The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

JEWELRY CRAFTING: Implications on the economy, gear meta, endgame, etc.

• Kumbiya
    Kumbiya
    ✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    I think it will greatly increase interest in NORMAL Trials. Then people will only do Vet trials if they specifically want a challenge. I am a big fan of normal trials so I'd be happy with that.

We will have less terribly bad players in Vet because they can just upgrade their normal rings. Still be some because of monster helms though.

I would still of preferred the enchanting style crafting to encourage players to improve but I am also soooooo happy I don't have to get good enough to do either VetWGT or VetMoL to get the gear I want.

Nah, they'll still be terribly bad. Gear is only part of successful raiding, and doesn't make much difference if you don't understand the rest of the mechanics of the game (such as weaving/maintaining a rotation, CP distribution, being able to successfully do mechanics..)
    CP 700+
    Rohuku - Redguard StamDK/Tank & Master Crafter
    Mogubishu - Altmer Warden Healer/Mag DPS
    Ruyanril - Dunmer Magblade
    Treads-Muddy-Waters - Argonian DK Tank

vAA HM/vHRC HM/vSO HM/vMoL/vHoF/vAS/vDSA/vMA
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the implication was that if people can upgrade jewelry, people who aren't up to vet trials and know that won't run them.
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jewelry crafting, great stuff !
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this thread was pulled off the General Discussion and put in a crafting subforum. The crafting subforum is for EXISTING crafts in the game, not a discussion of up and coming features.
    Welcome provisioners, alchemists, enchanters, and smiths! Please use this forum to discuss everything related to gathering and crafting items in ESO. Ask questions, share your favorite creations, and let us know what you think about crafting right here.

Mods please put this thread back where you found it.
  • reoskit
    reoskit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gather 100pcs of flyspec, and refine into 1 glipglop, then combine 100 glipglops into 1 flipflop, etc.

Lawl.

Thanks for the comprehensive writeup. All very valid considerations and potential concerns. I can't wait to see more details/PTS access; until then I won't get too fussed over researching new traits (whimper) or farming new mats (uhh...) or economy impact (eeeeek) or hoarding current jewelry for decon... Oh, who am I kidding?! I'm freaking out...
  • reoskit
    reoskit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    peacenote wrote: »
    The implications of this being tied to an expansion are hurting my head a little, lol.

I'm pretty sure this'll be a base game update.

Now, watch me eat these words.

• lassitershawn
    lassitershawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doubt this will decrease interest in endgame content. The main reason people do vTrials is for fun and challenge and cosmetics imo, the difference between blue and gold jewelry is pretty marginal. The only gear with a big difference is perfect asylum staves but that isn’t related to jewels at all. I actually think jewel crafting will increase interest in vet trials if u can decon jewels and sell the gold mats (hope it works this way, got a lot saved up).
    William Thorne - EP Breton Sorcerer
    Astrid Winterborn - EP Breton Warden
    Erik Ironskin - EP Nord Dragonknight
    Venasa Viri - EP Dunmer Nightblade

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Endgame Implications
    • Gold Jewelry is currently only available from completing Hardmode content and from top 2% PvP leaderboards.
    • There are concerns that the increased availability of gold Jewelry will decrease interest in endgame content.

If anyone can think of more gameplay, balance, crafting or economy implications, add them below and I will add them to this list.

Gold jewelry is also available from the Gold Vendor in Cyrodiil.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pray that we do not need more attunable crafting stations. :(
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to ruining the in-game economy with hideously overpriced Clever Alc/Kags/Morkuldin/Orgnum/TBS jewelry.

But seriously - get a grip. Jewelry crafting is an interesting addition to the game that will likely upset all the cookie-cutter meta's. This is a good thing. Plus - this is something most of us have been looking forward to for...well...years!
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would love to give you a "if they do this I will quit the game" post, but I won't do it anyway.

I think jewellery crafting is just a bad idea in every aspect but whatever. Gear has so little impact outside of stats and you get good gear so easily, what does it even matter?

ps: Salty comment is salty.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    Here's a thought: For all the people worried about "upgrading" jewelry from trials, so that you can do the normal mode trials to get gold jewelry, what if the gold tempers required to upgrade jewelry from rare to legendary only dropped in endgame content?

Sure you can upgrade that blue ring of the vicious ophidian you got from normal SO to a purple, but if you want gold you still have to do vet SO

Yes...but no. You can get a golden Warmachine ring by farming vAA.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • xXSilverDragonXx
    xXSilverDragonXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Six traits on jewelry better stick to the same timers as we have for other things in game. If they start messing with them and making people waste a full month on researching that is just evil.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Six traits on jewelry better stick to the same timers as we have for other things in game. If they start messing with them and making people waste a full month on researching that is just evil.

I assume they will stick to the same timetable, but you’re still looking at months for the nine jewelry traits, not six.

The six new traits mentioned during the Twitch stream were in addition to the existing three. Or, at least that’s how Rich’s message came across.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Personally I believe jewellery crafting will have a huge impact on PvE and PvP balance. There´re so many sets in this game that has huge potential if combined with another crafted set.
    IF (a big if) jewellery crafting is added to already existing sets, then I predict it will cause one of the biggest power-creeps this game has seen.

I don't believe this at all. Could you please give an example of sets that would induce power creep if combined?
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • esp1992
    esp1992
    ✭✭✭
    I know I’m gonna ge into Jewelry crafting. ;)
    Gonna lean towards Shacklebreaker and Juliannos.
    MY CHARACTERS

Clouse the White Warden - Breton AD MAG Warden
    Jaro the Wild Changeling - Bosmer AD STAM Warden
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doubt this will decrease interest in endgame content. The main reason people do vTrials is for fun and challenge and cosmetics imo, the difference between blue and gold jewelry is pretty marginal. The only gear with a big difference is perfect asylum staves but that isn’t related to jewels at all. I actually think jewel crafting will increase interest in vet trials if u can decon jewels and sell the gold mats (hope it works this way, got a lot saved up).
    Also if you do HM trials you get gold jewelry who can be decon for the gold tempers. They would be extremely expensive in the start, has found that my main source of gold tempers is from the master crafting writs but its an slow influx.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Also if you do HM trials you get gold jewelry who can be decon for the gold tempers. They would be extremely expensive in the start, has found that my main source of gold tempers is from the master crafting writs but its an slow influx.

This. I have no idea why people are thinking nobody is gonna run vets. People run vets to make gold already not items *Cough selling vet skin runs*. Now peeps will get gold tempers from JC which btw for the first month will probably be near 4X what it will cost in two months post launch. Vet raiders are gonna make such bang for the buck running dungeons.

They don't even have to do hard Vets either. Break down JC gold items from easier trials. It isn't gonna reduce the amount of people running vet trials. I think it will will increase people farming easier vet trials for EZ money.
    Edited by karekiz on March 27, 2018 9:09PM
  • reoskit
    reoskit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vet raiders are gonna make such bang for the buck running dungeons.

Not the worst thing in the world, imo. When the drops went BOP it killed off a whole slew of raider traders (trademark pending). I'll be happy to see them return to the market.

Edited by reoskit on March 28, 2018 1:01PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reoskit wrote: »
    Vet raiders are gonna make such bang for the buck running dungeons.

Not the worst thing in the world, imo. When the drops went BOP it killed off a whole slew of raider traders (trademark pending). I'll be happy to see them return to the market.
    Yes it would be good for the game. it would be interesting to see how much the first gold tempers will sell for.
    Obviosly it will be an rush the first days as I guess lots will save them from now.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hope gold tempers for jewelry aren't restricted to a loot table only from deconstruction of existing golden jewelry. None of the other crafting skills follow that idea, and it would be a bad precedent to set.

I would hope there would be "raw" jewelry materials that, when refined, offer the various tempers like how the current system works. A daily crafting writ for jewelry would also be nice with the rewards having the potential to drop gold tempers as well.

You know what? After I got done typing that out I realized how selfish it is to hope for that system. I am a crafter at heart, and have neither the time, nor skill, to run vet trials to get gold jewelry in the current format. I want jewelry crafting to provide an alternative method for me to acquire gold jewelry, and I think it will. But, for those players who are skilled enough to gather gold jewelry, I don't think they should be punished due to my inability to complete the content.

In a way, the need/demand for gold jewelry is not all that great. There are the BiS sets that I would benefit greatly from being able to craft/improve jewelry to gold, but half of the BiS sets will be filling non-jewelry slots. I will also be able to switch jewelry between my characters pretty much at will, so I will technically only need one set of each.

In the ten minutes it's taken to compose this, I've completely changed my mind, and think in order to maintain the "rarity" or "specialness" (trademark pending) of gold jewelry, gold tempers should only be available as deconstruction loot from other golden jewelry to provide some type of financial reward for vet trial runners or PvPers who wish to decon their gold jewelry and sell the tempers.

I'm sure it'll cost me a lot of gold if this is the case, but that's something I'm prepared to live with just to have access to gold jewelry of my choice (and not relying on the golden vendor's RNG).
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    Will the upgrade/quality improvement work on non-crafted jewelery though?

Well, the upgrade/quality improvement works on non-crafted armor and weapons, so I'd guess it will work on jewellery also.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    Furnishing recipes based off of jewelry crafting skill line.

ZOS make it happen.

"soon....." >:)
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • reoskit
    reoskit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The implications of this being tied to an expansion are hurting my head a little, lol.

... welp.

"Note that the Summerset Chapter is required to use the new Crafting Stations."

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26347
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

... welp.

Wow! So the stations are going to be everywhere throughout Tamriel, but you won't be able to use them unless you have the chapter. I really thought it was going to be a base-game addition. Well, the stations are, but being able to use them isn't.

Not sure how I feel about that. I've already pre-purchased Summerset, so it's not an issue for me, but I guess this is one way they hope to generate sales. Without the chapter, you can't craft jewelry.

ETA: This has implications for any furnishings they create with the new skill, although those can be purchased from other players at guild traders. Come to think of it, this could be a small boost to crafters who have access to Summerset, since they could sell crafted pieces to those without the chapter.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on March 28, 2018 6:51PM
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

... welp.

Wow! So the stations are going to be everywhere throughout Tamriel, but you won't be able to use them unless you have the chapter. I really thought it was going to be a base-game addition. Well, the stations are, but being able to use them isn't.

Not sure how I feel about that. I've already pre-purchased Summerset, so it's not an issue for me, but I guess this is one way they hope to generate sales. Without the chapter, you can't craft jewelry.

ETA: This has implications for any furnishings they create with the new skill, although those can be purchased from other players at guild traders. Come to think of it, this could be a small boost to crafters who have access to Summerset, since they could sell crafted pieces to those without the chapter.

With clockwork city, everyone could use the transmute stations. (if someone had then in their house). I thought this would be the same. Locking it behind the chapter is just another ZOS thing thats going to *** off the populace.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’ve already pre-purchased Summerset so it’s not a big deal for me, but it really surprised me to see Jewelry crafting behind the chapter wall instead of base game. That is really getting close to a “Pay-To-Win” scenario. I guess one way out of that is the possibility of creating Jewelry that everyone can purchase from a guild vendor.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I believe jewellery crafting will have a huge impact on PvE and PvP balance. There´re so many sets in this game that has huge potential if combined with another crafted set.
    IF (a big if) jewellery crafting is added to already existing sets, then I predict it will cause one of the biggest power-creeps this game has seen.

I don't believe this at all. Could you please give an example of sets that would induce power creep if combined?

I´ve a few combinations for PvP, at least for my werewolf. But won´t share them here.

But if we get the ability to change trait on jewelleries as well, then it will open up the opportunities to a power creep in PvE as well. Some heavy armor sets that comes only with healthy jewels I can imagine being really potent. I´m 100% sure some players and theorycrafter's will come up with new setups that will outperform the current ones by miles. Just because we can´t see it today doesn´t mean that there won´t be any gamebreaking setups when jewellery-crafting gets added.
    Edited by Qbiken on March 29, 2018 6:42AM
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I´ve a few combinations for PvP, at least for my werewolf. But won´t share them here.

No need to be mysterious and obscure. It's pretty obvious which sets are good for werewolf.

Pelinals and Shacklebreaker come to mind, secondarily, Fortified Brass and Kvatch Gladiator. None of these sets would be game breaking if combined, but it would make a strong werewolf build.
  • Gorilla
    Gorilla
    ✭✭✭

Gilding rings will have little impact...people are griping for no reason.

Crafted set rings can have a major impact, however, and I plan to wear only crafted gear.

Traits are variable as I don't know what they are.