Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PTS Update 18 - Feedback Thread for Sorcerer Balance

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for the Sorcerer combat balance and ability changes. After you have a chance to try out different combat scenarios, let us know what you think of the current balance.
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just by going through the patch notes I’m 1) grateful there are no further nerfs and 2) disappointed that the class still will be the same play style that it has been for the last few years.

I really had wished for an overhaul. It’s a missed opportunity.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Chakei
    Chakei
    ✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    Just by going through the patch notes I’m 1) grateful there are no further nerfs and 2) disappointed that the class still will be the same play style that it has been for the last few years.

What, specifically, were you looking for? Honest question, no snark/salt intended :smiley:
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark Magic
    Blood Magic: Increased the healing done when this passive ability procs to 5/10% of your Max Health from 4/8%.
    Daedric Mines: Decreased the cost of this ability and its morphs to 5400 Magicka from 6480 Magicka.
    Negate Magic: Increased the duration of this ability and its morphs to 12 seconds from 10 seconds.

Persistence: This passive now reduces the cost of your next Magicka or Stamina ability used within 4 seconds by 7/15% after you block an attack.
    Rune Cage (Rune Prison morph): This morph now deals its damage when the stun ends (i.e.: if it is broken early or if the ability ends naturally), instead of when the stun completes.
    Rune Prison: Increased the duration of the stun applied by this ability and its morphs to 5 seconds from 2.5 seconds.
    Daedric Summoning
    Bound Armor: This ability and its morphs are no longer toggle abilities. Slotting Bound Armor will continue to grant you an increase to Max Magicka, and activating these abilities will increase the amount of damage you can block by 20% for 3 seconds.
    Bound Aegis (Bound Armor morph): This morph now grants Minor Ward and Minor Resolve while it is slotted.
    Bound Armaments (Bound Armor morph): This morph converts the ability into a Stamina ability and now increases your damage done with Light Attacks while slotted, instead of Heavy Attacks.
    Conjured Ward: Increased the strength of the damage shield summoned by this ability and its morphs by approximately 10%.
    Hardened Ward (Conjured Ward morph): Decreased this morph’s bonus to your own damage shield to 20% from 30%.

Summon Storm Atronach: Increased the health of the Atronach summoned by this ability and the Charged Atronach morph by approximately 70%.
    Summon Unstable Familiar: The pet summoned from this ability now has a basic area of effect special ability that can be used while the pet is active.
    Summon Winged Twilight: The pet summoned from this ability now has a basic heal special ability that can be used while the pet is active.
    Storm Calling
    Lightning Flood (Lightning Splash morph): This morph now also increases the damage done by approximately 15%.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chakei wrote: »
    Feanor wrote: »

What, specifically, were you looking for? Honest question, no snark/salt intended :smiley:

1) The possibility to get away from the Destro/Resto shoehorn. It will be less bad with the new 2H counting as 2 pieces, but it still is such a boring thing if you did play like that for 4 years now. A low cost low damage class spammable would have been nice.

2) A strong direct damage class ultimate that can replace Meteor (will be weaker next patch and is generally not that great due to the Telegraph) or Dawnbreaker (which isn’t magic or elemental damage but physical).

3) A shift away from the highly telegraphed delayed burst to a more responsive and versatile front loaded burst.

4) Updates on the class passives. 7 out of 12 are highly situational or flat out not very good.

5) Having pets use just one bad slot each on one bar.

6) Get rid of stacking Harness and Hardened and add a non pet burst heal.

7) Un-nerf Streak and give Sorc mobility back with a class means to reduce snares.

That would have been my wishes. All we get is a buff Rune Cage didn’t need while everything else stays as is. I’m not rejoicing.
    Edited by Feanor on April 16, 2018 8:03PM
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for pvp, nothing changes and since I am always more interested in pvp, I'm a bit dissapointed. But I already knew this after we saw the testers comments.

As for pve, a bit more flexibility thanks to the bound armor change is welcome.
    However if buffs for the other classes wouldn't be so down to earth, I'd be very upset about the lack of meaningful Sorc changes.

Anyway, we must speak about Overload and I will instantly test this as soon as I can. Overload ganking could become too strong with the new empower buff and what if the Psijic Skill, Imbue Weapons, works with Overload ? I dread to think of the gank potential.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Good changes to the mini-me base version of summons... about time those did something :) The familiar? Meh... he'll be morphed in a level or 2. But the Twilight's base heal will be nice since it tends to be around longer before morphed.
  • Chakei
    Chakei
    ✭✭✭
    The majority of sorc players that I've spoken to (myself included) are definitely looking at Overload. And as I've said everywhere else, I DESPISE the empower change. Absolutely hate it.
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shieldstacking sorcs is way to powerfull and with the changes to empower and light attacks, overload will be so op its a joke. i hope you follow this up closely in the pts.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really hope they havent overlooked the empower+overload light atks mechanic, +40% dmg would be pretty broken.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Overload can't count as light attacks anymore with the current changes... *sigh* else cyrodiil will be a mess
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • AmericanSpy
    AmericanSpy
    ✭✭✭
    With the change to bound armaments(which I'm ok with) I would have liked to see additional changes to allow for another stamina based morph. The only damaging ability available to Stam DPS is hurricane. This severely limits skill selection to weapon abilites. Stam sorcs could use a single target DPS skill(wether dot or direct damage).

This is compounded by the fact that most Magicka abilites have no use on a Stam built. This differs from other classes such as stam DK which can use volatile armor, obsidian shields, green drgaon blood.

With some builds potentially eliminating the use of bound armaments this will make Stam sorcs into a lackluster weapon skills only playstyle only being chosen based on passives compared to other classes.
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overload should absolutely not benefit from the buff to light attacks. It might need to be reclassified or nerfed but better that than 100+ nerf sorc threads popping up when Overload hits ppl for obscene amounts
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • jeskah
    jeskah
    ✭✭✭
    Quick test: empower do not empower overload.
    The bound armaments 11% looks like does.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. They could always swap the damage between the O/L light attack and the heavy. Leaving the light attacks hitting (max) for very little even empowered, and the heavy attacks light people up at close range. That would make the ultimate actually worthwhile with the dodge changes.

2. We will continue to ask for a crystal frags fix. You have Wardens now getting major breach instead of a stun. Frags should apply breach, defile, or something. We have a 7K crystal fragments attack, attached to a proc that doesn’t go off 66% of the time. It’s ridiculous. It’s our ONE class attack. FIX the crystal frags morph already.

It’s insulting to use crystal frags when we see EVERY other class attack skill doing MUCH more.

4. Streak is still too expensive and bad for how much it costs. Either reduce the cost increase stacking slightly by 10-15%, or consider adding a snare break to every cast. Then it might be worth the expense.

It’s insulting that DK’s can snare break and nightblades can cloak, while we can streak a couple of times, stay snared, and the last streak just cost us over 15K Magicka..
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jeskah wrote: »

Goodbye Overload gankers :) A bit sad, that overload remains rather useless offensive wise, but also glad that no nerfs will be needed.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since the devs like charts and graphs, how about this one?
    (Credit to Reddington James for this!)
    eso.png

See anything wrong with this chart? Look at the Sorc buffs and debuffs we have access to. Think we can please add a little something to crystal fragments procs?

It’s our ONE offensive ability that isn’t on a purgable timer, it has a 66% chance to not proc, and it typically hits for about 7K.

Please add a buff or debuff effect to crystal fragments morph: Maim. Breach. Defile. Force. Vulnerability. Berserk. Pick one, we’ll be overjoyed with any minor buff or debuff at this point.
    Edited by Minalan on April 16, 2018 9:48PM
  • jeskah
    jeskah
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, i dont really see the increased light attack damage. Maybe because of im tired and its late as hell. We will see numbers tomorrow.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Goody. Another oblivion proc set.

Somebody will twin it with shieldbreaker, guaranteed.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »
    eso.png

See anything wrong with this chart? Look at the Sorc buffs and debuffs we have access to. Think we can please add a little something to crystal fragments procs?

It’s our ONE offensive ability that isn’t on a purgable timer, it has a 66% chance to not proc, and it typically hits for about 7K.

Please add a buff or debuff effect to crystal fragments morph: Maim. Breach. Defile. Force. Vulnerability. Berserk. Pick one, we’ll be overjoyed with any minor buff or debuff at this point.

People will say Sorcerers make up with their high bursty skills but look at the latest changes to Crystal Frags (removed stun and 10% damage nerf) and the empower nerf.
    Edited by Ankael07 on April 16, 2018 10:45PM
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »

Goodbye Overload gankers :) A bit sad, that overload remains rather useless offensive wise, but also glad that no nerfs will be needed.

Not sure what's going on. so on PTS my overload light attack reads 17k when I mouse over it...then I cast mage light and it jumps to 22k. I would say its affected by empower....
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I trade the magicka morph of Bound Armor (very minor resistance bonuses that I don't care about because I use shields) for the stamina version (increasing light attack damage, which is also already getting buffed)?

These two morphs aren't in the same ballpark.

I still think removing the stun and the damage from Crystal Frags tore the soul out of this class.

I am not at all convinced - not at all - that defending against a high damage skill that can cc me BUT also can be reflected, dodged, blocked, easily seen, etc., is somehow mire difficult, more daunting, more worrisome than dealing with a 28 meter undefendable and unpreventable stun - which now also does damage - whenever the sorcerer wants.

It's just dumbed down gameplay. Sorcerer presses a button and I'm stunned.

Revert, revert, revert.

Edit: to be clear, revert Crystal Frags :smiley:
    Edited by Joy_Division on April 17, 2018 12:22AM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorc tanks look like sustain gods, but somebody tell me how clanfear is of use. I would just like to understand.
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    running just 5pc elegance I am critting mobs for 46k. that's in green gear and random other pieces. I cant use imbued weps either since summerset is broken atm for some of us.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ankael07 wrote: »
    Minalan wrote: »
    eso.png

People will say Sorcerers make up with their high bursty skills but look at the latest changes to Crystal Frags (removed stun and 10% damage nerf) and the empower nerf.

We don’t have anything now offensively that a magplar can’t do even better than we can - admittedly somewhat clunkier and more awkward.

Kindly add a short buff or debuff to a proc’ed crystal frags, thanks!
    Edited by Minalan on April 16, 2018 10:53PM
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what's going on. so on PTS my overload light attack reads 17k when I mouse over it...then I cast mage light and it jumps to 22k. I would say its affected by empower....

As long as I can't access the pts, believing this person is all I can hope. Sad, that few here are trustworthy.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It buffs by 20%... not 40%. Not sure if bug that it doesn't do 40%, or a bug that it still does 20%... or if it was supposed to stay at the same level.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can I trade the magicka morph of Bound Armor (very minor resistance bonuses that I don't care about because I use shields) for the stamina version (increasing light attack damage, which is also already getting buffed)?

These two morphs aren't in the same ballpark.

I still think removing the stun and the damage from Crystal Frags tore the soul out of this class.

I am not at all convinced - not at all - that defending against a high damage skill that can cc me BUT also can be reflected, dodged, blocked, easily seen, etc., is somehow mire difficult, more daunting, more worrisome than dealing with a 28 meter undefendable and unpreventable stun - which now also does damage - whenever the sorcerer wants.

It's just dumbed down gameplay. Sorcerer presses a button and I'm stunned.

Revert, revert, revert.

Now it’s press two or three buttons and you’re dead, unavoidable.

Apparently empower does work on overload. And I can curse, cage, and overload you before you can purge it.
  • HoloYoitsu
    HoloYoitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Guys, I don't know how many of you have gotten on PTS yet, but the old "Invalid Location" Bolt Escape bug is back.

Haven't uploaded the video of it yet, but it's exactly the same as the old Invalid Location bug back from Thieves Guild PTS, which you can see here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvVOFw2u7pk
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The burst heal from Blood Magic passive is fairly useless. A small numerical buff won't help.
    I would suggest turning this into a much needed class HoT, to help mitigate the shieldstack meta and its counters.
  • Furcula
    Furcula
    ✭✭✭
    Overall, there won't be much changes to pet or non pet sorc in PvE. Both will get a slight damage buff due to the light attack and heavy attack damage increase changes. Only difference in bar setup now is that it will allow non pet sorcs to slot trap/new psjic skill for minor force without losing the aegis buffs.