yes; was that what you meant?

Wolves and bears are not sufficiently intelligent to offer any threath to intelligent races and thus can be almost entirely controlled. Genocide not required. Not so with goblins which, while lesser intelligent, are still intelligent enough to offer serious resistance. The only way to properly and securely control them then is to enslave them entirely or confine them to zoos. Or genocide. But if Goblins on the other hand are intelligent enough to understand that it is bad to attack innocents, then there is hope for them. This is as yet undetermined I think and is what I seek more knowledge into.

Edited by Jayman1000 on April 17, 2018 3:59PM
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. They are ugly. Ugly things are always evil and should be eliminated.
  • Sting864
    Sting864
    ✭✭✭✭

Orcs?? Orcs?? You had to bring those nerds into this?? Goblins and orcs, while they DO live in tribes, are a lot like "rushins..." (NOT Russians....) they only care about what's best for THEMSELVES, what THEY can get out of a group... They'll leave you behind; AND FOR WHAT?? Something shiny... Byz is useful; however, he's an excellent sweeper....
  • Sting864
    Sting864
    ✭✭✭✭
    I learned this from a sermon by Bob Mckenzie, holyman of the Great White North:
    TO PARAPHRASE:

DON'T KILL GOBLINS

Sure they may be pests... Sure they're kinda yukky, and they eat gross things....
    But sooner or later, no matter how good you are...
    Someone'll think YOU'RE a goblin and then... you're gone...
    So DON'T KILL GOBLINS!!

The preceding was brought to you by the Church of the Great White North, The NAAG (National Association for the Advancement of Goblins) and Swiffer Brooms....

GOOD DAY
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually thinking about it I take back my statement. I like gobbies.

The Fungal Grotto 1 goblins in there actually legit try and help you. They tank mobs/bosses. Have range DPS, and try to hold their own. Every time im in there I try to keep as many of them alive as well.

Almost all the other NPC's are meh. A good example is the Spindleclutch guys just kinda wait for YOU to clear the mobs rather than assist. Then take the credit for it too.

So go gobbies buddies, much more reliable than those other races.
  • AjiBuster499
    AjiBuster499
    ✭✭✭
    The issue here may be that goblins don't follow the societal values of the other races. They don't ally with other races that much and mostly stick to themselves and live by their own values. As such, trying to say if goblins are "nasty and evil" cannot really work since that involves judging the lifestyle of goblins using non-goblin standards. Its like trying to say Dreugh are evil for not dropping wax capturing people and covering them in piles of mud. But how else will they eat? They do that with all their food from my understanding so why should the "sentient" races be treated differently? Its just going into the stomach anyways.
    tfw your sig gets wound back in time.
    Pterenophobia is the fear of being tickled by feathers.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But what if "living as they know" involves murdering any non-goblin they come across?
    You mean like wild animals? Care to genocide them off the planet, too?

I think I just found my next enemy. >:)

• Madhojo
    Madhojo
    ✭✭✭
    GOBOL BOBL BOBLBLOL!!!!!

GOBLIN LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHERE IS THE GOBLIN PET ZOS????? WHERE IS THE GOBLIN PET???????????????

GOBOL BOBL BOBLB!!!!!!!

(No but seriously I need a goblin pet to happen so long as they speak in their native tongue! They crack me up every single time!)
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »
    The Fungal Grotto 1 goblins in there actually legit try and help you. They tank mobs/bosses. Have range DPS, and try to hold their own. Every time im in there I try to keep as many of them alive as well.

Is that the one where you have to cut off the head of their war chief and mount it on a spike to show you have taken over
    then they help fight against the the dreugh?

We need a thread on dreugh rights -- we kill them and use their wax to make our clothes more shiny
    but they are so...huggable
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Sting864
    Sting864
    ✭✭✭✭
    You stick-up for goblin life.... yet you want to OWN one as a pet???

With that outlook, you're no better than a slaver....
  • Madhojo
    Madhojo
    ✭✭✭
    Sting864 wrote: »
    You stick-up for goblin life.... yet you want to OWN one as a pet???

With that outlook, you're no better than a slaver....

I mean.......... um..........

Where is my Goblin friend?