The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Linking existing ESO Account to Steam Account

Aeladiir
Aeladiir
✭✭✭✭✭
Okay, what's the catch? Has anyone done it?

Will I, if I link my current ESO account, need to buy content straight from Steam afterwards (i. e. expansions, crowns, etc.) or will I still be able to buy stuff via ESO Store on the official website?
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You cant. Only way is to buy the game on Steam, and transfer all the stuff you have. All DLC's, Morrowind and crownstore stuff has to be rebought in the steam-version.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Linking your existing ESO account to Steam would mean that all account management is done through Steam so buying crowns and ESO plus are handle through Steam.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • iiYuki
    iiYuki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to buy the steam version base game, however you dont need to rebuy anything else you already have, you just buy and download the steam version and log in on your pre existing account, also DLC aren't sold through steam, crowns are though. I dont know about buying from the ESOStore though.
    "Play how you want... unless its not how we intended you to play in which case we'll nerf it".
    - ZO$

- The ZO$ Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmUJWP_ebsQ
  • Aeladiir
    Aeladiir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @ all three of you. I guess linking with Steam is not an option for me then.
    Edited by Aeladiir on January 1, 2018 12:52PM
  • Xundiin
    Xundiin
    ✭✭✭✭
    All you have to do is buy another account. So wait till it's dirt cheap pick it up then login with a pre-existing account. Once that is done it will unlock all the DLCs you have access to.
    #SavePlayer1
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aeladiir wrote: »
    Okay, what's the catch? Has anyone done it?

Will I, if I link my current ESO account, need to buy content straight from Steam afterwards (i. e. expansions, crowns, etc.) or will I still be able to buy stuff via ESO Store on the official website?

Yes, I've done it.

Linking with Steam is as simple as owning a Steam version of the base game and logging in once. When you log in from Steam, it will ask you for your ESO account info. As soon as you enter your info, your accounts will be linked and you can from that point on use the Steam version or the ESO launcher from the website.

You do not have to rebuy anything. In the past you did have to but they are now a single account. One Tamriel, One Account, and you can buy crowns or content from EITHER location freely. I actually purchased several DLCs and Morrowing through Steam while picking up the recent DLCs from the ESO website.
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What advantages will you have after switching?
  • Xundiin
    Xundiin
    ✭✭✭✭

I linked it because a lot of my friends that play games don't play ESO. This way they can message me if they see me in game and we can chat or I can switch to something we all like to play.
    #SavePlayer1
  • Greevir
    Greevir
    ✭✭✭✭
    And you're absolutely sure this works? Just want to make sure seeing as the store page on Steam says differently:
    GVUcJ7T.png
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can just add a non steam game to the overlay on steam just can't do any purchases through steam
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greevir wrote: »
    And you're absolutely sure this works? Just want to make sure seeing as the store page on Steam says differently:
    GVUcJ7T.png

I had an ESO account (although I didn't have the base game), which I linked to Steam after I got TU from the Humble Monthly gamepack. Now I'm playing through Steam, and I had to buy Morrowind there - but I didn't have to grab ESO+ through Steam.
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greevir wrote: »
    GVUcJ7T.png

That's old info. They changed the Steam/Zenimax split to they are now a single account. Just buy the game from Steam (still on sale for $9.99) and you can link the accounts and use either launcher and store after that.
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In that case I'm making the switch to ESO through Steam as well. Finally a decent use for my Link + Controller! Yay!
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • exiars10
    exiars10
    ✭✭✭
    For many people - local currency and Steam Wallet not to mention other Steam client advantages.
    Ydrisselle wrote: »
    I had an ESO account (although I didn't have the base game), which I linked to Steam after I got TU from the Humble Monthly gamepack. Now I'm playing through Steam, and I had to buy Morrowind there - but I didn't have to grab ESO+ through Steam.
    You don't have to buy Morrowind on Steam if you have Steam version of game. You can buy where you want and just activate it on your ESO account. Of course Steam won't see that you own Morrowind, but it will be on your account.
    Edited by exiars10 on January 2, 2018 9:28AM
    I don't play ESO since 15.06. because Cyrodiil is broken since Summerset (PvE isn't much better, too)...

Aldmeri Dominion (PC Europe via Steam)

The cowardly Wood Elves are best noted for their unwillingness to engage in a face-to-face attack; a Bosmer will strike at you from every side except the front. You won't cross swords with a Bosmer, but you might catch an arrow in the throat. Be wary in forests and jungles, and watch your back.
  • wtl
    wtl
    Soul Shriven
    I have a steam and a non steam version of the game that I got thinking they could be merged back before it was possible. I have been wondering if it was worth it to merge them now considering they now have different dlcs and a full roster of characters on each, or would I basically lose one of the accounts by doing so? Or is it even possible at this point anyway?
  • ryzen_gamer_gal
    ryzen_gamer_gal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aeladiir wrote: »
    Thanks @ all three of you. I guess linking with Steam is not an option for me then.

The benefit of buying from steam is this. If you ever quit you're zos account, all the content you bought from steam remains on steam. So if for some reason you close your zos account you can go back to steam and start over from scratch with whatever content you bought from steam. However, any content you bought from zos is lost to the ether should you quit your zos account.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linking your existing ESO account to Steam would mean that all account management is done through Steam so buying crowns and ESO plus are handle through Steam.

And it is just not wise to link your game to Steam. iirc anyone who links their account to Steam cannot log into ESO directly unless they linked the account early on. There are to many issues with ESO and Steam to take that chance unless you have no issue with being blocked from logging in for hours at a time.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly.... I bought the game initially on steam (per advice from a friend). I had SO many issues with connection. The first month, I wasn't able to connect until about 3 days before the end of the month I'd paid for (yes, I subbed ESO+ from the beginning - I ALWAYS pay my way in games).

I picked up the game again on a sale on the ZOS store. Since moving to the non-steam version, I haven't had any issues at all. I really dislike steam, always have. Only game I play on steam now is Skyrim - and I would LOVE to get rid of steam for that too.