The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Gryphons on Summerset - Your Thoughts?

Enodoc
Enodoc
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
The new Summerset announcement mentions griffins gryphons as a new creature that will be encountered during the chapter. The only previous references to gryphons that I can find are as alchemy ingredients in Daggerfall (Gryphon's Feathers), and a bunch of taverns with "Griffin" in the name in Arena.

Based on the Daggerfall ingredient, one could have assumed that gryphons were native to High Rock, rather than Summerset, and the symbology of a gryphon as a hybrid also fits better with the Breton culture (Altmer have eagles, Nedes would have lions, so Bretons symbolically could have eagles+lions=gryphons). Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on why gryphons have appeared on Summerset, when there is a clear precedent in Altmeri culture of the symbolism of the eagle (alone), and to a deeper extent, the "Sun Birds"?
UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not impressed with the Bald Eagle look, to be honest.

I am, however interested in the sound design. Because Bald Eagles chirp.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlq2kcYQcLc
    Edited by VaranisArano on March 21, 2018 10:55PM
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    The new Summerset announcement mentions griffins gryphons as a new creature that will be encountered during the chapter. The only previous references to gryphons that I can find are as alchemy ingredients in Daggerfall (Gryphon's Feathers), and a bunch of taverns with "Griffin" in the name in Arena.

Based on the Daggerfall ingredient, one could have assumed that gryphons were native to High Rock, rather than Summerset, and the symbology of a gryphon as a hybrid also fits better with the Breton culture (Altmer have eagles, Nedes would have lions, so Bretons symbolically could have eagles+lions=gryphons). Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on why gryphons have appeared on Summerset, when there is a clear precedent in Altmeri culture of the symbolism of the eagle (alone), and to a deeper extent, the "Sun Birds"?

I'm not even sure sun birds are a thing anymore, dude. Nothing in Summerset looked creative or interesting to me. It's a shame because they used to be my favorite race.

But to answer your question, yes everything you said would have made more sense than what we got. Zenimax just thought "high fantasy" when they designed Summerset, so they threw gryphons in. It's that simple.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »

I'm not even sure sun birds are a thing anymore, dude. Nothing in Summerset looked creative or interesting to me. It's a shame because they used to be my favorite race.

But to answer your question, yes everything you said would have made more sense than what we got. Zenimax just thought "high fantasy" when they designed Summerset, so they threw gryphons in. It's that simple.

Source?
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd say that a Harpy Eagle would have been better for the base bird.
    img_7402.jpg?itok=SJmOLaqR

Also that baby gryphon looks cute as h*ck
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The new Trial IIRC involves Aldmeri Gryphon riders, so maybe the Direnni keep some for their own forces? Or did at one point, and some got loose?

Anyway the symbolism of a culture doesn't necessarily determine what wildlife exists nearby. There are frogs all over the place, and no one uses them. And we've got Haj Mota living in Hammerfell - you'd think someone would want something big and dangerous like that for their crest, but as far as I know no one has it.

(I badly want to link the fanlore I wrote on the subject a while back but on the off chance someone will take it seriously, I won't.)
    I'm not impressed with the Bald Eagle look, to be honest.

Second that. Maybe the texture just needs another pass, but it looks like it stuck its head in some paint.

#proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of gryphons on Summerset rather than anywhere else. Gryphons are mystical creatures and Summerset is a mystical place. I think gryphons roosting in Summerset is much more fitting than some place like High Rock. While High Rock is a human High Fantasy setting. For some reason the idea of humans in a high fantasy setting having their own myths and legends of such mystical creatures, that actually exist in a much more fantasical setting, is interesting to me.

As for eagles and sunbirds. We havent seen everything of this new zone or all of the creatures. Im hoping they did infact add these two types of birds and didnt over look it. But its possible they did. Its also possible they thought gryphons would bring so much more hype for casual players without knowledge of Summerset lore. A sunbird would definitely make lorebeards hype, but it might not grab the kind of attention a gryphon does for the casual player.
    Edited by Korah_Eaglecry on March 23, 2018 3:22AM
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and to a deeper extent, the "Sun Birds"?
    Not sure we'll finally get some Sun Birds to witness as expected, but something caught my attention in the Summerset Gameplay Trailer, two "sun mounts" :
    traile10.jpg

Given the accompagnying mounts, I fear it will be some psijic-themed mounts from these stupid gambling crates.
    Any information yet?

But anyway this let us preview that "sun creatures" are existing there somehow...
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boring and uninspired. I would much rather see some proper Altmeri Sun Birds.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you OP for this thread!
    After watching the trailers and hearing Rich on the announcement video, a couple of things jumped out at me, but due to my work atm, haven't had time to go and research them.
    1, The issue of gryphons in Summerset, as you stated, made me wonder. I agree with you about them being more Breton. But since the only bit of lore we have is "feathers", who knows...
    2. Rich made a statement talking about the new trial in "Cloudrest" and that the "Welkynar Gryphon Knights" were Gryphon Riders! I have not ever seen in lore, but I could be wrong, riding of flying mounts, (exceptions Dragonborn and Talos). Is this REALLY in lore? I have championed the "No Flying Mounts in ESO" campaign, but this could rally the "Give Us Flying Mounts" crowd. Thoughts?
    3. At the very end of the Gameplay Trailer, there is a Pegasus!! Thoughts on this??
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    3. At the very end of the Gameplay Trailer, there is a Pegasus!! Thoughts on this??

What time in the trailer? Because I'd thought I'd seen one but then I froze the frame and it turned out it was just a white Gryphon at a weird angle. :(

• wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What time in the trailer? Because I'd thought I'd seen one but then I froze the frame and it turned out it was just a white Gryphon at a weird angle. :(

At 1:50
    I think you are right. I is just a white gryphon at a weird angle.
    Thanks!!!!
    Huzzah!!
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

• Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I cannot really speak from a Lore point of view, as I do not know it well enough. But griffins/gryphons are one of my favourite mythological creatures, so personally I am really happy to see them come to the game, just like I was when Minotaurs were added :)
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    Are the Gryphon riders Ayleids?
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Eporem wrote: »
    Are the Gryphon riders Ayleids?

Altmer
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS

• Auldjohn
    Auldjohn
    ✭✭✭✭
    From what I gather from the Announcement stream and trailers, the Gryphons of Summerset seemed based on eagles, four-legged with bird talons. The gryphons do seem High Magic based, so in my mind appropriate to the theme in Summerset and Artaeum. I'm somewhat of an ES Lore aficionado, as well as Medieval Heraldry lore.

Gryphon from Magicstream Wikia seems similar:

latest?cb=20100228184639

Perhaps our Loremaster or one of the Lore Devs could comment. Also, please phonetically pronounce Arteum's name. At-TAY-um?
    @AuldjohnThe Elder Sages' GuildMaster Sage & Co-Founderfacebook.com/groups/theeldersagesguild
    "Old gamers never die; they just respawn and game on!" • Our Slogan: Have Fun!!

Moot Envoy • Tamriel Foundry Adept • Steam ID Auldjohn
    YouTube auldjohnmastersage • Twitch AuldjohnPCGamer• Steam Group TESGs
  • Kevin_of_Devinshire
    I see it being a new mount in a year.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we sure they are gryphons? Gryphons usually are chimeras, Summerset's creatures look more like 4-legged eagles.
    Although I guess the ears technically could make them chimeras.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I see it being a new mount in a year.

It doesnt make sense to have a gryphon mount that doesnt fly. But then again we did have a stiff cape with Breton hero costum...
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    Are we sure they are gryphons? Gryphons usually are chimeras, Summerset's creatures look more like 4-legged eagles.
    Although I guess the ears technically could make them chimeras.

@Faulgor We're sure.
    Boldly built atop the peak of Eton Nir, Cloudrest is the home of the Welkynar Gryphon Knights and their Aerie. But be warned: due to an unforeseen catastrophe, the Divine Prosecution has been forced to evacuate the city and barricade the main gate. If you wish to enter you may need to find an alternative path.

• Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    Could the Bird Men be connected at all to the Gryphons?

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Bird_Men

Edited by Eporem on March 24, 2018 2:26PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering those were eaten up by the Khajiit a long time ago, probably not.
    cat-eating-bird.jpg

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the accompagnying mounts, I fear it will be some psijic-themed mounts from these stupid gambling crates.

Does the Sun rise in the east? Of course they will be in crates.

NPC riding flying mounts... Does that open the door for flying mounts in the Crown Store?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭

cat-eating-bird.jpg

So it is believed:)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

cat-eating-bird.jpg

So it is believed:)

The Khajiiti would never lie to us. Right?
    Edited by Elsonso on March 24, 2018 3:03PM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NPC riding flying mounts... Does that open the door for flying mounts in the Crown Store?

What I'd like to know is, where have these guys been during the Alliance War? Even if they did nothing but scout, flying scouts would be incredibly useful. And if they could rain down fireballs or drop sacks of caltrops, even better!

I would like to see, but am not hopeful for, some sort of explanation. Maybe the Gryphons evaporate into mist when exposed to the mainland. Something.

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What I'd like to know is, where have these guys been during the Alliance War? Even if they did nothing but scout, flying scouts would be incredibly useful. And if they could rain down fireballs or drop sacks of caltrops, even better!

I would like to see, but am not hopeful for, some sort of explanation. Maybe the Gryphons evaporate into mist when exposed to the mainland. Something.

Good point. I guess they are neutral in this conflict. Likely does not sit well with others.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure we'll finally get some Sun Birds to witness as expected, but something caught my attention in the Summerset Gameplay Trailer, two "sun mounts" :
    traile10.jpg

Any information yet?

But anyway this let us preview that "sun creatures" are existing there somehow...

Well, well, well, those "sun" mounts looks really well. I hope they aren´t locked in scam crates.
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No

The ingredient is just a name, its in several
    other locations ingame.

Gryphons are mainly bird like creatures, native to summerset with no relation to high rock
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also breton culture is as interesting as watching paint dry.

Boring human basic stuff. Incredibly inferior to Altmer power and influence and history
    Edited by Nelson_Rebel on March 24, 2018 5:48PM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    traile10.jpg

Any information yet?

Well, well, well, those "sun" mounts looks really well. I hope they aren´t locked in scam crates.

Those two glowing yellow mounts are likely going to be the new Psijic crown crate mounts.... so maybe “Pysijic [mount type]”. The Senche is the pre-order Nightmare Senche and the dark red mount is the Collector’s Edition Bloodwraith Steed.