Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Zos, how dose low pop bonus work?

ShadowMonarch
ShadowMonarch
✭✭✭✭
We need some answers. Sersiously how does low pop bonus work?

DC had it in sothra even though they had medium pop. And Right now EP has medium pop and a HUGE zerg, half the map. ANd they just got low pop bonus too. How the hell does it work?

Are you kidding me that the system is so broken its going to give a faction with only its tri keeps held 75 points, and the faction with the biggest current zerg 120 points even though we are holding them back?

Can we once and for all get some Answers on how this works. Seriously its providing too much of a bonus, its extending way passed when it shouldn't and its rewarding the laziest players for doing NOTHING AT ALL.

If a population is really low and a faction needs help to stay in the game that is understandable but mass logging out and zerging back in so you get the bonus is just dumb.

[edited title for clarity]
Edited by ZOS_Ragnar on February 27, 2018 1:57PM
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Meanwhile the only faction really trying and playing the game to its max is getting less points then the faction doing nothing but sitting at its Tri-keeps.

How does low pop bonus give so many points that having 9keeps, 6scrolls, 26resources, and a outpost getting out pointed by 3keeps,1outpost,10resources.
    Edited by ShadowMonarch on February 26, 2018 5:13AM
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Afaik low pop bonus works by checking populations over a 24h period which is then recalculated every hour. Only one faction can receive low pop bonus.
    ZOS is aware of the issues with this but wouldn't hurt to get confirmation
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Nermy
    Nermy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Afaik low pop bonus works by checking populations over a 24h period which is then recalculated every hour. Only one faction can receive low pop bonus.

Have been looking for confirmation for nearly 4 years now... lol!

I honestly don't think campaigns are that close in scoring for it to make too much difference anymore. And even if ZoS made it one alliance/one campaign, I doubt it will ever change.
    @Nermy
    Ex-Leader of The Wabbajack [EU EP PvP guild - Now stood down from active duty]
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

Nermden - EP Warden, Nerm-in'a'tor - EP Dragon Knight, N'erm - EP Sorcerer, D'arkness - EP Nightblade, Nermy - EP Templar

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." -General George S. Patton
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something always feels wrong. In Shor; it’s a 7 day campaign and yet with 2 days left and one faction being up by 1500 ; it seems like even when the trailing faction owns the map the last 2 days; they don’t catch up.
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭

Right now in sothra both ep and dc have the low pop bonus at same time.
    Edited by ShadowMonarch on February 27, 2018 6:03AM
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Let's get a little context here:

ATM, the NA/PC Sotha scoreboard looks something like this, 10 days into the campaign -
    AD - 17k
    DC - 11k (low pop bonus)
    EP - 7k (no low pop bonus)

TL;DR - AD zergstomping the map hard, confused why any faction is even breaking 5k points over it's duration.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure there is a serious issue with it. I am not aware of any instance where low pop bonus resulted in a faction receiving more than 2nd place.
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    usmcjdking wrote: »
    Let's get a little context here:

ATM, the NA/PC Sotha scoreboard looks something like this, 10 days into the campaign -
    AD - 17k
    DC - 11k (low pop bonus)
    EP - 7k (no low pop bonus)

TL;DR - AD zergstomping the map hard, confused why any faction is even breaking 5k points over it's duration.

Wrong.

https://imgur.com/a/1VXkr

Double Wrong.

Just a little while ago they were getting 89 points from their tri keeps and dragonclaw while we were only getting 85 with most of the map. At this point we can't afford to let DC gain any ground which doesn't help their low pop problem.

It is giving way too many points. That big gap between DC's 12k and ep's 8k is ALL low pop bonus cause EP is been active WAYYY more then DC. IS it fare they are robbed of 2nd because dc abuses low population bonus?
    Edited by ShadowMonarch on February 27, 2018 6:57AM
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't checked the scoreboard after this morning, and I'm not far off. Not too mention I made sure to give my statement some breathing room with the preface "something like" so lets hold the apprehension a bit.

DC doesn't abuse low population. There is simply no PVP that can get started there. DC cannot build momentum and get people to stay in the campaign because any activity on the map is responded by anywhere between 5-30 AD. So rather than just bite the bullet and keep trucking - we go to a different campaign lol. The only DC who get anything done are those who are on extraordinarily early US time and whenever a guild shows up which is not often.

The low pop bonus exists for this single purpose and it's relative. If you want DC to lose the low population bonus then you need to encourage DC to play there without the presence of a guild or large group during primetime. Many have us have done this by playing said faction instead of stacking harder into the faction whom has a gigantic pop advantage.
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't checked the scoreboard after this morning, and I'm not far off. Not too mention I made sure to give my statement some breathing room with the preface "something like" so lets hold the apprehension a bit.

DC doesn't abuse low population. There is simply no PVP that can get started there. DC cannot build momentum and get people to stay in the campaign because any activity on the map is responded by anywhere between 5-30 AD. So rather than just bite the bullet and keep trucking - we go to a different campaign lol. The only DC who get anything done are those who are on extraordinarily early US time and whenever a guild shows up which is not often.

The low pop bonus exists for this single purpose and it's relative. If you want DC to lose the low population bonus then you need to encourage DC to play there without the presence of a guild or large group during primetime. Many have us have done this by playing said faction instead of stacking harder into the faction whom has a gigantic pop advantage.

There is no encouraging them to play and not roflstomping them if they will get more points then us by just getting tri keeps + 1. We will never not roflstomp them if they are going to get more points then us for 4 keeps. And if your going to purposfully not play in the campaign then what do you need the points for? To get 2nd while EP that is trying gets third even though they have been twice as active as you?
    Edited by ShadowMonarch on February 27, 2018 7:29AM
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter to me, personally. But it certainly does matter to the average player in Sotha Sil. You need not look any further than your conviction with this post to understand why scores matter.
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter to me, personally. But it certainly does matter to the average player in Sotha Sil. You need not look any further than your conviction with this post to understand why scores matter.

So why should players who do not play or a faction that is almost completely absent get a advantage over a faction that is playing the game?

Why should DC who is a complete nonfactor be able to steal 2nd place from EP by doing nothing?

If you read my earlier posts you would know that I support a low pop bonus to keep a faction in the game, however I think it is way over preforming.

[Edit to remove bait]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on February 27, 2018 8:53PM
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ok to give more clarity. There are actually 2 types of scoring booster. One is "Low Score Bonus" when a faction is far enough behind the others. 2 factions can receive this. Then there is "low population bonus". Only one faction should be able to receive this (afaik)

Low score bonus gives a lower points boost than low population. They are also simply multipliers on the points a faction earns per tick. So if the faction is gated then they get far fewer points.

Low score bonus boosts the amount of AP you get whilst fighting for that faction too (by a decent % ) which is why campaigns with large score imbalances are good targets for farmers.

@Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure there is a serious issue with it. I am not aware of any instance where low pop bonus resulted in a faction receiving more than 2nd place.

PC/EU/Sotha - DC won the last 2 campaigns with some help of the low population bonus - so it can happen. Still a rare occurance, since a faction needs to be outnumbered quite significantly, and the bonus goes away as soon the low pop faction takes the lead, regardless of how low the actual population might be.
    So why should players who do not play or a faction that is almost completely absent get a advantage over a faction that is playing the game?

Why should DC who is a complete nonfactor be able to steal 2nd place from EP by doing nothing?

If you read my earlier posts you would know that I support a low pop bonus to keep a faction in the game, however I think it is way over preforming.

Why should players get a free win just for stacking on one side?
    Why should those few that are playing on an outnumbered faction not get rewarded for their efforts?
    5k+ score differences and you think the bonus is op? Since it is supposed to keep scores close and competitive, it looks more like it is not op enough. So it should kick in at lower population differences (so EP gets the bonus too) and should grant even more points, no?

I don't think the low population bonus in its current form is fair and well designed, but allowing those massive population imbalances in the first place is equally stupid. So if you want more fairness, you need to adress both issues.
    Edited by [Deleted User] on February 27, 2018 8:54PM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What you need is a better thread title.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh yes the cry for some explanation on why ZOS won’t say *** about cyrodiil or legit fix anything, letting update after patch after update go by with nary a real fix. Though we all have posted many a thread both ranting and informative, ZOS remains tight lipped about why PvP inthis game is broke af. ZOS just come out and say it, you don’t care about PvP and it will remain working as intended until the day the servers finally melt down.
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rianai wrote: »

PC/EU/Sotha - DC won the last 2 campaigns with some help of the low population bonus - so it can happen. Still a rare occurance, since a faction needs to be outnumbered quite significantly, and the bonus goes away as soon the low pop faction takes the lead, regardless of how low the actual population might be.

Why should players get a free win just for stacking on one side?
    Why should those few that are playing on an outnumbered faction not get rewarded for their efforts?
    5k+ score differences and you think the bonus is op? Since it is supposed to keep scores close and competitive, it looks more like it is not op enough. So it should kick in at lower population differences (so EP gets the bonus too) and should grant even more points, no?

I don't think the low population bonus in its current form is fair and well designed, but allowing those massive population imbalances in the first place is equally stupid. So if you want more fairness, you need to adress both issues.

Because players actually PLAYING THE GAME should win over players that decide NOT TO EVEN PLAY THE GAME.

Last night DC logged in and took over as much of the map as they could, by the time I went to bed they were getting over 145 points and they were only about 1/3rd the way done. They do this on purpose then log out again so they can farm the bonus during the night time hours.

It is CLEARLY abuse of the low population bonus and the bonus is CLEARLY giving WAYYYYYYYYY too many points.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with population in reality they are getting the bonus ON PURPOSE. They are literally choosing NOT TO PLAY because they can win easier by doing that then they can actually fighting.

The bonus should help keep a faction floating when their down, it shouldn't carry then all the way to the top.
    Edited by [Deleted User] on February 27, 2018 8:54PM
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok to give more clarity. There are actually 2 types of scoring booster. One is "Low Score Bonus" when a faction is far enough behind the others. 2 factions can receive this. Then there is "low population bonus". Only one faction should be able to receive this (afaik)

Low score bonus gives a lower points boost than low population. They are also simply multipliers on the points a faction earns per tick. So if the faction is gated then they get far fewer points.

Low score bonus boosts the amount of AP you get whilst fighting for that faction too (by a decent % ) which is why campaigns with large score imbalances are good targets for farmers.

If I go into the scoring and hover my mouse over the bonus they both read. "Low Population Bonus".

Neither of them say low scoring bonus they both read Low Population Bonus.

I can confirm that 2 factions have the Low Population Bonus at the same time. Not to mention that THEY HAVE KEPT THE BONUS even with MEDIUM population.
    Edited by ShadowMonarch on February 27, 2018 9:30PM
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello there,

Recently we've had to remove and alter a few posts for some unneeded flaming and baiting, both being against the Forum Rules. For further posts please be sure to stay constructive and respectful to avoid action on one's own account.

Thank you for understanding.
    Staff Post
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If I go into the scoring and hover my mouse over the bonus they both read. "Low Population Bonus".

I can confirm that 2 factions have the Low Population Bonus at the same time. Not to mention that THEY HAVE KEPT THE BONUS even with MEDIUM population.

As stated before, it's relative to the larger population and it's recalculated hourly. Meaning if you perpetually have 30 players in the campaign when there are maybe 2-5 on the opposing faction, and during prime time the low pop factions have 20-30, they still maintain the bonus.
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭

As stated before, it's relative to the larger population and it's recalculated hourly. Meaning if you perpetually have 30 players in the campaign when there are maybe 2-5 on the opposing faction, and during prime time the low pop factions have 20-30, they still maintain the bonus.

Ad at medium pop, Dc at medium pop with low pop bonus, and ep at low pop with no bonus when it happened so I know you are wrong and without factual information.
  • ilander
    ilander
    ✭✭✭
    This would most likely lead to some manner of exploitation if an explanation was actually given. Anyone who was playing PC/EU a few years ago will recall the yellows were getting this constantly despite having almost the same numbers as the other factions 90% of the time but it was looking like some bright spark worked out the timings for when the populations were calculated so they were basically milking a low pop bonus almost every day for AGES.

I play enough hours on Sotha/EU to know that the blues have a much smaller population a lot of the time compared to the reds (not sure about the yellows) and if there is a problem with the scoring, it is basically the fault of the consistently larger population(s) for not capitalising on the lower population of the blues. We are, of course, provided with population bars (pretty rubbish ones mind you) to see the general population on the servers although when the populations are lower, it might be harder to calculate a number difference amongst them so it is not as if the tools to see how to counter this bonus aren't in place already.
    Most Averagest Player EU PvP - More averager than you'll ever be.. GUARANTEED!

• usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Ad at medium pop, Dc at medium pop with low pop bonus, and ep at low pop with no bonus when it happened so I know you are wrong and without factual information.

You seem to not be taking into account that the amount of players is accrued over a period of time, not at each evaluation.
  • esotoon
    esotoon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last night DC logged in and took over as much of the map as they could, by the time I went to bed they were getting over 145 points and they were only about 1/3rd the way done. They do this on purpose then log out again so they can farm the bonus during the night time hours.

It is CLEARLY abuse of the low population bonus and the bonus is CLEARLY giving WAYYYYYYYYY too many points.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with population in reality they are getting the bonus ON PURPOSE. They are literally choosing NOT TO PLAY because they can win easier by doing that then they can actually fighting.

OK, obviously you are upset by this, but maybe take a step back a second?

There is very little benefit to winning the campaign, let alone coming second instead of third. So the idea that this is some master plan on behalf of DC players is patently absurd.

From a DC point of view, this effect you are seeing is simply the result of having ...dun, dun, dah... a low population.

Most of the times of day, during the current and last campaign, if you come on as a DC player, the map is all yellow. If you try to take anything, you will get pounced upon by multiple AD before you've even had chance to flip a resource. So unless you have a fairly good sized group of players to start with, there is literally nothing you can do in terms of the campaign (taking back keeps, etc.). There is zero pleasure in this. So yes, people are choosing not to stay on the server, but not because of trying to enable the low pop bonus, but because the campaign is unplayable at that point.

For the past several campaigns, the only DC Guild that fields a decent sized number of players is West Coast based. As a result, the only time there are enough DC players around to make any kind of push on the current campaign is late evening/night West Coast time. Because this guild has been regularly playing at the same time for going on a year, other Sotha players know that if they come on at this time, there will be enough players on to at least get into some keep fights given the current state of the campaign. Because this guild is west coast, they also attract Australian Players and European players.

As a result, the only time DC has any kind of population to go up against AD is late night American time. The majority of the rest of the day there are simply no DC groups around. This is why from your point of view, you are seeing DC come on and push at this time.

As a DC player, I would love it if we had more guilds on. Would love to have a couple large East Coast based guilds, so that we can have a larger presence for a longer period of time. But all the other DC guilds moved off the server, and the way things are going, the last remaining guild will be gone soon too.

It was made clear last campaign what the influx of AD players who were happy to gate camp all the time was doing to the campaign, and what would happen if they continued. And guess what? AD didn't listen. Fair enough, there is no one controlling AD players, and they are free to do what they want, so I don't blame them. But don't try and pass off the results of these actions combined with DC's low population, as some kind of deliberate ploy on the part of DC to get second in the campaign. After all, DC players paid for their game just as much as you did. DC players want to PVP just as much as you do. And just as you wouldn't deliberately stop playing a game you love just to get second place in what amounts to little more than a urination contest, neither would they.

If you want things to change, you need to encourage more players to come on the DC side. Perhaps instead of camping a dead map waiting for solitary blues to turn up, some of those AD could go level some DC characters and come join us next campaign and even out the playing field? Then you (and we) would get the fights we want, and you wouldn't have to worry about the ins and outs of the low pop bonus. :)
    Edited by esotoon on February 28, 2018 12:55AM
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    esotoon wrote: »

OK, obviously you are upset by this, but maybe take a step back a second?

There is very little benefit to winning the campaign, let alone coming second instead of third. So the idea that this is some master plan on behalf of DC players is patently absurd.

From a DC point of view, this effect you are seeing is simply the result of having ...dun, dun, dah... a low population.

Most of the times of day, during the current and last campaign, if you come on as a DC player, the map is all yellow. If you try to take anything, you will get pounced upon by multiple AD before you've even had chance to flip a resource. So unless you have a fairly good sized group of players to start with, there is literally nothing you can do in terms of the campaign (taking back keeps, etc.). There is zero pleasure in this. So yes, people are choosing not to stay on the server, but not because of trying to enable the low pop bonus, but because the campaign is unplayable at that point.

For the past several campaigns, the only DC Guild that fields a decent sized number of players is West Coast based. As a result, the only time there are enough DC players around to make any kind of push on the current campaign is late evening/night West Coast time. Because this guild has been regularly playing at the same time for going on a year, other Sotha players know that if they come on at this time, there will be enough players on to at least get into some keep fights given the current state of the campaign. Because this guild is west coast, they also attract Australian Players and European players.

As a result, the only time DC has any kind of population to go up against AD is late night American time. The majority of the rest of the day there are simply no DC groups around. This is why from your point of view, you are seeing DC come on and push at this time.

As a DC player, I would love it if we had more guilds on. Would love to have a couple large East Coast based guilds, so that we can have a larger presence for a longer period of time. But all the other DC guilds moved off the server, and the way things are going, the last remaining guild will be gone soon too.

It was made clear last campaign what the influx of AD players who were happy to gate camp all the time was doing to the campaign, and what would happen if they continued. And guess what? AD didn't listen. Fair enough, there is no one controlling AD players, and they are free to do what they want, so I don't blame them. But don't try and pass off the results of these actions combined with DC's low population, as some kind of deliberate ploy on the part of DC to get second in the campaign. After all, DC players paid for their game just as much as you did. DC players want to PVP just as much as you do. And just as you wouldn't deliberately stop playing a game you love just to get second place in what amounts to little more than a urination contest, neither would they.

If you want things to change, you need to encourage more players to come on the DC side. Perhaps instead of camping a dead map waiting for solitary blues to turn up, some of those AD could go level some DC characters and come join us next campaign and even out the playing field? Then you (and we) would get the fights we want, and you wouldn't have to worry about the ins and outs of the low pop bonus. :)

Wrong.

You are just trying to make a excuse to save 2nd place and attempt to take first because you and your faction are a bunch of low pop abusers. Nice try troll glad you spent a hour typing.

Knowingly coming on and trying to night cap every keep at 4am is pathetic.
  • esotoon
    esotoon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrong.

You are just trying to make a excuse to save 2nd place and attempt to take first because you and your faction are a bunch of low pop abusers. Nice try troll glad you spent a hour typing.

Knowingly coming on and trying to night cap every keep at 4am is pathetic.

You got me. I've been busted. I'm off to go and polish my collection of Silver Medals as they make my Mom so very proud.
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://imgur.com/a/Lf9R5
    Two low population bonus's at the same time. Both have had the bonus all day. All factions have been at low population for hours. DC has the biggest population on in cyrodil by a long shot at this time of the night for over a hour now, Disproving that it is being hourly checked and disproving that only 1 faction can have the bonus at a time.

https://imgur.com/a/Lf9R5
    Edited by ShadowMonarch on February 28, 2018 9:15AM
  • patents
    patents
    ✭✭✭
    check this out

https://imgur.com/a/Da4OH

DC with 247 points lol
    Edited by patents on February 28, 2018 1:08PM
  • patents
    patents
    ✭✭✭
    and this

https://imgur.com/a/gV0nD

Low Population bonus lol, really?
    Edited by patents on February 28, 2018 1:09PM
  • patents
    patents
    ✭✭✭
    PC/NA Sotha Sil @ EST 8am

The Low Population bonus needs to be removed, i dont understand why DC has this bonus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. when i see more DC than AD online at times. Low Score bonus is necessary as this will help to balance the map but Low Population bonus are subjectable to exploits

Is their Low Population bonus even legitimate?
    Edited by patents on February 28, 2018 1:10PM