The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does defensive posture proc weapon enchants?

Neoauspex
Neoauspex
✭✭✭✭✭
And/or poisons?

Best Answer

• Judas Helviaryn
    Judas Helviaryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The last I had tested this, defensive posture procced my own Nerien'eth on the original caster, which seems to imply ownership of the projectile is indeed transferred to the reflector.

A simple test would be reflecting a destro light attack with an active damage enchantment on your s/b bar, and watching for the proc.

EDIT for testing:
    Reflecting a scamp's fireball with a flame enchanted sword does not proc.
    Reflecting a player's light attack does proc your enchantment, not theirs.

Enchantreflect.png

In this instance, Eva used a shock enchanted flame staff, while I had a flame enchanted sword equipped with the shield. I did no weapon swapping, reflected three projectiles, and died to make sure the CM readout posted.
    Edited by Judas Helviaryn on April 5, 2018 7:37PM
    Answer ✓
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would assume not, you are in no way hitting the enemy with a weapon
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    But do enchants proc on hit or on skill use? However, I‘ve seen red Mountain proc from activating quick cloak without enemies nearby despite it‘s tooltip stating „deal damage“. We should test this.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know, so many questions. I need facts!
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typically, as far as I know, weapon enchantments proc when you use the weapon's attack or when you use a weapon ability, targeting an enemy. The proc should not depend on damage being done, just that an enemy is being affected by the skill, for example, if elemental blockade ticks on an enemy, it would proc an enchantment, but if you use elemental blockade in the middle of nowhere with no enemies around, no proc. Any ability that does not affect an enemy should not have even the chance of a weapon enchant proc. The same idea would apply to poisons. Set bonuses are... weird. Don't trust weapon and armor sets and jewelry sets to always apply the same logic, as their tooltips are not always, ehm... accurate.

So... if defensive posture targets an enemy, and does something to them, then yeah, it should proc weapon enchantments.

Disclaimer, this is only as far as I know. I could be wrong for certain skills or with whenever there's an update (I have not tested any of this since the most recent update).
    Edited by Marginis on April 5, 2018 7:06PM
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last I had tested this, defensive posture procced my own Nerien'eth on the original caster, which seems to imply ownership of the projectile is indeed transferred to the reflector.

A simple test would be reflecting a destro light attack with an active damage enchantment on your s/b bar, and watching for the proc.

Even when I swap to my sword and shield after casting elemental blockade, the blockade tick will proc my sword enchantment, so it applies the current enchant equipped, it's not tied to the original weapon enchantment when cast, so this makes sense. It's a matter of proccing an enchantment in the first place, and then if the the proc happens, it is based off whatever weapon enchantment is currently equipped.

What I would have to test to know is if you are dual wielding, does a weapon ability proc both enchantments, the main hand, or a random hand enchantment?

EDIT: Weapon abilities while dual wielding only proc main hand weapon enchantment now. Certain abilities can only proc certain enchantments, like debuffing effects on targets, but not buffing effects on self. Check here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/404782/wall-of-elements-and-enchantments#latest
    Edited by Marginis on April 5, 2018 7:19PM
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marginis wrote: »

Even when I swap to my sword and shield after casting elemental blockade, the blockade tick will proc my sword enchantment, so it applies the current enchant equipped, it's not tied to the original weapon enchantment when cast, so this makes sense. It's a matter of proccing an enchantment in the first place, and then if the the proc happens, it is based off whatever weapon enchantment is currently equipped.

What I would have to test to know is if you are dual wielding, does a weapon ability proc both enchantments, the main hand, or a random hand enchantment?

You're dual wield question has been answered elsewhere on the forums, and I believe if I remember correctly weapon skills only proc main hand enchant except for steel tornado which only procs off hand. Light/heavy attacks proc each hand alternately but I can't remember what rate, I don't think it's 50/50, pretty sure off hand procs less often.

Happy to test Defensive Posture with somebody this afternoon, after 3PST, Xbox.
  • Judas Helviaryn
    Judas Helviaryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Neoauspex wrote: »
    Marginis wrote: »

You're dual wield question has been answered elsewhere on the forums, and I believe if I remember correctly weapon skills only proc main hand enchant except for steel tornado which only procs off hand. Light/heavy attacks proc each hand alternately but I can't remember what rate, I don't think it's 50/50, pretty sure off hand procs less often.

Happy to test Defensive Posture with somebody this afternoon, after 3PST, Xbox.

Edited by Judas Helviaryn on April 5, 2018 7:51PM
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

EDIT for testing:

Enchantreflect.png

In this instance, Eva used a shock enchanted flame staff, while I had a flame enchanted sword equipped with the shield. I did no weapon swapping, reflected three projectiles, and died to make sure the CM readout posted.

Thanks for testing this, great info. I still would like to test which enchant procs after barswap with Defensive Posture.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neoauspex wrote: »

EDIT for testing:

Enchantreflect.png

Thanks for testing this, great info. I still would like to test which enchant procs after barswap with Defensive Posture.

I'd be most interested in seeing what enchantments proc with weapon hits and which proc with weapon abilities, and if it can be generalized, ie if weapon abilities can proc debuffs but not self buffs, or if every enchantment has to be tested with every ability individually.
    Edited by Marginis on April 5, 2018 9:46PM