Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Working with ivory (in Summerset)

• Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Willard wrote: »
    I think my Argonian has Ivory Spikes--They better go hide:)
    LOL. My Argonian has horns, too. They'd make more than just a handbag out of him.

That could be convenient for PVP players. Harvest crafting materials from the corpses of your enemies.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do find it odd that Molag Bal *** a girl gets 0 threads but ivory and racism pop up
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • slicksteezin
    slicksteezin
    ✭✭✭✭
    First-world issues, ladies and gentlemen...
  • Sting864
    Sting864
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi!

First of all, if this discussion should rather go into another message board here, please move it there.

Secondly, I recently watched the housing preview video for Summerset (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8lJg97mgBs) and around the 18:00 minute mark, the devs talk about a new system to craft furniture from ivroy, which you collect from any animal with horns or tusks.

is it just me, or is this in extremely bad taste, considering the huge problem with poachers in the real world?

I know Tamriel's wildlife is not suffering from any endangerment even remotely as bad as our world, but working with ivory still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Maybe it is just me though. What are your thoughts?

And if the devs leave that in the game... can we get a seal baby smacking mini-game, too? You know, just for the heck of it. ;-)

Lighten up, Francis... It's a game.... A lot of things are racist sexist whatever.... In case you werent aware... Tamriel isn't real, either....
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm vegan but don't care about pixel ivory funnily enough. I think this falls under the 'overly offended' banner. *Mutters something about snowflakes...*
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »
    Please don't bring this hippie crap into games. Thanks.

Only if you keep your ignorant crap out of games. Thanks.
    PC-NA Goat
  • Geistertanz
    Geistertanz
    ✭✭
    Tabbycat wrote: »
    Willard wrote: »
    I think my Argonian has Ivory Spikes--They better go hide:)
    LOL. My Argonian has horns, too. They'd make more than just a handbag out of him.

That could be convenient for PVP players. Harvest crafting materials from the corpses of your enemies.

Don't want to work with animal ivory? Turn the poacher into a nice jewelry box instead. I could get behind that. xD
  • Geekgirl
    Geekgirl
    ✭✭✭
    Part of me thinks it’s silly to get worked up over this in a game setting.
    Part of me thinks they should change “ivory” to “bone.”

Same thing; less negativity.
    PC/NA - Perpetually casual. Furniture and fish collector. Lover of exploration and opener of urns.
    Maxed CPs, still no clue how to endgame, too much time opening urns, prolly.
    Eve Morrison - Templar DPS - Furniture Crafter/Maker of Arms - Co-op w/hubby/achievements/crafting
    Jilly Narraway - MagDK DPS - Delves/Dungeons/Dolmans - She murders ALL THE THINGS!
    Fynn the Lucky - Warden Tank -- Seer of things/Explorer of places - RP/Solo/Storyline/Completionist
    Siluna Southpaw - StamDK DPS slippery-fingered type/Murder hobo - RP/Solo/Storyline
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We live in an era where people are falling over themselves be offended. Its utterly ridiculous, where its being offended for giving someone who is clearly male or female the wrong pronoun, being offended because they drink milk in their coffee instead of soya, being offended because they trained their pet to do a trick.. Its truly ridiculous.

Being offended about the in-game furnishing items not being sensitive to poachers or whatever is utterly laughable and not worth discussion. Do you really want to create a situation where people are scared to talk openly, or implement cool designs because its at risk of offending someone? I really do wonder why people who get offended over these things bother getting up in the morning, unless it is just one giant ego trip about being the one to extract that apology?

Idiotic train of thought. Stop looking to be offended.
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Geistertanz
    Geistertanz
    ✭✭
    When I saw them crafting from Ivory I really felt an urge to go out and hunt me a big elephant to craft my own pretty statue.
    Anyone wanna join me? We can get more Ivory if we team up.

I'm done with killing people everytime I go outside just to get some milk. Since killing is all I know from playing ESO.
    It will be a nice break to finally sit down and do some fine crafting for once.

As weird as it sounds, your reply actually makes a good point. We don't go round killing folks for milk, because murder (and *** as someone else replied in regards to Molag Bal) naturally register as crimes to us and we don't need devs to take special actions to make us understand that these are evil actions in the real world.

I would argue that this should also apply to slavery, but as it is 2018... ohwell.

As long as we are normal, functional human beings we already know that.

With issues like poaching/whaling it is a bit different. A lot of people don't see these as crimes or are not confronted with it in a way that they have to think about it.

Rockstar Games - of all people - did a nice spin on that with the Big Foot quest in Red Dead Redemption. And Bethesda did good with whaling in the Dishonored games.

So the best way - in my opinion - would be to leave it in the game but give it context. Maybe dailies that force you to kill a lone, (initially) friendly mammoth. A bit on the nose, but - again - it is 2018.
    greylox wrote: »
    I'm vegan but don't care about pixel ivory funnily enough. I think this falls under the 'overly offended' banner. *Mutters something about snowflakes...*

Rather a snowflake on your nose than a hailstone in your buttcrack, as my grandmother used to say. ;-D And you did have to add that you are vegan, right? ;-)
    Edited by Geistertanz on April 26, 2018 9:53AM
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I don't think horkers and mammoths are endangered.

What about all the leather? Should we avoid crafting medium armor?
    And the bone? Should we avoid crafting things in Bosmer style?

Or maybe just ban the Bosmer completely, after all.
  • Geistertanz
    Geistertanz
    ✭✭
    Geekgirl wrote: »
    Part of me thinks it’s silly to get worked up over this in a game setting.
    Part of me thinks they should change “ivory” to “bone.”

Same thing; less negativity.

Good solution! Maybe "delicate/intricate/precious bone", since bone is already taken as a style material.
    Edited by Geistertanz on April 26, 2018 10:19AM
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Ivory is not something I would like to see in game.
  • Numerikuu
    Numerikuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    picard-facepalm.jpg
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony .
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We live in an era where people are falling over themselves be offended. Its utterly ridiculous, where its being offended for giving someone who is clearly male or female the wrong pronoun, being offended because they drink milk in their coffee instead of soya, being offended because they trained their pet to do a trick.. Its truly ridiculous.
    Soy in coffee is an abomination. Just wanted to mention that. :*
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest this one too was a little concerned when she saw ivory being used as a crafting material.

However in Tamriel, at this time, the ivory it is plentiful.

Were horkers and mammoths ever to decrease significantly in population though then his one would consider it to be an issue.

The very idea of a mammoth or horker being extinct though is unthinkable though yes! So many of those pink mammoths in The Rosy Lion that this one she practically trips over them all the time ...

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soy in coffee is an abomination. Just wanted to mention that. :*

It sure is.
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Working with ivory IRL is a problem precisely because those elephants don't respawn 2 minutes after they keel over, like ESO mobs, and as a result they became endangered over time.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Zinaroth
    Zinaroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giphy.gif
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What next :|
  • The_Protagonist
    The_Protagonist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I am a very bad poacher because I hunt millions of animals in Tamriel for their hide scraps.
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uhm, you know they're just pixels, not living animals, right...?
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The things I see brought up on the forums never cease to amaze me. I've spent weeks pick-pocketing and then murdering innocent civilians. I've killed thousands of creatures for their skins. You want to talk about bad taste, think about our poor mounts being ridden like slave animals, forced to sprint even when their stamina is completely depleted.

So crafting with ivory is where you draw the line?
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • Eirella
    Eirella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numerikuu wrote: »
    picard-facepalm.jpg

^
    (PC/NA) - | @Eirella - formerly @jinxgames | CP 1000+ | Mainly PvPer (EP) | Haxus
    /uninstalled
  • Sweetpea704
    Sweetpea704
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi!

First of all, if this discussion should rather go into another message board here, please move it there.

Secondly, I recently watched the housing preview video for Summerset (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8lJg97mgBs) and around the 18:00 minute mark, the devs talk about a new system to craft furniture from ivroy, which you collect from any animal with horns or tusks.

is it just me, or is this in extremely bad taste, considering the huge problem with poachers in the real world?

I know Tamriel's wildlife is not suffering from any endangerment even remotely as bad as our world, but working with ivory still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

And if the devs leave that in the game... can we get a seal baby smacking mini-game, too? You know, just for the heck of it. ;-)

It's okay because these animals respawn in about 2 minutes. But, I find it interesting that this is what you choose to see as a problem when I spend many afternoons pickpocketing and "resetting" NPCs to get motifs. (One of the first things I do with a new toon is get the Blade of Woe.) Actually, the basic activity in this game is killing people and animals...so....maybe take up Candy Crush?
    Edited by Sweetpea704 on April 26, 2018 12:03PM
  • ascan7
    ascan7
    ✭✭✭
    Eh, meanwhile the last white rhino died.
    I get that it's just game and pixels, but maybe people should be more considerated.
    Talking about snowflakes, vegans and whatever you want category of easily-offended people don't matter very much.
    Talking about killing in game doesn't matter very much.
    Because we are experiencing heavy consequecens regarding poachers, not so much regarding other topics people brought there.
    Now i'm not asking to remove these quests and burn at stakes someone, of course. But i would have really liked to see a more considerate audience, instead it turned down to the classic, mean internet topic where everyone tries to be snarky.
    I hope that ZOS will introduce some enviroment-friendly quests one day or another.
  • Pangnirtung
    Pangnirtung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi!

So you have a problem with harvesting ivory from imaginary creatures but morally for you there is nothing wrong with killing people in game?

This is so silly.

I have been a vegetarian for over thirty years and my characters eat meat dishes in game. How is this related to to real life?
  • SergeantJinx
    SergeantJinx
    ✭✭✭
    I think your thinking to deeply into this. Seriously it just a game.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ssorgatem wrote: »
    Well, I don't think horkers and mammoths are endangered.

What about all the leather? Should we avoid crafting medium armor?
    And the bone? Should we avoid crafting things in Bosmer style?

Or maybe just ban the Bosmer completely, after all.
    This, note that Bosmer get offended if you eat plants.
    Look up your statistic and see how many you have killed, this is also offending.

Khajiits get offended then accused for stealing
    c5fb4b9d0e2690e7c8085b619f8c9161-d8kicdf.jpg
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.