Maintenance for the week of August 12:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – August 12

Using emotes while feared.

OneKhajiitCrimeWave
OneKhajiitCrimeWave
✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, most people are going to read the title and think i'm crazy, but please read and then make the decision.

I have recently been having major issues with Fang Lair, not with the dungeon design which i love but with a particular boss fight on vet. As someone who is mute i can't tell my team when i have that damned senche about to wreck me, and in most aspects of the game where mechanics cause issues i use the Yes emote to signal my team.

However, for some reason when that senche fears me this stops the emotes from working and by the time i can use them, i'm either senche food or wolf bomber victim.

PLEASE can ZOS make it possible to use emotes while feared, as it basically locks me (and any other like me) out of vet fang lair because teams don't want to run with a guaranteed death on that boss.

Now you may judge whether i'm crazy.
Dark Flare is the Beginning, Radiant is the End. Hail the Light Bringers!
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If your team can't see you runing away in terror, then they aren't going to see your character emoting yes
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
    Options
  • OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sixty5 wrote: »
    If your team can't see you runing away in terror, then they aren't going to see your character emoting yes

The chat box pops when i do, and there's intentionally a lot going on in that fight to make it harder to note the exact moment Skelly Senche goes rocket mode
    Options
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you not type a letter instead of emoting to trigger the chat box? A capital letter in /s will get people's attention easier that an entire emote, that's how people do it on PC
    Options
  • OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »
    Can you not type a letter instead of emoting to trigger the chat box? A capital letter in /s will get people's attention easier that an entire emote, that's how people do it on PC

Hmmm... i hadn't actually thought of that one. On console it's always been quick slotted emotes because they're faster. The keyboards aren't very responsive on console so typing is generally a LOT slower. Will attempt it though. :smile:
    Options
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell them to use tab to target senche. Its easy to see that glowing target jump across the room if you have it tab locked. But ideal is you just try to kill it before it can even pounce.
    Options
  • swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can set it so that Enter brings up the entry field, and then you tupe and a 2nd Enter posts it. so 3 quick presses if you have it right there. and i don't know if that's already the default setting so forgive me. but for me it feels faster than holding down the D-right.

still kind of a pain with a controller in your hand, i bet. i hope it's better than useless for you.
    Options
  • OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    swippy wrote: »
    you can set it so that Enter brings up the entry field, and then you tupe and a 2nd Enter posts it. so 3 quick presses if you have it right there. and i don't know if that's already the default setting so forgive me. but for me it feels faster than holding down the D-right.

still kind of a pain with a controller in your hand, i bet. i hope it's better than useless for you.

On xb there's a short but noticeable delay to bring the text box up which i think will mean the death of me. That's not on ZOS's end so i can't ask for that to be fixed/altered lol.

It's annoying because emotes have been perfect up to now to communicate this stuff to give about the same warning as you can on comms. With this though, that split second is death and it's the first time where i feel at a disadvantage through no fault of my own. If i could pop it the second i get feared, we get that done.

In an ideal world we get the senche down before it goes rocket mode but being able to call out if we don't at least gives a better chance to survive.
    Options
  • swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's strange. i'm on xbox also, and there's no perceptible delay even though the keyboard i'm using is wireless. i think the xbox is an S, the 2tb one. that's a bummer. sorry 'bout that.
    Options
  • OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    swippy wrote: »
    that's strange. i'm on xbox also, and there's no perceptible delay even though the keyboard i'm using is wireless. i think the xbox is an S, the 2tb one. that's a bummer. sorry 'bout that.

I'm just using a standard original xb1.... may be time for an upgrade :lol:
    Options
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read the title and thought great a PvP bug with NBs fear
    Options
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, most people are going to read the title and think i'm crazy, but please read and then make the decision.

I have recently been having major issues with Fang Lair, not with the dungeon design which i love but with a particular boss fight on vet. As someone who is mute i can't tell my team when i have that damned senche about to wreck me, and in most aspects of the game where mechanics cause issues i use the Yes emote to signal my team.

However, for some reason when that senche fears me this stops the emotes from working and by the time i can use them, i'm either senche food or wolf bomber victim.

PLEASE can ZOS make it possible to use emotes while feared, as it basically locks me (and any other like me) out of vet fang lair because teams don't want to run with a guaranteed death on that boss.

If you and your teammates are not also deaf you may want to consider using a mic in contact with the surface that your mouse is on, and using push-to-talk and tapping on the tabletop to indicate when you're in need of help, a synergy to free you, etc.

I simply can't imagine how emotes would ever help in any situation that requires speed.
    Options
  • Donari
    Donari
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tapping is an idea, or you could keep a small bell or a device that makes a distinctive sound when a button is pressed and verify with your group that they can hear it over game noise. Though you might not even have a mic handy given your usual lack of need for one.
    Options
  • OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    runagate wrote: »

If you and your teammates are not also deaf you may want to consider using a mic in contact with the surface that your mouse is on, and using push-to-talk and tapping on the tabletop to indicate when you're in need of help, a synergy to free you, etc.

I simply can't imagine how emotes would ever help in any situation that requires speed.

As a console player i don't use a mouse or have a surface to tap because I'm not near anything that would make sound.

The quick slot emotes are easier and faster than typing on console (maybe just my console), as i have explained, hence why i have simply asked to allow them to be used in that situation, like i can in 99.99% of the rest of the game to allow people to be made aware.

Additionally, your solution to my problem is a mic? :lol:
    Edited by OneKhajiitCrimeWave on March 27, 2018 11:04AM
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You shouldn't be able to do anything while feared. That's kinda the point behind feared.
    • If your teammates can look for the Yes emote, the flailing, head-in-hands running away should be a dead giveaway for them.
    • If you're on PC, you can simply XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx in chat to get the point across quickly.

We use the same approach for Pinion boss in WGT and Hist vision in RoM.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Not sure why would anyone emote Yes, but there are better ones, like /playdead.
    Options
  • OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You shouldn't be able to do anything while feared. That's kinda the point behind feared.
    • If your teammates can look for the Yes emote, the flailing, head-in-hands running away should be a dead giveaway for them.
    • If you're on PC, you can simply XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx in chat to get the point across quickly.

Ok, so for the 4th/5th time now we're talking console, not PC. The momentary delay to pop the chat box up = dead. I use Yes as it's the easiest quick emote on my wheel. I always have the same emotes in the same places as i use them to communicate easy answers to questions.

Secondly, the emote is the only way to communicate, unless ZOS can make it so while feared your mic mutes, you can't type etc. so that you're all on an even playing field with me.

Thirdly, when there's 3 exploding wolves, a rocket senche, a guar, a bear and poison spores everywhere, catching the split second the fear happens to get in a place to make the interrupt is not easy.

I'm not asking them to change dungeon design or anything like that. I am simply asking them to allow my main method of quick communication to be able to be used... it's the same as asking for the colour of AoE's to be customisable/changed for colour blind people.

You guys on comms can speak and make it clear, or have a text box with no delay on PC. I don't and my quickest method to relay information is currently locked out during that phase.
    Options
  • OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »

Not sure why would anyone emote Yes, but there are better ones, like /playdead.

/playdead doesn't function well in dungeons and the dead thing is what i'm actively trying to avoid :lol:
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so for the 4th/5th time now we're talking console, not PC. The momentary delay to pop the chat box up = dead. I use Yes as it's the easiest quick emote on my wheel. I always have the same emotes in the same places as i use them to communicate easy answers to questions.

Secondly, the emote is the only way to communicate, unless ZOS can make it so while feared your mic mutes, you can't type etc. so that you're all on an even playing field with me.

Thirdly, when there's 3 exploding wolves, a rocket senche, a guar, a bear and poison spores everywhere, catching the split second the fear happens to get in a place to make the interrupt is not easy.

I'm not asking them to change dungeon design or anything like that. I am simply asking them to allow my main method of quick communication to be able to be used... it's the same as asking for the colour of AoE's to be customisable/changed for colour blind people.

You guys on comms can speak and make it clear, or have a text box with no delay on PC. I don't and my quickest method to relay information is currently locked out during that phase.
    Perhaps indicate that you're on a specific platform in your OP, as opposed to getting upset when people offer suggestions to help you. Most people skim a thread.

The fear animation should be more than sufficient for your teammates. It's a very distinct animation, and everyone who's been in Fang Lair knows what follows.

If you stay close to your group, it should be painfully obvious to them when you suddenly go running some arbitrary direction what happens next. I cannot imagine an emote of any kind assisting in that regard.

Your teammates need to be more aware and the problem will be solved, as it's the dire wolves and the senche pounce that are the mechanics that make or break this fight.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most people skim a thread, and yet any point which mentions PC i have stated i am talking about console. Anyone skimming down should have seen it right? I mean, the word console is a very distinct word and anyone who's seen it knows it doesn't mean PC. :tongue:

Additionally you state that it's easy to see. I can tell you that it's not. If it's the tank then it is, because the pile of bosses stacked up shifts with the tank.

Most people realise it when they see the senche go rocket mode, which by then is too late if a wolf is aggro'd on you.

Most people using voice comms can alert team mates the second that the fear occurs so thay can then get a clear sight line for an interrupt. I lack that and that's why a quick slotted emote comes in to play. It's faster than typing on xbox and probably on PS4 too.

I simply want to ask why you are so adamant that this thing that absolutely has NO EFFECT on you yet basically makes things 100 times harder for me shouldn't be fixed? You can use emotes such as yes, no etc. through anything else, including a NB Fear if you so wanted to. It is only the fear from the senche you can't
    Options
  • swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    another thing that might be relevant, just because i don't know if it's set up the same on PC: we have under the Emotes menu a section called Quick Chat, and those are just common battle call-outs that can be triggered just like emotes. using it posts the word or phrase to the little chat window in the corner, as if you had typed it out.

(some people said that if the teammates can see an emote then they should already be able to tell if you're feared, which would be the case with most of the emotes that make your character model pose. this category, though, actually will show up on the screens of faraway group members as long as they're not in a loading screen. it pops right up in the text box.)

it's weird that this Fear acts differently than the others. that does sound like it's worth fixing (or working around, if there's already a good reason not to fix it.)

and btw @OneKhajiitCrimeWave i keep sticking my nose in on this because i sorta work around a much less difficult accessibility problem. because i'm a wee bit deaf and i like the way you communicate i was gonna say "we'd make a good team" except i can't keep up with your level of content ;)
    Options
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    runagate wrote: »

emotes on xbox bring up a chat bubble.. its not like pc

they are quick chat emotes from before they had text chat
    Edited by magictucktuck on March 27, 2018 10:14PM
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This and....use a macro for text but consider their settings and UI aren’t yours so is the issue the emote or the game design in general. So the above suggestion for quick chat....often used on consoles is possible on PC in the Gamepad UI so I think you can use it outside of the Gamepad UI too

You being a mute isn’t the issue....others have similar concerns about this game design and some mechanics.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on March 27, 2018 10:16PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
    Options
  • WakeYourGhost
    WakeYourGhost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried an alternative audio que?
    If you have a headset with a Mic, you can Snap your fingers, clap, use your phone to play a chime, or do something Similar.
    You explain it in text before you go in to it, and use the Audio Que. See if it works.

There are other possible options too..
    I mean, the Quick Text emotes should be usable through Fear and other conditions, I agree - But maybe this could help for the moment?
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a headset with a Mic, you can Snap your fingers, clap, use your phone to play a chime, or do something Similar.
    You explain it in text before you go in to it, and use the Audio Que. See if it works.

I mean, the Quick Text emotes should be usable through Fear and other conditions, I agree - But maybe this could help for the moment?

I think the problem isn’t them being able to inform others but that this mechanic prevents it in typical ingame methods.

While many groups do us voice chat software snapping and clapping isn’t going to help....other than get you booted from the group

bruh-face-meme-3.jpg
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the problem isn’t them being able to inform others but that this mechanic prevents it in typical ingame methods.

While many groups do us voice chat software snapping and clapping isn’t going to help....other than get you booted from the group

bruh-face-meme-3.jpg

How annoying would that be.....
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on March 27, 2018 11:44PM
    Options
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umm, mechanics...This shouldn't even be an issue:
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-fang-lair-veteran-dungeon-guide-dragon-bones-elder-scrolls-online/
    After 30s both mini bosses start their special mechanic Tiger jumps on someone and eats (must be interrupted or just killed in 30s before he does this mechanic)

Quit humping the DPS meter and interrupt.
    Edited by PlagueSD on March 27, 2018 11:49PM
    Options
  • OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PlagueSD wrote: »
    Umm, mechanics...This shouldn't even be an issue:
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-fang-lair-veteran-dungeon-guide-dragon-bones-elder-scrolls-online/
    After 30s both mini bosses start their special mechanic Tiger jumps on someone and eats (must be interrupted or just killed in 30s before he does this mechanic)

Quit humping the DPS meter and interrupt.

That is NOT the issue, say you burn him in 30 seconds, if the main boss then does not die fast enough the senche gets up. And then, what does he do IMMEDIATELY? Rocket mode. Usually that this point there is literally everything going on around you and getting a clear sight line to interrupt is more difficult at that moment, especially if the senche has already grabbed you by the time they become aware of it.

Also, don't be so condescending as to link guides on dungeons to me. I have to learn and follow mechanics more closely than most to keep my spot and have others have faith in me in everything. I have achievements and skins piling up (was 5% of Zaan's health from no death, which would have just left HM for skin) Trust me it's NOT a mechanics issue.

This is why i didn't ask for any change in mechanics because my group WILL get this. I trust in them and while they have gone and got vet completions of Fang Lair in other groups (never going to blame them for that) they stick by me for it and we're still working on it.

What i am asking for is to have the same chance to use my quick emotes the same way someone on comms can call out. Is a level playing field too much to ask for?
    Options
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you mark target in console like tab in PC? If there is then just mark target that senche. It's easy to see the glowing target jump.
    Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who is mute i can't tell my team ...

How about recording (obviously using someone else's voice) a short phrase/word and have a way to quickly play that into the mic?
    idea.gif
    Options
  • OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    As someone who is mute i can't tell my team ...

How about recording (obviously using someone else's voice) a short phrase/word and have a way to quickly play that into the mic?
    idea.gif

Again the solution to my muteness is a mic? :lol:

In the past i have used text to speech and you have to have it be loud enough and aimed exactly at the right angle for the mic to pick it up clearly.
    This would be fine if i could plug in a separate mic and headphones. Then i could set it at the exact angle and just hit play as needed.

But the headsets for console have the mic's attached. This makes using that option even slower than typing because i have to line up my phone speaker with the headset exactly and then hit play.
    Options