The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

switching from normal to steam

mwo1480
mwo1480
✭✭✭✭
so i got the game by disk/site download and have (almost) all dlc,
but i am thinking to go play by steam (yes i know i need to rebuy the game on steam) as its easyer for me to buy crowns by steam thn other ways
(dont want my gf see my bank info about buying more eso stuff(sarcasm))
Do i need to rebuy all dlc if i log on on steam version with my account, or will i still have acces to them (totally dont wanna rebuy morrowind expension?
i did google it, but only find old threads with conflicting awnsers
Edited by mwo1480 on March 8, 2018 10:40PM
eu/pc
every char has a story

anne-susan ...breton sorch DC
seline kay .... bosmer dk AD
julia-noor ...bosmer temp DC
elle wolf .... breton temp AD
Mari-Lynn.... woodelf nb AD former empress
Mari-chan... woodelf warden AD
(and more chars)

Best Answer

• danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is an answer from someone who has actually done it.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/387577/linking-existing-eso-account-to-steam-account
    LordSemaj wrote: »
    Aeladiir wrote: »
    Okay, what's the catch? Has anyone done it?

Will I, if I link my current ESO account, need to buy content straight from Steam afterwards (i. e. expansions, crowns, etc.) or will I still be able to buy stuff via ESO Store on the official website?

Yes, I've done it.

Linking with Steam is as simple as owning a Steam version of the base game and logging in once. When you log in from Steam, it will ask you for your ESO account info. As soon as you enter your info, your accounts will be linked and you can from that point on use the Steam version or the ESO launcher from the website.

You do not have to rebuy anything. In the past you did have to but they are now a single account. One Tamriel, One Account, and you can buy crowns or content from EITHER location freely. I actually purchased several DLCs and Morrowing through Steam while picking up the recent DLCs from the ESO website.
    Edited by danno8 on March 8, 2018 11:19PM
    Answer ✓
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mwo1480 wrote: »
    (dont want my gf see my bank info about buying more eso stuff)

Wouldn't getting a different gf be easier/better?
  • mwo1480
    mwo1480
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kodrac wrote: »

taking all cyrodill keeps solo while blindfolded is easyer thn finding a different gf
    eu/pc
    every char has a story

(and more chars)
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got the game on Steam and then just added things to my ESO account (Morrowind mainly). If you link your Steam account to your existing ESO account you should be good to go (as in only having to buy the base game on Steam).
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    486387be777d15de947cbf744da88af7.jpg
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

taking all cyrodill keeps solo while blindfolded is easyer thn finding a different gf

Feels bad, man. Lots of fish in the sea. There's a few that aren't so controlling as to scrutinize your financials. If you're hiding something as meaningless as games what else is she going to have a problem with that you'll have to hide?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a Steam Hater. So, I say this neutrally, for this game, don't saddle yourself with the added complexity of having to Launch Log to Steam, then Launch Log to the game, all so you can hide your activities from your GF.

Use a Pre-Paid Credit Card instead.

And, money issues are the number one reason for conflict in a relationship. Work that out, or separate your finances, keeping a joint account only for house hold expenses.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Feels bad, man. Lots of fish in the sea. There's a few that aren't so controlling as to scrutinize your financials. If you're hiding something as meaningless as games what else is she going to have a problem with that you'll have to hide?

I can't wrap my head around what the difference is. I mean she will figure out that steam = games pretty quick.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • mwo1480
    mwo1480
    ✭✭✭✭
    dont take the gf part serious, steam is easyers as i have money on it and not intending to buy other games, and getting steamcards once in a while for work,

just want to know if i need to rebuy all dlc,
    Edited by mwo1480 on March 8, 2018 10:49PM
    eu/pc
    every char has a story

(and more chars)
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DONT GO THE STEAM ROUTE..HUGE mistake.

Steam often has server issues or log in issues that the non steam accounts do not get affected by
  • mwo1480
    mwo1480
    ✭✭✭✭
    let me ask it different

if i buy eso on steam, thn log in with my account in steam will my dlc also be there or need i rebuy them
    if i buy crowns on steam and play on steam to get them ingame, can i thn logg in on the non steam version and will those crowns be there thn (using same eso acc ofc)
    Edited by mwo1480 on March 8, 2018 11:06PM
    eu/pc
    every char has a story

(and more chars)
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No. You can only log into a steam ESO game, through steam.

think of it as

PC
    STEAM
    XBOX
    PLAYSTATION

Those are your options to play the game and there is NO crossover.
    Edited by Raideen on March 8, 2018 11:08PM
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you buy normal ESO without anything you are able to download the game. If you can download the game, you can get to the log in screen. From there, you can log into any account if you have the password and it should have everything that account has UNLESS (and I don't know how it works with steam) there is no log in screen through steam as it recognizes your steam account or something.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    DONT GO THE STEAM ROUTE..HUGE mistake.

Steam often has server issues or log in issues that the non steam accounts do not get affected by

Yes, I stay away from 3rd party launchers. More things that can fail and prevent you from playing the game. Just look at all the issues with Xbox Live and Playstation Network. I don't ever play games that require me to go through multiple authentication steps.

Moving to steam is like putting up a fence around your property. You can only get in when there is a guard on duty. If he calls in sick, you can't get to your house.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    let me ask it different

if i buy eso on steam, thn log in with my account in steam will my dlc also be there or need i rebuy them
    if i buy crowns on steam and play on steam to get them ingame, can i thn logg in on the non steam version and will those crowns be there thn (using same eso acc ofc)

The two games do not intermingle, at all. Not characters, not inventory, not crowns, not DLC's, not Mail*, not Guilds, nothing. It would be an alternate account and everything that entails.

Steam adds nothing to this game, other than telling your Steam friends you are playing it. And, you can do that by linking your current game to Steam. I have nothing against Steam, I have it and like it. But Steam is not something you want to saddle this game with unless it is the only way you can buy the game.

*well, you can mail items from one account to the other as long as they are on the same server
    Edited by Nestor on March 8, 2018 11:20PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• mwo1480
    mwo1480
    ✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/387577/linking-existing-eso-account-to-steam-account

Will I, if I link my current ESO account, need to buy content straight from Steam afterwards (i. e. expansions, crowns, etc.) or will I still be able to buy stuff via ESO Store on the official website?

Yes, I've done it.

Linking with Steam is as simple as owning a Steam version of the base game and logging in once. When you log in from Steam, it will ask you for your ESO account info. As soon as you enter your info, your accounts will be linked and you can from that point on use the Steam version or the ESO launcher from the website.

You do not have to rebuy anything. In the past you did have to but they are now a single account. One Tamriel, One Account, and you can buy crowns or content from EITHER location freely. I actually purchased several DLCs and Morrowing through Steam while picking up the recent DLCs from the ESO website.

omg THANK U, this is the info i was looking for
    why is that thread not higher on google (might be location difference maybe)
    eu/pc
    every char has a story

(and more chars)
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I've done it.

omg THANK U, this is the info i was looking for
    why is that thread not higher on google (might be location difference maybe)

What's amazing is how many people gave you a wrong answer based on nothing.
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    Those are your options to play the game and there is NO crossover.

Ah, I see a well informed person that has first hand experience here. Really great to have your input, sir!
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I did tell him that, didn't I? ;)
  • mwo1480
    mwo1480
    ✭✭✭✭

Well, I did tell him that, didn't I? ;)

u kinda did, i see, must have overlooked it, thank u 2
    eu/pc
    every char has a story

(and more chars)
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm coming in late on this thread, but I really like my Steam account. I have both a Steam account and a regular account and honestly, the Steam account has a lot to offer. My absolute favorite thing about Steam is that if my computer completely dies and I have to go get another one, I need only log into my steam account and start reinstalling the games I've purchased.
    I recently went out and purchased several old games from Steam that I already owned so I could get rid of the retail in box copies.

I've been trying to transition to my Steam account as the primary one that I play, but my original main character on the regular account is so far ahead in motif knowledge that it's sort of depressing to try to get caught up.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!